RIOT!

big mickey

My main concern is that this case now sets a precedent for people using social networking for mobilising protests. What if you set up a march for a perfectly legitimate reason that the government don't like? It's not like we haven't seen anti-terror laws exploited before.

I think a major thing setting this apart from that would have been the actual use of the word 'riot' in the facebook page. Obviously there may be grey areas arising from future cases in this area, but this one seems pretty clear cut to me. Protests/marches are perfectly legal. Riots aren't.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I realise this but anti-terror laws weren't introduced to allow coppers to strong-arm 80 year old men shouting 'rhubarb' at politicians yet it's happened. You must have greater faith in the police/government that I do.

Edited by Dead Mike

Collectively the whole thing was a massive crimewave that can't be allowed to happen again. People's untouchable belief is only one aspect of society that needs to change, but it's certainly one we can deal with right now.

See this type of thinking worries me, the idea that the student nicking bottles of water gets six months, as a way of punishing those setting houses on fire, really does scare me. If I squint my eyes I can just about see why the guys trying to organise a riot got so long, bottom line what you're trying to create is a crimewave and for that intent I can see an argument for a very high sentence. But for those on the outskirts, as it were, this all seems a bit much.

• Paid Members
I realise this but anti-terror laws weren't introduced to allow coppers to strong-arm 80 year old men shouting 'rhubarb' at politicians yet it's happened. You must have greater faith in the police/government that I do.

When did this happen?

See this type of thinking worries me, the idea that the student nicking bottles of water gets six months, as a way of punishing those setting houses on fire, really does scare me. If I squint my eyes I can just about see why the guys trying to organise a riot got so long, bottom line what you're trying to create is a crimewave and for that intent I can see an argument for a very high sentence. But for those on the outskirts, as it were, this all seems a bit much.

I think you've misunderstood me here. I'm not saying everybody involved in the riots should get the same sentance. I'm saying everyone should face the full force of the law to send a clear message that they are not untouchable. By this I mean as individuals, just as these 2 being given 4 years have been.

Edited by DJ Kris

• Paid Members
QUOTE (Dead Mike @ Aug 17 2011, 11:52)

When did this happen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4293502.stm

• Paid Members
So everyone who stole something during the riots, including the woman with the case of water and the guy with the bag of rice, should get the maximum 10 years?

I believe I did say treated on an individual basis. But it should be in the context of what was going on. As in why were they there in the first place? Is it your bog standard slap on the wrist shoplifting offence or were they actively taking part in the riots but water/rice happened to be all they stole? Were they bashing in windows?

I think there is a bit of a difference in sending a message saying "lets go and loot Asda lol"

Funny you should say that. Someone just got convicted for posting this on facebook:

"I think we should start rioting, it's about time we stopped the authorities pushing us about and ruining this country. It's about time we stood up for ourselves for once. So come on rioters

The inconsistencies with these jail sentences amaze me. Of course Cameron supports this hard line stance. And harsh sentencing and taking the few privilidges away from the rioters is really going to help this whole situation too according to the Government. Yet more proof if ever it was needed that this Government don't have a clue what they're doing. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more riots. There often are under right wing Governments. Our country has a history of it.

• Paid Members
Funny you should say that. Someone just got convicted for posting this on facebook:

"I think we should start rioting, it's about time we stopped the authorities pushing us about and ruining this country. It's about time we stood up for ourselves for once. So come on rioters

Would you not say the countries been too soft on crime the past few years?

In some cases yes, in some cases too harsh, in most no cases no. You have to remember, reasonable sentencing tends not to make as good a headline as "Murderer gets 6 mths!"

And it has been working, crime has been going down, just reporting of crime's stayed at the same hysterical level (as it sells papers) so people assume it's been getting worse. It hasn't.

• Paid Members

Do you think we're soft on crime Kris? Given we've got more people in prison than any other country in Western Europe, the loongest sentences & more CCTV than any country on the planet I'd say we're pretty full on. Unless there's a special breed of British criminal that makes crime here much worse than anywhere else?

I'd say the 'bang em' up' mentality has been proven to fail yet government wont instigate real reform as middle-England is still under the misconception than the current system works, we're just probably not locking them up for long enough or that prisons are like holiday camps, or some other tabloid bollocks.

• Paid Members
QUOTE (Dead Mike @ Aug 18 2011, 8:13)

we're just probably not locking them up for long enough or that prisons are like holiday camps, or some other tabloid bollocks.

TBH my Dad often said that and he's spent more time in prison than a fat man has had hot dinners he said it just wasn't enough of a deterrent.

What's his standard of living like outside of nick?

What's his standard of living like outside of nick?

Well this is going back as we haven't spoke for 16 years but at the time it was what the rest of the family had and it was quite good we had our own house (well it was my Granddad's house but we lived in it) at the time enough money to live on.

The reason he kept getting sent down is he is a alcoholic who had a tendency to beat anybody up just for looking at him which I never agreed with I only really witnessed it once as I didn't like to spend time with him (On a side note when I did witness it as nobody else was around I was the one who reported him to the Police as the other guy hadn't done a thing wrong when it went to court I ended up giving evidence he only got 6 months and only served 3 of that)