Brock Lesnar....where is he going after WM?

Jimmy Boy

Is he staying or leaving?! It's a great subject to think about, especially with the current network 1 million mark and that surely changes things in that now wwe would be willing to pay what he wants due to the increased network figures. surely he could make more money short term in the UFC, then come back in a couple of years when his fighting window is closed forever and make the same money he's on now or more? What does everyone else think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think he's going back to the UFC, I don't think he left on his "terms" so I think he wants to correct that and give it another shot.

He looked great at the Rumble, it's a shame he hasn't got one more year on his contract as there are still a couple of fresh programmes in him with Orton and Bryan, culminating in a Mania match with The Rock.

Maybe on his next run in a few years.

• Paid Members

I hope he'll go back to the UFC for only a year or two and then we'll get to see him again down the line. He really is an incredible attraction. It's been frustrating not seeing him at all at times but when he's turned up, it's nearly always been cool.

• Paid Members

I think he is an incredible attraction in WWE because of his limited dates. Dont get me wrong Brock is a beast and an immense talent but 5he limited dates mean Brock isnt watered down at all. Hes the fucking man.

I agree and I've defended the title run when others were slagging it but I think they could have done a better job of taping stuff to keep him in the picture at times. They could have used some of the stuff they've abandoned like the old "Via satellite" interview, having him call in or sending someone to his house to interview him. Hell, even produce some video packages and have Paul Heyman narrate with some fresh input.

I always thought things would come good around this time because of the long reign and the rare appearances but they should have done more between NOC and Xmas.

We’ve been talking about this in the MMA threads. Right now, both WWE and UFC believe than when Brock’s deal is up, he’s returning to the UFC. Whether that’s true or not is another matter, but that’s what they both believe. And Brock does have an interest in returning to the UFC. For one thing, Brock believes he can still win the heavyweight title, and while the odds are against it because of how good Cain Velasquez, the current heavyweight champion, is, Velasquez has suffered a lot of injuries since he fought Brock and there is a good chance that Velasquez has been worn down enough that Brock’s odds of beating him are more favourable than they otherwise might be. Brock’s title aspirations ultimately rest on how Cain does in his next title defence against Fabricio Werdum, and if Brock doesn’t think he can beat Werdum, and he almost certainly won’t, then that could sway Brock into staying with WWE.

The biggest driving force, however, is that Brock strongly wants to avenge his losses to both Velasquez and Alistair Overeem, and whilst his chances against Velasquez are shaky, he has a good shot at beating Overeem. He also wants to face Frank Mir, but that one’s personal because he hates Mir and that’s a fight he probably wins and is likely going to be his first fight back if he returns. Brock’s decision comes down to his desire for revenge and his hatred of Mir against how he perceives his chances against Velasquez or Werdum. Brock won’t let on if he doesn’t like his chances against Velasquez or Werdum, so UFC are very much in play, but if he really doesn’t think he can be the champion again, Brock’s staying with WWE.

What makes things interesting, and this is where Brock has the best timing in the world, is that Bellator have made it clear that they want Lesnar and they are willing to spend big to get him. UFC and Bellator are pretty much at war now and it’s a great day to be a free agent, which is what Brock will be when his WWE deal expires. But Brock’s timing is even better now that the WWE Network has a perceived upswing because it puts WWE in a mindset where they can now make a play to retain Brock, something they were unlikely to do before because their new business model makes PPV’s less lucrative and hinders their ability to pay the big money Brock will demand. There is also the perception factor. UFC just signed a big WWE name in CM Punk. WWE don’t want UFC signing Brock as well, or Bellator signing him for that matter, because it will give the perception, whether accurate or not, that WWE can’t keep their big names, and that doesn’t do well for the price of the stock much less how people perceive WWE as a business when two big names leave within the space of a few months.

Where Brock goes depends on who offers him the best deal and how strong his desire is for revenge and success in MMA. He can make huge money with the UFC, for less travel, which Brock hates, and he’ll have his chance for revenge and success. WWE could offer comparable money, probably a little less, and whilst he’ll have to travel more than he’d like, he won’t get beaten up as much. Bellator offering comparable money would be a huge statement because it would be, by far, the biggest money they’ve ever spent to get someone and would put the UFC and every name fighter on notice that they have a viable option when their deals come up. And Brock would enjoy greater success in Bellator because their heavyweights are almost all second or third tier and by pure strength and athleticism alone, Brock would steamroll over them. But it wouldn’t satisfy the athletic drive of Brock because he knows he’d be beating subpar talent and for all you can say about the guy, I don’t think Brock would be happy with that; he’d rather be able to beat the best, and if he wants that chance, he needs to be in the UFC.

