The Trial Of Kevin Nash

Liam O'Rourke

So for this weeks Squared Circle Gazette, we do the third show in our "Court Case" format, debating whether Kevin Nash was guilty of gross malpractice for his failed runs as WWF Champion and WCW Booker. Talking drugs, bad title challengers, 1995 WWF, Starrcade 98, the Fingerpoke of Doom, Crazy Flair, Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan and Vanilla Midgets, this show was a lot of fun to do, so if you're interested in the debate and whether Nash is deemed guilty, you can listen to the show at this link:

http://http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/ixstzq/SCGRadio30-TheTrialOfKevinNash.mp3

But for the purposes of the board, I'm keen to gauge what people think of this. With all the factors that go in how utterly shit 95 WWF was, and with the horrible structure that was in place in WCW, how far do you think the blame goes for Big Kev in terms of being a bad champion and a bad booker?

• Paid Members

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was the "Kevin Nash Powerbomb Trial" which as a 16-year-old I thought was the funniest thing ever. Especially after Mean Gene gives evidence and Chris Jericho, representing the prosecution, says "Objection your honour! Gene was being gangraped at a frat house on the night in question!" Like I say.... 16.

As for the Diesel title reign.... he was fucked from the off, wasn't he? The first PPV they threw him in there with Bret, who he couldn't beat, so people were already questioning if he was actually on Bret's level. By the end of the same night they might have been asking the same of Shawn, then at Mania they put Diesel in with Shawn, and if it wasn't for Sid, he wouldn't have beaten Shawn either. With Shawn turned and Owen having cooled off since summer, they were extraordinarily light on top end heels, so in the eyes of the fans, looking at the top guys in the company, you had Shawn who he hadn't beaten convincingly, Bret who he hadn't beaten, Razor Ramon who he'd lost a program to, and Undertaker who he hadn't wrestled. So basically, he was fucked. He didn't beat anyone worth beating. He didn't even get to pin Sid first fucking time out, and when he finally did pin him, he'd had a big help from Shawn, which they acknowledged on TV to give Sid a reason to go after Shawn again, but didn't help Big D one jot. So in essence, it took Diesel until his 5th PPV title defence, against Mabel, before he was permitted to go over strong, and that still didn't help him because the match was shit. His next singes title defence was against the Bulldog, who he didn't beat, and then he dropped the title to the Hitman. So.... what fucking chance did the guy have when he was booked like that?

• Paid Members
His squashing of Wrath who was on an unbeaten streak and was gaining popularity and momentum week after week on his way to putting himself over Goldberg was pretty shitty.

No. If you think that match was a squash, you don't know what a squash is. That match was back and forth and Wrath came close to pinning him off the top rope clothesline. Whether you agree with the decision for Nash to beat him or not, the match was not a squash. I never had a problem with it. Wrath was on the rise, but he wasn't on Nash's level yet, who had just been positioned as half of the main event for the biggest show of the year. I don't see a problem. It wasn't like they could use "who will beat Wrath for the first time" as a major rub, we'd seen him pinned a fuckton of times by Glacier and others on TV.

Losing to Bam Bam at Souled Out on the other hand.....

I think it was more of Nash put himself in a position to a beat a guy who was gaining momentum (not loads, but a fair bit) and promptly put a squash to any other potential stars coming to take his spot.

Always hated Nash, apart from when I actually loved Diesel as a kid. The current wave of WWE nostalgia really irks me. I've seen the nwo about 5000 times now on WWE, I don't fucking care. It's not special and them kicking the shit out of other guys is getting tiresome. 

One of the first times I've listened to the SCG, really enjoyed it!

His squashing of Wrath who was on an unbeaten streak and was gaining popularity and momentum week after week on his way to putting himself over Goldberg was pretty shitty.

No. If you think that match was a squash, you don't know what a squash is. That match was back and forth and Wrath came close to pinning him off the top rope clothesline. Whether you agree with the decision for Nash to beat him or not, the match was not a squash. I never had a problem with it. Wrath was on the rise, but he wasn't on Nash's level yet, who had just been positioned as half of the main event for the biggest show of the year. I don't see a problem. It wasn't like they could use "who will beat Wrath for the first time" as a major rub, we'd seen him pinned a fuckton of times by Glacier and others on TV.

Losing to Bam Bam at Souled Out on the other hand.....

Perhaps it's time for a revisit to that match. I remember that the result at that time did leave a bad taste.

• Paid Members

Nash as a bad WWE champ?

Not having it as all  his fault, He was over as a badass, Sob who didnt take shit from anyone. He got the belt and they turned him into a pussy cat. More or less what they started doing to Roman but on a much larger scale. added he facts about his won loss record air raid posted about he was doomed from the start

Nash has always been cool to me, so i guess im bias https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-z_XWEYx8U watch the crowd? they are not shitting on it at all. 

One of the first times I've listened to the SCG, really enjoyed it!

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated! It's an interesting topic to me because they really did want Diesel to be the man, but made some pretty poor choices in trying to get him there. Didn't get to mention it on the show because it never came up, but Michaels getting a visionary pin on Diesel after the superkick at Mania always struck me as making him look so weak as a kid. Almost beaten clean by the guy a foot shorter and had only really been a midcard guy up to that point...

Archived