Total Divas discussion thread.

Forrest

On similar lines, amusing note from F4Weekly about the reaction of the locker room to seeing the show:

We're also told that even though it's a reality show and everything (and on Sunday's show I am talking damn near EVERYTHING) is fake, the word we got from Raw Monday is that Eva Marie is PASSIONATELY hated. Which means she'll probably be pushed hard on the main roster very soon.

Everything about her is so dislikable. The word that her in ring work is awful hopefully means she'll get canned soon after the season finishes.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is officially now my favourite form of WWE programming now. Ive sat through both episodes without skipping a second, compare that to RAW where I fast forward pretty much anything and just stop when I see either Bryan, Punk, Heyman, Lesnar, The Shield or the Wyatts. As said its completely scripted and OTT but all of these reality shows are so it fits in well with the other shows they have. Its a nice change to actually give a little bit of a shit about these characters.

Yeah, I thought that. They've got The Invisible Boy completely it seems and he doesn't even seem to realise it. That supports my idea the other day.

Oddly enough, I was going to say "that makes me think ShortOrderCook's idea could work wonders on the main shows!"

Well I do realise it's either completely scripted or scripted for a fair portion of the show, I just don't see the point in being the hundredth person to say "oh it's scripted", I don't review Raw every week saying it's scripted or predetermined as we all know it is. What's the point in pointing out something that obvious? I was just giving my opinion on the characters and events that happened in the show as if I would after watching Raw or Smackdown. I find it makes more sense to watch it and comment on how Eva Marie looks like a horrible person for seemingly two timing her fianc

Oh yeah, and Trinity's mental.

I think you mean Ariane. Trinity is the sound one.

Right you are. It's the whole kayfabe shattering use of real names that's thrown me. That or I'm a racist for not being able to tell the difference between the two. But Trinity is very much the Brie Bella of the pair. Nice, reserved and clearly reigning the other in when it looks like she'll go that on step too far. Still, I'm expecting more from Ariane in the way of "crazy moments" before the seasons over.

Oh yeah, and Trinity's mental.

I think you mean Ariane. Trinity is the sound one.

Right you are. It's the whole kayfabe shattering use of real names that's thrown me. That or I'm a racist for not being able to tell the difference between the two. But Trinity is very much the Brie Bella of the pair. Nice, reserved and clearly reigning the other in when it looks like she'll go that on step too far. Still, I'm expecting more from Ariane in the way of "crazy moments" before the seasons over.

Is Ariane the bird that was on Tough Enough and said Melina vs Alicia Fox was her favourite match?

Yeah, I thought that. They've got The Invisible Boy completely it seems and he doesn't even seem to realise it. That supports my idea the other day.

Oddly enough, I was going to say "that makes me think ShortOrderCook's idea could work wonders on the main shows!"

Well I do realise it's either completely scripted or scripted for a fair portion of the show, I just don't see the point in being the hundredth person to say "oh it's scripted", I don't review Raw every week saying it's scripted or predetermined as we all know it is. What's the point in pointing out something that obvious? I was just giving my opinion on the characters and events that happened in the show as if I would after watching Raw or Smackdown.

Nonsense. You don't kayfabe your Raw and Smackdown comments. After you watch Raw and Smackdown, you're not saying "Brock Lesnar is a horrible bastard for hurting CM Punk, I hate him" or "I wish those scary Wyatts would get fired before they hurt Kane too bad." You're saying "the turn from Heyman was brilliant although somewhat predictable" and "Dolph again showed why he is the best seller in the business when he took that clothesline" and so on. Your Total Divas comments were like Ronnie's wife's comments when she watches wrestling. And they weren't at all in line with your comments after you watch Raw or Smackdown. So what conclusion do we draw?

Like anyone who watches reality TV, pretty much all reality TV nowadays is scripted in one way or another and a company like WWE who has on screen/in ring characters aren't going to have Fandango walk around backstage calling himself Johnny and being all nice to everyone when he is supposed to be an arrogant heel.

Except... Brie Bella is also meant to be an arrogant heel on Raw. The good-looking Funkadactyl is meant to be a sympathetic babyface on Raw. The Funkadactyls, Daniel Bryan and Uso B don't even use the same names on Total Divas as they do in wrestling.

It doesn't mean he's second best to Cena

I meant it doesn't mean that Cena is a better person than Bryan

Yeah it does.

Well I do realise it's either completely scripted or scripted for a fair portion of the show, I just don't see the point in being the hundredth person to say "oh it's scripted", I don't review Raw every week saying it's scripted or predetermined as we all know it is. What's the point in pointing out something that obvious? I was just giving my opinion on the characters and events that happened in the show as if I would after watching Raw or Smackdown.

