General politics discussion thread

David

Has anyone else seen this?  

To all the cynics who are dying to pollute political debate; and consequentially further alienating many from having political interest, by suggesting Mhari Black is merely receipting words written for her there is only one reply. 

If that were the case then she would be an even better actor than those who feign sympathy whist sitting on the Government benches.

I don't think your link works. It was a well written speech. A shame that there appeared to be even less Labour MPs (whom it was aimed at) than there were Government MPs in attendance to listen to it.

• Paid Members

Krishnan Guru-Murthy has really gone full-blown wannabe-Paxman, hasn't he? I was quite pleased to see Corbyn tell him off, although it did seem like KGM might have gotten the rise out of him he was so clearly aiming for. But the rest of it, Corbyn comes across very well, with measured, reasonable responses and confident manner. If he's elected Labour leader, I might, MIGHT, consider voting for them again - but only if he really is going to do as he says and offer a real, distinctive alternative to the Tories, and not the "Red Tory" option that Miliband did.

• Paid Members

Guys like Chuka Umunna piss me off. He was on Question Time the other week and he kept talking about being electable. And then today he's criticising Corbyn as not being the guy to make Labour electable. And it's just like, fuck being electable for right now. There's a reason you did so badly at the election. It's because the party doesn't seem to stand for anything anymore. All those not New Labour but basically New Labour MPs are just so concerned with getting back into power they've forgotten that they need to show the electorate that they stand for something more than simply being in power and being a little bit less cunty than the Tories. If Corbyn becomes leader and he takes the party super left and they do badly in 2020, that sucks, but at least you fucking stood for something.

• Moderators

Krishanan Guru Murthy is and has always been a fucking dickhead. He's all about wanting to make a name for himself and be seen as a personality. He'd fit right in on sky news.

Corbyn handled himself really well here.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Guys like Chuka Umunna piss me off. He was on Question Time the other week and he kept talking about being electable. And then today he's criticising Corbyn as not being the guy to make Labour electable. And it's just like, fuck being electable for right now. There's a reason you did so badly at the election. It's because the party doesn't seem to stand for anything anymore. All those not New Labour but basically New Labour MPs are just so concerned with getting back into power they've forgotten that they need to show the electorate that they stand for something more than simply being in power and being a little bit less cunty than the Tories. If Corbyn becomes leader and he takes the party super left and they do badly in 2020, that sucks, but at least you fucking stood for something.

Agreed. I wish Umunna would just fuck off and cross the floor already. He's as Blairite as you're ever going to get - the prick even refers to himself as being "Blue Labour", for fuck's sake. He's just a male Louise Mensch in the closet.

Krishanan Guru Murthy is and has always been a fucking dickhead. He's all about wanting to make a name for himself and be seen as a personality. He'd fit right in on sky news.

Corbyn handled himself really well here.

It's weird, I never really noticed any of that behaviour in him until after Paxman retired. Guess maybe Paxman just made him look mild in comparison, and now he seems worse without anyone to cover his dickheadedness.

Didn't Umunna drop out of the leadership race after only a few days because he couldn't handle the attention? Useless twat.

Just imagine how bad the scum sheets will be if Corbyn wins. They were bad enough with "Red" Ed so I shudder at the front pages if someone that is really left wing is in charge of Labour.

Hopefully his first act would be kicking the Blairites cunts to the curb. The party is in desperate need of purging and has been for some time.

• Paid Members

You've got to love the irony coming from Labour at the minute, all this "we need to be electable" rhetoric whilst almost every high-profile Labour MP is doing everything they can to derail Corbyn's soaring popularity. I still don't see him winning the leadership but I think he'd do well in winning back a lot of the Scottish, Northern England and London voters who jumped ship in May.  

Umunna is such an insufferable cunt but a very cunning one at that, there's no way he pulled out of the leadership race because of heightened media scrutiny that was always a given and he must have been well aware of that. I reckon he knows they have very little chance of being winning in 2020 so withdrew to watch someone else fall on their sword and will swoop in to save the day in 2020. He knows he has time one his side and so he's happy to play the waiting game, knowing he'll be at the top table in the meantime.

