Billy Jack Haynes suing WWE

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
“Billy Jack is suing WWE in federal court for “egregious mistreatment of its wrestlers for its own benefit, as well as its concealment and denial of medical research and evidence concerning traumatic brain injuries suffered by WWE wrestlers.”

Haynes is also asking the court to grant class-action status for what his lawyers say could be 500 people who suffered injuries while wrestling or performing in the WWE ring.

“Under the guise of providing ‘entertainment,’ WWE has, for decades, subjected its wrestlers to extreme physical brutality that it knew, or should have known, caused long-term irreversible bodily damage, including brain damage,” according to the lawsuit filed by Portland attorneys Steve D. Larson and Joshua L. Ross of the firm Stoll Stoll Bernie Lokting & Schlachter. “For most of its history, WWE has engaged in a campaign of misinformation and deception to prevent its wrestlers from understanding the true nature and consequences of the injuries they have sustained. WWE’s representations, actions, and inactions have caused its wrestlers to suffer from death, long-term debilitating injuries, lost profits, premature retirement, medical expenses, and other losses as alleged herein.”

They've even set a website up.

http://www.wweconcussionlawsuit.com/

WWE issued its own statement:

"Billy Jack Haynes performed for WWE from 1986-1988. His filed lawsuit alleges that WWE concealed medical information and evidence on concussions during that time, which is impossible since the condition now called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) had not even been discovered. WWE was well ahead of sports organizations in implementing concussion management procedures and policies as a precautionary measure as the science and research on this issue emerged. Current WWE procedures include ImPACT testing for brain function, annual educational seminars and the strict prohibition of deliberate and direct shots to the head. Additionally, WWE has committed significant funding for concussion research conducted by the Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), leaders in concussion research, and WWE Executive Vice President Paul Levesque sits on SLI's Board."

Here's a copy of the lawsuit.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244413828/William-Albert-Haynes-III-v-World-Wrestling-Entertainment

• Paid Members

If Haynes does end up in the stand, I wonder how many times he'll bellow "VINCE 'KILLER' MCMAHON".

His shoot interview is still one of the most mental things I've ever seen in wrestling. Claiming Vince McMahon was the father of Daniel Benoit and that's what made Chris go on a killing spree. Plus occasionally telling us he's dying and randomly screaming "BOMBSHELL TONIGHT!" every now and then, seemingly for no reason at all other than to make me jump/piss myself.

• Paid Members

Other than Warrior and Ventura, has anyone actually ever had a successful lawsuit against WWE?

Lawler did I believe. Made a claim that putting "king of wrestling" on a poster in Memphis was enough to get business off the insinuation he would be there when he wasn't involved with them.

Other than Warrior and Ventura, has anyone actually ever had a successful lawsuit against WWE?

Didn't Lesnar have a lawsuit against WWE in regards to them trying to prevent him from earning a living (wrestling for NJPW) after he left WWE?

I'm sure somebody remembers the details better than I, but I sure it was a case of WWE trying to stop Lesnar going to UFC, claiming that he had a no compete agreement, and that his value was so vast, it would be unfair for Lesnar to break it and go to UFC. Lesnar then went to negotiate to return to WWE and because WWE low balled him on a new deal, he used that as evidence that WWE didn't really consider him that valuable, and thus wouldn't really damage WWE to go to UFC.

Something like that. But yeah, WWE tried to hold him to a no compete and Lesnar go it thrown out on the basis a man's gotta work.  

I seem to remember reading in the mags at the time that his no compete was for 5 years, which sounds completely mental. Obviously this was when he was having a crack at making the NFL and I don't think him doing MMA had even crossed his mind at the time , and UFC in 2004 hadn't really taken off to the levels it did a few years later. It was on its way but hadn't had it's boom period

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Lesnar thing was thrown out because the court ruled that even though no-competes are OK in theory, his was too long (10 years) and too broad (worldwide, including MMA). The court said even though he'd voluntarily signed it in return for getting an early release from his contract, it was too restrictive to be enforceable.

The decision was also partly because WWE completely undermined their case when, midway through the legal battle, Lesnar said "Fuck it, I'll just come back and wrestle the rest of my original contract period then" and WWE said "OK, but you're not getting your million dollar a year guarantee anymore."

There was a concussion/pain killer related class action lawsuit against the NFL that was succesful that has generated copy cat lawsuits, I think there are two against the NHL now. This isnt a surprising development but Haynes may be a bad front man for it. I wonder how many and who they cant get on board for this. There was a good amount of evidence against the NFL, wonder what they have against wwe?

Archived