The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Remember having such respect for Paul after finding out how he'd gone out of his way to help be there for Julian and look out for him when Lennon was acting the cunt. He was a great musician and i'm a huge Beatles fan but Lennon really could be a nasty piece of work.

But what a glorious cunt he was. Has everybody read Phillip Norman's 'Shout'? Such a lovely book. So many great Lennon stories, the guy was a nutter as well as a prick. Despite the smiley facade, Macca was the true bully of the group, you only have to watch Let it Be to see that. I can't even remember the last time I put on a Beatles LP which is crazy considering how obsessed I once was with 'em. It would have been Revolver though, that's one of those albums I'll never tire of.

Remember having such respect for Paul after finding out how he'd gone out of his way to help be there for Julian and look out for him when Lennon was acting the cunt. He was a great musician and i'm a huge Beatles fan but Lennon really could be a nasty piece of work.

Then again Paul can be too - you just don't hear about it as much.

• Paid Members

I suppose so but does he beat women and abandon his kid? I doubt it. Not my place to judge like just Lennon's love and peace image gets on my tits sometimes. Amazing musician though and i'm a big fan of his solo work.

• 4 months later...
  • Awards Moderator
I suppose so but does he beat women and abandon his kid?

You were making a serious point, I know, sorry... but I read this sentence in the voice of this man.

i-ve-abandoned-my-child-o.gif

Anyway.

There's a new 'Beatles at the BBC' box-set out soon that they've been plugging on Radio 2, which will apparently contain lots of unreleased session tracks from the time in 1963 when they had their own radio show.

Also, I recently discovered that I can't hear the French national anthem without first thinking I'm about to hear 'All You Need Is Love'.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Let It Be...Naked seems to be more naked in certain aspects (overblown orchestras removed) and less naked in others (chatter removed, Dig It and Maggie Mae removed). I think the perfect version would be in between the two. It's strange that the original version is so raw in some parts, yet something like Across The Universe is overdone.

• 1 year later...

Bought the books Revolution In The Head and You Never Give Me Your Money the other day. Revolution...may end up giving me piles, such is its greatness as a book for the loo. It details every recorded Beatles song - who played on it, the recording sessions, the Beatles' mindset at the time and an analysis of the song. It's great stuff and gives you reason to go back and listen for bits you never noticed of songs you've heard countless times.

You Never Give Me Your Money is the story of The Beatles' split and all that came with it between band members and their Apple Corps company. I've not given it a read yet but I've always been interested in that period.

• Awards Moderator

Bought the books Revolution In The Head and You Never Give Me Your Money the other day. Revolution...may end up giving me piles, such is its greatness as a book for the loo. It details every recorded Beatles song - who played on it, the recording sessions, the Beatles' mindset at the time and an analysis of the song. It's great stuff and gives you reason to go back and listen for bits you never noticed of songs you've heard countless times.

You Never Give Me Your Money is the story of The Beatles' split and all that came with it between band members and their Apple Corps company. I've not given it a read yet but I've always been interested in that period.

Author Peter Doggett has been on the Word podcast lots of times discussing these books. Have a rummage in the archive for his chats:

http://wordpodcast.co.uk

Yeah, Revolution In The Head is great - lent it out once and never saw it again.

Might as well say this in here, and face whatever wrath I receive - but I'm actually a huge Yoko Ono fan - she's written more than her fair share of brilliant songs, not just in the avant garde "caterwauling" stuff, but in genuine funk-rock. Great songwriter.

Not only is Yoko's Approximately Infinite Universe one of my all-time favourite albums, but is actually a treat for John Lennon fans as it pretty much displays the best guitar he ever laid down. His best guitar work is almost invariably on Ono stuff.