For what it's worth, I like Chuka Umunna. Don't agree with all of what he does, says or thinks, but I like the way he comes across and I like the way he articulates himself. This is his biggest asset.

I think it's a tad unfair for people criticising him for dropping out of the leadership race because he didn't realise the amount of pressure and media attention. It's one thing to think you know what you're getting in to, and actually experiencing it first hand. Clearly he thought that his family would suffer which is fine.

He reminds me a lot of David Lammy, who was once deigned as being a future Labour leader, and has turned out to be a very good MP and a community leader, but will never make it as leader.

I'm torn as to who the leader should be. Think it does need a drastic shift to make a difference.

Echo the disdain for KGM, and I have always hated Paxman.

• Paid Members

Didn't Umunna drop out of the leadership race after only a few days because he couldn't handle the attention? Useless twat.

Just imagine how bad the scum sheets will be if Corbyn wins. They were bad enough with "Red" Ed so I shudder at the front pages if someone that is really left wing is in charge of Labour.

Hopefully his first act would be kicking the Blairites cunts to the curb. The party is in desperate need of purging and has been for some time.

They're pretty bad already. There was an article in the Telegraph encouraging people to vote for him as Labour leader to "destroy the Party from within", which is just mental journalism. He's shrugged it off, smartly, but you just know it'll be used to attack his credibility if he wins.

It's depressing just how blind Labour are at the moment. Like SpursRiot said above, there's far too much focus on getting elected and not enough on what they'd actually do in power. They need a substantial return to their roots or they'll just keep bleeding support to smaller Parties. There is a desperate need for a proper alternative to the Tories and, if it isn't going to be Labour then someone else will step up and fill the void. There's a good chance that Labour are going to end up like the Liberals and, again, they can't even see it.

• Paid Members

I've never liked David Lammy. He's my MP, and I think he's a worthless dickhead career politician.

And yes, Labour need to get back to their roots if they even want to have some chance of getting elected. Moving back left is the best move - the success of the SNP clearly demonstrates this. They put out a clear, unwavering anti-austerity message with conviction and passion, and never once did they back down to the fear-mongering or the pot-shots chucked at them. In short, they showed they had principles and a backbone. Even if you don't agree with them, this made them opponents to be respected.

Labour, on the other hand, were so scared of their own shadow because of how much political capital the right in this country had made of their fuck-up in government, they bottled it on everything they were supposed to be doing to compensate for the Tories' approach, and the best they could do was come up with ill-considered, grand-standing stunt policies like the Mansion Tax.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I've never liked David Lammy. He's my MP, and I think he's a worthless dickhead career politician.

Agreed. He came across like a right opportunistic knob during the 2011 riots, he even claimed that he had predicted them! Now he's trying to use his "past glory" to get him on the London Mayoral ticket.

• Paid Members

Labour abstain on the Welfare bill, with 48 defying the whip and a shit load of handwringing from the rest. Andy Burnham's statement after it was absolutely skincrawling. Essentially, he loathes the bill with every fibre of his being and he will fight it passionately but he, erm, "didn't want to split the Party" or something.

It probably sounds insane right now but I can see the SNP fielding candidates in England in 2020. The Scotland Bill showed that Scottish MPs alone are unable to truly protect our interests and there is, apparently, growing support for us in England, including people with no connection to Scotland joining the Party. It was supposedly appeals by English people that led to the decision to vote against the Fox Hunting bill. If Corbyn loses out in the Labour Leadership election (and there are rumours that MPs are planning to oust him even if he is elected) then their position as the Opposition is going to be untenable.

Ironically, that'll piss off a lot of the SNP's core support but, still, I think it's a decision that could become necessary if Labour don't sort themselves out.

And yes, Labour need to get back to their roots if they even want to have some chance of getting elected. Moving back left is the best move - the success of the SNP clearly demonstrates this. They put out a clear, unwavering anti-austerity message with conviction and passion, and never once did they back down to the fear-mongering or the pot-shots chucked at them. In short, they showed they had principles and a backbone. Even if you don't agree with them, this made them opponents to be respected.

That's not really what voters who abandoned Labour at the last election are saying though.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/18/labour-party-voters-desertion-election?CMP=share_btn_tw