Most/fewest matches you've seen on a show

JNLister

• Paid Members

There's plenty of argument about the optimum number of matches to have on a show, but sometimes things go to extremes. Let's hear your Goldilocks tales.

Fewest I've seen is technically 0 which has happened three times. One show which apparently was never booked (WAW in Warrington, which in hindsight seemed an unlikely venue for a Norwich group), one Premier show where I went to the wrong venue (right town though!) and the GWF show with no ring.

Fewest actually on a show that happened was El Hijo Del Santo vs Blue Panther at Colchester University which was a show you had to pay to get into, but was funded by the Arts Council and put on as a sort of exhibition.

Fewest on a "proper" show was Premier Promotions which technically had three, though it was a single, a tag, and then a six-man gauntlet series, so could also be described as a seven match show. Fewest without any caveats is four, which covers quite a few British shows from the likes of All Star.

The most I can confirm is two RAW tapings in the US in 1997 which each had 13 matches, including a dark match, a Superstars/Shotgun taping, a dark "buffer" match, the live RAW and then a dark main event.

I did see a show from the Long Island Wrestling Federation (aka a warehouse in Cypress Hill lit by a lamp hooked up to the ring truck battery) that went on forever, but I've no record of how many matches it had.

Depending on how you split hairs, the most at one event was when GPW put on wrestling at the Macclesfield County Show where they did three sessions with a total of 17 matches, each session ending when the wrestlers got bored or it started raining. You can read about that on a participant's blog: http://83nn0.tumblr.com/post/48157000184/10-macclemania

• Paid Members

25 matches in one day is hell.

You’ve obviously never been to a local MMA show. Longest I went to started at 6pm and ended after midnight. There’s just no need for that. Absolutely exhausting and don’t know why the promoter thought it was a good idea.

If you're including the camps, I remember this one being tremendous about three years ago.

James Mason vs Kade Callous 

Mikey Whiplash vs Mean Tommy Dean

Mason and Little Legs vs Karl Krammer

Sometimes less really can be more.

I've seen a two match show on the camps which was a decent show.  Other than this I've helped promote and organise three events with 4 matches that PBW have run.  I actaully think the 4 match format works great for younger audiences, sometimes on the 6/7 match shows kids attention starts to drift and it can be hard to win them back after the interval.

Most would probably be one of the TNA tv tapings.

• Paid Members

Yeah, 16 which is the most on PPV I think. Slamboree 96 had 15 including a lethal lottery with two qualifying rounds.

Least on PPV would be No Holds Barred: The Movie/The Match, and the CWA in Dallas doing Bodyguards & Bandits which was one match, albeit a 60 minute team affair with US football scoring.

That CWA one sounds like an intriguing watch, has it ever shown up anywhere?

Bugger the island death match. I've been tempted to just leave it on in the background before and just sip in and out of it for the aesthetic quality but meh.

Archived