Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Watched Steve Austin vs. Dude Love with special guest referee Vince McMahon from Over the Edge 1998 a couple of nights ago. The best match from the Attitude Era. Great match.

It is super, a really fun match. Great finish too I think.

Extra cool points for Vince finding the worlds tightest ref shirt.

Definitely one of those template, era-defining matches. It ages better than a lot of them because the drama was high, but at the time it was actually as innovative as it was good with all the brawling and stipulations and that. It's funny to see how that became basically every Steve Austin main event before Rikishi drove over him. Kind to his neck but value for money to the live audience and with enough going on for the PPV audience.

• Paid Members

That Austin-Foley series was tremendous. Produced a whole host of my fondest WWE television. Incredible promos, great stories, fascinating characters and character development, hard-hitting gripping matches, emotional, shocking, fun. I adored it. And it led into that fantastic summer.

The instigation for Foley to ditch the Cactus Jack shiz and turn to the dark side as Corporate Dude Love,

The actual return as Dude Love during Vince vs Austin,

The Post Over The Edge Raw 'The Battle for Mick Foleys Soul' starting with a storming promo between Foley and Vince and ending and resulting in the Falls Count Anywhere match between Foley and Funk with Stone Cold an absolute riot on commentary.

Great television. Loved it. Good times.

The Vader interview after his defeat to Kane was erm interesting!

The match wasn't half as good as the No Way Out match in Feb either, which I fucking loved for reasons which escape me.

Just watched this today (bought the tagged classic dvd of this event and the DX one last weekend), decent big man match probably memorable for Kane's wrench attack after the match

• Paid Members

Speaking of 1998, the main event of No Way Out 1998 is one of my favourite matches ever. Somehow Michaels not being involved only added to it. The anticipation for the next PPV was probably increased because of it. I'd say that was the night Austin became the biggest star in wrestling. The heat in the building was scorching when he tagged in and battered Savio, Triple H and the Outlaws.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Thing about that 10 man is Billy Gunn is one of the best things about it. I felt he showed more charisma and personality than HHH, if you would have asked me based of that match in 1998 who would go on to be the bigger star I would say Gunn. I loved the Outlaws in 1998, they were a great act and one of the most over things in wrestling.

But yeah that match is fantastic, Austin was the star of the show. Over The Edge with him and Foley is brilliant, I actually enjoyed it more the Taker vs Mankind stunt show the month later and the excellent ladder match at Summerslam. Foley in 1998 was top draw also, he played both face and heel excellently that year. Looking back the short loved Dude Love run in 1998 maybe my favorite period of Foley's career due to the white hot Austin/Vince feud he was involved in.

It also helped Foley was a bump machine with Austin safe guarding his neck at that point.

Edited by jimufctna24

This whole "banning of the Brogue Kick" thing is really shit.

The argument seems to be "it hurts people". Well yeah, that's generally the idea behind most moves; you hurt your opponent until you can pin them or make them give up. It's fair enough when they have a Heel GM ban a Face's move, but having Booker do it just makes him look like a gutless arsehole.

It just seems like a really weak and desperate attempt to add some heat to the heat-less Del Rio/Sheamus feud. Ricardo has been great, mind, but then he generally is anyway.

• Paid Members

Forgot the WWE's upcoming nWo DVD, this channel is uploading that old nWo complete set that was knocking about the traders a few years back. I've been watching it the last few days, and its so fucking good. What a storyline this was. Watching the early days of the New World Order unfold is as close as wrestling can get to perfect storylines. Its an absolute contrast to the stables that followed it. The initial players were all huge stars feuding with other huge stars. Hogan, Hall, Nash, DiBiase and The Giant were big names at the time. They were a proper threat. The whole first 6 months was absolutely excellent. Brilliantly done by everyone involved from the commentators to the wrestlers to the referees to the fans (who pelted the ring with bottles on a nightly basis). It was just a hot period.

I think the thing I mostly enjoyed was that it was from a period before every trick in the book had been overplayed, thus everything having maximum impact. Belt shots, ambulances, fake refs, beat downs, spray painting, limos turning up, invading interlopers and all the other stuff going on had a huge reaction. It was fun watching when the clich