The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Paid Members

If my toilet came with a remote containing 20 face buttons and a little directional pad on the end I'd probably just piss on the floor.

Having that many buttons at that position on the pad is utterly stupid. It's a cool idea to map their functions like that, but it's still horrible design. Having 15 face buttons on a control pad is not wise. If you need extra functions, they can go on triggers or be put in places where your hands/fingers/thumbs naturally rest.

It is not at all natural to reach down to any of those buttons mid-game. The d-pad and three main action buttons have been shunted almost off the end of the pad to accomodate that "feature" too. I thought the PlayStation analogue sticks were pretty poorly placed, but they've got nothing on that beast.

The whole shape of the thing is horrible too. The Amiga CD-32 had a shitty pad but at least it had a vaguely ergonomic design, the Jaguar's pad is awful to hold.

Why make the "Pause" and "Option" buttons diagonal like that? It doesn't look cool or interesting and it makes them that little bit more fiddly to use. Brilliant.

Lastly, their rebellious backwards placement of A, B and C is just silly, but then they had no choice after sticking with the dumb-ass diagonally placed buttons idea I suppose.

The only pad in recent memory that might be worse is the original Chunky Xbox pad. Man I hated those.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I think we should all have a chuckle at the CD32 pad anyway:

http://www.thosewerethedays.de/items/joyst...ga_cd32_pad.jpg

Jesus Christ.

That thing needs to be humanely euthanised.

Thought I'd post my list, apologies as it does go on a bit:

15. Worms Armageddon (PC)

Painfully addictive and often cruelly unfair, this game deserves praise because the mechanics are so user-friendly and simple. That

• Paid Members

I was 50/50 about posting my explanation and pictures, but figured that it failed so badly it probably passed some people by completely. If you didn't pay much attention to gaming then it wasn't really in your face with great advertising. Most major retailers and chains didn't stock it (aside from Rumbelows, bless'em) and if you didn't read magazines or watch Gamesmaster I could see you missing it.

I still have mine, occasionally get it out for a burst of Brutal Sports.

Good list there Whinehouse. The original Quake was the business; a hacked copy of it went all round uni, which at the time was probably one of the only places in England to have a decent internet infrastructure, meaning the computer rooms were awash with Quake players at about 1 in the morning, taking on the Yanks.

I'm talking '96 here, and I don't think I played another online shooter until about Halo, 6 years later.

Best thing about Quake? You could fire upwards.

Excellent work Black2! Here is my list, I had started to write really long write ups but was too close to deadline and had to settle to tiny sentences.

1. Silent Hill 2 - PS2

Scary, mature, gripping. A masterpiece.

2. TimeSplitters Future Perfect - PS2

Same great multiplayer, finally a decent story mode.

3. Resident Evil - PS1

My first survival horror game and it sucked me into the genre. Also features best character ever: Barry Burton

4. Broken Sword - PC

Lovely game, hilarious and interesting with fiendish puzzles.

5. Grim Fandango - PC

More hilarious puzzling, genuine sadness when you finish the game as you will no longer be spending time with the characters.

6. Metal Gear Solid 4 - PS3

Well polished, great finale to the series that somehow ties up the loose ends from several batshit insane plots.

7. Grand Theft Auto 3 - PS2

Seemed to come out of nowhere to take over the world. Great fun just driving around listening to Lazlow on the radio.

8. Incredible Crisis - PS1

One of the strangest games I have ever played which follows a Japanese family going to a birthday party but get involved in affairs and alien invasions.

9.Dynamite Headdy - Mega Drive

Excellent Treasure platformer, bright vibrant and very hard.

10. Mega Bomberman - Mega Drive

CLassic multiplayer gaming.

11. Burnout Paradise - PS3

Brilliant reinvention of the franchise and the constant updates keep it fresh.

12. Sonic The Hedgehog - Mega Drive

I mod just about ever console or phone I own and run this game. Addicitve and fantastic soundtrack.

13. Medievil - PS1

3D platformer packed with British humour and loads of varied levels.

14. Die Hard Arcade - Sega Saturn

Three games in one. None are anywhere near perfect but all are hilarious fun with friends in the same room.

15. SingStar - PS3

Ultimate party game - everyone wants a go when drunk and the online features are fantastic. Constant updates lead tonew tracklists for every party.

• Paid Members

Put me down for some love of Dues Ex, one of the first real FPS games i played after doom and it was amazing. The story was excellent and i loved every minute of it.

Also on a side I picked up a cheap mag of the market the other week for 50P, Edge on File (or File on Edge), just a load of old back issues re-printed in one mag. It covered the creation of the 3DO home console thing and development and launch of the playstation and the start of the 64 i believe. Any way thats issue 2, so if any of you like the sound from my short poor blurb then have a gander on ebay or something as its quite interesting to read in retrospective.

• Awards Moderator
Has this thread inspired anyone to try out some of the games mentioned, either because they charted highly, or because the more obscure nominations might be hidden gems?

As mentioned previously I bought "Shadow of Memories" on PS2, yet to play it though.

I also emu'd a bunch o' games as it got me on a whole retro kick: Fire Pro Premium X, Star Control, Ghostbusters (Mega Drive), Golden Axe II... man Fire Pro still rocks. That's the worst thing about this list, that on a wrestling forum a Fire Pro didn't make it.