NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
"Sin Cara and Kalisto recently dropped the WWE NXT Tag Team Titles because officials have been toying with a new gimmick for Kalisto, according to verified WWE insider MetsFan4Ever on Reddit. 

He reports that WWE is looking for a new masked star to take over with Rey Mysterio likely leaving but NXT officials recently tried Kalisto out with a new, unmasked gimmick - that of a gay hair stylist. 

Kalisto reportedly did very well in the role and is seriously being considered to do that gimmick instead of continuing with the Kalisto character. "

From NoDQ like, but still. Scary.

Edited by FelatioLips

His entrance would be better if there was a reason for it but so far he hasn't really done anything to establish a character or backstory other than Finn Balor is really good at wrestling which is a bit underwhelming considering we already have Itami and Neville doing pretty much the same thing.

I want to know why he uses the paint and wacky mannerisms...he has done nothing to establish this yet. Itami could also use more work on his character - Owens debuted after them, has only had a couple of matches and already has more character than both put together.

• Paid Members

"Sin Cara and Kalisto recently dropped the WWE NXT Tag Team Titles because officials have been toying with a new gimmick for Kalisto, according to verified WWE insider MetsFan4Ever on Reddit. 

He reports that WWE is looking for a new masked star to take over with Rey Mysterio likely leaving but NXT officials recently tried Kalisto out with a new, unmasked gimmick - that of a gay hair stylist. 

Kalisto reportedly did very well in the role and is seriously being considered to do that gimmick instead of continuing with the Kalisto character. "

From NoDQ like, but still. Scary.

So they’re going to re-package Kalisto as Rico 2.0? What’s Chuck Palumbo up to these days, since Billy Gunn’s still about?

I think Itami's fine as a character for now, there's nothing confusing about his presentation because there's nothing too out of the ordinary with it. He's a workrate guy from Japan. It's not particularly exciting, but NXT has form for it. It's along the same lines as Adrian Neville.

Balor is a workrate guy with a dodgy entrance that doesn't make any sense, outside of the "it's mind games lol" vagueness that the commentators use. And there's no connection between the entrance and the character (or lack of). As best I can tell, his entrance is basically meant to intimidate opponents with a combination of the Undertaker's scary stuff and early Goldust's might-get-an-erection-when-you-scoop-slam-him campness... But once Finn's in the ring, none of that comes into play and he's just doing moves.

Edited by King Pitcos

I think Itami's fine as a character for now, there's nothing confusing about his presentation because there's nothing too out of the ordinary with it. He's a workrate guy from Japan. It's not particularly exciting, but NXT has form for it. It's along the same lines as Adrian Neville.

Balor is a workrate guy with a dodgy entrance that doesn't make any sense, outside of the "it's mind games lol" vagueness that the commentators use. And there's no connection between the entrance and the character (or lack of). As best I can tell, his entrance is basically meant to intimidate opponents with a combination of the Undertaker's scary stuff and early Goldust's might-get-an-erection-when-you-scoop-slam-him campness... But once Finn's in the ring, none of that comes into play and he's just doing moves.

Hopefully he figures it out and works on his character as he does have huge potential. The quality of NXT is for the most part so high that sometimes it is easy to forgot that it is developmental! Triple H mentioned something about Balor's entrance and him not having to think about things like camera placement etc when he was in Japan so it could be as simple as practicing in order to get used to things like that. Better now than later on I suppose.

• Paid Members

That should be absolutely fine though. Surely the point of developmental is to define the gimmick and learn the traits that establish it. There is an issue with this in NXT though. As Trips admitted on Austin's pod, NXT is now an alternative brand. So these guys are getting judged far earlier than they ever would have before.

That should be absolutely fine though. Surely the point of developmental is to define the gimmick and learn the traits that establish it. There is an issue with this in NXT though. As Trips admitted on Austin's pod, NXT is now an alternative brand. So these guys are getting judged far earlier than they ever would have before.

Yeah, it seems like there's a conflict of interests there. Similar to defining an event as a trainee show or a "proper" show in Britwres I suppose. But as he implied, NXT is basically preaching to the converted so it's not as big an issue at the moment as it could be. The people who are most into it are the people who will always support Balor no matter what. As NXT grows to a more casual audience though, it could easily become an issue. And with Finn Balor, he's several years older than guys who are far, far better/readier than him. Obviously it's too early to say, but I wonder if he left it too late before going.

• Paid Members

One of my concerns about NXT is that you no longer really get that excitement of a fresh debut on WWE TV. From now onwards we'll basically have already seen everyone on NXT for a couple of years beforehand. At least with FCW and the like no one really watched them so you could have The Shield debut and have no real idea who any of them were for example. If The Shield were to debut this year they would have already been a team on NXT for a while. Also you get the sense that they kind of perfect their act on NXT and if it gets over ship it to the main shows as a finished product without letting anything develop and get over naturally with the main audience.

Edited by LaGoosh