The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Shame about Little Nog being injured. Gustafsson vs Thiago Silva is just as good though so it doesn't really hurt the card.

On the Rampage thing, with him saying his next fight will be his last I've got a strong feeling he'll be fighting Shogun. It's gotta be a big name fight for his farewell and he's always said he wanted that rematch more than any other. Shogun recently said he'd love to do it again aswell. It makes sense to me.

Edgar vs Henderson 2 will be good. I didn't feel it was really that controversial enough to warrant an immediate rematch but I guess with Frankie having to rematch Penn and Maynard straight away they kind of did him this as a bit of a favour. Either way it should be another great fight. By the time that's over with we should have a clear #1 contender aswell which really we don't at the minute so I can kind of see why they did this. Nate Diaz (if he beats Jim Miller) or Anthony Pettis with another win have gotta be the frontrunners.

This just further adds my disliking for Frankie Edgar, for me his rematch with Penn was because he got what many people thought was a dubious decision to win the title and the rematch was to show a clear winner. For the first Maynard fight with it ending as a draw then they really didn't have any option other than to rematch. Whilst Henderson vs Edgar was a good fight for me it was a fight that was CLEARLY won by Henderson, I don't see any way of Edgar winning a rematch either so I really think this whole thing is pointless. Just an example of Dana White's boner for boxers and Edgar moaning to get his own way.

Edgar vs Henderson 2 is the next lightweight fight. Confirmed Edgars twitter.

The first fight is currently my Fight of the Year. Looking forward to the rematch. Surprised in a way Edgar got what he wanted with Dana White wanting him to drop down to Featherweight.

By the time that's over with we should have a clear #1 contender aswell which really we don't at the minute so I can kind of see why they did this. Nate Diaz (if he beats Jim Miller) or Anthony Pettis with another win have gotta be the frontrunners.

Agreed though I don't think Nate Diaz gets passed Jim Miller.

• Paid Members

They kinda shot themselves in the foot by scheduling Miller/Diaz so far down the line. There's no way they can wait for that one, and I guess they believe Pettis needs one more fight. Still I don't agree with Edgar getting a rematch. It wasn't a close decision and you can't go giving out rematches because he had to give a couple himself.

Chael Sonnen apologized to Anderson Silva on the March 6th episode of UFC Tonight...

"Anderson, over the last several months, I've disparaged your name in an attempt to garner respect and attention for my own. That was wrong and I apologize. My actions were unsportsmanlike, they were uncalled for."

Fedor on his next opponent

“I can tell you the timing of my next bout right now,” Fedor said in his interview with Sportbox.ru. “It’s going to be June or July.”

The venue of the match has not been set yet, but, according to the 35-year-old, the match is most likely to take place in the US.

“Of course, I want to compete at home, in front of my countrymen,” the Last Emperor stressed. “But at the moment, the strongest and most respected MMA organization is situated in America. It’s the UFC. Therefore, I have to go to the US in order to face the strongest opponents.”

There is also no certainty about the name of his opponent, with the media reports linking Fedor to possible bouts against American fighters – Cain Velasquez and Josh Barnett.

The Russian confirmed that both options are now being discussed, but added that he would like to avoid taking on Barnett.

“I really sympathize with Josh, and we’ve been friends for a long time,” he said. “Perhaps, he is the only fighter whom I wouldn’t want to meet in the ring.”

Archived