Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

33. The Secret of Monkey Island

Metacritic score: N/A

The critics say:
“The Secret of Monkey Island is an excellent game in all aspects. It has a clever storyline, great character design, funny dialogues, good graphics, and beautiful music”
-AdventureClassicGaming

“Monkey Island is a bold statement of intent from Lucasfilm, showing where they believe computer gaming should be heading. After scouring their land of pirates you may well be inclined to agree. It's funny, testing and far deeper than Loom. Monkey Island can completed, but will take far longer. if you've time for anything slower than a shoot-em-up, or you fancy trying your hand at an adventure but sicken at the thought of Orcs and Ogres, give it a bash.”
-Amiga Format

UKFFers say:
“The first game to ever make me laugh out loud.”
“the single funniest game ever. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’ve played some funny games in my time (Sam and Max, Leisure Suit Larry, Discworld) but this was the first game to reduce me to a gibbering wreck, sliding off my dining room chair (I didn’t have any decent seating for my desk at the time) and happily collapsed on the floor; the particle board making a beech coloured roof for my proverbial padded cell under the counter. It was the small things which always amused me most – the little comments by the supporting cast, and the animation when you finally achieved a goal (cannon fire, anyone?). A seriously challenging game, like a lot of games on my list, the hours I spent thinking about it was probably treble the hours I actually spent playing it. However, there was nothing like suddenly realising a connection between two objects in the middle of a Maths lesson, bearing in mind that Mr Black, as hard as he was, was also playing through at the time.”

Black2 says:
I have fond, fond memories of this. LucasFilm (LucasWare?) made the astonishing leap for the point ‘n’ click genre, by introducing the novel concept that you cannot die. It doesn’t sound like much but it allows you to keep trying things to reach the solution without fear of penalty (apart from that one nasty moment where it plays the Leisure Suit Larry death music…). I persuaded a friend to play it after borrowing a copy, but after about half an hour we realised he didn’t have an unformatted disc to save his game on (don’t ask, kids) so we just played the whole thing from beginning to end in one day. It’s brilliant, and it’s Wii etc. remake can’t come soon enough.
I write about food quite often. You can find BigSpud here
Posted Image

#62 Onyx2

Onyx2

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

32. World of Warcraft (PC)

Metacritic score: 93

The critics say:
“It takes the essence of the MMO experience, breaks it down into its component parts, and plays up all the fun elements while actively minimizing the boring or tedious aspects. World of Warcraft is the MMO that nearly everybody can enjoy, and is a shining example of the game developer's art.”
-GameSpy
“The MMO we've all been waiting for. It does not blow away the genre, but it does hone it to near-perfection. I think the biggest problem you'll have is managing to play it in moderation.”
-IGN

UKFFers say:
“By far, the biggest stealer of my personal man-hours. A game so epic, its enormity can only be understood by playing.. It's got it's own economy, for fucks sake. The human factor produces so many amazing one-off moments that you'd never get in any other game, and 90% of my great moments as a gamer have come from stuff that's happened in WoW.”
“It's got 11 million subscribers and 23 million chinese goldsellers. One of the biggest games ever and compared to every other MMO it's so slick and well put together that most of them are happy bunnies. Just so well done.”
“Through the 4 years of this game being released, it has changed a lot, new content is added all the while. This game is undisputed in its claim as most the sucessfull MMORPG to ever be released and for good reason. The addictive nature of it, the very stylish slightly cartoony graphics create an immersive world and the gameplay, for an MMO is very good. It has something for everyone, the casual player and the more hardcore. This game really changed the MMORPG genre. It dropped from the number 1 position i would have given it in the last year due to the most recent expansion but it is still up there as a fantastic game.”

Black 2 says:
I delved into Azeroth for about three months and experienced a fair chunk of what it has to offer. I can certainly see the appeal but the variety of quests really lets it down. “Fetch me 12 badger pelts” gets a bit tedious after a while. There is an incredible world in there, utterly free-flowing and beautifully designed, I only wish what was done with it was slightly more gripping.

Posted Image

#63 Nexus

Nexus

Curtain Jerker

• Paid Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yay, my Number 2 and quote \0/

Although, the picture at the bottom of FF8 is actually from either FF7 or Dirge of Cerberus, as it shows Vincent Valentine. Minor point, but tongue.gif

Thanks for doing this biggrin.gif

#64 Onyx2

Onyx2

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

31. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

Metacritic score: 89

The critics say:
“Some really sick stuff. The imagery and grotesque design of the enemies is disturbing, and the grainy film stock adds an element of brutal realism to an already upsetting game. Needless to say, we loved it...Not only disturbing and scary, it’s actually a lot of fun.”
-Hot Games

“Amid its many puzzles, creepy scares and flurries of combat, Silent Hill 2 has moments that are so human and painful--forget about “horror” for the moment--that they elevate the experience from a mere “videogame” to a jarring, unsettling look at pain, loss, despair and dread.”
-Electric Playground

