Rev Pro - Uprising Event Next Week - Huge News! Ricochet out - AA

Mark Sloan

Thankfully, the main event was the right match to go on last.

I actually disagree.  The crowd seemed pretty bored and restless for at least the first ten minutes, and I saw several people leave.  I actually assumed Sydal hadn't turned up or something, as I simply couldn't imagine that it would close the show (let alone that the final match wouldn't even be starting until around 10.40pm).  Don't get me wrong, it was the match I personally was most looking forward to, and indeed was bloody excellent and the best match on the show by far, but it was never billed or built as a main event type match before the event.

I've always found the match order on these shows to be almost completely random though.  Okada, ostensibly the main star and draw of the show, going on before intermission was almost as bizarre.  Joel Redman was exactly as disappointing here as the announcement that he was to be the Okada's opponent was in the first place, but it was obviously very cool to see the Rainmaker in action, which I suppose was the point.

The tag opener was a lot of fun, Aries being a slightly more suitable replacement for Ricochet than I imagined.  Dave Mastiff, much like blue cheese, is a guy I appreciate more every time I see him.  As someone who was actually a pretty big Too Cool fan around 2000 I definitely got a kick out of seeing them in action, and in fact they are still a thoroughly decent tag team!  The title match was what it was - I actually quite like Scurll's current heel persona, and find Martin Stone pretty dull, so was happy enough with the outcome, but it was all a bit overbooked, and The Revolutionists in general were on this show far too much (I love Sha, but like the poster above just cannot deal with Terry Frazier and his skinny torso and his lack of ring gear).  Happy to see the Knights challenging for the tag titles, but I only go to the London shows so where that feud will be by then who knows...

So overall another solid York Hall Rev Pro event.  I dunno how a six match card lasts almost four hours though?!  My arse was pretty numb from sitting on those horrible wooden balcony seats for that length of time!

Any reports from the Clapham show?  I wonder if they're planning on doing that venue on the Saturday night in February..?

• Paid Members

I was tweeting results last night, but my experience has taught me not go for £30 seats next time, as we were too late in the queue to get front row, and third row was a considerably worse view than any of the standing vantage points on the floor.

Okada vs Aries was very good, mind, and a couple of imports actually put people over. Plus Will Ospreay won the Cruiserweight title, that guy is money.

• Paid Members
I actually disagree.  The crowd seemed pretty bored and restless for at least the first ten minutes, and I saw several people leave.

People were tired. People were leaving because they had trains to catch, because the show had overran. I stand by what I said ; a less energetic and less state of the art match would not have achieved what Ospreay/Sydal did in terms of getting energy back into the live crowd, which seemed very raucous again by the home straight.

Or maybe it was just my heart that was racing at the end, and the noise was all in my head. Either way, don't care. The game is about opinions.

Any results from Clapham?

(1) Will Ospreay beat Josh Bodom and Rich Swann to win the British Cruiserweight title.

(2) Sha Samuels beat Joel Redman.

(3) Martin Stone beat Karl Anderson.

(4) Shelton Benjamin beat Marty Scurll by DQ, Marty retains British Heavyweight title.

(5) 2 Unlimited beat The Hunter Brothers.

(6) Kazuchika Okada pinned Austin Aries.

Wish I'd fucking been able to go.

I disagree with the Frazier comments on him being too skinny. He has no fat on him and has quite defined muscles. He hasn't got the body of a normal skinny guy who doesn't work out, his attire is unique as well, very basic but he stands out. His mannerisms are great too, I genuinely think he is a bit unhinged and sometimes wince when he gets in the face of the fans. 

The main event was perfect, crowd were tired at first from the long angle and overbooked match that preceded it but people soon got hooked. I was surprised at the amount of imports who won until I realised that there are very few homegrown talents who have been on every York Hall show. I can only think of Marty, Osprey and Sha Samuels. That's a good thing, nice to keep it fresh.

