218 replies to this topic

#1 Frankie Crisp

Frankie Crisp

The biggest fool that ever hit the big time

• Paid Members
  • PipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

No, this isnít a Ďthey were great Vs. they were overrated Vs. Iíve got mental imbalances and think they were shití. Itís just a thread for Beatles fans to discuss, well, The Beatles. Your favourite songs, albums, sequences, lyrics, solo work or just generally chit-chat about how fucking tremendous they were.

I adore them. Always have, always will. My first taste was when my Nan played the Help! album (on cassette!) for me when I round at hers one Saturday afternoon whilst my Mum popped down to the market. I was probably about 11 or 12. Iíd heard plenty of their stuff on the radio but never really digested it, then when my Nan stuck the album on and left me to listen to it in full, I was hooked. Although there are dozens of songs I prefer to it, whenever I hear the intro to Ticket to Ride, it reminds me of my Nan and how she gave me my first proper experience of these four lads who were knocking around two decades before I was born.

I honestly canít remember how long itís been since Iíve gone more than a day without hearing a one of their songs. In some instances it might just be in the motor on the way to or from work but quite often itís a good hour or so when Iím in house doing work or just pottering about. Other times, it can be an all-day session whilst I sing like a berk and gradually piss my neighbours off throughout the course of the day. Like Iím doing now. This thread will hopefully generate a bit of discussion about why people like them, so Iíll not go into that level of detail at the start as Iíd probably end up going off on a tangent and maxing out the character limitations for a post.

So instead, Iíll start with links to a few of my favourite songs. If you asked me to post my other favourites tomorrow, thereís every chance that youíd get an almost entirely different list:

A Day in the Life - I mustíve heard this thousands of times and it still gets me every time.

Long, Long, Long - this just doesnít get anywhere near enough recognition.

Yes it Is

Cry Baby Cry

Medley 1 and 2 - I never really Ďgotí Abbey Road until I was in my mid-teens, but when that album clicked, Jesus, did it click. The end of it is just astonishing.

Rain - how the hell this was only a B-side is beyond me.

I also adore these clips, because of how much fun the four of them appear to be having. They mustíve been a nightmare for George Martin at times:

Iíll Be Back
No Reply
One After 909

Iíll finish up with some tracks from Lennon and Harrison who are unashamedly my two favourites by some distance, both within the band and as solo artists:

Instant Karma! - possibly my favourite Lennon solo song.

Well, Well, Well

Hear Me Lord - ABOVE AND BELOW US~!

Run of the Mill

Mind Games

Isolation

Jealous Guy - love this video.

So, what about you lot? What got you in to The Beatles? What songs/albums stand out? Do you think youíd ever tire of them or are they stuck with you for life? Links would be good, as we might even get a few non-fans on board who have never really given them a try.

Oh and if you donít like them, then no bother. Just donít turn this in to a debate over why your favourite band is better. You can start your own thread for that. We donít want you to spoil the party, so just go.

Edited by Frankie Crisp, 19 October 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Nebraskaslim_zps8ee486c0.jpg

'But would you like your daughter to marry one?' a voice seem to say as Dave lept off the bus like a burning spastic.

#2 RIDDUM_N_STYLE

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

the beatles music is brilliant, have near enough the entire number 1s album on my ipod. my fave tracks are get back, hey jude, day tripper, come together, ticket to ride and 8 days a week. oh and in my life ( btw boyz ii men do a great version on their 'love' album)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

#3 WWFChilli

WWFChilli

Mid Carder

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

Your Mother Should Know
I Love this song. It's has a lovely simple piano riff and it's impossible not to sing along too, sounds like something a grandad would sing to his kids.

When we was Fab - George Harrison
The best beatle for solo work IMO and this is just a great song.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
A very rocky yet atmospheric tune with an interesting lyrical content, it's almost like 3 songs in 1. Nice fusion of beats and changes make this a memorable one, even if the White Album has some forgettable stuff on it.

Helter Skelter
Full on rocking out showing the Beatles could attempt what became an early version of the Led Zep sound IMO. Although it's weird not to listen to this song and imagine a murder frenzy (manson murders).

You're Gonna Lose that Girl
My fave tune from HELP! I'm amazed this songs gets barely mentioned much.

Free as a Bird
Real Love
The last two 'official' Beatles tunes from 94/96. Although Free as a Bird is a great song and the bigger hit of the two, Real Love for my money is a better song, just moe uplifting, some great drum and sitar fills throughout and Harrison just amazing with the guitar callbacks. The video is also really sweet to watch, contrasting the glory days with 3 old fella's working there magic one more time.

Probably post more later, Beatles are fucking ace.

#4 Dr.PeterVenkman

Dr.PeterVenkman

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Always loved the way Lennon sang "In summer, meanwhile back" on Penny Lane
Posted Image

#5 AshC

AshC

European Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hey Bulldog!

Macca thumbs! :thumbsup:
"Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed - and no republic can survive"

#6 Kenny McBride

Kenny McBride

Inter-Continental Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

That was Paul. ;)

I think they're pretty damn great. If you don't like the music, fine, but you can't even argue that they're not the most important band there will ever be. When you figure they were only active for seven years and churned out almost two albums a year plus singles, their output is truly incredible. I like to remind people that the whole Please Please Me album was recorded in one day. ONE DAY!