Nonsense. You don't kayfabe your Raw and Smackdown comments. After you watch Raw and Smackdown, you're not saying "Brock Lesnar is a horrible bastard for hurting CM Punk, I hate him" or "I wish those scary Wyatts would get fired before they hurt Kane too bad." You're saying "the turn from Heyman was brilliant although somewhat predictable" and "Dolph again showed why he is the best seller in the business when he took that clothesline" and so on. Your Total Divas comments were like Ronnie's wife's comments when she watches wrestling. And they weren't at all in line with your comments after you watch Raw or Smackdown. So what conclusion do we draw?

Well I can't really use comments like "Eva Marie is as good a seller as Dolph Ziggler" or "I didn't expect JoJo to turn on tonight's show like that" when it isn't actually a proper wrestling show. So instead I guess comments like "Eva Marie is such a bad actor" should be filling this thread up?

Kayfabing Raw and Smackdown comments is a bit different though as we may kayfabe bits to do with what has happened but for the most part we are commenting on wrestler's skills or the new up and coming stable, or a brilliant promo.

This though is like watching Corrie or Eastenders, I wouldn't watch one of them and say "I'm loving David Platt's heel turn after finding out Nick slept with his wife, his promo tonight on him was excellent when they were sat in the van and the way Nick sold that truck crashing into the side of the van was immense." That's because we all know everyone is or should be clever enough to be aware that these things are acted and set up. Instead you talk about it in a way where you'd be like "I love the way David is messing with Nick's head after he found out he slept with his wife, the way he shouted and argued with him in the van was great and after the van was hit by the truck I thought Nick was dead."

Anyway think what you want, I have fun watching it as I do, knowing it is set up but putting that at the back of my mind (like any other wrestling show), if I continually kept thinking in my head "this is all fake, this is all set up" whilst watching any programme (Total Divas, Raw, Smackdown or any film or TV show) then it'd just take away my enjoyment and the escapism the show or film provides. It's like after watching The Dark Knight Rises there were people moaning about how certain things in the film are impossible to do, it's a film about Batman you're watching, do you really think the superheroes and supervillains in this film or any of the Batman films really exist, bad guys like the Joker, Bane, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy? So right there if you want everything to be literal, there's your first flaw. Got to say though Miranda Tate's heel turn when she was revealed as Talia al Ghul was awesome and the selling from Batman when Bane broke his neck and the selling from Bane when Batman defeated him was just great.

Wrestling is kinda in it's own world though, it is all about escapism, but at the same time you comment on the wrestler's skills on the microphone, in the ring, if things in the real world are keeping them from getting a push up the card (non kayfabe things). At the same time though I hear people commenting "why is Bray Wyatt going after Kane and bringing up the past? Maybe the guy he is talking about being a liar is Paul Bearer, maybe he is someone from Kane's past or he knows something about it?" That is kayfabe but fans do actually talk like that about wrestling too, not all just "he's a good seller", "her heel turn was done badly" etc.

Also on the names I totally forgot she called Bryan by his real name at the start, everyone knows his real name anyway and I didn't even notice Brodus' dancers were being called different names, only just remembered what their in-ring names were now. But yeah that's just a technique to make viewers think it is real life whilst still realising it is set up. The fact that Curtis is still called Fandango should be enough to realise.

So yeah think what you want, it's your opinion and no matter what I say or tell you seems to change that, believe that I think Total Divas is a real 100% unscripted show if you'd like, I'm glad that makes you happy.

^^^It does make me happy, it means it's doing its job!

It doesn't mean he's second best to Cena

I meant it doesn't mean that Cena is a better person than Bryan

Yeah it does.

Are you forced to shop at QS against your will or something?

I feel like Carbomb, because I've got no idea what that's referencing.

Very Eva Marie light this week, so less things were thrown at the telly. Felt like they didn't have much to work with for this episode, so they just told Nikki and Jon to act like bellends for the sake of some friction. Bryan and Cena again come across as very decent chaps.

Not as good this week as the previous two episodes but still an alright watch. I'm looking forward to next week though to see the Natalya and Tyson Kidd stuff.

"Since you got injured, our sex life has gone down the toilet. You pay more attention to the cats than me".

• Paid Members
Not as good this week as the previous two episodes but still an alright watch. I'm looking forward to next week though to see the Natalya and Tyson Kidd stuff.

"Since you got injured, our sex life has gone down the toilet. You pay more attention to the cats than me".

His old buddy Teddy has probably got him guest training a class in his spare time while he's rehabbing.

Still oddly enjoying this show. Was nice to get some kind of explanation for the bizarre ToF vs face Usos & heel Bellas match that came out of nowhere on Superstars a while back. Now that it's been established that WWE are booking matches on Superstars for the purpose of this show, is it slightly possible they promoted a Wrestlemania match they had no intention of actually putting on the show in order to get an explosive debut episode for their fake reality show??

This week also provided a great wrestlingLAD debate:

"So mate, which of the Funkadactlys would you have... yeah, obviously, but what if she's got a yeast infection...?"

Archived