Ranking the WrestleManias - The Bottom 10

Liam O'Rourke

So, for the next three weeks, we're going to be doing a series of podcasts debating the rankings for all 30 WrestleManias in order, from worst to first in blocks of ten, and would like to get some feedback to read on the shows.

I've written an article on what I feel are the bottom 10 (if you're interested you can read it here: http://steelchair.co.uk/ranking-the-wrestlemanias-the-bottom-10), and want to hear what agreements or disagreements people have with it, what they would rank higher or lower, and why.

For those who don't want to read the whole article, the bottom 10 are:

#30 - WrestleMania 9 (1993)
#29 - WrestleMania 11 (1995)
#28 - WrestleMania 4 (1988)
#27 - WrestleMania 2 (1986)
#26 - WrestleMania 1 (1985)
#25 - WrestleMania 15 (1999)
#24 - WrestleMania 6 (1990)
#23 - WrestleMania 5 (1989)
#22 - WrestleMania 29 (2013)
#21 - WrestleMania 27 (2011)

We'll be debating the order on the shows and reading your responses and crediting you accordingly, so what do you think?

EDIT - For those looking at this thread for the first time, the podcast discussing this list and taking the feedback below is now online at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/aixp2f/SCGRadio31-RankingtheWrestleManias-TheBottom10.mp3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd probably switch your last three about there. 9 is ok, not great, but not completely terrible either. 11 has some good matches. 4 really drags on, but has some historical significance with the "Macho Man" getting the Gold. Um, it's a toughie. Probably would put 4 at the bottom. Can't think of any decent matches on that event.

Mania 27 is the absolute worst for me.

Esssentially, the main event is set up to make Rock vs Cena at Mania 28, Miz becomes a bit-part player, despite winning and retaining the title. This match pretty much condemned him to mid-card nothingness-4-life, Cena was even worse during the match, the whole thing just looked disjointed, clumsy and zero chemistry between them.

Chuck in the 2 minute Corre vs Smackdown Faces match, the dullness of Cody vs Rey, John Morrison throwing a strop about Trish and Snooki, Bryan vs Sheamus being relegated to the dark match so the Rock could have a 20 minute opening promo, and the oddness of Edge vs Del Rio where Del Rio seemed more upset about one of his many cars being trashed than losing a world title match at Wrestlemania.

The fact Michael Cole vs Jerry Lawler was one of the heavily promoted matches on the card pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with this one. What could have been a mildly amusing 10 minute comedy match turns into a 20 minute disaster that got stretched across another 2 PPVs.

Punk vs Orton was about the best thing on the card, Triple H vs Taker was pretty decent, the rest of it just sucked.

• Paid Members

#30 - WrestleMania 9 (1993)

Don't need to read any further!

WM9 is a fun show in a unique setting. It features several angles that set up future angles that the company desperately needed at the time. It's biggest crime as a WM is that it isn't a feud ending PPV and it doesn't have a really excellent match.

That said, it's more entertaining than 1 & 2, it's miles better than 4 & 11. It's better than everything below the main events in 5 & 6. It's more iconic and an easier watch than half the mid 2000's shows, albeit lacking in the match quality.

For me, Wrestlemania 11 has got to be considered the worst by some distance not just in terms of underwhelming spectacle and rubbish match quality, but also in the context of what preceded and followed it. It felt so utterly small time and shit; consider the previous years were

- the Massive Hoosier dome hosting Hart/Piper and Flair/Savage and a surprise finish

- the sheer spectacle of 9 and an even bigger surprise finish, albeit so-so matches throughout

- 10 in the Garden with two of the best matches of all time in Bret/Owen and HBK/Razor, and a big feelgood finish

Granted, the 2 years of Wrestlemanias following this weren't much better, but they did at least host the Iron Man Match and Bret/Austin respectively.

Wrestlemania 11 in what looks like about 5000 mute people, those crap disco lights, a desperate-feeling attempt to garner interest with celebrities, the show closing with a non-wrestler beating one of the company's top heels... it just encapsulated the awful mid-90s WWF taking what were almost its dying breaths. "Un. BEEE. Lievable" and "New Generation" bollocks everywhere. Watching Wrestlemania 11, as a kid, was definitely the moment I realised wrestling wasn't "in" any more, and definitely not as good as a few years prior. I don't think I picked up interest again properly until late 1997. Watching it as an adult you appreciate what a miracle it is Vince not only stayed in business, but turned things around so massively within 3 or 4 years.

Wrestlemanias 9 & 11 are the only ones I've yet to watch. Got all the Wrestlemanias right before the Network started (terrible timing) and I just hadn't got around to it. I tried to give Wrestlemania 9 a go, but after 10 minutes I had gotten over the cool arena and switched it off. Mid 90s WWF, ugh.

I thought 29 was really good. Rock vs. Cena was a huge main event, the NY/NJ stadium (Metlife?) was glorious, with all the little set pieces- especially the Statue of Liberty. Then we had Punk vs. Undertaker, which will probably have the lasting legacy of being Undertaker's last great match, and possibly his last Wrestlemania win. The crowd wasn't too hot for Lesnar vs. Triple H, but I really enjoyed it, had some cool spots with the Kimura and the steel stairs, and was far more entertaining than their sluggish Summerslam match.

Those main event matches are more than enough to put it in the top half of Wrestlemanias, personally. Add a decent undercard with the Shield's Wrestlemania debut, Henry vs. Ryback, Del Rio vs. Swagger and Fandango vs. Y2J- I'd definitely have Wrestlemania 29 pretty high on my list. Best is always subjective in wrestling, but as far as those undercard matches, I'd take those solid, if unspectacular matches over some of the higher ranked Wrestlemanias by a significant margin. Not to tangent too far from the Wrestlemania events in this list, but I was very disappointed in Wrestlemania 20. Most of the undercard matches were complete clusterfucks to get everyone on the card (two tag team fatal four ways, a 35 man Cruiserweight Open), and two of the heavily hyped main event matches- Kane vs. Taker and Lesnar vs. Goldberg were duds.

My main point, Wrestlemania 29 was awesome.

2000's main event is underrated, the triple threat was quality, the tag ladder match was amazing, Kat and Terri were both fit in their match which is all they were there for, plus that post show thing they made the whole thing seem like a massive deal, as Mania should be

2000's main event is underrated, the triple threat was quality, the tag ladder match was amazing, Kat and Terri were both fit in their match which is all they were there for, plus that post show thing they made the whole thing seem like a massive deal, as Mania should be

"Michael Cole , you little shithead"

7 is really awful!

USA propaganda, cashing in on an real life war, many awful matches, rotating commentators, a terrible main event.  Only saving grace is the obvious Warrior v Savage match, but it doesn't scream Wrestlemania at me.  More house show surrounded with the american flag plastered everywhere.

It's a horrid show

• Paid Members

Aye, 2000 wasn't a bad show - Martin Short turned up FFS. The main event being what it was definitely shaves off a couple of snowflakes, though. If they did a Rock v Triple H main event I'm sure it wouldn't get half the abuse it does. I suppose standards (particularly the main events) were so high in 2000 that anything below excellent was seen as rubbish.

Archived