The Undertaker Streak Matches Review Thread

FrankCastle

As has been suggested in the WrestleMania 29 thread by Chest Rockwell, HarmonicGenerator and myself (and being as no one has objected), we thought it would be a good/fun/swear filled idea to do an Undertaker Streak Matches Review thread, in much the same way ShortOrderCook did one for Royal Rumbles as you can view here...

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=132140...+rumble+reviews

And HarmonicGenerator's Triple H matches review thread here:

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=132408

The idea being if you send me a PM, I'll randomly assign you a number between 1 and 21, and then you have to go off and watch the match that corresponds to in the Undertaker's WrestleMania Streak. Then write your review (ideally including some pics from your match), and post them here.

Apologies in advance to whoever gets Taker v Big Show and A-Train...

WRESTLEMANIA XII - 31st March 1996 - Arrowhead Pond, Anaheim, CA.

THE UNDERTAKER v 'BIG DADDY COOL' DIESEL

diesel.jpg

Long before the streak became a thing, The Undertaker's WrestleMania matches weren't defined by his undefeated record at the event. The buildup to this match was relatively simple but nonetheless entertaining. Both men had been chasing Champion Bret Hart, and their paths began to align at this year's Royal Rumble event when Diesel interfered to cost Taker his title shot. He did so again a couple of weeks later on RAW; and Taker then repaid the favour at the In Your House PPV a few weeks after that (by coming up through the ring and 'dragging Diesel down to hell' no less!). This match was billed as a grudge match, no titles, no complicated reasons; these 2 big men had an issue with each other and they were going to settle it in the ring!

To give a timeline, Taker was a couple of months removed from his Phantom of the Opera phase which I personally loved the look of

UndertakerMask_display_image.jpg

In fact he lost that mask during his Rumble match with Hart which kicked off the feud.

Diesel was likewise in a new phase of his character, having lost his WWF title to Bret Hart at Survivor Series some months prior he became the first 'tweener', and the first person to reference Vince's ownership of the company on-air. He also turned his back on the fans unless they wore a single black glove to signify their support for him.

diesel1_display_image.jpg

WrestleMania XII was a mixed bag, on the one hand we had the Iron Man match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, on the other we had a returning Warrior squashing Hunter Hearst Helmsley in less than 2 minutes. Other matches included the Piper/Goldust backlot brawl, and an 6 man tag match with a Cornette led team of Vader, Owen and Bulldog defeating Yoko, Ahmed and Jake Roberts. This however, serves as one of the truly underrated Streak matches, and until the epics of the last 5 years would probably sat at Fourth behind Flair, HHH (first time around) and Kane (first time around) in my rank of best matches. Edge and Orton aren't far behind but this match pushes them out because it's just such a good big man match.

So onto the match itself. Diesel out first, looking cool, calm and collected. Hits the ring and waits for...

*BONG* Out comes Taker, rocking the purple gloves & boots and accompanied by Paul Bearer. Jerry Lawler talks about the mind games that Taker has been playing on Diesel as he makes his way down the ailse. Lights up, hat off, and we are ready to go in Anaheim!

They waste no time here as both men meet in the middle of the ring exchanging blows. They go back and forth with some hard hitting offence, changing fortunes when Diesel eats a boot while running in for a splash in the corner then again when Taker misses an elbow drop. The action then spills outside when Diesel lines Taker over the ropes; immediately leads to Taker dragging Diesel out of the ring. More exchanged blows follow which come to an end when Taker reverses Diesel's attempt to ram his head into the ring steps. It's good to see both men in their primes going at it like this. Neither are giving any quarter as Diesel rolls back into the ring and catches a following Taker with a boot to the gut. A whip reversal leads to....

WrestleMania_12_-_Undertaker_Vs_Diesel_03.jpg

TOMBSTONE!!!

Not quite, but an early tease from Taker, Diesel managing to slip off the top. Taker doesn't miss a beat however, hitting the ropes and felling his opponent with a big cross-body for a near 2 count!

