WWE Battleground 2014 Discussion - Spoilers

Doog

Thought i'd see if we can drum up a bit of discussion about the PPV tonight, a lot of rumours flying about and the card looks pretty good for this.

That card is :-

WWE Championship

John Cena © vs. Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns vs. Kane

Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins

WWE Tag Team Championships - 2 out of 3 falls

The Uso's © vs. Luke Harper and Erik Rowan

Jack Swagger vs. Rusev

Intercontinental Championship Battle Royal

Participants include Cesaro, Kofi Kingston, The Great Khali, RVD, Dolph  Ziggler, Big E, Ryback, Curtis Axel, Alberto Del Rio, Bo Dallas, Sheamus, Fandango, Sin Cara, Zack Ryder, Miz, Diego, R-Truth, Xavier Woods, Heath Slater, Titus O’Neil

Divas Championship

AJ Lee vs Paige

Pre Show Match

Cameron vs. Naomi

Pretty hard to call the majority of matches I reckon, a lot could go either way, Only one I was sure on was that Cena would retain, however a few sites speculating today that the Cena/Lesnar match at SummerSlam may not be for the title and there could be a title change tonight. If that is the case then I could possibly see Orton winning the title and defending against Reigns at SummerSlam, or the other way round. I'd prefer Cena/Lesnar to be for the belt though, it'll be the main event anyway, so if SummerSlam is Reigns first defence of the WWE Title, to have the match overshadowed by the aforementioned Cena/Lesnar match wouldn't be the best of starts.

Be interesting to see if Rusev is there tonight, with what happened in Ukraine and Putins alleged involvement It'll be interesting to see whether they pull the plug completely or take the character in a new direction, I think Swagger will beat him and that'll be the last we see of that character.

Plenty of matches that could steal the show tonight, Rollins/Ambrose will hopefully be a cracker, Wyatt/Jericho has the potential to be also.

So yeah, there we have it, this is on Sky Box Office unfortunately, but I reckon this one will be good. What do you reckon?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Cena thing is because of his new movie and filming schedules isn't it?

His match with Brock could work without the title present, Brock's only loss without getting a win back has been against Cena, even when HHH beat him he got that back and has been even more unstoppable since. Could work in the scheme of things that HHH could send Heyman and Brock to keep Cena out of the title hunt if Randy is holding the gold.

As for the Rusev note, I'm pretty sure I've read that he did a live show where Lana cut her usual pro-Putin speech and continued as normal otherwise. I don't think they'll cut the character/gimmick at all. It's not like the Hassan thing where there's no way back, they still have a monster that is being pushed with an Anti-American manager behind him.

• Paid Members

There's no need to abandon the Rusev character. Just go back to calling him the Bulgarian Brute and have Lana cut anti-American promos rather than pro-Russian.

Or have Lana blame the Ukraine and feel the heat.

Reigns winning tonight would make no sense if it's Cena vs Brock next month. Heyman's proposition to The Authority last week was setting up Lesnar taking the belt off their enemies if their boys fail. If Reigns wins tonight, he should be the one facing Lesnar at SummerSlam. Although Reigns being put in the match tonight in the first place doesn't make any sense, either.

It's an interesting one. I dont think the time is right for Reigns to win the title just yet. His momentum has stalled a little in recent weeks, as in I dont think the audience see it at the right time, he's not at the stage Ryback and Bryan were at where fans were begging for them to get the title, and should he win it tonight he'll just get overshadowed over the next couple of months by Brock Lesnar (im going by the proviso that Reigns will not be the one to face Lesnar) and that's not going to help the start of his reign if hes playing second fiddle straight away.

Cena retaining and going onto defend against Lesnar is the most logical situation right now, Reigns time will hopefully come in the future.

In regards to Rusev, the Putin thing will definately be canned, it's been the main part of his act and if he just goes back to Bulgarian Brute again it'll feel a bit of a letdown, he didnt start getting properly over until they did the whole Russia thing so it may be WWE just drops the act altogether. As has been said it'd be great if they went the nuclear heat option and he stuck with it and proper hammed it up, but that just cant happen.

Be interesting to see if Rusev is there tonight, with what happened in Ukraine and Putins alleged involvement It'll be interesting to see whether they pull the plug completely or take the character in a new direction, I think Swagger will beat him and that'll be the last we see of that character.

God I hope not, he's one of the best new characters to come along, abruptly dropping the character would kill his career.  You can't repackage him, he's too recognisable.

Got a horrible feeling that Rusev could lose and Lana goes mental with Rusev turning face. Lana gets dropped and WWE save face. It would get them out of the situation, but I would be gutted.

• Moderators

They've been beating Cesaro like a dog recently so from the way WWE like to treat someone before I reign I can't see past him forvIC champion.

They always beat someone around the horn before that person gets a run with a title.

Got a horrible feeling that Rusev could lose and Lana goes mental with Rusev turning face. Lana gets dropped and WWE save face. It would get them out of the situation, but I would be gutted.

No Americans will accept Rusev as a face by dumping Lana so soon after all the anti-American stuff. How would be even do it? He can't cut a promo on her, he can't batter her and he can't burn the Russian flag. The best thing for them to do is have Swagger go over, then Rusez to quietly drop Lana as a manager and spend the next few months squashing lower card guys. Just reset him and wait a while for everyone to forget about it before giving him anything meaningful to do. Rusev is lucky he's not actually from Russia and someone else has been doing the talking for him.

Archived