The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Wasn't there some sort of controversy surrounding his suicide at the time? I'm sure I recall in all the tributes people refusing to comment on the likely reasons for him taking his own life. 

I took it more as there were some regrets, some dislikes etc but yes thinking back you could have read between the lines perhaps (whether correctly or incorrectly). 

Not related but I couldn't for the life of me track down what Alex Shane said/posted at the time (which he mentioned in the podcast).

That story just makes me sick to my stomach

And of course it's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to such stories, I saw a Tommy Dreamer video a little while back where he said he saw guys being made to wipe another guys ass after a sh!t in Japan.

Not to get carried away but you can see a Jimmy Saville style expose happening down the line in the pro wresting indrustry, no it won't be very mainstream but alot of big names could see their legacies tarnished in shame.

As for that story, it's just a pity the victems never reported it to the Police at the time, they essentially held, humilated and beat several young men, that is an offence that could easily lead to prison time

• Paid Members

Another cracking Power Slam related podcast here. Allan Blackstock interviews Rob Butcher, Greg Lambert and the UKFF's own John Lister for a little roundtable history of the magazine. Really good interview really. The Wrestling Eye podcasts usually are.

http://wrestlingeye.libsyn.com/wrestling-eye-podcast-episode-6-talking-powerslam-magazine-with-rob-butcher-john-lister-and-greg-lambert

• 4 months later...

It's bad form to kick a man when he's already beaten, but I've spent valentine's night being super cool and looking at Fin's Powerslam site.

I was talking to a non-fan several months ago about a wrestling show I had attended the previous evening. “How was it?” he asked, feigning interest out of courtesy. “Okay,” I replied. “But there was too much comedy on the under card.”

On Raw last night: Roman Reigns was booed in his show-opening promo. He was hesitant again and tripped over his words at one point. If only John Cena were there to mock him before the world. Missed out there, John. Don’t worry: you’ll have your chance to bury Roman after WWE turns him heel and pits him against you. On the subject of Cena, he cut a promo on Rusev and Lana. He was doing so well, with his serious, no-nonsense fighting speech, until he made a “poo-poo” joke. The walking Candy Crush screen shot couldn’t help himself. Or, rather, the scatology-obsessed Vince McMahon was unable to resist. McMahon lived down to the pro wrestling stereotype he detests once again. Rusev and Cena had a half-hearted, uncoordinated brawl on the ramp which ended when Rusev poked Cena in the eye. Cena sold the eye poke. Cena never sells worked injuries after week two. Let’s see if he breaks the habit of a lifetime with this one.

• Paid Members

It's bad form to kick a man when he's already beaten, but I've spent valentine's night being super cool and looking at Fin's Powerslam site.

I was talking to a non-fan several months ago about a wrestling show I had attended the previous evening. “How was it?” he asked, feigning interest out of courtesy. “Okay,” I replied. “But there was too much comedy on the under card.” 

That's incredible.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

I bought it. I'm only a short way in but its really good. I always found Fin's stuff eminently readable even though his bitter tone eventually ground me down.

Best thing I've discovered so far is this Roddy Piper record "I'm your man" that I somehow have never seen before. It's so epicly bad that it's good! Almost.

https://youtu.be/qa1Q6xpoM8cc

One thing that stood out. Fin mentions that in the late 80s he knew people who were fans of the NWA and would be horrified when people turned up in the WWF (Dusty, Bushwhackers, etc) as comedy characters. Do you reckon this knowledge came from reading magazines or was there a tape trading scene that early?

Edited by tiger_rick