Good deeds, and little things that make the day better

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

A bit of Off Topic positivity, why not. The little bits and pieces that happen to you during the day that make you feel good. Good deeds, people you see being helpful, general nice things. Like the 'good deed feed' in the Metro, except not exclusively about people's Oyster cards.

We had a post on our work's Facebook page this morning from a mum who had visited with her little daughter at the weekend. The little girl had lost her teddy, which she'd had since birth, during the visit, and the mum had posted a photo of the teddy with her message. We had a look through lost property this morning, found the teddy, and have been able to send it back to them so the little girl and her teddy have been reunited.

Doesn't seem like much but hopefully it'll mean something to the family!

Anyway, anyone else got anything?

• Paid Members

I nearly started a thread last week about nice things you've done for strangers or that strangers have done for you, but didn't because I worried it sounded too much like blowing my own trumpet, but what the hell, here goes.

Last Wednesday night I did a random good deed, motivated only by the desire to help out a fellow human being. I had been to a funeral down home in the day and was catching an evening train back up to Piccadilly. I overheard on the train a young lass receive a call from her mother and explain that she'd had her wallet (with cash and railcard) stolen and no money in her account or credit on her phone, leaving her no way of getting from Piccadilly to the airport for her flight or of calling her mother back once she got to Manchester. She then called a friend to see if she could transfer money into her account ; no luck. When we got to Piccadilly, I paid for this unfortunate girl's ticket to the airport, and gave her change for the call box so she could let her distraught mother know that she was going to be able to make it in time for the flight.

Kind of pales in comparison though to a good deed that was done in my favour. On the day of the Italy/Germany semi in 2006 I was driving back down from one of my earliest weekends up in Manchester, and realized I'd missed my exit off the M6. I eventually came off in Lichfield but simultaneously I realized my clutch was fucked AND I was out of petrol - and my cannister was empty. I abandoned my car and started trudging up the A road towards town centre in the hope of passing a petrol station. I wasn't trying to hitch a lift, but a random bloke saw me walking with my cannister and pulled over anyway. Not only did he drive me up the road to a petrol station so I could fill up my cannister, he drove me back down to my car - which was out of his way to do so - so I could quickly pop the petrol in my car, enough to make it to a nearby station to fill up properly. I was gobsmacked.

So yeah... strangers, they're alright, sometimes.

• Paid Members

The day I was going to emigrate to the USA, my parents dropped me and the cat off at Heathrow — we were getting an American Airlines flight, with him in the hold. However, we were told that it was far too hot for a pet to alight at JFK that day and for the next few days, and that I'd either have to find another option to fly, or leave Manny behind and sort it out later. I was bereft — like a tosser, I'd handed my mobile phone to my parents to sell on, and didn't even have a place to live, as the new tenants had taken residence in my apartment.

Didn't really know what to do, but I was able to get online and access my contacts database, and sought out my mate, and occasional UKFFer, The Mighty LC, who was thankfully off work that day. He told me no worries, and I should bring the poor confused cat (who'd been retrieved from the baggage department) over.

We got a cab there, and he made sure that Manny had somewhere to sit outside of his travel case, and then we went into town and picked up some litter and cat food. Then, he decided that we hadn't had a proper sendoff for various reasons, and sorted out a slapup meal at Soho Bodeans and a night out for us and other FFer, Jakefish Cat. 

Then, he put up with my obviously delirious "take a bus to Heathrow" with a cat and luggage whim, and we ended up wheeling all of it for seemingly ever to the Virgin Airlines pet transport centre (I was getting a BA flight to JFK, Manny was on Virgin to Newark - fun!), and then got me to the airport, bought me Starbucks, and hung out till I had to fly.

I'm not an overly demonstrative person, except when it comes to being annoying, so I've never been able to tell LC how much he saved us that day, as I was in a right state internally, and would probably have ended up playing the comb and paper in Terminal 4 to raise money for a tin of tuna for the cat. Thanks, mate

• Paid Members

I eventually came off in Lichfield

I've done that more than once.

I was queuing in McDonald's (other fast food restaurants are available) and some one walked in looking a little lost. They asked me in broken English where the toilet was, so I gave them a rough location as best I could. They walked over, saw the toilet door and proceeded to smile like no one else I have ever seen in Birmingham, putting up both thumbs and thanking me as if I had just done something really great.

The bloke in front of me in the queue even commented that some people are easily please, but it really did put a smile on my face to do something nice and not be called a cunt for it.

• Paid Members

It's a magical place, isn't it? It was my first home. I was an absolute playah there, until I moved out aged a few months old.

They walked over, saw the toilet door and proceeded to smile like no one else I have ever seen in Birmingham

Now now, as a Brummie I feel that's unfair. There are hundreds of smiles to be seen every day in Birmingham. It has three train stations and an airport, packed with people positively BEAMING that they get to leave.

• Paid Members

It's a magical place, isn't it? It was my first home. I was an absolute playah there, until I moved out aged a few months old.

They walked over, saw the toilet door and proceeded to smile like no one else I have ever seen in Birmingham

Now now, as a Brummie I feel that's unfair. There are hundreds of smiles to be seen every day in Birmingham. It has three train stations and an airport, packed with people positively BEAMING that they get to leave.

If you imagine brummies upside down, they're ALL smiling.

• Paid Members

I used to work over there. It's a nice place but it's too small with too little of note for my tastes to warrant a trip despite being all of a 15 minute drive.

In truth I wanted to make an slight innuendo about ejaculation.

i think it scares them a bit when a scruffy youngster says hello to them.... either that or i just pick ignorant old folks to be pleasant to :s
One thing i've noticed is that I tend to be much more polite to random folks on a morning.... if i ever happen to be walking to the shop on a weekend before say 9am i'll say morning to everyone i walk past, whereas after that i usually avoid eye-contact and just get on with my day... odd

I was working in a pretty remote location today and was facing a 2+ hour journey home using public transport. A guy who I was working with, and only met today, gave me a lift home and refused to take any petrol money from me, despite driving an hour out of his way for someone he didn't know. Such a nice guy. I feel like I need to do something nice for someone to balance it out, but I'm a cunt so I probably won't.

Archived