SOUTHSIDE present - TWO SHOWS IN ONE DAY - 10th Oct - SHEFFIELD

Southside crew

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm happy with that. I've liked Gunn the handful of times I've seen him and whilst I thought Smile was absolutely rotten last year, he was surprisingly on form in his first Southside appearances so much so I was wondering if I saw him off form last year.

I think Ryan has really stepped up a gear this year , while I have wanted to use Gunn for quite a while :D

I'd love to hear that Ospreay vs. Uhaa was a massive disappointment.  The combination of starting 45 minutes late, and a quite baffling 40 minute intermission on top of that, meant that I had to leave before the main event (and the match I was most looking forward to) so I could catch the last train home.  Apparently the ring was late turning up (again) and they had various issues with the venue (again), making Sheffield quite the cursed location for Southside.

Aside from that it was a fine show, in what is actually a potentially good venue (who don't seem to have much business sense, not even opening the bar until it was practically bell time).  The four way and the intergender tag were probably the highlights... though on second thoughts, no, the highlight of the entire night was probably the old lady in the wheelchair who shouted abuse and threatened violence against Joseph Connors throughout his and Jimmy Havoc's tag match against the Hunter brothers.  I hope she's at St Neots next Sunday, as that's definitely a feud I'd be happy to see more of!

• Paid Members

Hi Guys 

Firstly apologies for all that went wrong last night , we really do feel like Sheffield is cursed for us.

Started on the drive up when another promoter ( same one yet again ) tried to get the show cancelled. 

Then the traffic was so bad that over half the roster and the ring were not there when the show was due to start.

We 100% will not be running Sheffield again on a Friday night , the amount of problems we have occurred over the two shows have been untrue. The reason the interval was so long was because Ligero wasn't there due to a horrible journey he had coming from GPW and massive thanks and respect to him for still making it ( anyone who knows Snake pass ) will testify in the pouring rain is a horrendous journey. 

We  haven had our film guy get involved in a car crash on way up.

Surely Sheffield will be a third time lucky ! 

To end on a positive note , Fans seemed to really enjoy the show and Conners and Havoc had the following message - 

Sorry to disappoint Firstname but Uhaa/Ospreay was absolutely brilliant and far away MOTN. Uhaa threw around Ospreay like a rag doll with overhead belly to belly suplexes, multiple german suplexes, multiple powerbombs and really used his power and strength rather than his more flippy side against Ospreay which made a lot of sense. Ospreay was incredible with his athleticism even managing a Sasuke Special into the audience onto Uhaa. Finish was nuts with a reverse hurricanrana, superkicks and then a top rope 450 splash. Loved that match. Absolutely loved it.

Results:

Ryan Smile over BT Gunn via roll up with holding the tights - Really good opening match and a lot better than what I thought it'd be. Fair bit longer too as they went all out. Gunn's chops really are something to behold live.

Jimmy Havoc over Mark Andrews, Robbie X & Stevie Boy via Rainmaker onto Stevie - Great fatal fourway. Was disappointed we didn't get anything in the way of Andrews vs Robbie really as that's a singles match I'd love to see but grumpy, dickhead Jimmy Havoc was a joy to watch. And he was still face..... Ish at that point.

Flex Buffington over Grado via low blow and small package - I'll be honest I expected the worst on this one. Flex has been hit and miss and while I see the appeal of Grado I'm not caught up in it. But you can't deny Grado is over as fuck, he quite clearly has "it" and had the vast majority of the audience in the palm of his hand. A rather enjoyable comedy match and that's coming from someone who had the pre-conceived notion I was gonna hate it. I didn't and the crowd loved it/Grado.

Chris Hero over Stixx via Death Blow - Decent first half main event. Stixx's MO is to slow things down and build a methodical match when it all honesty all I wanted was for Hero to throw strikes and an opponent to go toe to toe with him, or show off the more technical side of Hero and have someone go hold to hold with him. You had parts of the strikes and some absolutely great ones, but it was definitely a Stixx match. In saying that he usually does have great finishing runs and this was no exception and helped elevate the match up.

Joseph Conners & Jimmy Havoc over The Hunter Brothers via rainmaker - Conners claimed Havoc had refused to team with him and instead stated that his actions in September was to fire up The Hunters, have them embrace their darker sides and join him. That turned out to be a ruse as Havoc did slide in the ring from behind with a chair to attack both Hunters before the match began. With extended heat sequences on both Hunters and Conners and Havoc riling the crowd up to the point some people in the audience where getting heavily into it. Especially the old woman in the wheel chair who attempted to kick and punch Conners when he walked past and at the end of the match, with a Hunter tied to the ropes and Conners(?) bringing the chair in to finish the job, she even walked again to get out of her wheelchair and grab hold of the chair and attempt to take it from him! Crazy old mad lady, I hope she never changes.

The Vulture Squad over Lucha Lee Ray via Canadian Destroyer from Nixon onto Ligero with Brookes pinning - Good tag match. Ligs was late to the venue hence the ridiculously long intermission to cover for him. Had to go a different tact from the tag match before as well as both teams being face so took it slow and built the match up to show Vulture Squad as equals to Lucha Lee Ray as well as KLR getting increasingly frustrated, not only with her opponents but her own partner as well. Nixon hits a fantastic Canadian Destroyer that still hasn't lost it's awe in the 5 or so times I've seen her do it live.

Will Ospreay over Uhaa Nation via top rope 450 splash - I know I typed about this match earlier but it really was stunning. Uhaa wrestled a smart match using the power game to wear Ospreay down and really planted him on a few powerbombs and chucked him almost fully across the ring on a belly to belly. Ospreay had to use his agility and high flying arsenal to stay in the match and had to take the risks including the Sasuke Special to keep on top of the big man. Several near falls had me as I was convinced Uhaa was going to take the belt eventhough I was desperate for Will to retain. Quite possibly the best match I've ever seen live in Sheffield easily beating anything on the first Southside show, the March 2010 101 show and even the 1PW Ice Rink show from July 2009. A more than worthy main event and a match that needs to be seen by any Dragon Gate fan.

I loved this show. It was a great atmosphere and I was surrounded by friends as we were all having a good time. I got to bring a couple of work friends and they loved it. My fiancee loved it. The issues around the show (and repeated from the last one unfortunately) like the late doors, late start, long intermission, ring arriving late, wrestlers arriving late (including a certain Mexican being ridiculously late), venue fuck up (least it took place there this time...) and all that but the show itself was a quality show and well worth checking out on DVD, even if just for the main alone. I know for a fact Ben's never doing a Friday show again due to all this repeating again.

Archived