325 replies to this topic

#121 IronSheik

IronSheik

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

All entries now recieved and the bottom three will be announced later today. But just to get a little conversation going until then, here is numbers 10-6 on the worst list. Just in list form, but rest assured the top five will have write ups.

6 - Spear - Edge
7 - Mandible Claw/Socko - Mick Foley
8 - Starship Pain - John Morrison
9 - X Factor - X PAc
10 - 619 - Rey Mysterio

The sappiness of Edge's spear was compounded by the memories of Goldberg's awesome spear from years prior where the velocity of the impact used to shake the building. Edge's powder puff version of the spear was more like a gentle shoulder tackle.

The only exception was when he speared (Hardy I think) from mid airing a TLC match back I'm the golden Attitude era. That was smart.

Mr Socko was shite. Full stop.

X-factor was in the same realm as the Running Powerslam and the Pumphandle Drop in the sense that it should never have been a finisher and it drew a 3 count only because it was classed as a finisher. It's like saying Rick Flair body chops are my finisher, so play dead every time I do them...

The 619 is for kids. Realism zero.

Edited by IronSheik, 28 May 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#122 Cobra1000

Cobra1000

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Im gonna have a guess for The Cobra or that one Shelton Benjamin did as #1 Worst Finisher!
Check out my wrestling articles on WhatCulture! and iSportsTimes or visit my blog The Sunset Flip

#123 The Natural

The Natural

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

All entries now recieved and the bottom three will be announced later today. But just to get a little conversation going until then, here is numbers 10-6 on the worst list. Just in list form, but rest assured the top five will have write ups.

6 - Spear - Edge
9 - X Factor - X PAc
10 - 619 - Rey Mysterio

One of mine already makes it, the X Factor. I thought I might be the only one who doesn't like it.

Im gonna have a guess for The Cobra or that one Shelton Benjamin did as #1 Worst Finisher!

I think worst finisher will either be the same finisher Shelton Benjamin/R-Truth uses (called Paydirt by the former wrestler) or the Playmaker used by MVP and I think Carlito also used it.

#124 PSF

PSF

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ok so here we go:

Joint #48

The Master Lock - Chris Masters

Posted Image

Masters made a claim that his version of the full nelson hold, which he dubbed the Master Lock, was unbreakable. Masters began a series of contests he would call "Master Lock Challenges" where Masters would put an opponent in the Master Lock and the opponent would try to break free before Masters made him submit or pass out. Masters would go on to log more full nelson submission victories than any wrestler in WWE history, breaking the record previously held by Kurt Angle. This is pretty impressive by its self. Originally he would call out memberís crowd, placing a $1,000 prize of his own money to be paid to anyone who could break free from the Master Lock. This never happened. He later started challenging members of the roster including Val Venis & Sgt Slaughter and increased the amount to $20,000.

Obviously all good things must come to an end eventually and this is the same for the Master Lock challenge. On an Episode of Raw in December 2006, Jonathan Coachman set up a Master Lock Challenge against John Cena for the WWE Championship. Masters appearing to have the challenge won released the hold for a short time, allowing Cena to reverse the hold into his own Master Lock, forcing Masters to submit, retaining his title, and making Cena the first to win the Master Lock Challenge

Link below for the first "Master lock challenge" against a roster member.

What you said:
The only submission move to make it into my Top 10. The Masterlock was the best established finish in the WWE at one point in time, I used to love the Masterlock Challenges, that helped to get the move over as an unbreakable submission hold. The reason I think it's so great is because it's such a tremendous visual move and when you've got a beast like the Masterpiece applying it, it's entirely believable as well. It's an old-school hold, a bit of a nostalgic nod to the good ol' days of the late 80's when efforts were made to make moves really mean something. The drama that you can build around this move is just amazing. It's a finish that we should be seeing in the main event at WrestleManias, it's that good. If Masters had been used properly by the WWE, the Masterlock would be the most over move in the business right now.

#125 King Pitcos

King Pitcos

World Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,421 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Obviously all good things must come to an end eventually and this is the same for the Master Lock challenge. On an Episode of Raw in December 2006, Jonathan Coachman set up a Master Lock Challenge against John Cena for the WWE Championship. Masters appearing to have the challenge won released the hold for a short time, allowing Cena to reverse the hold into his own Master Lock, forcing Masters to submit, retaining his title, and making Cena the first to win the Master Lock Challenge

I have no recollection of this at all. I mustn't have watched Raw that week, but I just watched Cena break it on Youtube. The first person I remember breaking the Masterlock Challenge was Lashley: And they did make out nobody else had ever done it, which is weird because Cena doing it would only have been about two or three months earlier.

These eyes are the eyes of the old

#126 Loki

Loki

Inter-Continental Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Cena cheated though. Masters thought he'd won, that's how I remember it.

RAW-1107-Photo-248_3189683.jpg

YOUR WRESTLEMANIA MAIN EVENT

Lana Sexy Pics - Clickbait to reveal!

#127 PSF

PSF

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have no recollection of this at all. I mustn't have watched Raw that week, but I just watched Cena break it on Youtube. The first person I remember breaking the Masterlock Challenge was Lashley: And they did make out nobody else had ever done it, which is weird because Cena doing it would only have been about two or three months earlier.

"Officially", Lashley didn't break it as Masters hands were not fully clasped at the time that he powered out. Cena is credited as being the first.