Taker takes the momentum and begins to wear down Diesel. A couple of clubbing blows to the back followed by the now traditional ropewalk tell us that the end could already be near, and even a missed 2nd crossbody attempt doesn't stop Taker for long! Back to the outside, Diesel eats a ringpost but avoids a chairshot, proving a timely distraction for Big Daddy Cool and allowing him to run Taker into the barriers, followed by a driving slam into the ring post. A second ringpost shot, and Vince reiterates what we're all thinking; Diesel is now up and running, and Taker could be in for a long night.

Diesel plays the waiting game in the ring, waiting for a potential countout. When that doesn't work, he drags him back into the ring and delivers....

Kevin-Nash-Diesel-Return-WWE_display_image.jpg

BIG BOOT! (I know, that's the only decent big boot picture I could find..)

Diesel is feeling it now though, and doesn't even go for a cover the crazy bastard. Instead he chooses to continue the punishment, raining blows on Taker, hitting big slams and smiling the whole time. Still, even he is put off when Taker kicks out of the eventual pin attempt at a quick two. A snake-eyes followed by a Boss-Man TM 2nd rope straddle keeps the cocky Diesel in control, as he taunts the crowd with a raise of the fist. Bearer urges his charge to keep going, but it seems as though Taker is fading.

More shots in the corner keep Taker weak on his feet, but Bearer's words may have just been enough as he gets a desperation elbow up to meet Diesel's charge into the corner. Taker continues to try and fight back, but just when it looks like the tide has fully turned both men catch each other in the face with their huge boots, and now the only man left standing is our official! The double count is on, neither man is moving at all. Referee gets to 8, when suddenly...

z120055505.jpg

YAS!!!

Taker rises from the grave, Diesel stirring too and actually beating Taker to his feet. Diesel tries to suck the life out of Taker with a big bear hug, Vince and King astounded at how much punishment Taker has suffered. Taker fights out briefly, but Diesel manages to lock on a headlock instead. This time however Taker has him scouted and almost immediately counters with an back suplex of sorts.

Now in control, Taker delivers a big elbow before bringing out the big guns. A flying clothesline from the top rope garners a solid 2-count, it's all for nothing though as a quick reversal puts Diesel back in control to hit...

diesel68.jpg

JACK-KNIFE!!

This must surely be it now, the huge powerbomb which has put away all in it's path will become the undoing of the deadman. Except it didn't. Diesel decided to revel in the moment. He had Taker flat in the middle of the ring, and he decided to enjoy it. Tapping Taker with his foot to indicate that he had nothing left, he waited too long and allowed Taker to regain enough to sit up once more! No big thing for Diesel though, another couple of punches and a second Jack-knife surely must signal the end of the match and the end of Undertaker's streak still in it's infancy. Diesel's cockiness however was now out of control, taking far too long to make the cover.

When he eventually did, he was met by the outstretched hand of Taker, wrapping around his throat!

m82195166.jpg

Diesel fought him off, and for a moment seemed to have averted the comeback but only for a moment as Taker's hand once again gripped his throat! Once again the comeback was beaten down, but a third grab of the throat followed; this time followed by Taker rising to his feet, surely a chokeslam would follow but no! Diesel again escaped and put Taker back down with a back suplex. In true Undertaker fashion though, he is most dangerous when you think he's out, and while Diesel got to his feet in the corner, so did Taker in the background and as Diesel rose his fist in the air to taunt the crowd the Deadman stalked him; waiting to strike. Taker was now on the insurgence, raining blows on Diesel, hitting his leaping clothesline off the ropes, then finally delivering a huge chokeslam!

sd707_2scrn_wm12_ut_030613.jpg

The writing was on the wall, Taker signalled for the end, and despite everything Diesel had thrown at him it was not enough.

wm12a.jpg

A Tombstone piledriver finished the challenge of Big Daddy Cool, and Undertaker claimed another soul!

