The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
My favourite jump scare ever though is in The Eye. Two of them, in fact, and both made me leap out of my chair.

Up until last year, I always said the two best jump scares in modern cinema were the birthday party in Signs ("Vaminos, children!"), and a bit in The Orphanage, which I won't even spoil. But then Insidious came out, and the first hour has about thirty terrific jump-scares that are all completely earned, and left my body aching for three days with how tense I was watching it. I was shrieking so loud and often, pretty quickly I was virtually watching from the hallway. There's one in particular that nearly broke my back, because I flinched so mightily the back of my head almost touched my coccyx.

The Last Broadcast is ace, and one of my absolute favourites, although it has the craziest ending of all time. That's not my typical EVERYTHING IS THE BEST OR WORST hyperbole, but a solid fact. I don't want to ruin it, but it's not even a genre flip, but a flip of the entire medium of the film. Another nutty thing about The Last Broadcast - which totally inspired Blair Witch - is how it was made for less than $900, with all the editing and special effects done on a mid-90s desktop PC.

The Blair Witch thing is odd in how divisive it is, and how nobody will ever change their minds on it. Either you totally got it, and it creeped you out to the point where, like Seven, even remembering the tent-shaking scene gives you the shivers, or you rolled your eyes at the whole thing and didn't understand how anyone could be scared or entertained. It's probably a good measuring stick for judging whether people have any imaginations whatsoever.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
My favourite jump scare ever though is in The Eye. Two of them, in fact, and both made me leap out of my chair.

Have you seen The Exorcist III? It has one jump scare that is masterful. The timing is incredible.

• Paid Members

The Descent has a few good jump scares in it, where as The Crazies remake attempts it in every other scene and just devalues the experience.

Surprised by how decent the list actually is, I think Hellraiser and Black Christmas should definitely be ranked higher and I like Videodrome but it is insanely high up there. Still never seen The Exorcist and I think any effect it would have had on me will be totally lost after all the parodies and references I've seen in other films/shows.

Delighted that Don't Look Now made the top twenty, I don't see it discussed as much online and most people I know in "the real world" either haven't seen it or don't know it exists. One of my favorite movies of all time and it'd easily crack my own personal top ten horrors (behind The Thing and The Evil Dead, of course).

• Moderators

Have you seen The Exorcist III? It has one jump scare that is masterful. The timing is incredible.

That's the undisputed king of all jump scares. Jesus.

I don't know if a one minute Youtube clip is less or more effective than seeing it in the context of the film, but

This is an interesting side-road to an already great topic actually. Any more favourite jump scares? Paranormal Activity 3 has one that I'm ashamed I shat myself over, because you totally know it's coming, but I still did.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The wife jumping out of the closet early on in a cheap Halloween mask.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And

Many of the recent Asian horrors have a mostly daytime setting, especially stuff like Pulse and A Tale Of Two Sisters.

I'd forgotten about A Tale Of Two Sisters; thought it was quite shit though.

Pulse sounds pretty great having just looked it up, so I'll definitely give that a go.

Glad I'm not alone on A Tale of Two Sisters I have never been a fan of that film.

Pulse is a good one though pretty light on the actual scares and answers and from what I can remember is more about building up an atmosphere, the remake on the other hand is laughably bad but somehow it spawned not one but two straight to DVD sequels.

I almost want to check those sequels out :laugh:

• Paid Members
Still never seen The Exorcist and I think any effect it would have had on me will be totally lost after all the parodies and references I've seen in other films/shows.

The first time I went to see it was on the Halloween it was rereleased. It was getting laughs from the audience for the first half (not helped by my friend loudly singing the Indiana Jones theme tune in the opening desert scene), but the place was silent by the actual exorcism. The posession story has dated rather badly, but the story involving the priest and his lack of faith being exploited by the Devil? That is fantastic, and gets better with repeated viewings.

The first time I saw it, I found it disappointing. The second time, I liked it a lot more. The third time, it became one of my favourite films.

The Exorcist III one is amazing alright. Nightmares for years.

Other jump scares that I'm trying to recall... as a kid, the ending of Carrie fucking destroyed me. I was an absolute wreck to that point that the music from that moment stayed with me forever.

Talking of horrror films that do a good job of buolding suspense, which are light on scares, but it all comes to a great conclusion I would have to put out the film House Of The Devil.

The film is about 3 years old, but it's based in the 80's and if you didn't know otherwise you could easily mistake for a cleaned up print of a film from that decade. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, but it is a film that needs your attention, my girlfriend was bored with it and spent most of the film dicking about with her phone.

Creep was a very average film with one good jump scare - good in that it was utterly predictable but still made me shit myself. I barely remember it now, but I think the station had lost power and the lights cut off, then when she turned on her torch the villain was right in front of her. Like I said, it was completely predictable but still made me jump.

Anybody ever seen Monster Man? One of my favourite comedy horrors of the past ten years.

• Moderators
Talking of horrror films that do a good job of buolding suspense, which are light on scares, but it all comes to a great conclusion I would have to put out the film House Of The Devil.
The film is about 3 years old, but it's based in the 80's and if you didn't know otherwise you could easily mistake for a cleaned up print of a film from that decade. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, but it is a film that needs your attention, my girlfriend was bored with it and spent most of the film dicking about with her phone.

House of the Devil is easily the best 80s-set film, let alone horror, in terms of capturing that vibe of actually having been made in the 80s, and there's no "hey do you guys like Madonna?" or MTV on in the background. It does demand your attention though. It's a 95 minute film, with the first 85 minutes of that the slow build before anything remotely horrific happens. The director's made another horror called The Innkeepers which I keep meaning to get around to.

• Paid Members

The ending of Don't Look Now, while I wouldn't want to spoil it, could be considered a jump scare.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

That dwarf just looks so fucking creepy.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Oh and the ending of Rec! I practically jumped out of my skin for that.

• Paid Members

I am loving this thread. I know you can argue forever about how subjective cinema is but I really think that how you actually saw these films is as important as what you saw, sometimes even more so. Seven seeing Blair Witch in the cinema is a great example and something that influences how he sees the film. Moving into a new house when I was 12 and having my own room and an old telly meant that I watched most of these films for the first time on my own in the dark (most of them on Moviedrome which could have a thread of its own) and they scared the shit out of me. Films like Society, The People Under The Stairs, The Thing and The fog take me right back to that. I can remember watching every one of them. I legit couldnt sleep the night I watched Carrie even though they played a documentary before the film that showed the ending, The same with the ending of The Invasion of the Body snatchers remake with Donald Sutherland screeching at me, I had school the next morning and was fucked. Watching The Evil Dead and TCM on shitty VHS copies with your mates felt like you shouldnt be watching it. Its not really an experience you get with films anymore and everything is far too accessible. Theres not as much mystique with film anymore.

Archived