36 replies to this topic

#1 IANdrewDiceClay

IANdrewDiceClay

Wrestling Poster of the Year 2009

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,927 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

And on this day the UKFF pays tribute to the man.
Posted Image
I know he's an acquired taste, but John Candy was a bit of a fixture in some of my favourite films growing up. Uncle Buck was everyones choice in our junior school when it was the last day of school and we could watch a movie. The Great Outdoors was always one of my favourites. Cool Runnings is a belter. Candy's roles in Stripes and Home Alone made both films better. And of course the masterpiece that is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I miss John Candy.

Posted Image

#2 ItsClobberingTime

ItsClobberingTime

Card Filler

• Account Disabled
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

18 years ago? Fucking hell. That's ridiculous. The older I get, the more I appreciate his movies. It's a tragedy to think kids these days won't see some of his work.
Posted Image

#3 Devon Malcolm

Devon Malcolm

Best In The Off-Topic World 2010 (with Frankie!) & 2011

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

He shouldn't be an acquired taste, should he? Delightful comic actor. I would have liked to have seen him tackle more serious roles, though, as showed a serious talent for it in JFK. With many actors like him, I'm almost as interested in his under-appreciated roles. He's the best thing in Brewster's Millions and gets all the best lines. Summer Rental is hugely underrated as well. Good thread, this.

#4 jimufctna24

jimufctna24

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

For Cool Runnings and Uncle Buck, I salute him. Uncle Buck for a movie that is shown 65 times a year never gets old, always good on a boring afternnon.

frank_shamrock.jpg

http://www.f1-news.c...m-clarkes-blog/   - My super duper blog

#5 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I love JC. Unbelievable to think it's been 18 years. There hasn't been a genuinely funny Hollywood fatty since.

#6 Silky Kisser

Silky Kisser

Tag-Team Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

Gentlemen, this is a bob-sled.

Had alot of time for John Candy as a kid, he always seemed to be in the films I really liked, and regardless what film it was, he always came across a lovely bloke. Everything was alright when John was around.

#7 SpiritOfTheForest

SpiritOfTheForest

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've only ever seen him in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. But that was a fantastic film and one of my favourites and he was certainly wonderful in it. That film also has one of the most depressing endings I've ever seen. From that movie alone, he was a great actor.
Posted Image

#8 EdgarTheSlouch

EdgarTheSlouch

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

And on this day the UKFF pays tribute to the man.
Posted Image
I know he's an acquired taste, but John Candy was a bit of a fixture in some of my favourite films growing up. Uncle Buck was everyones choice in our junior school when it was the last day of school and we could watch a movie. The Great Outdoors was always one of my favourites. Cool Runnings is a belter. Candy's roles in Stripes and Home Alone made both films better. And of course the masterpiece that is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I miss John Candy.

bloody love this film

Posted Image
NO SIGS CREW

#9 patiirc

patiirc

Sad Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Lots of the best stuff has been mentioned, however I love him in Who's Harry Crumb?, even though its not rated by many, and 'Orange Whip' and 'Car 55, we are in a Truck' from the Blues Brothers are also gold

UKFF World Cup Fantasy Football Winner 2014
UKFF Championship Fantasy Football Winner 2010, 2011. 2nd 2012

#10 kickin it wit the kliq

kickin it wit the kliq

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

My favourite actor ever, I love all his films, Planes Trains and Automobiles is my favourite film ever, I cant believe its 18 years since he died.

No one makes awesome family movies like the ones John Candy made, I honestly believe that Cool Runnings is the best family film ever.

I'm away to watch this:

Posted Image

#11 johnnyboy

johnnyboy

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

He had so much more to give. I don't think there's a film of his I've seen that I didn't enjoy, even Canadian Bacon. RIP Uncle Buck - I'd never have pegged it as 18 years ago.

Edited by johnnyboy, 04 March 2012 - 08:17 PM.

NFL Fantasy League Champion 2007 NFL Fantasy League Champion 2008 NFL Fantasy League Champion 2009 NFL Predictions League Champion 2008

#12 GPW Kristian Zane

GPW Kristian Zane

Inter-Continental Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Uncle Buck for me, easily my fave Candy movie, its just such a great story and in terms of plot, its just so good with the characters starting off all a bit worse off and being better off by the end. So many great lines in it as well, like the one where Culkin asks Candy all the questions and the meeting with the Principal, good times. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a close second which is another great story with tinges of sadness but its a really great film.

Edited by GPW Kristian Zane, 04 March 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Check out my live journal K Zane's journal
Updated June 3rd

Dan Head, ever the babyface, tries to get the crowd going by clapping his hands....stomping his feet....and shouting....."Come on, LEEDS, make some noise!!!!"...which needless to say doesn't go down too well.

Sloan stops to say "erm, we aren't in Leeds"

Head: "Oh....oh. Where are we then?!?"

Sloan: "We're in Castleford"

Head: "Come on CASTLEFORD, make some noise!!"

Not a blunder on the Buff "Hello Glasgow, England" Bagwell level, but still smile-worthy...

#13 cobra_gordo

cobra_gordo

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

'Car 55, we are in a Truck' from the Blues Brothers are also gold

That's why I came in to type about, I love that scene and the parody of it that Family Guy did. Uncle Buck is brilliant though, such a natural and relaxed comic delivery, I never felt he was "trying" to be funny.

Posted Image

#14 WWFChilli

WWFChilli

Mid Carder

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

You don't get comedy actors like John Candy much in these days, great funny actor he was. I don't think he ever didn't deliver in a role.

#15 spotlightmagnet1

spotlightmagnet1

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I love Planes Trains and Automobiles. It's probably my fav film in which Candy as a starring role (The first non-starring role would be Blues Brothers). He was just a very amiable guy, or at least that's how it came across. But those moments in PTAA where you realise his secret (spoiler friendly) are so well acted and poignant. Very good acting and just seems like a real nice guy. RIP.