3712_512x288_manicured__8fJd4UsWHUyD2ZGh5mDmyA.jpg

A fantastic match, both men on the top of their game. Because the streak wasn't really a thing at this point, and the internet wasn't as prevalent as it is now there was definitely a feeling that Diesel would win. I certainly thought so at the time as a 17yr old watching at home. Had I been 'smart' as it were, I'd have known that Nash was coming to the end of his contract and most likely on his way to WCW; therefore meaning there was no chance of him going over. Like I said earlier, really an under-rated match and one of the best in the WWF career of Diesel.

• Paid Members

More important than that omission, you can't review that match and do it justice without mention of Diesel's entrance, sauntering to the ring looking cool as fuck, looking into the camera and casually letting us know - "I'm the shit I'm tellin' ya".

More important than that omission, you can't review that match and do it justice without mention of Diesel's entrance, sauntering to the ring looking cool as fuck, looking into the camera and casually letting us know - "I'm the shit I'm tellin' ya".

I went with Cool, Calm and Collected. What can I say, I was more of a Taker mark back then.

• Paid Members

WRESTLEMANIA XXIII - Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan vs Dave Batista:

undertaker-wins-2007-royal-rumble.jpg

The thing about this was, unlike now, nobody expected anything from it. Everyone knew Undertaker was winning (like they do now, until the last 5 minutes), but unlike now, most thought it was probably going to be horrid. Batista hardly ever had good matches, and the Undertaker just didn’t seem like the person for him to have a good bout with. Big man matches are an acquired taste at the best of times (especially when both are baby faces), so two wrestlers known for having their best matches against smaller, athletic workers seemed like it wasn’t going to be up to much. The powers that be obviously thought so as well, since this was one fourth.

P1030018.JPG

Batista entered first. Just your standard Batista entrance, with his machine gun fireworks. Undertaker had about 25 druids torches as Undertaker walked through the entrance way. It took bloody ages, but it looked cracking. This was before Taker got burned to a crisp that one year, so there was a shit load of pyro. Undertaker looks great as well. His long hair still looked awesome, his neck looked like he had a coat hanger up his jumper and he had pectorals. He must have been at his biggest. The story leading in was that Batista wasn’t intimidated or scared of the monster like anyone else. So as soon as the bell rang, he tore into the Undertaker. Fists and elbows in the corner. Boos rang out for Batista. JBL noting that throughout his title reign, Batista fed off the energy of the supporters and now that is something he doesn’t have. The Animal dominated early on, using the steal steps. Batista was so quick, its still pretty shocking. At the time he looked a completely different worker. He uncharacteristic went to the top tope and delivered shoulder block. Batista kept on cutting off Undertakers offense.

5_0_taker.jpg

It was now Undertaker’s turn to take control. He did his gut punches in the corner, followed by the running lariat into the corner and a big boot, which caught Batista right on the jaw. Taker then walked the ropes and gave Big Dave his club on the back on the neck. All of the usual spots to set up for his finishers. Undertaker grabbed Batista throat to prepare for his penultimate move, the Choke Slam. Dave countered by powering out of the choke hold using his hands. Batista’s then sent The Phenom off the ropes, where Taker ducked a clothesline and delivered a flying version of the move. I forgot how high the Undertaker jumped for his guillotine leg drop. I’m certain he cleared the top rope when he jumped. With Batista on the outside, he saw the opportunity to deliver his WrestleMania traditional giant top

Great review Ian, that is one of my favorite Taker and indeed Mania matches, they made it work so well, I was like is this really Dave Batista lol, where the fuck has he been.

That is how you work a big man match, so much power, all the big shit gets tossed about.

Oh, and Taker was fucking perfect in 2007, esp before he got injured, his was at his peak physically, wish you could bottle that Taker year, he was so awesome, loved the NWO tag before mania too.

