2394 replies to this topic

#2101 Famous Mortimer

Famous Mortimer

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Exactly. Parents don't give a shit - any sales decrease due to parental concern will be easily outweighed by the increase from extra publicity and curious novelty.

One of those "bleakest moment you've ever witnessed" was some harried mother buying a couple of 18-rated games for her kid, who was maybe 9 or 10, and answering the guy who worked in Gamestation with an angry "no" when he asked if the games were for her kid or not (I had just seem him demand those games from her while they were looking round).

#2102 Emperorseb

Emperorseb

Mid Carder

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

What was better, Contra, Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes. Also, who here would fancy a Streets Of Rage vs. Final Fight crossover

Edited by Emperorseb, 02 November 2009 - 04:32 PM.

Alright, alright. I was just asking, sheesh!!

#2103 Tommy!

Tommy!

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Saga bass fishing with little plastic rod. Its amazing, god I love it. Its so simple but I just really enjoy it, and its good for the odd bite sized bit of gaming when I don't have time for a good go on Smackdown, Tiger woods or Killzone 2

DBeO55c.jpg

Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me.
And after all, you're Gladstone Small

#2104 kendal mint cake

kendal mint cake

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

Was that the on the Dreamcast? I used to love that. Thanks to insert name here for the recommendations, I've also downloaded Final Fantasy IV and VI. I don't know whee to start!

#2105 Tommy!

Tommy!

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Was that the on the Dreamcast?

yeah I believe so. It also had a arcade set up too if I remember correct. It's been out quite a while on Wii as a direct port and I finally gave it a go.

DBeO55c.jpg

#2106 kendal mint cake

kendal mint cake

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

It was pretty revolutionary at the time on a home console. The Dreamcast had so many little nuances that made it a real collectors item.

#2107 JLM

JLM

Off-topic = On-topic for this cat....2009's best

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

What was better, Contra, Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes.

Also, who here would fancy a Streets Of Rage vs. Final Fight crossover

Metal Slug > Gunstar Heroes > Contra.

That's highly debatable though. Metal Slug is the clear winner for me, but the other two are only separated by the fact that I love Treasure's art/characters/sense of humour and Gunstar Heroes just has so much character about it. It's short and it's actually quite easy by the standards of the genre, but it's a fantastic game and one I've completed many times over.

Final Fight/SOR cross-over? Meh. Final Fight is massively overrated.

I love scrolling fighters almost as much as VS. fighters, but FF suffers from being an arcade game built for short bursts and designed to take as many credits from you as possible. SOR was built for the Mega Drive, and number 2 in particular is one of the best and most playable games of the 16 bit era. Satisfying gameplay, great music, excellent character design and memorable boss battles that (on Very hard/Mania) were challenging but not completely unfair. I enjoy Final Fight, but SOR does everything better. I'd say that the best things FF did were a) Give SOR a decent game to rip off and b) contribute Guy and Hugo to the Streetfighter series. The world could have done without Cody in Alpha 3 and Maki in Capcom vs SNK 2. Oh, and Poison is pretty awesome. All gender-ambiguous and trampy. Cool character and quite an edgy one for the time. Haggar is a bad ass too. SOR is still miles better though. You know this.

A woman's voice, is such rarest flower. But I pick it. Vlad picks, petal from petal, until you are nudest you are ever being.

Until you are so nude.

#2108 Just Me

Just Me

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Anyone played Final Fight: Streetwise? It's actually not bad, though not a patch on The Warriors.

#2109 JLM

JLM

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

So the rumblings caused by that little teaser in the Stories from Liberty City manual is that the next GTA will be set in France. Paris would be a stupendous location, but it is the most speculative of speculation so far. Thoughts?

A woman's voice, is such rarest flower. But I pick it. Vlad picks, petal from petal, until you are nudest you are ever being.

Until you are so nude.

#2110 Just Me

Just Me

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'll be highly surprised if it happens. I think more of the typical GTA audience would be put off by it than it would attract or excite.

#2111 Joe_the_Lion

Joe_the_Lion

Epic fail of TEH LOLZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

I hope they don't do it - tearing myself away from coming up with ever more creative ways to kill Frenchies in order to actually complete the games missions may prove nigh on impossible.

#2112 JLM

JLM

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

What American setting would you go with next if they decided to stick with it? They've done Scarface Miami, Boyz N The Hood California and they've done more than enough with New York. The only thing they do confirm in that teaser is that the latter (well "Liberty City") is over. Or if not America, where? London would still be nice like.

Until you are so nude.

#2113 Just Me

Just Me

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Toronto could be interesting, if they shoehorned Niagara Falls in there.

#2114 Joe_the_Lion

Joe_the_Lion

Epic fail of TEH LOLZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Somewhere like Rio would be interesting. A colourful city with a dark underbelly, it would take the francise out of the States but you could also do it with english speaking characters without overly daft languages and still give the illusion that it's a departure from the North American GTA's we've seen so far.

#2115 Tommy!

Tommy!

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Anyone played Final Fight: Streetwise? It's actually not bad, though not a patch on The Warriors.

The Warriors is amazing. A really fun quite varied game, in my view any way, which really captured the story. It had me hooked all the way through with the excellent blend of game play and story.

On GTA, the setting is a secondary point for me. I just really didn't get much from GTA:SA and haven't got more than about 2Hrs or so into GTA4 in the 12 months I've had it. Its just all felt like more of the same and I just couldn't have cared less. I will no doubt give it another go, but 4 just didn't draw me in or make me feel like I was having some big new experience with the series, something which I'd like to see improved from a personal perspective (as I assume its only me who sees it as I do) but it won't be done through a new city built around the model.

DBeO55c.jpg