MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fair enough on Fedor vs Nog then. I admit I'm working backwards on that because I wasn't watching in 2003. If I was though, I have to admit I'd have favoured Nog either by catching Fedor in a triangle or armbar from the guard, or by just peppering with punches for the decision, relying on his (at the time) granite chin to see him through.

Then I'd have felt like an idiot when I watched the fight.

If I was to hazard a guess as to why Fedor's people didn't want the Sylvia fight, on the presumption it was a legitimate concern and not just a way to avoid signing with the UFC, I would say it would be because Sylvia's style was to either use his reach and paw opponents to keep them at bay and go for a safe win on points, or to just grab them and hold them against the cage, much like he did to Brandon Vera. It's a concern that makes sense especially because it was a big reason Sylvia was wildly unpopular with the fans; fans knew to expect a dull, dry fight. And if you’re looking to maintain the aura of a fighter as the best in the sport or just looking to get your fighter over, you don’t want a fight that you feel is a lock to be dull and dry because winning it doesn’t get your guy over much if at all, not to mention it doesn’t make him look like a world beater to begin with because he’ll have had trouble with a guy who doesn’t come across as a very good or exciting fighter.

It’s just an educated guess but I can see the claim having merit if that was their genuine thought process because it does make sense based on what the feeling was about Sylvia at the time.

Frank Trigg said he did not like how Fedor matched up with Sylvia, even after Fedor smashed him in 2008

If they fought in a cage, I guess Sylvia could just lie on him, however, Sylvia only started doing that around 2006/2007 time. People forget that before 2006, Sylvia was much more of a brawler than a smotherer, hence why he was defined as a "shitty boxer" on Sherdog forums. The reason why some of his fights were boring before 2007 was because either him or his opponent were tentative. The 3rd Arlovski fight, and his fight with Monson, were so dull, you could not even find them amusing.

The fight where Sylvia shit his pants was not up to much either.

Fedor should have smashed him at any stage, but there was always a risk there given Sylvia's size and reach. So I know what you mean

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...

Just subscribed to Fight Pass and over the past few days I have been watching TUF - 5. This may be my favourite season of the show, there are so many stand out moments from the show and every episode is good. Never really knew about Jens Pulver until watching it but what a man, seems a great guy and coach!

Can anyone recommend me any UFC events before 2011 to watch on Fight Pass?

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend me any UFC events before 2011 to watch on Fight Pass?

If you haven't seen them - the stretch of UFC 115, 116, 117 is well worth your time. Liddell vs Franklin, Cro Cop vs Barry, Condit vs MacDonald, Lesnar vs Carwin, Leben vs Akiyama, Bonnar vs Soszynski 2, Silva vs Sonnen 1, JDS vs Nelson. All that shit is on those three shows. It has something for everyone. Pure fight quality, big fight atmosphere, the lot. Really good shows. Just skip Rothwell vs Yvel on 115 and you'll be good.

Few others;

I assume you've seen UFC 100. If not, that. Lesnar vs Mir 2, GSP vs Alves, Hendo vs Bisping, Jon Jones on the prelims, the Coleman vs Bonnar feel-good moment, the Miller vs Danzig bloody war. One of the best shows the UFC has ever done.

UFC 91 is right up there for me as well. If you look at the card on paper it's kind of a one fight show. But it turned out to be a hell of a show. Pretty much every fight was great. Then you had the Couture vs Lesnar main event.

Going back UFC 52 was really good with Couture vs Liddell 2, Hughes vs Trigg 2 and GSP vs Mayhem. UFC 47 is awesome and almost every fight ends in a finish. You've got Liddell vs Ortiz 1, Diaz vs Lawler, Arlovski vs Cabbage.

Get watching some WEC as well (53, 50, 48 spring to mind as particularly worth going out of your way to see). And whack on Strikeforce: Evolution just to see Melendez vs Thomson 2. And stick around for Cung Le vs Scott Smith.