• Awards Moderator

WrestleMania XI, April 2, 1995, Hartford, Connecticut: Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy

undertaker-king-kong-bundy.jpg

I don't remember seeing this match before, but I'm not expecting much from it. I recall Mick Foley's first book talking about how in the mid-90s, Taker was facing a lot of guys who were essentially too big to Tombstone or hit much of his trademark moves on, which limited him quite a lot. I'm guessing Bundy is one of those opponents, but I'm about to find out...

The Streak wouldn't have been too important back in '95, though Vince McMahon does mention that Undertaker is unbeaten at WrestleMania on commentary. Before this match, it was only 3-0, and Undertaker had in fact missed the previous WrestleMania altogether, so this is his first appearance since Giant Gonzales in 1993. Bundy had returned in late 1994 as part of the Million Dollar Corporation, and was coming off a showing in the 1995 Royal Rumble.

gives you all the necessary background on the lead-up. DiBiase and his Corporation have it in for Undertaker and Paul Bearer. Bundy beats up Undertaker, and IRS STEALS THE URN. Undertaker wants it back. Match set.

0.jpg

"At WrestleMania, I'll collect my urn, and fill it with the soul of King Kong Bundy..."

I don't like Bundy's chances.

KKB heads out to the ring with Ted DiBiase, who has the urn and is cackling away at his own fiendishness. Bundy, of course, holds the record for the fastest win in WrestleMania history.

And out come the Undertaker and Paul Bearer. Undertaker's entrance is just superb. I loved his mid-to-late 90's entrance. Lights go out, thunder and lightning, the classic music. Love it. Watch the match video, it's a wonderful thing. Taker's my favourite.

Before we kick off, Jerry Lawler points out that it's the fourth Mania appearance for both Taker and Bundy... but the FIRST for referee Larry Young! Camera focuses on Larry Young.

5670%20-%20Larry_Young%20referee%20wrestlemania%20wwf.png

Larry Young, ladies and gentlemen.

The match begins, and DiBiase goes to ringside with the urn. Taker is focused completely on it, and Bundy tries to blindside him. Taker counters, though, and hits a series of strikes

wm11.jpg

before immediately grabbing the arm and heading up for a walk on the ropes. I don't remember it being called anything before it was called Old School. Anyway, Undertaker's speed here is really impressive. I know it was 18 years ago but you forget he's so agile. Undertaker points to DiBiase and the urn (Bundy's basically been a prop up to now)

m82195050.jpg

and hits the move, but Bundy stays on his feet. Clothesline, and Bundy still remains standing. A second clothesline, and Bundy's still up! Taker is not fazed, however, and hits a third clothesline, finally knocking KKB over!

His attention is back on the Million Dollar Man, and I've just realised that they haven't actually mentioned why DiBiase wanted the urn yet. It's not important, I suppose. Bundy clotheslines Taker out, Taker does that really cool hand-hold backlip over the ropes to the outside thing he and Kane used to do, and lands on his feet. He advances on DiBiase, and gets the urn back! As he raises it towards Bundy, Bundy goes spare, and Taker hands it back to a glee-filled Bearer, who raises it again.

eDd4Y3FsMTI=_o_wrestlemania-xi---undertaker-vs-king-kong-bundy.jpg

Ted is raving on the outside, but starts to exit while Bearer releases the weird light that's coming from inside the urn and Taker salutes it. I am reminded of the light from the Source in LOST.

Lost051810_Source.jpg

That's my new mythology, Undertaker's from the Island. Sorry. Bundy uses the distraction to get a momentary advantage - a grand total of two strikes - before Taker gets back in the ring and starts pummeling him again.

No! DiBiase wasn't leaving! He was bringing out Kama! Kama kicks Bearer in the gut! He nicks the urn! Taker goes straight after him, but DiBiase's clinging on to Kama, preventing Undertaker from re-retrieving the urn, and meanwhile Bundy is coming up from behind!

