Hobbies and pastimes you had as a child...

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

I was talking to a mate the other day and we go onto the subject of Aggressive Skating, which was something we both spent alot of time doing in our early teens.

I was a huge Skating fanatic, my prize possession being these sexy fuckers. My Oxygen Argons which I unwrapped one Christmas morning around 95/96.

eet.jpg

All I did in my early teens was skate and if I wasn't doing it I was watching it on some 10 times copied VHS of Senate - Day off the rope or such like. After school we'd go down to the council offices and try grinding the high rails and ledges. On weekends me and a mate would get up at 6am so we could skate around Tesco car park with it's smooth surfaces and slick curbs without the bother of the security chasing us. On the rare occasion we'd be taken to the 'Skate Extreme' skatepark in Newport (which funnily enough was burned to the ground 2 years ago to this day). I even campaigned and was successful in getting a skatepark built in my town (Although it was amazingly shit). We made our own funboxes and planters and set them up in the backlanes, usually recording footage and trying to make our own skate videos. It was really all I did for many years.

Then I turned 15 and just completely stopped doing it. Mostly because my mates did but on a whole, skating had become somewhat uncool, BMX and Skateboarding were getting more prominent again, but I still have those Oxygens in the shed at my parents house. One day soon I'm going to buy some new wheels and bearings and get back out of them. Skating was heaven.

Anyone else got something they just chucked for a flagan of Cider on a Friday night?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing football. I wasn't any good at all, but I loved a kickabout. Every night without fail. Then the Playstation came along, and I could play that and eat crisps much more efficiently. Guess which one went by the wayside and which one happened about 5 minutes ago. Now I actively reject any sniff of playing football, and awkwardly try and leave the room when people at work are looking for a sub in 5-a-side.

Actually, I was a fucking handy little snooker player when I was younger. Started at maybe 8-9 and played every Saturday morning till I was 13/14. Won a few tournaments, got regular 20/30 breaks most frames and had just started playing the local professional/club team members without a start when I jacked it in for the aforementioned time in my room with consoles and crisps. Highest break was 73. I love a game now, but I'm nowhere near as good as I was. With real money to spend and real space in a house to do so, a snooker table would be the first purchase so I could get mint again. Briefly reunited with it when I was a student and Rileys in Sunderland had an absolutely mentally cheap hourly rate and something daft like a

• Paid Members

Riding my bike, cricket, swimming, Cubs. Basically anything that involved being outside or exercise.

I will happily play any form of football when the chance presents itself, but that isnt very often.

I'm pretty similar to NEWM on both counts.

Played football religiously as a kid and every opportunity I had would go for a kick about. Started Middle School and represented them every year I was there, then started playing for a Sunday side aswell. Between school and my Sunday team (training and matches) I was playing a minimum four times a week (and I also turned out for the Rugby team for two years aswell), yet by the time I hit 13/14 I'd lost all interest in playing football. Ditched the school side when I got to High School, then quit my Sunday side when I was about 14. Got far more enjoyment out of playing Hockey which I played for the rest of my school days. I'm convinced I burned myself out on football and have no inclination to ever play the again. Had a few half hearted games with friends on the astroturf when I was at Uni, and the last time I ever played was an indoor Five-A-Side on my mates stag weekend back in 2006.

I also really enjoyed Snooker as a kid, and kinda wished that my folks would have pushed me towards that more.

• Paid Members

Football and bikes for me too. I was never amazing at football, I didn't play in a team or anything, but between the ages of about 7 and 15 there probably wasn't a week went by without a kickabout of some sort. I was always out and about on my bike too, nearly getting myself killed dicking about on main roads with no lights, helmets or reflective gear whatsoever.

I'm shit at football whenever I play now, which is probably about once or twice a year at best.

Playing football. I wasn't any good at all, but I loved a kickabout. Every night without fail. Then the Playstation came along, and I could play that and eat crisps much more efficiently. Guess which one went by the wayside and which one happened about 5 minutes ago. Now I actively reject any sniff of playing football, and awkwardly try and leave the room when people at work are looking for a sub in 5-a-side.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to write, apart from the last sentence. I'm far too fat now for anyone to even consider asking me to play on a football team. I was obsessed with football in the mid-nineties, but absolutely crap at it. Collected the stickers and the Corinthian men, cried when England went out of Euro '96, the lot. Had my bedroom decorated in Man Utd stuff, like a gloryhunting little cunt. I used to even write pathetic football fan fiction, just make up little four-team mini-leagues in my head and write up the highlights ("52 minutes: Keith Gillespie scores from the edge of the area, deflection off Martin Keown"). But I lost interest in football completely by the 1997-98 season, I think. I was writing Highlander and Tobal No 1 fanfic by then, like the don that I am. I was spending a lot of time masturbating over the women in soaps at the time as well, which I've knocked on the head also.

• Paid Members

Fan fiction is very sad, but anyone who said they never wrote their own football fan fiction at some stage of their life is a fucking liar.

