General politics discussion thread

David

When questioned it soon becomes clear he's paying tribute to some of the posters on this board and their style of argument.

:laugh: Monbiot was desperate to destroy that guy before he was cut off.

On the monarchy secession, it just highlights how daft the whole thing is. Favouring a first born child is just as arbitrary and ridiculous as favouring a male child.

An interesting read, and some sobering facts about us "all being in this together".

Pay for the directors of the UK's top businesses rose 50% over the past year, a pay research company has said.

Incomes Data Services (IDS) said this took the average pay for a director of a FTSE 100 company to just short of

Anyone read this?

Ministers have been forced to seek permission from Prince Charles to pass at least a dozen government bills, according to a Guardian investigation into a secretive constitutional loophole that gives him the right to veto legislation that might affect his private interests.

Since 2005, ministers from six departments have sought the Prince of Wales' consent to draft bills on everything from road safety to gambling and the London Olympics, in an arrangement described by constitutional lawyers as a royal "nuclear deterrent" over public policy. Unlike royal assent to bills, which is exercised by the Queen as a matter of constitutional law, the prince's power applies when a new bill might affect his own interests, in particular the Duchy of Cornwall, a private

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here got involved with the Occupy movement in their city/town? I popped down to Bournemouth Town Hall to show my support last Wednesday. Good atmosphere, chatting to them about why they are doing it. It pissed down with rain though, brave people.

Edited by Dynamite Duane

The home secretary, Theresa May, has ordered Muslims Against Crusades, an Islamist group which is planning to disrupt Friday's Armistice Day ceremonies, be banned from midnight.

The organisation, which burned two large poppies near the Royal Albert Hall in London on Remembrance Day during the minute's silence last year, is a renamed successor to the already banned Islam4UK and other proscribed organisations. Anjem Choudary is a leading figure in both groups.

The immediate ban is part of the government's new drive to proscribe organisations that glorify terrorism in addition to those having direct links to terrorist groups.

The ban will make membership of Muslims Against Crusades a criminal offence.

May said: "I am satisfied Muslims Against Crusades is simply another name for an organisation already proscribed under a number of names including Al Ghurabaa, The Saved Sect, Al-Muhajiroun and Islam4UK. The organisation was proscribed in 2006 for glorifying terrorism and we are clear it should not be able to continue these activities by simply changing its name."

A parliamentary order was laid at Westminster on Thursday morning implementing the ban.

The group has often clashed with the English Defence League since it was set up last year. It has staged a pro-Bin Laden rally outside the US embassy. On the anniversary of 9/11 its members burned US flags and chanted through megaphones outside the embassy, disrupting a minute's silence by mourners at the nearby September 11 memorial garden.

A statement on the group's website said this year's Armistice Day would be marked by "a total lack of silence" by the Muslim community in Britain to highlight the continuing "atrocities" in Iraq and Afghanistan and the "brutal torture concentration camps of Guant

I've never really understood why these extreme Muslims live in the UK if they hate it so much.

Because they were born here?

No ones forcing them to stay

No-one's forcing the edl, the left wing, the bnp, or anyone else who lives here to live here. But if you're born somewhere that's your home, it's where you live, and you'll want it run the way you think it should be run.

Not to say they're not a bunch of mentalists, but if you're born here, you'll live here for the most part. Not hard to understand.

Those who shall not be named have decided that, as they can't kick off with the mac anymore, they're gonna go beat up the occupy london movement tomorrow instead. https://www.facebook.com/#!/EDL.English...285213894846469

Which is nice.

I like the socialtits best, shame when they're all hidden away.

I've never really understood why these extreme Muslims live in the UK if they hate it so much.

Perhaps they are pissed off at seeing what's happening back in their mother-lands? The post 9/11 wars help fan the fire of extremism.

Edited by Dynamite Duane

Anyone on here got involved with the Occupy movement in their city/town? I popped down to Bournemouth Town Hall to show my support last Wednesday. Good atmosphere, chatting to them about why they are doing it. It pissed down with rain though, brave people.

Nothing about here. It's a shame that more haven't turned out to those towns that have Occupy in place... but then, Strictly Come Dancing is on this weekend y'know.

The world has played this game now for nearly 300 years. It's got to stop one day. :(