I didn't know about the outside shenanigans in this match, but it's making it much more entertaining - Undertaker has three-on-one odds to overcome here. Kama leaves with the urn as Bundy takes control for the first time in the match. Taker can't go after Kama because Bundy just bodyslammed him, but we cut to a JR interview with Kama, who says HE'S GOING TO MELT THE URN DOWN AND TURN IT INTO A CHAIN TO PUT AROUND HIS NECK, THE BASTARD. JR does nothing to stop him.

In the ring, following the first pin attempt of the match, Bundy's got a foot on Taker's neck, and it's not looking good for Taker. Bundy plays to the crowd; he looks almost completely immobile, but he's got some kind of presence around him which makes that work to his advantage - just the way he walks around gives off this aura of 'give me an opening and I will squash you, I'm a monster type, I am'. This is essentially what he does to Undertaker next, slamming him again and hitting a knee drop. Sleeper hold, and after the mid-match excitement, it's taken a bit of a dull turn.

Taker gets up, and is whipped into the corner. Bundy squashes him. "Nobody can withstand that... EXCEPT THE UNDERTAKER!" says Vince - great call, especially when matched with Taker's face:

19950402_taker.jpg

He's had enough now. Big boot to Bundy, Bundy's baffled, bodyslam, bloody hell! BOOM!

l.jpg

Undertaker hits the flying clothesline, goes for a pin...

Undertaker_WM_11.jpg

... and gets the 3! Off the clothesline? Okay then.

Bundy's up almost straight away to argue his way out with DiBiase, leaving Bearer and Taker in the ring. They do their thing, but there's something missing. The Battle Of Bundy is over, but the War Of The Urn has only just begun.

Thoughts: Not as bad as I was expecting! It's not a long match, and there's very little that really happens in-ring - other than walking the ropes and a couple of slams, it's strikes, boots and clotheslines basically all the way. But the backstory of the urn and the Million Dollar Corporation helped a hell of a lot, and made the match itself more interesting that it had a right to be. I found myself quite into it by the end, but despite the urn theft and interference, I never thought Undertaker was in much danger of losing. Odd finish, too, but I suppose Taker winning the match wasn't the end of the story, so I'd call it incongruous but not detrimental to the match in any way.

This one's always going to rank in the bottom half of the Streak League Table, but it does have some things going for it. If the Streak were a Steak, it would be the slightly-too-thick peppercorn sauce that comes with it - not your first choice, not especially pleasant, but you wouldn't want to be without it entirely.

3273_1_296.jpg

Seven matches not taken yet - if anyone fancies a go, or if someone already has, if they want to write another one.

They are:

Jimmy Snuka (WM7)

Sycho Sid (WM13)

Triple H (WM17)

Big Show and A-Train (WM19)

HBK (WM25)

HBK (WM26)

CM Punk (WM29)

Drop me a PM if you fancy taking on one of them!

13-0

e9d161aa-35e1-4858-9622-b2ebaa8fdcb5_zps

Event: WWE WrestleMania 21

Victim: Randy Orton

Stipulation: None

20050403_taker_orton_zps22854335.jpg

Some background. In 2004, Randy Orton began styling himself as The Legend Killer, taking it upon himself to attack or injure various WWE Legends. Oddly enough, it was a WWE Legend, Superstar Billy Graham, who encouraged Orton to go where no wrestler has gone before. In doing so, Orton decided to slap Taker across the face, incurring his wrath and placing his father Cowboy Bob Orton in danger as well. Whilst Orton would initially flee any sign of Undertaker, he was less afraid of attacking the likes of Jake Roberts, who advised him not to underestimate the Deadman. As weeks went by, Orton grew braver and eventually, the week before WrestleMania, Cowboy Bob's distraction allowed Orton to RKO Undertaker and leave him lying.

