Unforgettable, Iconic Videos/Pictures Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i think i started a thread like this years ago, it's long sunk into the swamp of the UKFF's past but i thought i'd start another one back up cause i like shit like this and some cool stuff usually gets unearthed...

basically just post famous pictures, videos of anything really... it can be anything really, just stuff that you feel that people should see. If you post a picture try and explain a little bit of the history behind it though.

I decided to start this after watching video's of the Tsar Bomb last night on youtube, the biggest nuke ever exploded...

Tsar Bomb

the fact that the bomb was basically halved in power to what was originally meant to be detonated is fucking scary...there's loads more shit about it on youtube if you wanna find out more about it.

Then there's this...

my girlfriend did a fire martial safety thing where she works and they were made to watch this footage, it's the old Bradford Football Stadium fire from 1995. The disaster kind of gets forgotten about, and im pretty sure many football fans wouldn't have heard about (unlike the Hillsborough Disaster), this is a horrible piece of footage, direct from the news covering the tragedy:

1:10-1:30 is fucking creepy, like something out of a movie. 56 people died in the fire.

• Awards Moderator

John Lennon signing an autograph for Mark Chapman, hours before he was murdered by him:

lennon_chapman.jpg

I've pretty much grown up on The Beatles and unashamedly idolise John Lennon, so this photo sends chills down my spine even after seeing it hundreds, if not thousands of times.

--------------------

Nguyen Ngoc Loan shoots Nguyen Van Lem during the Vietnam war:

gun_to_head1241048759.jpg

Just a horrifying photo, which sums up the brutality of war. Never has a photograph been taken at such a disturbing split-second.

--------------------

Are we allowed to have iconic images from movies?

CV-Crop-Duster.jpg

My favourite movie and the most recognisable image from it: Cary Grant evades the crop dusting plane in North by Northwest. Go 'ed Cary!

• Paid Members

38.%20Stricken%20child%20crawling%20towards%20a%20food%20camp%20[1994].jpg

This one has always stuck with me. A vulture stalks a dying child, waiting for him to pass away so it can eat at the corpse. The photographer fell into a depression and committed suicide a few months after taking this photo.

911_jumping_man.jpg

I don't think an explanation is really necessary for this one.

a32_19497533.jpg

"Sixteen-month-old Aubrey Melton reaches for her father, SSG Josh Melton, as she views his body with her mother Larissa before his funeral service on June 27, 2009 in Germantown, Illinois. SSG Melton, who was serving in Afghanistan with the Illinois National Guard, was killed in Kandahar during an IED attack on June."

I've made myself sad now.

Nguyen Ngoc Loan shoots Nguyen Van Lem during the Vietnam war:

gun_to_head1241048759.jpg

Just a horrifying photo, which sums up the brutality of war. Never has a photograph been taken at such a disturbing split-second.

The video footage of that is one of the most disturbing things i've ever seen

The Nurse being kissed by the Sailor picture........ I read an article about that online the other day from www.guardian.co.uk:

A nurse who was photographed being kissed in Times Square in New York to celebrate the end of the second world war in 1945 has died, aged 91.

The iconic VJ Day picture of Edith Shain by Alfred Eisenstaedt was published in Life magazine.

The identity of the nurse in the photograph was not known until the late 1970s when Shain wrote to Eisenstaedt to say that she was the woman in the picture. It was taken on 14 August 1945 when she had been working at Doctor's Hospital in New York.

The identity of the sailor who kissed her remains unresolved.

The photograph made its mark on Shain's life, as her subsequent celebrity led to invitations to war-related events such a wreath layings, parades and other memorial ceremonies.

Her son Justin Decker said in a statement: "My mom was always willing take on new challenges, and caring for the world war 2 veterans energised her to take another chance to make a difference."

Shain, who died at her home in Los Angeles on Sunday, leaves three sons, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

I was 12 when my moment happened here it is, anyone on here whos 30 or over will remember this as readily as myself. It was simply called the Corporal Killings:

David Howes and Derek Wood were driving in a silver Volkswagen Passat car wearing civilian clothes. The O'Bradaigh funeral was making its way along the Andersonstown Road towards Milltown Cemetery when the car containing the two corporals appeared. The car headed straight towards the front of the funeral, which was headed by a number of black taxis. It drove past a Sinn F

• Paid Members

horrifying Speedway crash, the commentators change in tone from excitement/shock, to 'oh my god' is saddening, it's pretty clear that there was no way anyone was surviving that.

Archived