The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
Ringo should stay away from acting forever. His scouse mexican accent in
being his crowning achievment

Unless you're counting voice acting, yes?

• Awards Moderator
Oh, and GO TO HAMBURG. Seriously. Beatlemania is fucking MINT. I'd recommend heading there for opening time (10am I think) on whatever day you go - that's the time I went, and for the first half hour I had the place to myself. Everyone else was recovering from their Friday night, clearly. Also it was February and freezing cold which probably helped cut down the tourist numbers. But still, it meant I was free to be a total and complete fanboy without fear of embarrassing myself in front of others. GO!

I'm on it! I'm seeing the lads at the weekend and am going to suggest we get it booked in before the end of the year. We've already got to subject ourselves to a stag do in Benidorm (ack) at the end of August so a bit of cash is spoken for, but I still reckon we can make it over there pre-November as long as the self-employed lad gets a bit more work coming in. By the sounds of your descriptions, though, I'm tempted to pay for himself! Cheers for the recommendation :thumbsup:

If you're having trouble convincing them, I'd go for a 'lads weekend' angle because, seriously, the Reeperbahn is the ULTIMATE Lads Night Out. Huge long street, all bars and sex clubs and stuff. It's like all of Amsterdam on one road. With the Beatles.

Unless you're counting voice acting, yes?

I know that you probably mean Thomas the Tank Engine, but he was great in The Simpsons. "P.S. Please forgive the lateness of my reply."

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Been listening to All Things Must Pass quite a bit lately and it just keeps on getting better. It's often labelled as the best of the Beatles solo work and I keep flitting between this and Plastic Ono Band as my favourite. Run of the Mill, as linked in my first post, is utterly brilliant.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well post this, which I saw the other day and couldn't help but laugh.

George John Paul Ringo Hughes charged with six burglaries on Merseyside

George John Paul Ringo Hughes has been charged with six burglaries in Prenton, Wirral.

The 18-year-old with the Beatles-inspired name was arrested on Monday morning on suspicion of burglary and was later charged with six offences.

Hughes, of no fixed abode, was set to appear at Wirral Magistrates' Court today

He should have known better (or insert equally shit gag here).

Oh and HG - Hamburg has been given the green light by my mates. We're looking to go in November so will hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the kick up the arse :thumbsup:

• Awards Moderator
Been listening to All Things Must Pass quite a bit lately and it just keeps on getting better. It's often labelled as the best of the Beatles solo work and I keep flitting between this and Plastic Ono Band as my favourite. Run of the Mill, as linked in my first post, is utterly brilliant.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well post this, which I saw the other day and couldn't help but laugh.

Oh and HG - Hamburg has been given the green light by my mates. We're looking to go in November so will hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the kick up the arse :thumbsup:

Nice one! :thumbsup: I was wondering how you'd got on with persuading them. It's nice that Paul and Ringo have still got quite a strong connection with Hamburg - McCartney will tend to play there whenever he's doing a world tour, and the All Starr Band were there the other day (I know this because I have 'liked' Beatlemania Hamburg on Facebook and they just put up photos of the band visiting the museum.)

New subject - what are people's thoughts on Beatles films - as in films about them, rather than those featuring them or their music? I'm thinking the likes of Backbeat or Nowhere Boy.

I haven't seen the latter of those two, but I have seen Backbeat. I liked it, I think - Sutcliffe's not someone you hear about all that often (I found out most of my knowledge of him at Beatlemania, in fact) but I did think Lennon came across as a bit of a twattish character. Of course for all I know, that's what he was really like at the time, but even so, it changed the perception of his character I'd had in my head.

Can't think of any other films off the top of my head, but there's bound to have been some.

Ah! Yes, just thought of one - Robert Zemeckis' first film, which I think was called I Want To Hold Your Hand or something like that. It's about a group of American teenagers desperate to get into the Ed Sullivan Show audience for The Beatles' appearance. LOVE that film. I'm well aware it's not even slightly approaching a classic, but it's really good, light-hearted fun.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Arbitrary piece of info: had a conversation at work yesterday about hobnail boots*, and ended up with 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' in my head all day because there's a line in it about said boots.

*(being worn by Civil War re-enactors. Like that makes it more sensible)

Did he come in through the bathroom window?