Can't forget Pride either. I don't know if they're all on Fight Pass but if they are then Shockwave 2004 is one of the most ridiculously stacked cards they ever did. Fedor, Nog, Wanderlei, Anderson, Hunt, Gomi, Hendo are all on there and the fights deliver. Bushido 9 might be the best card they ever did as far as delivering fantastic fights go. And Pride 33 with Wanderlei vs Hendo 2 and Diaz vs Gomi isn't far behind. The 2003 and 2005 GPs are great as well. Shogun vs Little Nog from the 2005 one is the best fight in Pride history IMO.

I'm missing out loads but I'd be here all night. That lot should keep you occupied for a good while though.

Edited by wandshogun09

Wand stole all of my faves

Other than the 2006 Pride Openweight GP. The finale is one of my favorite MMA events ever.

I would also recommend the best of Franky Shams comeback tour if it on there. Frank's fights with Baroni and Cung Le, showcase MMA at it's best from a spectacle perspective, and deliver enough inside the cage to be the complete package.

The Affliction shows are worth a look as well.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I'm still trying to get my hands on some WEC, especially Henderson/Cerrone. Loads of guys on here were kind enough to send me links, but it seems there weren't enough seeds or peers - whenever I clicked to download, nothing would happen at all.

I always forget about WEC. But it was a fine promotion in 2008-2010

WEC was firmly 3rd in the pecking order of my MMA priority during that time (UFC and Strikeforce were 1 and 2), but it was very much worth watching. I felt more of a need to keep up with it than I do with Bellator today.

I would say its commercial pomp was Faber vs Pulver. It scored a very strong rating, and the countdown show was excellent. It underlined Faber as the biggest star in the promotion's history.  From a critical standpoint. Pettis vs Bendo 1 was a stonker which stands out to me. But WEC had plenty of cracking fights, with the likes of Cerrone, Varner and Bendo. 

When you consider that Aldo, Pettis, Cerrone, Faber, Condit, Bendo, Barao and others made their names in the WEC, it speaks volumes of the promotion's relevance. 

Cheers for all your recommendations. 've watched some Strikeforce, Diaz vs Daley first time watching this in a while I forgot how crazy it was. Will be looking at classic UFC and WEC, started watching TUF:Smashes which is really good so far. I would recommend Fight Pass to anyone, there is so much content on there to watch.

I don't think I ever saw a WEC card that I didn't enjoy and that was from starting to follow them when Zuffa took over which I think was around WEC 28.  So many great fights, and the success that the likes of Condit, Henderson, Cerrone, Aldo, Faber and Pettis have had shows it was not a 'second tier' bunch of fighters that couldn't compete in the UFC which is what people seemed to think.  You genuinely can't go wrong with any of their shows, but stand out stuff is:

WEC 32: Antonio Banuelos vs Many Tapia

WEC 33: Richard Crunkilton vs Sergio Gomez, Doug Marshall vs Brian Stann

WEC 34: Miguel Angel Torres vs Yoshihiro Maeda, Urijah Faber vs Jens Pulver

WEC 35: Carlos Condit vs Hiromitsu Miura

WEC 36: Jake Rosholt vs Nissen Osterneck

WEC 38: Danillo Villefort vs Mike Campbell, Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone

WEC 40: Miguel Angel Torres vs Takeya Mizugaki

WEC 41: Antonio Banuelos vs Scott Jorgensen, Mike Brown vs Urijah Faber II

WEC 42: Joseph Benavidez vs Dominick Cruz

WEC 43: Damacio Page vs Will Campuzano, Richard Crunkilton vs Dave Jansen, Donald Cerrone vs Benson Henderson

WEC 44: Shane Roller vs Dany Castillo, Rob McCullough vs Karen Darabedyan, Mike Brown vs Jose Aldo

WEC 45: Donald Cerrone vs Ed Ratcliffe

WEC 48: Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung, Antonio Banuelos vs Scott Jorgensen II, Brad Pickett vs Demetrious Johnson

WEC 49: Eddie Wineland vs Will Campuzano, Mark Hominick vs Yves Jabouin

WEC 50: Scott Jorgensen vs Brad Pickett, Shane Roller vs Anthony Pettis, Dominick Cruz vs Joseph Benavidez

WEC 51: Leonard Garcia vs Mark Hominick, Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone

WEC 52: Cub Swanson vs Mackens Semerzier

WEC 53: Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis