Is Vince out of touch?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Is he out of touch? Is he out of time? Is he out of his head when Kevin Dunn's not around?

The general consensus these days seems to be he is, ever since the Punk interview a few months ago. Poor Vince has been getting a lot of stick. Letting Punk go, shoving Bryan back in IC title ranks and the stuff with Lesnars contract are quite a lot of blows for the old man. Then there's all the stuff about him falling asleep backstage and leaving WrestleMania to see to the Undertaker (fuckers have died and Vince hasnt left a PPV). At 69, you have to wonder if he's got much fight left in him. Or he might hit a home run with Reigns and we'll all be on the good ship Roman this time next year.

Is he an old cunt who deserves the bullet or is it all hype and the Big Mac Daddy is still the man?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think he's tired more than anything. He's out of touch like any 69 year old man would be but he's too old and tired to change and doesn't want to hand it over to anyone else. It's obvious from the creative output of the shows that he's basically happy with the absolute bare minimum and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. WWE is his sandbox and in his mind he invented the wrestling business so who's anyone to tell him he's wrong about anything. There's no fire left.

• Paid Members

I think the time has come for Vince to step aside and for Triple H to take the helm. As much as I like and respect Vince, he has no fresh ideas and is clearly past it. Triple H I believe will breathe new life into a stale product.

• Paid Members
Triple H I believe will breathe new life into a stale product.

The thing that keeps me optimistic for the future is that NXT is essentially Hunter's practice run at head booker/"final say goes" and for me - and this needs underscoring, FOR ME - the episodic TV product that is produced in NXT provides, more often than not, characters I understand, storyline developments that I can follow and make sense, big matches on specials that I feel excited to see due to logical build, and a roster where I feel nobody has been over exposed even though it is smaller than the main roster. For my personal tastes in wrestling, NXT genuinely excites me in that it makes me believe when Hunter gets given the big ball, he will run with it and give me a product on the big stage that I appreciate. It's not the Attitude Era revisited, nor is it reinventing the wheel or giving me something that's especially "different" than what several wrestling companies including the WWF/WWE have turned out when they've been able to hold my interest, but it IS simple and effective pro wrestling television.

My only concern is that in NXT they have the luxury that not ALL of the top stars have to appear on ALL of the shows (which goes towards the talent not being over-exposed), and that isn't the case for Raw, nor would it be in the future. Which was fine in the constantly-changing environments of 1997-2002, but ever since we really have entered the "everyone has beaten everyone else" era and nothing is fresh and new until they just dump a batch of new guys onto the show as they did with The Wyatts and The Shield, to great (albeit temporary) effect. So yeah, when all the talent is wrestling on TV every week, it's a struggle to keep anything fresh unless you're constantly able to bring in new talent and wrestlers are able to advance through the card, and you're willing to rotate who sits on top more frequently than they have within the last decade or so. That's my only worry about the future under Hunter.

• Paid Members

Do Samoans have hard heads? Does Missy Hyatt take it up the arse? Is Chris Jericho an irritating cunt?

It's one of those questions.

It's been obvious for about the last 12 years that Vince didn't have another idea. That's why the product has felt like a retread for such a long time. There are always good workers and some good gimmicks but overall, they've been going through the motions for a decade and it's only felt fresh 3 months a year and not every year.

I can't wait for him to fuck off. It's long overdue. Vince, Bischoff and Heyman all had success in pro-wrestling in the last 30 years because they were young, driven, gutsy and in touch with the world around them. Now we have a 70 year old man and Dixie Carter at the head of western wrestling.

Great post, air_raid. I share your hopes and fears. WWE have to find a way to combine the way they tell stories in NXT with the demands of hours and hours of first run TV on the main shows. That's a difficult thing to do.

• Paid Members

It's partly that he's old/out of touch/whatever, but partly because the way the business is set up now where it's not particularly dependent on any one big show, few if any people make a difference to house show attendance, and there's a boatload of TV cash coming in for years regardless of what the viewing figures are mean there's nothing to force his hand. Historically he'd try stuff he liked, but if it didn't work, he'd change it if that meant obviously making more money. Now it really doesn't make much difference to the annual profits who's on top or what the show format is, so he sticks to what he knows and likes.

• Paid Members

WWE is proper shit right now, but it's not like he's not had periods like this in the past that he overcame with a run of good creative ideas.

He is 69 though, so it's a miracle if he's not out of touch with what's hip.

Hearing Triple H go on about it and the dive Raw has taken over the last few months, you shouldn't underestimate the impact of that 3rd hour. I mind Heyman saying a few years ago that with Raw, Smackdown, ECW etc it is so much content to produce every week that it inevitably leads to stuff for the sake of stuff just so they can fill some time. Of course, it can lead to burn out and rubbish shows too.

All the excuses in the World still doesn't change the fact that they're on a terrible run with Raw. It's 'Mania season and I'm not all that excited, which sums it up.

He is never on telly anymore is he and when he is he's not the amazing Vince from the past he is an old man looking quite out of place.

He hasnt had a match since 2012 vs Punk has he? Thats got to be the longest he has gone without a match since 1998.

Archived