Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 1

2009 ranking: not listed

2008 ranking: not listed

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

danny_garnell_large.jpg

Who is he?

A product of Dropkixx, "Dangerous" Danny Garnell was known previously an almost exclusive performer for LDN and associates, though the last 12 months has seen him split from that organisation and appear for others. Though he has come close to cracking the list a couple of times previously, he makes his first ever UKFF UK50 appearance in 2010 as one of a whole host of new entrants.... Appearing unannounced at IPW:UK's 5th Anniversary Show, Garnell invaed the ring after Martin Stone's victory in a 4-man gauntlet series and made it clear that his intentions were to come after the IPW:UK figurehead, attacking him in the ring, beating him down and then uttering a line something like "People call you 'The Guv'nor', but I just think you're a prick". When The Kartel (Terry Frazier and Sha Samuels) ran down for the save, Garnell was joined by Mikey Whiplash and Robbie Dynamite, the 3 outsiders making a stand against the promotion's top established stars..... Garnell's first official match in IPW:UK came at "Brawl at the Hall" in the same venue 2 months later, as "The Invaders" faced "The Firm" in the annual feature eliminaion tag bout. With both his partners already eliminated and left having to face both Stone and Frazier alone, Garnell chose to walk out and take the countout loss before Stone could get his hands on him. An angered Stone issued the challenge for a singles bout for the next Sittingbourne show.....

Following a strong showing in a battle royal in Swanley to close 2009, Garnell opened 2010 with victories over T-Bone and Dan Head, and again clashed unofficially with Martin Stone when Danny's distraction caused Stone to lose to Dave Mastiff at the February show at Chatham's Tap n' Tin club (more adult, hardcore shows). Just 3 days later, the long-awaited singles grudge match between the two took place at No Escape 2010 back at Sittingbourne, but failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion when Garnell blatently struck "The Guv'nor" with a large metal hook, causing the DQ. Unsurprisingly, considering the previous countout and DQ decisions had prevented a clear conclusion, a no-countout, no-DQ rematch was immediately announced for the Sittingbourne Spectacular in April..... Prior to his next collision with Stone, Garnell was granted a shot at new Undisputed British Heavyweight Champion Dave Mastiff in Swanley, with a similar result as Danny was disqualified for use of a foreign object. Then, at the Spectacular, Garnell again outsmarted Stone as the no-DQ stipulation Stone had been baited into meant that Garnell was able to call on the assistance of fellow ex-LDN wrestlers Chris Wyld and Yorghos Christopolous, whose interference handed Garnell an easy victory. With a final, decisive match between Stone and Garnell scheduled for IPW:UK's 6th Anniversary Show, Martin beat Wyld and Yorghos in a handicap match in June, which granted him the ability to name the stipulation. Accordingly, the brilliantly-booked, year-long feud between the Danny Garnell and Martin Stone just came to an end in August as Stone finally beat Garnell within the confines of a steel cage.....

Elsewhere, Garnell has continued to be a fixture for the Ravenhill Promotion's Welsh Wrestling shows and Dropkixx, and appeared for the Adrenaline Pro Wrestling FWA feeder concept in Nottingham, where he beat old Dropkixx and LDN rival Yorghos.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Shamefully ignored by the internet during his LDN days, hopefully now will get the recognition he deserves now he does IPW:UK. Amazing in the ring, looks hard, gets the crowd hating him. Suited perfectly to gimmick matches - cage, ladder etc"

"Drastically underated veteran"

"Anyone that comes up with the line "Some people think your the Guvnor but i just think your a prick" is awesome. He winds the Sittingbourne crowd up as well as anyone and he can back it up in the ring too. Can't have been easy for him to leave his comfort zone in LDN where he was getting loads and loads of bookings to come and show his stuff elsewhere but he's done it and finally getting the recognition he deserves. Personally, I thought it was a disgrace for the FWA to book him on the trainee show too"

"Someone who has been totally off my radar until IPW:UK this year but in his short time there he has really impressed. Despite my initial impression he actually seems to have a fair bit of personality and is more than capable of delivering with Stone, in the ring and on the mic. I'll be intrigued to see how he gets on once their feud is over"

"Hard-working, technically sound student of the game who has spread his wings in the last 12 months and reaped the rewards. Opening matches with Hakan and Travis have stood out on many an LDN show. Worked four matches in two days for Welsh Wrestling in the spring, on either side of the country. Garnell held his own against James Mason, and pinned Joel Redman, yet his bout with Welsh up and comer Dafydd Rhys arguably best showcased his natural character and ability to lead and control a bout"

"Disappointing that it took IPW:UK exposure for Garnell to make his way on to the list, as this guy has been a quality wrestler for years"

"Danny should of been in this for the past 3-4 years straight because he is what Martin Stone tries to be.. A LEGIT HARD MAN and a great wrestler to boot, such a shame Stone is not either of those"

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Danny Garnell not start out on Hammerlock shows?? I'm sure i saw a guy of that name on a few shows in Hertford years ago (like, 7 or 8 years ago).

Might be a different bloke and I'm mixing names up. He was young when I saw him, looked to be still in the 'trainee' stage.

??

Edited by Dirty Eddie

• Paid Members

Yeah, he did. He was already one of their major stars when I started touring with them back in 2002. Amazing talent. One of my first wrestling memories was him complimenting me on my new gear before throwing me in the corner and chopping the ever-loving shit out of me. Good times.

He did work regularly for Hammerlock back in the day, yes.

Ah, thankyou.

I'd assumed it was him (not having seen him for years). He was a bland looking but technically pretty damn solid rookie back then, sporting the 'Regal' maroon colours I believe. Glad to see him do well for himself.

