The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I've got a vague memory of when I first had regular, proper internet access trying to find RSPW because of the Powerslam mentions, and I never could.

RSPW was the first online wrestling forum/community I followed, and somehow it didn't kill my love of Wrestling completely.

• Paid Members

I guess you'll have to wait for the whizzkid spods in Silicon Valley to invent some kind of online engine that allows you to search for words or phrases, and have a repository of related information pulled up for you.

Don't hold your breath though, that's some real hovercar shit.

I went to their .org page years ago and it was a dated-looking mess with just a few crappy links on it - still looks the same. So it wasn't an enlightening visit. I had no idea where Mo was getting all those quotes from, and why he wouldn't just go to a forum. I guess the "newsgroup" thing explains - I've  never used one, so I guess that's why it never displayed right for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is a tremendous interview so far. Some awesome conversation between the pair, including a tragic (as in sad as fuck) story about Andre Baker taking to fans who had booed him into the dressing room and slapping them about. What a knob. Also a Power Slam getting "banned" from covering Hammerlock for saying the show was shit, leading to Fin being quite sour on the BritWres scene. Really cracking listen. And I'm only an hour in.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Does Fin talk about his John Cena obsession at all on this?

Check out the bitterness oozing out of this snippet from a recent article on his psmag site...

...On the September 5 SmackDown, John Cena opened the show with another screaming promo. When Kane and Seth Rollins interrupted, Cena knocked Kane’s fashion sense. Kane was wearing a smart suit. Cena was wearing his latest range of lurid merchandise. As if Cena would be wearing anything else. Next, Cena continued his Career Killer Tour when he said to Rollins: “You, Mr. Plan B, why don’t you kiss my Plan A? The grown-ups are talking. Get on over in the corner and shut up.”  Isn’t Rollins the Money In The Bank contract-holder and, therefore, a wrestler who we’re supposed to believe might capture the WWE World heavyweight title within the next nine-and-a-half months? Why did Cena treat him like an enhancement talent? Oh, yes. Because everyone (except Lesnar last month) is there to enhance Cena. And so Cena could provoke a laugh.

Pissed myself at 'Kane was wearing a smart suit'   :laugh: 

This is a tremendous interview so far. Some awesome conversation between the pair, including a tragic (as in sad as fuck) story about Andre Baker taking to fans who had booed him into the dressing room and slapping them about. What a knob. Also a Power Slam getting "banned" from covering Hammerlock for saying the show was shit, leading to Fin being quite sour on the BritWres scene. Really cracking listen. And I'm only an hour in.

I've really enjoyed listening to this interview. Particularly these two stories as my best friend was actually present at the former and I remember us talking in the pub about what a fucked up thing to do. 

If I remember rightly one of the things that pissed Andre off about the coverage was when PS made a comment about the height of one of their stars (Titan?) when stood next to Adam Bomb. 

Problem is I really want to hate Fin Martin cos I just think about his total talking bollocks in the mag but in the interview he comes across as a really nice guy.

Edited by The Reverend

My assumption was, and is, that Andre probably felt insecure as he wasn't as far as I am aware as seasoned as the household names from World of Sport etc, or perhaps as good; he just happened to be the guy that opened the floodgates to the idea of opening a training school and advertising it.

I don't know if there was such an open door to the business before Andre set up his school. Before that the only way was probably to hang around at shows etc and show willing by helping with menial tasks etc and then the reward was some training then learning on the job. I say this with someone like James Mason in mind, who presumably started at a young age by ingratiating himself with All Star.

Quite odd actually; he's the one that opened the door to anyone with cash in hand for training, but from what has been said it appears he wanted to maintain the reality with the fans that paid to attend.

Andre must have been really short, as I recally a pic of him holding Fin Martin in a piledriver pose and Fin looked really tall and lanky in comparison to a short stocky Baker.

Re: Fin, even when he wrote stuff I didn't agree with I didn't think "I hate this man now" or dislike him. But he seems to have riled a lot of people - at least on these forums - to the point of hatrid, which is rather sad as I'd guess at one point everyone that was a fan pre internet was totally engrossed in what he had to say.

I'll need to listen to this.

• Paid Members

Does Fin talk about his John Cena obsession at all on this?

Check out the bitterness oozing out of this snippet from a recent article on his psmag site...

...On the September 5 SmackDown, John Cena opened the show with another screaming promo. When Kane and Seth Rollins interrupted, Cena knocked Kane’s fashion sense. Kane was wearing a smart suit. Cena was wearing his latest range of lurid merchandise. As if Cena would be wearing anything else. Next, Cena continued his Career Killer Tour when he said to Rollins: “You, Mr. Plan B, why don’t you kiss my Plan A? The grown-ups are talking. Get on over in the corner and shut up.”  Isn’t Rollins the Money In The Bank contract-holder and, therefore, a wrestler who we’re supposed to believe might capture the WWE World heavyweight title within the next nine-and-a-half months? Why did Cena treat him like an enhancement talent? Oh, yes. Because everyone (except Lesnar last month) is there to enhance Cena. And so Cena could provoke a laugh.

Pissed myself at 'Kane was wearing a smart suit'   :laugh: 

Fin must have considered self-harming when the Rock was cutting promos dismissing main event stars galore 19 years ago, treating everyone like a jabroni and generally putting himself over in his own promo.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the heads up on this, as always.

I really enjoyed it. Alex Shane is alright but he does love the sound of his own voice. They would have got another 20 minutes in if he'd shut up at times. In fairness to him, he did add to it a lot in other places. I don't remember his voice being that soft on the old radio shows. His story of how he became too in the business for forums was tragic though.

Fin was a good listen. As earlier mentioned it's hard to dislike him because it's obvious that he had a business he worked passionately on, ran well and ran ethically. Hearing him speak about things like the Hammerlock ban and the lack of British wrestling coverage made it disappointing that he didn't get challenged on his wanky attitude towards John Cena. Maybe on whatever future project they were referring to.