And so to the review - I've never actually seen this match, and bear in mind I am watching it on the Undertaker - The Streak: 20-0 Blu-ray, so I have no context of the rest of the show. Whether it's important or not, I don't actually know. (PS: If you buy this DVD, ignore the match listing inside the case, it's wrong. Every match until WrestleMania XX is on Disc 1, the others are on Disc 2)

As with many of Taker's WrestleMania matches, it begins with the chanting music and torch-carrying druids walking to and surrounding the ring. Cole and Tazz are on commentary and the Deadman does not even walk to the ring, instead floating down the aisle on a cloud of smoke. This is the first of these matches that actively mentions beating The Streak as an achievement in itself, although it started to be mentioned I think around WrestleMania X-7. Orton is next and he's got that "Hey" music that he kept for a while even after it stopped suiting him. It is also quite odd watching Undertaker come to the ring first, as nowadays I'm so used to them having the opponent in the ring with the face of dread during the ominous entrance.

The match begins as the Punk Mania match did, with Orton slapping Undertaker straight in the mouth. However, Taker very quickly takes control and despite a schoolboy by the Legend Killer getting 2, the Deadman very easily shrugs off an RKO attempt, throwing Orton to the outside and hitting his famous apron leg drop very early on. Randy only ever gains the advantage when he reacts quickly and it's very noticeable at this point how different the Legend Killer of 2005 is to the Viper/Apex Predator of the 2010s; there is a great deal less of the slow methodical movement and a lot more speed and agility, as shown by some picture perfect dropkicks thrown during this contest. After Orton follows a Snake Eyes with a speedy shoulder block, he takes time to showboat and very soon after finds himself in the Dragon Sleeper, a move which I don't believe Taker has used in many years now. Randy escapes with a desperate DDT but fails to get three, prompting him to put his own regular sleeper on. This, sadly, is also unsuccessful and Orton finds himself back body dropped to the mat very quickly.

Randy Orton tries to back Taker into a corner but is hit with a big boot, however he blocks a running attack with a sloppy version of the powerslam he still uses to this day. This only garners a two as well, and to make it worse, Randy stupidly tries to go for a ten-punch, which only opens himself up for a Last Ride attempt when Orton stops at nine to gloat. Randy escapes and attempts an RKO, but Undertaker pushes him into the referee by accident. Taker goes for the Last Ride again, this time from the powerbomb position, but Randy counters and there right on cue is Cowboy Bob Orton to blast the Deadman with his famous cast. The groggy referee only gets to two again and to make things worse, Taker sits up.

Cowboy Bob's on the apron now as Hebner tries to use the ropes to pull himself up and he is signaling for a second cast shot, but the Phenom is wise to it and boots Randy's father off and down to the floor. Undertaker ducks a punch and goozles Orton for the Chokeslam. Then this happens.

chokeslamrko_zps90845885.gif

Turning it into the RKO? Got to be the end! 1, 2, NO! Undertaker kicks out!

Randy is certain he's got it won now and even signals the cut-throat gesture, letting his ego get the best of him as usual. Orton lifts Taker to his shoulder and aims to hit the Tombstone, but of course, if one raises one's opponent into the tombstone piledriver position, it tends to be easy to counter.

Undertaker flips Orton up with his legs in the air and plants him right on his head. Hebner slowly counts to three, and the streak makes it to thirteen.

13_zpsc8b3fb9f.jpg

The thing for me with this match (and I dunno if it's because I knew the result beforehand or if it's for the reasons I reckon) is that I never once looked at it and thought Orton really had a chance. Perhaps that is because Undertakers streak is a much bigger deal now than it was then, or perhaps it's because Orton never really had the upper hand apart from for very brief moments during the match. That said, I imagine the Chokeslam-becomes-an-RKO spot would've got me or anyone at the time, in much the same way as WrestleMania 27's Triple H Tombstone or WrestleMania 28's Sweet Chin Music/Pedigree combo did. Orton did fine here, but whilst I know some people may think he is boring these days, he is without a doubt much, much better in the ring. I do often wonder what Orton would be had he in fact won this match, but with his varying behaviour and the fact that he also required shoulder surgery almost immediately following WrestleMania 21, I absolutely understand why they didn't take the leap, and looking at the last seven years' Mania matches, am very glad they didn't.

Archived