Garnell's a really good talent. I wish people would stop getting pissy about people who work for touring companies not getting into this list though, it's turning into science fiction fans complaining about the lack of literary recognition - you have a point, but it's a point people have always complained about, it's not going to change, and the people you think you're championing don't care.

• Paid Members

No. 40 - Keith Myatt

Score: 92 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 0

2009 ranking: not listed

2008 ranking: not listed

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

myatt.jpg

Photo - Timothy Young: r-t-c.co.uk

Who is he?

Grizzled veteran of British rings who, at 51 years old and over 20 years experience, makes his first ever appearance in the UKFF UK50. Making his home in Stoke-on-Trent, Myatt has spent the last 12 months battling across the Midlands and Yorkshire.....

When Steven Gauntley decided to return to the pro wrestling promoting lark, Keith Myatt was involved in the upstart Pro Wrestling 101 organisation from the start, where he was immediately thrust into a feud with "Money Makin'" Mo Montana (Mohmed Ameen's alternate persona) and Sykes on the first two events in Edlington. For November's afternoon event in Doncaster, Myatt engaged in a vicious and bloody hardcore Last Man Standing match with Sykes to settle their score. They brawled all over the building, fought through run-ins from Montana's faction and Keith's son Ryan and even used fire as they fought to a double-KO draw..... With nothing sorted between the pair, they were matched up again on PW101's next show, which wasn't until March 2010, in Sheffield. On the afternoon event, however, Keith found himself in an unscheduled match with Montana over the rights to name the stipulation for the Myatt vs. Sykes match that night. Again, Keith's son Ryan Myatt ran in, but his interference seemingly back-fired, leading to Montana picking up the win and choosing an "I Quit" match for that evening. In the bout, Myatt and Sykes went to war once again, with Ryan and Montana becoming involved yet again. When Ryan ended up caught and being threatened by Sykes, Keith chose to quit and accept the loss to save his son. Predictably, "it was a set up all along", and Ryan turned on his father immediately after the match to join Mo and Sykes. The Jeremy Kyle-esque storyline was set to continue, but PW101 shut up shop and so that was that.....

Over in 1PW, Myatt formed an extreme tag team with Ruffneck to wage war with Montana's alter-ego Mohmed Ameen's faction, the Prophets of Liberty. In Ellesmere Port in May, Myatt and Ruffneck beat PoL members Samuel Bailey and D-Rok, though the score was evened the very next night in Liverpool with Bailey, D-Rok, Val Kabious and Leroy Kincaide besting Myatt, R'neck, Mad Man Manson and T-Bone in another wild and crazy brawl. The hardcore violence was set to continue, but 1PW shut up shop and so that was that.....

In West Yorkshire, Keith and Ryan Myatt won a couple of bouts over the Baywatch lifeguard team of Sam Bailey and Nathan Cruz for DPW, but lost to El Ligero in SSW. He continues to be booked for promotions such as BHW and WILD, and looks like he may have several years left in him yet.....

What did the UKFF think?

"A veteran who could have a good old school match with a broom"

"His matches with Sykes in Pro Wrestling 101 were great"

"One of the old(er) hands of the British wrestling scene, but he's still putting on good matches and, to me at least, doesn't seem to be someone who is determined to stay near the top and is happy helping out younger guys lower down the card"

"This veteran is still giving back, now in his 50s Keith can still pull out a great match"

"Keith being a fringe inclusion is criminal, but I cannot say I am surprised. There are a number of others who, like Keith, should be no-brainers for a list of the top 50 wrestlers in the country, but have been overlooked in favour of kids who are yet to prove their longevity. Myatt has years of experience, but unlike many veterans also has a good understanding of the expectations of a modern audience. Keith has kept up with the times and adapted his performances to remain relevant in 2010, and helpful to the new generation with a humble attitude and a willingness to help others"

"He may be approaching Ric Flair territory but, from what I've seen of him, he makes it about his opponents, puts people over and isn't a egotist. A pleasure to watch him in 1PW or DPW"

"Has been at it a long time, and still has the passion and love for the business, which is to be highly admired. His matches with Sykes in Pro Wrestling 101 were emotional and heartfelt"

"Whilst not a stand out star, or one who was ever destined for the big time, Keith could show some of the younger wrestlers how to do it! He shows story telling superbly and his matches with Sykes in 101 were thoroughly enjoyable"

Im honestly glad that both Damien O'Connor and Keith Myatt are both on here.

Agreed. I'm surprised I never noticed Myatt wasn't on the list before, and O'Conor has grown a lot since first teaming up with Renwick - his place in the NWA British title tournament is very much deserved for all the work he's put in, which is showing in the ring.

Love the Myatt pic!

I really enjoyed the PW101 Myatt/Sykes storyline, one of the best storylines I have seen in my limited Brit-wres experience and the two had amazing chemistry. The post doesn't even mention the contract signing brawl the night before the PW101 Doncaster show which was excellently handled.

First of all i would like to thank my Mother for the 92 votes to get me in the top 50 lol.

Only kidding a big thanks to everybody who voted and its nice to know that there are still alot of old schoolers out there.

Just to let you know that you guys are the paying customers and me as a wrestler really apreciate the kind words.

Cheers Keith Myatt :cool:

First of all i would like to thank my Mother for the 92 votes to get me in the top 50 lol.

Only kidding a big thanks to everybody who voted and its nice to know that there are still alot of old schoolers out there.

Just to let you know that you guys are the paying customers and me as a wrestler really apreciate the kind words.

Cheers Keith Myatt :cool:

I voted for you 93 times Keith!! ;)

In seriousness, anyone who hasn't seen the "Keith" documentary should do so, truly fantastic watch.