The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

It's also very guilty of racial stereotyping, though. For assuming that the very pasty Brodus Clay is black purely because he has a dancing gimmick

I did add " ... albeit applying it to a white man" but chickened out just in case it turned out that Brodus is black but came out rather pale.

and for suggesting that "angry black man" and New Nation of Domination are what chocolate-face wrestlers should be doing.

But it doesn't say those things, Pitcos. I read it as "now they've gone down the line of applying this despicable racial stereotyping the positive way out is to have him angrily rail against it. BLAM! Next big heel!" The NOD stuff was giving an example of WWE entering the land of racial stereotyping in the past. Given that there are ready examples such as Saba Simba, Slick, Eddie Guerrero etc it seemed a strange thing to interject, but I get the impression that it was thrown in there purely to get a knock on Rock's supposed special treatment of having an immoral faction created just to help make him money into the future. Not sure what Rock has done to deserve the bile they typically save for Cena and Triple H, but there you go.

So you think sticking up for your rights makes you a bad guy?

Only a topic about Power Slam could get this shit...

• Paid Members
So you think sticking up for your rights makes you a bad guy?

What on earth are you dribbling about?

My whole point is that there's no endorsement of racial stereotyping. That's what I was correcting above, because people are talking as though there's racist stuff in there and it's Fin's fault as editor for not catching it. Santilli was complaining that WWE had foisted a stereotypical role on Brodus based on his supposed ethnicity.

• Paid Members

I'm perfectly clear of articulating myself, thanks. And I wouldn't take lessons on reading comprehension from the mong that replied to a post from six years ago the other day anyway.

Pitcos said it was a negative. I responded that the article doesn't state what he thought it did (so it wasn't a negative) and said how it actually read. You're the one who read into it something that wasn't there.

But it doesn't say those things, Pitcos. I read it as "now they've gone down the line of applying this despicable racial stereotyping the positive way out is to have him angrily rail against it.

...By doing another racial stereotype gimmick. The entire premise of his point is a bit fucked when nobody knows what race Brodus Clay is anyway. If Brodus did come out with a line like "this is what you want a black man to do?" then I think a good portion of viewers would go "since when was he black?"

It's a good thing he was doing the Manor gimmick eleven years ago, otherwise he'd have been proposing Nation of Domination 2000 with oppressed negro Brian Christopher as the leader. DJ Gabriel used to dance with a black girl on ECW a few years back as well, where was Ernie fighting the good fight for the brothermen then? The fucking idiot.

I get the impression that it was thrown in there purely to get a knock on Rock's supposed special treatment of having an immoral faction created just to help make him money into the future. Not sure what Rock has done to deserve the bile they typically save for Cena and Triple H, but there you go.

It's an odd criticism to make anyway, considering the Nation definitely wasn't created to boost Rock's career. Santili's as bad as Fin, really. His ideal gimmick for Brodus' introduction to Raw was the generic monster heel that Snitsky and Mike Knox had such success with. Perhaps such dreadful articles combining the "NO GIMMICKS NEEDED" and "evil Vince is racist and evil" tics are going to be the thing that drags PS out of the shitter. Or perhaps it'll be down to 10 issues next year.

how is he supposed to angrily rail against coming out dancing and having fun, say "they told me to do it for a story line" Unless I am missing something condemning his own gimmick is business exposing on a grand scale, the article sounds ridiculous

Whenever a performer has a gimmick that's fun, there's always some cunt with a Meltzer subscription who wants them to do the "No gimmicks needed, I'm a serious wrestler!" swerve on it.

This rings true now you've said it. I remember people turning spastic when "Eugene" debuted after all. Those same people just needed to chill the fuck out and realise how bland Nick was otherwise (and by all accounts Nick will be the first one to agree with that)