The 2010 UKFF UK50(+) - Results

Big Benny HG

Good wrestlers surely wouldn't be performing in such a shite ring? It looks about 8x8 feet.

I thought Nathan Cruz was pretty good too, shame he's attached to this nonsense of a report.

No, good wrestlers wouldn't generally be performing in such a ring, as they'd have grown beyond that. But, they could. Most of the guys in the top 50 could put on an entertaining match in that ring.

I disagree. Well, they might be able to have an entertaining match, but not good. How can you have a good match in a ring where wherever you are in it you can reach the ropes, and takes less than two normal steps to get across it.

Plus it looks awful, an embarassment for the 15 people in the crowd.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

The rankings of the final 3 of this year's UKFF UK50 will (finally!) be revealed tomorrow night....

Dave Mastiff

Last year ranked 6th. Returned from OVW in the USA with a new name and won the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship in IPW:UK, having epic bouts with Leroy Kincaide, Takeshi Morishima and Johnny Moss. Part of The Agenda lead heel faction in the new FWA.

Martin Stone

Last year ranked 4th. Held the 1PW, PW101 and FWA Heavyweight Titles all at the same time. Year-long feud with Danny Garnell in IPW:UK. Leads The Agenda in FWA.

Spud

Last year ranked 2nd. Uses his old AWW and TXW "Rockstar" gimmick virtually everywhere now. Held the XWA British Heavyweight and Flyweight Championships at the same time, as well as the British Cruiserweight Championship in IPW:UK and the Openweight Title in 1PW. Made a huge impression on the debut new FWA show.

The rankings of the final 3 of this year's UKFF UK50 will (finally!) be revealed tomorrow night....

Dave Mastiff

Last year ranked 6th. Returned from OVW in the USA with a new name and won the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship in IPW:UK, having epic bouts with Leroy Kincaide, Takeshi Morishima and Johnny Moss. Part of The Agenda lead heel faction in the new FWA.

Martin Stone

Last year ranked 4th. Held the 1PW, PW101 and FWA Heavyweight Titles all at the same time. Year-long feud with Danny Garnell in IPW:UK. Leads The Agenda in FWA.

Spud

Last year ranked 2nd. Uses his old AWW and TXW "Rockstar" gimmick virtually everywhere now. Held the XWA British Heavyweight and Flyweight Championships at the same time, as well as the British Cruiserweight Championship in IPW:UK and the Openweight Title in 1PW. Made a huge impression on the debut new FWA show.

Im really looking forward to this. All 3 men deserve the number 1 spot.

• Paid Members

No. 3 - Spud

Score: 531 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 4

2009 ranking: 2nd

2008 ranking: 9th

2007 ranking: 4th

2006 ranking: 4th

2005 ranking: 9th

spud.jpg

Who is he?

Last year's runner-up, Birminham's Spud is the only man to secure a Top 10 ranking in each of the 6 years that the UKFF UK50 has been running. The 2010 year has seen him gradually phase out his old plucky, courageous, firey underdog persona in favour of his cocky, arrogant little prick "Rockstar" heel persona that he had perfected over the years in the Midlands for AWW and Triple-X Wrestling. Indeed, it is "The Rockstar" that has been seen virtually everywhere, including XWA, IPW:UK, AWW, 1PW, AllStar and the new FWA, usually accompanied by his band, "Team Rockstar" (including, at various times, JD Sassoon, Ben Rage, Chris Champion, Stallion, Juggernaut and Alex Cyanide)

Already the reigning XWA British Flyweight Champion, the hated "Rockstar" Spud was also the number one contender for the Morecambe promotion's Heavyweight Title by virtue of his victory in the "Goldrush" rumble earlier in the year. At "Vendetta 2009" in July, Spud made the announcement that he would be taking up his guaranteed shot against reigning champion Sam Slam at the next event, in September. Not done, he spotted retired UK wrestling favourite Stevie Knight sat in the audience and began verbally berating him to the point that Knight snapped and went for him, leading to an immediate match which wound its way all over the Morecambe Dome. As usual, Spud resorted to foul tactics to gain the upper hand, pinning Knight after hitting him low. It wasn't the last the audience would see of Spud, as he wandered back out to ringside during the main event tag match to steal Sam Slam's British Heavyweight Title belt, causing Sam to become distracted and chase his next challenger to the back...... So, at "Last Fight at the Prom" in September, Spud faced Sam in the main event for the Heavyweight gold. A brilliant piece of drama and entertainment, it was here that Team Rockstar was unveiled, as XWA's head of security Stallion turned and took out the referee, allowing debuting Juggernaut to attack Sam. One title belt-shot later and Spud was counted the new XWA British Heavyweight Champion.....

