Official Commonwealth Games XX Thread

Daaaaaad!

Surprised there hasn't been one of these so far! I looked back and everything.

So the Commonwealth Games has been opened at Celtic Park tonight. What did everyone think of the opening ceremony?

Speaking as a Scot, I found myself a bit embarrassed. I mean, Rod Stewart? John Barrowman? Really? That's before I even get to those awful outfits. I was up for the somewhat tongue-in-cheek stuff with Nessie and the giant Tunnock's tea cakes, but there's a thin line between irony and stupidity.

As for the games itself, how are you feeling about it? Obviously nobody takes them as seriously as the Olympics or anything, but I think they work as a sort of European Championships to the Olympics' World Cup - a lesser tournament that still manages to entertain in an off-year. Or is it all bollocks and should they go the whole hog and call it the Friendly Games?

Personally I'm intrigued to see the Rugby Sevens as it's being held at Ibrox. Strange to see football posts up last night across at Murrayfield whilst rugby posts stand in Govan! Glad a few names such as Usain Bolt and Mo Farah are going to be involved too, especially as so many won't be there.

Oh, and watching Chris Hoy and Prince Imran struggle with the lid of the 'baton' was hilarious. I'm sure the Queen wanted to walk over and go "give it here you pansies".

• Paid Members

See the bit during the Opening Ceremony were the Queen arrived in the stadium and was met by planes (Red Arrows?) flying in the sky to greet her. They came over my house and nearly took my windows out. Scary stuff. Thought I was a goner.

ADDED: I thought the bit at the start with John Barrowman and Karen Dunbar was absolutely excruciating. Glasgow is a fucking nasty city. Don't let anybody tell you it isn't.

I fear for Billy Connolly too. Don't think he'll last the year unfortunately.

ADDED AGAIN: Does anybody have a list of songs that was played at the Ceremony? Just that there was a cracker of a synth theme played at the start. Cheers!

• Paid Members

The start was a total embarassment. Barrowman and Dunbar were really the best they could dig up for that? Featuring a fucking statue with a traffic cone on its head just highlights how small time Scotland really is.

Rod Stewarts voice letting him down and then Subo forgetting the words to Mull Of Kintyre summed it up too.

See the bit during the Opening Ceremony were the Queen arrived in the stadium and was met by planes (Red Arrows?) flying in the sky to greet her. They came over my house and nearly took my windows out. Scary stuff. Thought I was a goner.

They passed over me no more than about 3 minutes before they actually done the flypast. I was fascinated as I'm a good 20 miles eastwards as the crow flies, and they were still heading in the opposite direction, just starting their bank / turn.

A bit sily maybe, as jet planes are obviously rapid and covering that distance in that time, even in formation,  is nothing out of the ordinary at all, but it brought it home and was still kinda cool to see

I thought the event itself was way better than i expected it to be. I was squirming at the pantomine stuff in the first half hour or so (although I did nearly have a full house at Jocko Bingo!), but after that it all felt well done - pretty slick and a decent spectacle.

Had to laugh at that Council fellow who didn't quite understand the concept of what a microphone is as he roared in his best condescendingly slow voice for talking to foreigners and stupid people.To be fair, he did look like he was absolutely crapping himself.

I'm not really interested in the games at all, mind. Can't see me watching anything during it.

• Paid Members

Well done posting the tommy pic Baz. One question, I understand the Olympic torch tradition and it's relevance, but why is there a Commonwealth games batton?

Mo Farrah is out of the games. I bet that made Tommy cry a little.

Archived