#128 Devon Malcolm

Devon Malcolm

Best In The Off-Topic World 2010 (with Frankie!) & 2011

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Here it is:-

It was for the WWE Championship as well!

#129 PSF

PSF

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Joint #48

Power Bomb Ė Sid

Posted Image

Sychoís powerbomb was quite possibly the best of the time between 1995 and 1998... Vader rarely did his powerbomb in WWE, Nash, while sharp, never had the mean dropping force that Sid's did (except to Rey). Like the chokeslam, it visually looks crippling as the opponent is lifted up high and slammed down with both arms. Both of Sids, WWE title reigns were won with the move.

Tribute showing some brutal Powerbombs

#130 IronSheik

IronSheik

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

That YouTube clip has some bad ass PowerBombs like. Had to be in the top 50.

#131 PSF

PSF

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Final one for the day:

Joint #48

Crossface Chicken Wing Ė Bob Backlund

Posted Image

Around 1983 or so, Backlund started doing the cross-face chicken wing, but back in í83, that move didnít garner a lot of respect. In the WWF at the time, submissions were seen as kind of well...boring. We were decades away from UFC and MMA changing the way we looked at submission holds. Donít get me wrong though, there were a few exceptions, Camel Clutch, Sleeper etc...

When Backlund returned to the WWF in 1992 and later turned heel, he again used the chicken wing as his signature move, even defeating Bret Hart for the WWE title with it. This match was funny as it was an exact copy of how he lost his WWE title to the Iron Sheik back in 1983, with the ring man throwing in the towel with the loser not actually submitting. This was a different Backlund, than the clean cut image he had protrayed all the years and throughout his 5 year WWF title reign. This was a crazed, insane Backlund and the Chicken Wing was the perfect move for a wrestler such as this.

The link below is a demonstration of how to apply the Chickenwing by Bob Backlund on Monday Night Raw from 1994. The man comes across as an absolute lunatic. I recommend you watch this is you havenít seen it before. He rags him about like, Lesnar fucking Sable!!!

#132 IANdrewDiceClay

IANdrewDiceClay

Wrestling Poster of the Year 2009

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,845 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I remember watching Superstars (or Mania) when that very picture was taken. Adam Bomb had previously saved someone from a Backlund attack. Next thing you know, during an Adam Bomb match Bob turned up and slapped the chicken wing on him. I remember me, my brother and my Dad watching it and going "he's giving Adam Bomb a right pasting!" That was my prime as far as thinking like it was real. I knew it was fake, but my head was geared towards what would make the most sense. Such as "Adam Bomb's a big bloke, he's sure to win the belt if he wrestled Bret Hart" and stuff like that. So it was a massive shock to see Backlund giving him a right belting. 1994 was a good year I thought.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN, 28 May 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#133 air_raid

air_raid

Inter-Continental Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Good work putting this together, PSF.

Road Doag's pump-handle drop - most devastating finisher of all time bar Davey Boy's magnificent running powerslam..........

I wasn't sure at first if this was sarcasm.

X-factor was in the same realm as the Running Powerslam and the Pumphandle Drop in the sense that it should never have been a finisher and it drew a 3 count only because it was classed as a finisher.

Are you having a laugh? For its time the running powerslam was superb! Back when a normal powerslam was a guaranteed nearfall or even a finisher as used by the Anvil, Warlord or Road Warrior Animal on occasion, being ran across the ring and driven into the mat with force by a bloke the size of Davey Boy was very believable as a finish! This was back when Rick Rude and Honky Tonk Man were finishing with neckbreakers, DiBiase and Beefpiece with sleepers and Duggan with a (usually) rubbish clothesline, remember. I think you're being incredibly harsh on Smithers and his weapon of choice.

In fact in subsequent years I might still have bought the running powerslam as a finish applied by someone equally as muscled, such as the Masterpiece (if he didnt already have a suitably boss finish). I think it looks miles more impactful than a load of todays finishers, the FU, Zigzag, Worlds Strongest Slam, SCF.... I could go on and on.

Posted Image

#134 ravishing1

ravishing1

Jobber

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

6 - Spear - Edge
9 - X Factor - X PAc
10 - 619 - Rey Mysterio

Im really glad that three of the moves I voted worst have shown up on the list.
619 - I really hated the way the opponent fell on to the second rope leading up to the 619 and then they over sold the impact and shot across the ring.
My problem with the mandible claw was that it looked like you could bite his fingers and break the hold
and lastly starship pain often missed the opponent.

Posted Image

Here comes the Ax
Here comes the Smasher
The Demolition, Walking disaster
Pain and destruction are our middle names

#135 ShortOrderCook

ShortOrderCook

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

When Backlund returned to the WWF in 1992 and later turned heel, he again used the chicken wing as his signature move, even defeating Bret Hart for the WWE title with it. This match was funny as it was an exact copy of how he lost his WWE title to the Iron Sheik back in 1983, with the ring man throwing in the towel with the loser not actually submitting.

Ha, never realised this. Wasn't watching in '94 if it was referenced but I've seen the finish a bunch and it's never occurred to me. That's an awesome touch, love shit like that.

Glad to see Backlunds chickenwing make it and to see submissions having a good early showing. The crossface chickenwing is something I was tempted to go for so really pleased others voted for it. As mentioned it looked and fit with Backlunds '94 turn tremendously.