18 years ago today the world lost John Candy

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

And on this day the UKFF pays tribute to the man.

big_Uncle%20Buck01.jpg

I know he's an acquired taste, but John Candy was a bit of a fixture in some of my favourite films growing up. Uncle Buck was everyones choice in our junior school when it was the last day of school and we could watch a movie. The Great Outdoors was always one of my favourites. Cool Runnings is a belter. Candy's roles in Stripes and Home Alone made both films better. And of course the masterpiece that is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I miss John Candy.

• Paid Members

He shouldn't be an acquired taste, should he? Delightful comic actor. I would have liked to have seen him tackle more serious roles, though, as showed a serious talent for it in JFK.

With many actors like him, I'm almost as interested in his under-appreciated roles. He's the best thing in Brewster's Millions and gets all the best lines. Summer Rental is hugely underrated as well.

Good thread, this.

• Paid Members

imgVidThumb_62.jpg

Gentlemen, this is a bob-sled.

Had alot of time for John Candy as a kid, he always seemed to be in the films I really liked, and regardless what film it was, he always came across a lovely bloke. Everything was alright when John was around.

• Paid Members

I've only ever seen him in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. But that was a fantastic film and one of my favourites and he was certainly wonderful in it. That film also has one of the most depressing endings I've ever seen. From that movie alone, he was a great actor.

And on this day the UKFF pays tribute to the man.

big_Uncle%20Buck01.jpg

I know he's an acquired taste, but John Candy was a bit of a fixture in some of my favourite films growing up. Uncle Buck was everyones choice in our junior school when it was the last day of school and we could watch a movie. The Great Outdoors was always one of my favourites. Cool Runnings is a belter. Candy's roles in Stripes and Home Alone made both films better. And of course the masterpiece that is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I miss John Candy.

bloody love this film

51WH3KQPVRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lots of the best stuff has been mentioned, however I love him in Who's Harry Crumb?, even though its not rated by many, and 'Orange Whip' and 'Car 55, we are in a Truck' from the Blues Brothers are also gold

My favourite actor ever, I love all his films, Planes Trains and Automobiles is my favourite film ever, I cant believe its 18 years since he died.

No one makes awesome family movies like the ones John Candy made, I honestly believe that Cool Runnings is the best family film ever.

I'm away to watch this:

john-candy-collection-uncle-buck-great-outdoors-dvd-cover-art.jpg

Uncle Buck for me, easily my fave Candy movie, its just such a great story and in terms of plot, its just so good with the characters starting off all a bit worse off and being better off by the end. So many great lines in it as well, like the one where Culkin asks Candy all the questions and the meeting with the Principal, good times.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a close second which is another great story with tinges of sadness but its a really great film.

'Car 55, we are in a Truck' from the Blues Brothers are also gold

That's why I came in to type about, I love that scene and the parody of it that Family Guy did. Uncle Buck is brilliant though, such a natural and relaxed comic delivery, I never felt he was "trying" to be funny.

I love Planes Trains and Automobiles. It's probably my fav film in which Candy as a starring role (The first non-starring role would be Blues Brothers). He was just a very amiable guy, or at least that's how it came across. But those moments in PTAA where you realise his secret (spoiler friendly) are so well acted and poignant. Very good acting and just seems like a real nice guy. RIP.

• Paid Members
I know he's an acquired taste

Really? I can't remember ever meeting anyone that didn't think he was great.

John Candy is absolute proof of my theory that the best comic actors and ones that are great straight actors. He was the Doug Williams of shitarse movies. No matter how bad a film was, stick him on the card somewhere and it would still be worth a watch, just for him.

Archived