Snitches get stitches

Ron&Hermione

I’ve never really been in a scenario to do the dirty and snitch on anyone, but i was wondering. has anyone, or would anyone snitch on someone? I guess there would be two categories, one with strangers, and one with friends/loved ones.

If you were to see a crime in the street, lets say if someone was physically attacked, would you come forward and do the police i.d thing and co-operate, or just ignore the situation?
(I know that in itself seems like a ridiculous question, as i can’t imagine not ever coming forward and helping in a situation like that, but wondered if telling on strangers is still a not go area?)

Then i guess the better question would be, would you ever grass on a friend/loved one if they did something illegal and you were staunchly against it?
This is a question I’ve actually struggled with answering (whenever i sadly pose it to myself), as i genuinely think i would help the friend but never actively tell on them.

I know its a question of degrees with stuff like this and the severity of what the person did, so feel free to say whether you have or what situations you would do it.
If the crime committed (or anything you see as wrong doing) doesn’t directly effect you, should you still be telling on that person? Or is it a case of its their life and as long as it doesn’t affect mine, then why should i care?

Also, what’s everyone thoughts on snitching in general? Is it seen as one of the worst things to do, or given the time we live in now that it should actually be seen as a good thing?

I find the whole mentality behind those who flat out refuse to tell, and the other end where people will tell on anything quite fascinating in a way. (I sort of bring this up because i saw a Woman tell a member of staff at tesco how another woman’s child took a pic n mix out of the tray, which ended with the mother being told off by the member of staff.)

So, any examples of whether you have tattled on someone or where you actively haven’t and why would be good. Plus the overall thoughts on whistleblowing in general.

Where I work it is a no-no to snitch on a fellow work mate (or bubbling as its known). Guy who I was working with was doing stuff he shouldnt be. The thing is, if something flagged up/someone complained I was in a position where I could be blamed. I had a private conversation with someone who'd been with the company for 30 odd years and his reply was pretty much 'fuck him, its your job on the line etc' so it made I my decision easier. Work was pretty sound as they kept 'reports of misbehaviour' anonymous.

He eventually got the bullet and I was riddled with guilt until I found out that 3 others had put in a similar complaint.

It's a strange one. Somebody my mum used to know had car tyres more bald than I can begin to explain - I'm talking worse than Scalextric tyres. They were starting to split. The woman had three kids in the car but I didn't report her.

I feel like a massive twat thinking about it now. How would I have felt if they'd crashed on the way home just so I could stick to omerta? 

I understand why people struggle with the idea of "telling on someone" but I don't agree with it. The idea was clearly invented by wrongdoers in the first place to cover their own arses in the event of being found out and as such I can't support it. We've recently seen a trend of people accused of doing something in the 70's or 80's. If that rule did not exist, those people could well have been brought to justice a lot sooner instead of the victims having to wait a lifetime for a trial because one day someone thought..."You know what? Maybe it's time we do something about so and so"...

• Moderators

I understand why people struggle with the idea of "telling on someone" but I don't agree with it. The idea was clearly invented by wrongdoers in the first place

Or by communities that were systematically and institutionally discriminated against by their own country and had to form their own rules and communities to get by.

We've recently seen a trend of people accused of doing something in the 70's or 80's. If that rule did not exist, those people could well have been brought to justice a lot sooner instead of the victims having to wait a lifetime for a trial because one day someone thought..."You know what? Maybe it's time we do something about so and so"...

Which is why there was the question about levels of wrongdoing before it is acceptable, or approaching them about the situation first on a one to one basis before taking that as a last resort.

Clearly there has to be. The completely black and white viewpoint you've expressed just wouldn't stand up to any stress testing at all for any rational person. I can guarantee you I could throw some scenarios out there where a friend of family member of yours was doing something wrong and you would agree that it wouldn't be the right thing to do to report them to authorities.

If I couldn't find such a scenario with you that would make you an arsehole.

Unless its something serious (kiddie fiddling,drink driving etc),or it directly fucks with my life then I wouldn't be bothered reporting anything,far too much hassle.Some of the spiteful shite people used to report when I was a reserve copper was ridiculous.People's car tax out a day or two,or suspecting their neighbour of having a dodgy electric meter.Don't see why anyone would be bothered by stuff like that,poxy curtain twitchers.

Archived