George Martin deserves a lot of credit. He invented techniques and equipment that changed the whole way music is recorded. He really was the fifth Beatle, especially after they became purely a studio band.

I could list a bunch of favourites but I'd be here all day. Later highlights though are Lennon's Rock'n'Roll and the first Travelling Wilburys album, especially Handle With Care.
There is one mark you cannot beat -
the mark within.
- William S. Burroughs

ITV Wrestling - The Ultimate Archive~!

#7 FelatioLips

FelatioLips

King of the potato people

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

My Dad always had them on when I was a kid, and I grew up thinking Yellow Submarine was a playground song that every kid knew. I remember sitting at my Gran's going through his records of them and reading all the bits inside the sleeves and the lyrics and that. Because I live with my Mum, and my Dad ended up being an absolute turd who I just stopped seeing, I never really heard much of them between the ages of like 7/8 to 18 but then decided I really should check them out again. Can't say I love all their stuff like some people, but I do like an awful lot of it and appreciate why they're known as the greatest band ever. I'm a much bigger fan of their wackier stuff like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, I am The Walrus, Octopus' Garden, etc. I do like the more upbeat rocky stuff like Helter Skelter and Hey Bulldog too. George Harrison was the best one.

#8 Teedy Kay

Teedy Kay

Card Filler

• Paid Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'm not the biggest of fans, but I do love a fair amount of their work.

My favourite Beatles album is Magical Mystery Tour, yes I know it's not Technically an album, more of a soundttack, and even then the CD version released was actually the US version, but I fucking love it.

Song wise, I love 'Something' and 'In My Life'

Their early work still strikes me as pop pap though.

kligcole.jpg

#9 Mr. Seven

Mr. Seven

Resident Music Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?

#10 WWFChilli

WWFChilli

Mid Carder

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?

No not really just anyone who planned on coming in and being a cunt about the Beatles in a positive thread about them. Waterboy made the intentions clear and usually most music threads do decend into that type of nonsence.

I'm guessing you don't like the Beatles then Sev :p

#11 Mr. Seven

Mr. Seven

Resident Music Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

That would be a bit of an understatement.

#12 WWFChilli

WWFChilli

Mid Carder

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

That would be a bit of an understatement.

Fair enough.

#13 Dr.PeterVenkman

Dr.PeterVenkman

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

That was Paul. ;)

The in summer bit was Lennon
Posted Image

#14 martyngnr

martyngnr

Unleashing the trademark

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

I absolutely love The Beatles.

You Cant Do That :love:

I'm Down - Live at Shea Stadium I love the almost shambolic nature of this. It's basically 4 guys (well maybe not Ringo) having the absolute time of their fucking lives.

Solo material-wise I prefer Paul's stuff but -

John Lennon - Be My Baby I usually hate moody, slowed down cover versions but this is just wonderful.
"Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul" - Alfredo Di Stefano

#15 Mattyc

Mattyc

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

I really started to take it upon myself to get into the Beatles around five years ago as far as getting my own copies of their albums, but theyíve been background music to my life for as long as I can remember thanks to my Dad who constantly played their music while I was growing up (with Queen, Kraftwerk, Michael Jackson and Madonna being the other major standouts).

When I took the time years later to listen to their albums I realised that due to growing up listening to them in the background I pretty much already knew all of their songs from memory without realising it. It's the same with the solo work, I got one of George Harrisonís albums a few weeks ago and I thought it would be new to me only to discover that I remembered it pretty much song for song due to the memories of it being played when I was a kid.

Just writing this post has actually bought back a memory of me watching the Yellow Submarine movie with my Dad, I must have been pretty young at the time. So yeah, theyíve always been there.

Like Teedy Kay my favourite Beatles album is also Magical Mystery Tour, the album just flows tremendously for me with not one track that I have the faintest hint of dislike for. Blue Jay Way is the standout track for me though, itís a song that needs to be listened to in the dark at a high volume with a good pair of headphones.

Blue Jay Way

When it comes to the solo work I enjoy plenty from McCartney and Harrison but I prefer John Lennon overall, the Double Fantasy album has some of my favourite songs of his like Cleanup Time, (Just Like) Starting Over, Woman and Watching the Wheels. Itís just a shame for every high that album has it getís bought down by a Yoko track.

Mind Games, Instant Karma, I Don't Want to Be a Soldier, How do you sleep are also favorites from Lennon that stand out to me.

For anyone looking to get into/find out more about the Beatles you cannot go wrong with the Anthology DVD, itís a wonderful documentary series that I think even those with only the faintest of interest in the Beatles would find enjoyable.

Edit:
Just two more things that have sprung to mind,

Don't let me down
One of my favourite Beatles songs is also the standout part of the 1969 rooftop concert for me.

Bungalow Bill
I'm linking this just because it's a song from the Beatles that pops up in my head way too frequently.

Edited by Mattyc, 26 June 2011 - 03:48 AM.

If you're gonna go, Go with a smile