If I was a betting man, the only thing I’d be betting on is that Brock plays his cards perfectly.

• Paid Members

Whether he planned on going back to the UFC or not, it certainly felt leading into the Rumble that those scripting the shows believed he was on his way out. Randomly standing in the background, never advertised beforehand, portrayed as almost an afterthought, it seemed inevitable that he'd lose the title at the Rumble to Rollins and then probably put someone over in the mid-card at Wrestlemania, most likely Daniel Bryan.

Since the Rumble though, where he was booked to be the biggest star in the company, and positioned in the top match at Wrestlemania, it now looks more likely that they think he's staying. Whether that's true or not I've got no idea, but there's no denying there's been a massive shift in how they're handling and portraying him.

Plus, maybe I just put more thought into this than they do, but given how Reigns was booed at the Rumble, the idea of putting him against Brock in Brock's last match seems incredibly risky. If the smart fans are already booing Roman, and it becomes common knowledge that Brock is fucking off, I can see their match at Mania getting the Goldberg vs. Brock, Wrestlemania 20 treatment. All the ingredients are there for it to be a complete disaster. Either they're confident he's locked in, or they're willing to take the risk.

Plus, maybe I just put more thought into this than they do, but given how Reigns was booed at the Rumble, the idea of putting him against Brock in Brock's last match seems incredibly risky. If the smart fans are already booing Roman, and it becomes common knowledge that Brock is fucking off, I can see their match at Mania getting the Goldberg vs. Brock, Wrestlemania 20 treatment. All the ingredients are there for it to be a complete disaster. Either they're confident he's locked in, or they're willing to take the risk.

Given how badly WWE misread what would happen at the Rumble, and whilst anyone with a brain knew what happened was very likely to happen going in, the fact fans even crapped on Rock showed just how far off the mark WWE were and are, I fully expect that WWE will blithely head into Wrestlemania with the belief that they can easily manipulate the fans into booing Reigns. I expect it to backfire in spectacular fashion and I expect the denial over Reigns simply not being ‘the guy’ to become even more entrenched and for WWE to push back even harder.

I think he is an incredible attraction in WWE because of his limited dates. Dont get me wrong Brock is a beast and an immense talent but 5he limited dates mean Brock isnt watered down at all. Hes the fucking man.

I agree and I've defended the title run when others were slagging it but I think they could have done a better job of taping stuff to keep him in the picture at times. They could have used some of the stuff they've abandoned like the old "Via satellite" interview, having him call in or sending someone to his house to interview him. Hell, even produce some video packages and have Paul Heyman narrate with some fresh input.I always thought things would come good around this time because of the long reign and the rare appearances but they should have done more between NOC and Xmas.

Spot on, that end of September until Jan is too long to have ur champ off telly.

I've really enjoyed how they've used Lesnar this time around. It has a classic boxing feel to it - the champ fights a few times a year and everything else is the guys underneath him jostling for position. I'd totally be up for Brock staying champ for a long time if that's how they were planning to do it, and they'd almost certainly be able to work that around a UFC schedule.

That said, Lesnar will still probably commit full-time to UFC rather than do both, simply because he doesn't seem the kind to half-arse something.

I've really enjoyed how they've used Lesnar this time around. It has a classic boxing feel to it - the champ fights a few times a year and everything else is the guys underneath him jostling for position. I'd totally be up for Brock staying champ for a long time if that's how they were planning to do it, and they'd almost certainly be able to work that around a UFC schedule.

That said, Lesnar will still probably commit full-time to UFC rather than do both, simply because he doesn't seem the kind to half-arse something.

Brock wouldn’t be able to work for both companies at the same time because of exclusivity; that’s why the proposed Lesnar/Undertaker match from a few years ago fell apart, because UFC wouldn’t let Brock do it. Not to mention WWE not wanting to put their champion in a situation they didn’t have complete control over.

Archived