Now a double-weight division champion in XWA, Spud made his first defence of the Heavyweight strap on a rare southern XWA show, held in Sudbury, Suffolk. Rematched with Sam in a 3-way which also included sensationally popular "Psychotic Warrior" Johnny Phere, it was again the interference of Team Rockstar that allowed Spud to retain in the top bout..... 2010 started off with "Goldrush" back in Morecambe, where it was announced that Spud was being forced to vacate his Flyweight Championship due to his Heavyweight commitments. Those commitments included that evening's main event, where Sam Slam was to receive his final rematch for the belt. As XWA fans had come to expect, Spud's lackeys again became involved in procedings as this time it was the monsterous Cyanide who was revealed as the latest recruit to Team Rockstar. Spud again frustrated the Morecambe crowd by coming away with yet another cheap win thanks to Cyanide, who was immediately identified as Spud's personal bodyguard..... Next up was "War on the Shore VI" in April, where a Spud-led Team Rockstar first made their presence felt by beating the crap out of "Heavyweight House of Pain" Stixx, choking him out with his own steel chain. Later that night, Spud made his next defence of his Heavyweight Title against 2010 Goldrush winner Johnny Phere. Just as it looked as though Team Rockstar's interference was again going to cause the ending that XWA fans had seen Spud get away with so many times over the past 2 years, Stixx returned to run them off and leave the champion at the mercy of the super-intense and fired-up Phere. Johnny hit his Ram Slam for the win, bringing "The Rockstar's" title reign to an end.....

In the summer of 2009, Kent-based IPW:UK was just about the only promotion where Spud had not yet moved to the rockstar character, still deploying his courageous babyface persona in his ongoing feud with TNA and Gladiators star Nick "Oblivion/Brutus Magnus" Aldis. The pair wrestled in Swanley and Hertford and it was the playing of Spud's music at "Summer Sizzler 2009" in Sittingbourne which distracted Oblivion, causing him a massive upset loss to Dan Head. The challenge was made for a No-DQ match at the "5th Anniversary Show" in September. A quick-paced, incredibly exciting affair, Spud came at the bigger, strong, more powerful Oblivion from all angles as they battled around the hall, before scoring a hard-fought victory with a sunset-flip-into-a-powerbomb from the top rope..... That victory would be the last time that Spud heard the cheers of the Sittingbourne crowd, as when he returned to IPW:UK in June 2010 for "Unfinished Business", he showed up with a completely different demeanour as "The Rockstar" finally made his way to the promotion. Given an immediate shot at Lion Kid for the British Cruiserweight Title, Spud used every trick in the book to come out with a cheap win and the championship gold in a thoroughly entertaining match. Since then, Spud kept his belt in a rematch over Lion Kid and set up a championship confrontation in the near future with former champ and latest UK Dragon Gate star "Star Attraction" Mark Haskins.....

In up Doncaster for 1PW, Spud danced, hid and fled on his way to an unlikely victory in the multiman mess which was the Annihilator Match at the "4th Anniversary Show" in November. As such, he claimed yet more championship gold in the 1PW Openweight Title.....

What did the UKFF think?

"The sole highlight of an otherwise-dull debut show from the new FWA though, being the new FWA, they completely ruined that by having him ALL OVER the next event there to the point I couldn't care"

"How can you not love this gimmick? I liked underdog Spud alot, but this transformation into the bratty rock star is comic genius"

"Great heel. Maybe the most-over wrestler in the UK"

"He's been incredible everywhere I've seen him. Top notch character and wrestling. Best thing in this country"

"The best gimmick in this country for years, and grown to cult status. A good worker"

"Probably the most entertaining character in British wrestling"

"My list has included a fair amount of guys a few years ago I didn't like. Well, Spud was one of them. I hated his plucky underdog shtick. I hated his gurning sex face selling. But Rockstar Spud..... Damn. Absolutely fantastic character. I absolutely want to see him get the living shit kicked out of him, and unlike a few years ago, everyone else in the audience agrees with me"

"As he's always been, not the best "wrestler", but probably the best wrestler. Amazingly Madonna style reinvention of his character. Never seen crowds react in anticipation as much as they do for him. Funny as well as being comical cowardly"

"Hilarious, with talent"

"Great gimmick, copious amounts of heel heat. His reign as XWA Champion was gold"

"My favourite guy to cheer against no matter who he's facing. The cocky, arrogant, little weasel is by far the best character on the scene right now and does nothing but make me want to hit him when he walks past. Take it he's doing his job then"

"The best heel in the country"

"One of the few guys in the UK who has invested proper time into his character and understands it better than anyone. If more people followed his lead from a character standpoint the British wrestling scene would be a healthier place for it"