"Limpar squares it to Agnew. AGNEW DIPS THE SHOULDER AND DARTS PAST MALDINI! Its 2-against-3, Agnew plays in Ben Thorney - and Thorney is brought down in the area by Cafu and its a penalty. Up steps Ian ..."

• Paid Members
I was spending a lot of time masturbating over the women in soaps at the time as well, which I've knocked on the head also.

I wish I could say the same.

article-1207059-0615F27A000005DC-4_468x578.jpgHelen-Flanagan-004.jpg

• Moderators

Add another one for football. And I don't really want to sound like an "in my day" scrote, but when I was younger we used to have games that would end up something like 17 a side with rush keepers starting at about 10am until being called in at night with people just dipping in and out in between going home for dinner and tea. Do kids still do this?

I also used to dream up my own dream teams and design (shit psychedelic) kits for them that I thought where ace when I was 7 but probably looked like a tube of refreshers. I'd normally play central midfield with David Platt. Me pushing up to just behind the strike force of Ian Rush and Marco Van Basten.

I'm a lot less into Italian football as well, thinking about days of yore.

Bikes with me too. I'd be out on my bike almost every night after school. I was hardly ever in the house as a kid. We have a forest behind our house where all the local kids would go mountain biking, or making dens and playing games like Capture the Flag. Eventually kids started building fires there so it got fenced off not too long back.

Swimming, too. My dad would take me every Sunday morning, from when I was about 5 to around 11. Then one day he just stopped taking me. Now, I only ever swim when I'm on holiday.

Also, I was a lot more nerdy as a kid. I was well into geography, space, dinosaurs and history and would collect any books or magazines I could get on the subject. I had the full collection of Where's Wally magazines which would each be about a different country. I would read everyday, and I was just generally really into learning. This was during primary school - as soon as I got into high school that faded away and I started reading less and less and was generally less inquisitive. Now I'm bone lazy and spend all day watching movies and wrestling, and sleeping. Shame really.

Fan fiction is very sad, but anyone who said they never wrote their own football fan fiction at some stage of their life is a fucking liar.

"Limpar squares it to Agnew. AGNEW DIPS THE SHOULDER AND DARTS PAST MALDINI! Its 2-against-3, Agnew plays in Ben Thorney - and Thorney is brought down in the area by Cafu and its a penalty. Up steps Ian ..."

I don't think I ever put myself in the football shite I wrote. I can remember doing it in all the other stories I'd write based on computer games and wrestling, but not football. I did used to daydream that we'd move to America though, and I'd be really good at football compared to people there, and end up turning pro and having a gimmick where I'd always score a hat-trick on my debut for a side.

• Moderators

I think being nerdy as a kid is pretty common. I know I immersed myself in all manner of factoids about pretty much any and every sport.

For example, in 1994 I knew who Christian Laettner was. In 2012 I can name Shaq and that's it about NBA players. Al McInnis, Eric Desjardins, Wayne Gretsky, Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Jaromir Jagr, even Chris Nilan were all NHL players I knew as a child and today I know of literally none. To this day I could tell you most of the 1993-94 Swindon Town squad or the 1994-95 Leicester City one, but I couldn't for most premiership teams today. I imagine that as a child you have a real thirst for all knowledge about anything you may get into, which kind of goes away as you get older.

• Paid Members
Add another one for football. And I don't really want to sound like an "in my day" scrote, but when I was younger we used to have games that would end up something like 17 a side with rush keepers starting at about 10am until being called in at night with people just dipping in and out in between going home for dinner and tea. Do kids still do this?

I also used to dream up my own dream teams and design (shit psychedelic) kits for them that I thought where ace when I was 7 but probably looked like a tube of refreshers. I'd normally play central midfield with David Platt. Me pushing up to just behind the strike force of Ian Rush and Marco Van Basten.

I'm a lot less into Italian football as well, thinking about days of yore.

When we got our first proper computer at home, I used to spend ages designing football kits on Paint (or whatever it was called back then). I used to print them off and keep them in a box.

• Paid Members

Karate, I'm surprised nobody else has had this one on here yet. When I was a kid, you had to do Karate. I stuck at it for a couple of years, progressed to orange belt (Shotokan Karate). However in year 8 my school friends started going to a youth club nearby on the same night as my Karate sessions. As a 13 year old, what do you choose between- chasing skirt whilst showing off your latest chequered Ben Sherman shirt or poncing about in a school gym? Needless to say, I knocked Karate on the head.

My friend who I went Karate with stuck with it, attained black belt pretty quickly and came second in the British championships for our age group. A massive 'what if' on my part there. But it wasn't Cobra Kai, so fuck it.

• Paid Members

Footie - I used to play probably 6 hours a day. I was in some shape then.

Championship Manager - When I was about 14, my dad managed an office move. The old office had some ancient shit, and one thing I got was a massive whiteboard. I indelibly marked the positions up there, and then used it to work out formations and squads, like in a real strategy meeting.

Also, wanking.

Archived