Also the seats were fantastically organised, every pre booked seat had the bookers name on it which is fantastic. No chance of some one accidentally sitting in the wrong seat. Just need to sort out the timing though, what causes everything to overrun? What actually happens backstage at a wrestling show in intermission? Why does every show overrun, is it tactics to make people drink more at the bar (fair enough if yes) or are the wrestlers actually not ready to go out (I can't see that being the case). Same thing for the start time. Is the ring not ready yet? This isn't just RPW, seems to be every show.

Why was Rosita there? Was she at the meet and greet or was it just to sign autographs at half time? Also was it even mentioned that she was there?

She was advertised a week before the event on twitter/facebook. It was just for meet and greet. But in reality it's because she's dating Austin Aries and may as well take a tour in England with him. I'm still laughing at her charging the same prices for pictures n signatures with her as Austin Aries.

Just need to sort out the timing though, what causes everything to overrun? What actually happens backstage at a wrestling show in intermission? Why does every show overrun, is it tactics to make people drink more at the bar (fair enough if yes) or are the wrestlers actually not ready to go out (I can't see that being the case). Same thing for the start time. Is the ring not ready yet? This isn't just RPW, seems to be every show.

Why was Rosita there? Was she at the meet and greet or was it just to sign autographs at half time? Also was it even mentioned that she was there?

The one you thought most unlikely was the case at intermission.

Not sure if/why it started late on Saturday.

Sunday, the venue were a nightmare. Andy wouldn't say anything but I sure would. Was time to open the doors, everything was ready and the venue decide to ask where the wristbands for the stage seats are.To which nobody has a clue what they are talking about as it is the first time it's been mentioned. They are arguing that you cannot tell who has a stage seat to which Andy replies they have tickets that say seating. Then the venue argue how can they tell a wrestler from a crowd member and where are the "trainers and team members" if they are in the cue outside. Andy explains everybody is backstage already and we need to open the doors. This goes round and round while everybody is waiting, In the end it is decided everybody has to get a stamp and ID checked at the door, which gets nixed and in the end everybody gets stamped for no reason?

Then there was an incident with them not letting somebody into the venue because they were 14, even tho the venue had declared it had to be a 14+ event. They had it written into a contract with Andy that anyone from 14 - 18 can come into the venue as long as accompanied by an Adult. Apparently the boss decided he didn't like that - idea on the day! even tho he had it written into the contract and signed it. With the person liasing with Andy keep telling him to be more organized, which was a joke. You can be prepared for nonsensical stuff like this handed to you at door opening/show start time.

I can tell you from first hand experience, no matter how organized you are, the venues ALWAYS can throw up unexpected things, that cause delays and that is why sometimes, even with a successful show, the company does not go back to the venue. 

There is lots of behind the scenes stuff that can throw a spanner in the works without prior warning, luckily for a company like Rev Pro, the in-ring normally takes care of it, so the unseen out of ring stuff rarely comes a problem for any one but the promoter.

I thought the Saturday show was really good and pretty much every match was enjoyable.

The time schedule Saturday didn't affect me as I was enjoying the bar but normally I would of been really annoyed with the late start and intermission. 

I actually thought the Okada match was the weakest match on the show, Not entirely impressed with Redman and would of liked to of seen Okada up against something else.

The 2 cool match was great fun, the opener was crazy as you would expect, Mastiff/Anderson was really strong. The overbooking of Stone/Scrull I actually thought made the match alot better. Sydal/Osperay was great as expected. Will is the man at the moment and Sydal looked really strong.

Already looking forward to Februarys show, although I hope AJ is booked against someone strong rather than a Scrull/Redman etc.

So credit to Rev Pro, this show is already up on VOD - but the commentary is fucked. They said to me on Twitter they are aware but just wanted to push it out, I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

Anyway, how does a show with six matches go four hours? Ten minute entrances for fifteen minute opening matches might be part of the problem. 

Archived