"The best wrestling entertainer in the country"

"Entertaining as hell"

"The best gimmick in the United Kingdom today"

"This is almost Austin Aries-level of character redefinition and plays the struggling little guy in matches near perfectly"

"The most hated heel in Britain"

"What can be said about Spud that isn't already said? I wish I were as cool as him"

"What an act! Seriously the guy gets it. That persona is so entertaining and so easy to hate at the same time. He should be on every single All-Star show and come to mention it any show that aims itself at families as it's easily the best gimmick on these shores"

"Works the crowd brilliantly, what a brilliant gimmick. Some brilliant promos but also great matches"

"Probably the best heel out there even though it really is hard not to cheer. A very entertaining persona that feels very fresh and offers some comedy that doesn't actually take away from his significance as a big player on the UK scene"

"Oozes heel charisma from every pore. Hateful bastard (in a good way!). Works the British rockstar gimmick to perfection"

"Despite an injury setback ruling him out for a chunk of 2010 this guy has totally captivated audiences with his Rockstar gimmick over the past 12 months. Once the guy that was derided by audiences due to his size and kid friendly nice guy persona is now booed for all the right reasons as he continues to revel in the comedy heel role....you do get the feeling that the brash, over confident, cocky portrayal is a major extension of Spud

• Paid Members

Ladies and Gentlemen, the 2010 UKFF UK50:

1 Martin Stone 564 points

2 Dave Mastiff 560 points

3 Spud 531 points

4 El Ligero 511 points

5 Zack Sabre Jr 464 points

6 Kris Travis 432 points

7 Johnny Moss 431 points

8 Mark Haskins 407 points

9 Martin Kirby 380 points

10 Joey Hayes 368 points

11 Lionheart 322 points

12 Stixx 295 points

13 Jonny Storm 259 points

14 Bubblegum 256 points

15 Marty Scurll 234 points

16 Darkside 225 points

17 CJ Banks 216 points

18 Joel Redman 188 points

19 Liam Thomson 166 points

20 Cameron Kraze 165 points

21 Leroy Kincaide 159 points

22 Alex Shane 145 points

23 Terry Frazier 144 points

24 RJ Singh 141 points

25 Mad Man Manson 132 points

26 James Mason 130 points

27 Paul Malen 128 points

28 Kid Fite 125 points

29 BT Gunn 122 points

30 Sha Samuels 120 points

31 T-Bone 109 points (beats Coffie on more 1st place votes, 1 vs. 0)

32 Derice Coffie 109 points

33 Mikey Whiplash 105 points

34 Scott Renwick 103 points

35 Sam Bailey 98 points

36 Robbie Dynamite 96 points

37 Val Kabious 94 points

38 Nathan Cruz 93 points

39 Danny Hope 92 points (beats Myatt on more 4th place votes, 1 vs. 0)

40 Keith Myatt 92 points

41 Danny Garnell 90 points

42 Damien O'Connor 85 points

43 Noam Dar 76 points

44 JD Knight 70 points

45 Lion Kid 65 points

46 Robbie X 64 points

47 Mohmed Ameen 59 points

48 Red Lightning 50 points

49 Wolfgang 41 points

50 Joseph Conners 39 points

SHIT LIST

1st Gilligan Gordon

2nd Ronin

3rd Mikey Riot

4th Johnny "The Body" Rose

=5th "Highlander" Colin McKay

=5th Sean Midnight

=7th Brad Flash

=7th Chris Hart

=7th "100%" Dan Edge

=7th Dragonian

=7th Flyin' Ryan

=7th Rainz

=13th Cage Tyler

=13th Dave Rayne

=13th Joey Starr

=13th Love Mussell Russell

=13th Mad Dog Maxx

=13th Peter Staniforth

=13th Surf Grafitti

=13th Shane Spiral

Thanks for your patience in bearing with me with this, it's been hard work trying to find the time to get it finished this year for various reasons. Hope you've enjoyed it, and I look forward to seeing your nominations, votes and comments next year!

I for one have enjoyed it Benny, both the good and the bad, its been good to learn about some UK guys and great to hear my thoughts on others echoed by folk who know more about the UK scene than me. I decided not to vote as I didnt know enough outside the north east but have really enjoyed reading the placings, the write ups and the comments, got to go gold in my opinion as others said in the gold thread

thanks Benny and well done

• Paid Members

I'm happy to think that although I stopped being able to make it to UK shows regularly in 2009, and now obviously can't do it at all, I saw Stone from the time he was a non-wrestling Alex Shane enforcer, right through to him being a truly exceptional all rounder. All this from a guy whom I had to ask for his name in 2003.