“If "Resident Evil" was likened to "Night of the Living Dead," then think of Silent Hill 2 as "Twin Peaks," minus the damn fine coffee, but plus the atmospheric gloom and cast of insane deviants, with the entire mixture then taken out back into the woods, shot, hacked into small chunks, and buried.”
-GameSpy

UKFFers say:
“Survival horror sits just behind beat'emups as my favourite gaming genre, and this is right up there with the best. It's better than Project Zero, better than Siren, better than any of the Resi games from when they were still survival horror. It's just amazing. One of the few games that truly delivers a cinematic experience and is genuinely quite disturbing and moving at times. An absolute mindfuck of a game and you have to love it for that.”
“One of the most anticipated sequels in gaming history (well for me it was) SH2 doesn't disappoint. An absolutely fantastic game that has shocks and scares galore and so much more. This is a worthy addition to the SH franchise and indeed to the entire survival horror genre and of course lets not forget that this is the game that introduced us to one of the scariest gaming characters ever created in the form of Pyramid Head”

Black2 says:
I’m really pleased to see this in the chart, it’s easily the pinnacle of the series and probably the genre. You can sail through it as a creepy ride, but if you take your time and really think about what’s happening it’s an incredibly deep plot. Essentially the central character is wracked with guilt and the Silent Hill world manifests itself as sexual revenge. Massive essays have been written about it’s meaning. But if you push that aside then you’re still left with a game blessed with a tense and tight game structure. It’s method of choosing difficulty separate for puzzles and action is a brilliant one and something I wish more games would implement. If you think you’re clever, try the puzzles on Hard…

By the way, two words... PYRAMID HEAD.
Posted Image

#65 Onyx2

Onyx2

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Nexus @ Jul 2 2009, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although, the picture at the bottom of FF8 is actually from either FF7 or Dirge of Cerberus, as it shows Vincent Valentine. Minor point, but tongue.gif

It's from dirge of cerberus. Curse my working too fast!
Posted Image

#66 neil

neil

Inter-Continental Champion

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

Amazed at GH3 being picked. The worst of the series in my opinion. GH2 was far superior as a game.

As Black2 mentioned, GH3 suffered from poor note alignment, shitty shitty boss battles, and worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.
<span style='font-size: 36px;'><span style='color: #FF0000'><span style='font-family: Impact'>FOUNDER MEMBER OF THE NO SIGS CREW</span></span></span> <br/>
You want in? Put "NO SIGS CREW" in yo sig in size 7, red, Impact font then TURN DEM SIGS OFF

#67 seph

seph

Ciderhead

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 2 2009, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the replacement's somewhat better biggrin.gif

As night-time leads to day, your heart is gonna have to stray in and out of harm's way.

Sephjnr's Second And Even More Disappointing Blog (Updated 15/02/12)

#68 Onyx2

Onyx2

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (sephjnr @ Jul 2 2009, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 2 2009, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the replacement's somewhat better biggrin.gif

What do you mean?

worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.

I'd totally forgotten about the absurd difficulty spikes. Yuk. All GH-style games should have a "no fail" option like the newer ones do, it's just no fun in party mode when someone lets the team down.
Posted Image

#69 Harvey Dent

Harvey Dent

In Training

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I'm pleased to see a few of my quotes come up, I tried to make an effort to say something interesting althought admitedly sometimes I just couldnt think of many more describing words. Major props to Black2 for all the presentation effort, really is awesome.

#70 Gladstones Bitch

Gladstones Bitch

Card Filler

• Sig/Avatar Abusers
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Only played on 1 game from the last bunch ( Mario 3 ) and it sort of made my pick but I cheated and lumped them all together on Super Mario Allstars tongue.gif
Posted Image

I loved the way you loved me!

#71 Mitch

Mitch

Card Filler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Surprised to see Guitar Hero 3 there, thought thatwas universally panned by players. So glad to see Silent Hill 2, that was my number 1 game, a masterpiece.

#72 Mr. Seven

Mr. Seven

Resident Music Nazi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

LOLZ at Black2's Final Fantasy VIII picture replacement faux-pas.

Just kidding man, appreciate the good work you're doing, you're entitled to a mistake. Or two. wink.gif

#73 Nexus

Nexus

Curtain Jerker

• Paid Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

The replacement is from FF7, I think >:

Lul.

#74 Burchill's Buddy

Burchill's Buddy

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (neil @ Jul 2 2009, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amazed at GH3 being picked. The worst of the series in my opinion. GH2 was far superior as a game.

As Black2 mentioned, GH3 suffered from poor note alignment, shitty shitty boss battles, and worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.

I reckon GH1 or 2 might still be to come (I'd be pretty shocked if GH3 got more votes) I'm with you on Reign in Blood on Expert. A painful chore rather than a song. Same goes for Knights of Cydonia which would have been the best song on there had they not ballsed up the note chart.

#75 Majik

Majik

European Champion

• Promoters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

2 games, 2 quotes smile.gif. I'm surprised at the GH3 hate - it dropped out of my list at the very last minute (alongside Lemmings, funnily enough). I think y'all are right - it was my cherry popping into GH and therefore has a place in my heart.

Majik
Posted Image