WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we don't know if you'd have the same complaints about that, then. Shame.

Give it time. Its not much better, the camera angles doesnt help the game. I was really happy with the level from Mario 64 in Galaxy 2.

Might aswell be a professional games critic.

Edited by ajmcstyles

• Paid Members
Might as well not be - you disagree with pretty much everything that is generally agreed to be decent. I constantly find your opinions to be utterly bizarre.

I agree. ajmcstyles' "reviews" make my blood boil. I've yet to hear a positive review about any game at all, and would never expect one about any game that at least a dozen or more people enjoy. I wish he'd just trade in all his games and piss off.

I imagine this may be the place to look...

I used to be into Roms and Emulators and such but have long since falling out of the scene. But I'm on a retro gaming re-birth lately and looking for the best sites and stuff . Mostly N64 and Mega drive stuff. Can omebody point me in the right direction or am I better using Torrents and stuff?

• Paid Members

Can people please send a PM if they choose to answer that? I know we all have a good number of recommendations and stuff, but I'm a bit sketchy about linking to rom sites directly. So many of them are riddled with spyware and endless links/surveys/VOTE FOR ME!! shit too. Also yes, torrents are worth a look. You can get obscene ones with entire game libraries in them if you're so inclined.

I did wonder what was up when TripleA said the Sonic CD soundtrack was shit. I forgot that I have the Japanese rom.

ajmcstyles, I haven't played SMG2 yet, but if the jumping is unresponsive to the point of causing deaths then I'll be absolutely stunned, given that this was never the case in Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. The camera will occasionally screw you over in a third person action game or platformer. It's almost unavoidable, and developers have been trying to sort this for well over a decade now. That said, the aforementioned 3D Mario games have handled it about as well as you could reasonably expect, so again I'd be surprised if it's that big a hindrance to gameplay. I think the real issue is that collecting 70 stars didn't give you any gamerpoints because it's on the Wii.

ajmcstyles, I haven't played SMG2 yet, but if the jumping is unresponsive to the point of causing deaths then I'll be absolutely stunned, given that this was never the case in Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. The camera will occasionally screw you over in a third person action game or platformer. It's almost unavoidable, and developers have been trying to sort this for well over a decade now. That said, the aforementioned 3D Mario games have handled it about as well as you could reasonably expect, so again I'd be surprised if it's that big a hindrance to gameplay. I think the real issue is that collecting 70 stars didn't give you any gamerpoints because it's on the Wii.

Gave up with my gamescore since my 360 drive died so moved onto the wii and ps3 which im really enjoying.

As for possitive, well I fell head over heels for Perfect Dark on the XBLA, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (Even though I couldnt beat that Bird Race in cloud coocoo land). I grew up gaming on the Commadore 64 since I was 3 and gameplay and fun was the big issue over graphics. Mario on the N64 and SNES are solid gold cos it was fun.

I have flower too since it was on offer. Thats good for graphics and working well with music.

It just as TripleA said makes my blood boil when a game gets a perfect score when its FAR FAR from perfect. As for Mario id love that game if the camera were sort but as mentioned they tried there best or I could use the Classic Controller over the nun chuck and remote and just have teh right stick act as the pointer.

Edited by ajmcstyles

I'm going to buy a PS3, are there any particularly great games I should look out for? I'm not after anything overly complicated or conveluted, in the past I've tended to get platformers, racing games and beat-em-ups. I'll be grabbing Little Big Planet 2, Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 and the AAA game when they're released. Is there a Theme Park game for it yet, I haven't been able to find one so far?

My trip to the sorting office this morning resulted in The Darkness Compendium (1000 pages of comic that the underrated game is based on) and a Sensational Sherri Classic Superstars action figure. Not Mario Galaxy 2 :(

It just as TripleA said makes my blood boil when a game gets a perfect score when its FAR FAR from perfect. As for Mario id love that game if the camera were sort but as mentioned they tried there best or I could use the Classic Controller over the nun chuck and remote and just have teh right stick act as the pointer.

Can't you control the camera the same way you could in Galaxy 1? It sounds like your main issue is that you just suck at using the remote. There's no way a Mario game would ever be released which is as unresponsive as you claim. It just wouldn't happen.

For Big Rob - you can't go wrong with Ratchet & Clank on the PS3 if you're looking for a platformer. There's no actual Theme Park game, but Thrillville: Off The Rails tries its best. I didn't think it was very good though...

While I'm here, a new Mortal Kombat trailer has surfaced online. Apparently it was made to try to sell the Mortal Kombat franchise to Warner Bros, in an attempt to get the series commissioned for a "reboot". I hate that phrase.

• Paid Members
I'm going to buy a PS3, are there any particularly great games I should look out for? I'm not after anything overly complicated or conveluted, in the past I've tended to get platformers, racing games and beat-em-ups. I'll be grabbing Little Big Planet 2, Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 and the AAA game when they're released. Is there a Theme Park game for it yet, I haven't been able to find one so far?

For your platforming needs, go for Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's the better of the 3 on the PS3, so if you were to pick just one, get that. Katamari Forever is pretty amazing too. 3D Dot Game Heroes is pretty good if you're into the old Zelda games from the NES and SNES. Modnation Racers sorts your kart games out, and there's a ton of downloadable PS1 games on there including MGS, Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3, and Theme Park and Theme Hospital.

For your platforming needs, go for Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's the better of the 3 on the PS3, so if you were to pick just one, get that. Katamari Forever is pretty amazing too. 3D Dot Game Heroes is pretty good if you're into the old Zelda games from the NES and SNES. Modnation Racers sorts your kart games out, and there's a ton of downloadable PS1 games on there including MGS, Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3, and Theme Park and Theme Hospital.

Cheers - are the downloadable games on the online network thing?

Cheers - are the downloadable games on the online network thing?

• Paid Members

With the housemate away, I connected the old Sega Master System and Megadrive, and SNES up to the big TV and raided eBay for some 99p catridge goodness.

From this, I have discovered that Super Wrestlemania on the Megadrive is shit. It looks almost identical to Royal Rumble on the SNES, but runs at half the speed and is horrifically unresponsive. Even on the easy setting I was getting trounced in every match. If I put the Auto-turbo switch on on my Competition Pro 6 button keypad (that's right, bitches), then you just get an infinite lock up. It it seemingly impossible to out tap the computer.

Royal Rumble on the SNES is so much better, but I got annoyed because a) even after applying a Sharpshooter to a destroyed Crush, you still have to pin him to win, and b) the Perfect Plex isn't recognised as a pin.

Super R-Type has disappointing music after being overly familiar with the Commodor 64 and Amiga versions. It's also pretty bastard hard.