New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Looking forward to the new series but PLEASE MOFFAT CAN WE HAVE 2/3 PARTERS! i dont care that your daughter doesnt like to wait to see what happens, there are millions of fans out there who do.

I dont remember watching Black Orchid or the Sontaron Experiment and thinking - Wow 45 min is enough for a story lets not bother with long boring stories like Genesis of the Daleks, Talons of Weng Chung or The Invasion. There were only 4 stories of 45 minute length (not counting Mission to the Unknown) in the entire "Classic series" run. Even taking the new series format i'd rather have the full 3 parter of Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Time lords then trying to cram all of it into 1 episode.

I never understood why they did that anyway, they had a real soap opera like storyline designed for box set viewing and then a series full of individual episodes. Maybe they were just trying new things to keep the format fresh but the two polar opposites in two years running just seems odd.

Below is extract from DWM in 2011 when he took over

"The big thing is, nothing in the next run is starting out as a two-parter. At this stage, everything is a single episode, and the only reason anything will become a two-parter is if we think it needs to be; not so much that the story is too long for 45 minutes, but if it feels as though there are two distinct stages to the story. I was looking at the facts and stats, and it's not true that the two-parters save us money. We've assumed it for years. They don't save us money at all. Not a penny. So what's the point in them? I want to be able to say, every week, we've got a big standalone blockbuster, and then a trailer that makes it look like nothing compared to what's going to happen next week! That's the form next year."

I am convinced that he did an interview where he said his daughter didnt like waiting a week for the end of the story but i cant find it at moment

• Paid Members

Samuel Anderson announced as recurring character Danny Pink for series 8. Facebook page immediately fills with responses along the lines of "If you needed a black, why didn't you just bring back Mickey?" Thankfully they've mostly been shouted down since.

Ha yeah, he's been compared to Mickey simply because he's black. People really don't think do they?

I remember Moffat saying that his kids hates two parters, they used to get annoyed with them so he decided to make them all 'Blockbusters' every week. I think it was in the run up to Series 7.

• 5 months later...

I am.

I was pretty ill at the time of the 50th and still went (when I probably really shouldn't have) and had a pretty wonderful time so I'm hoping to again.

Although I do wonder what it'll be like seeing a first episode for a new doctor in that kind of environment. Last time it was full of cheers and oohs and things, presumably that won't be so much the case this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

So, this is today. I would have loved to have gone to a cinema screening of the episode tonight but have other commitments which will necessitate an internet blackout until I can get to the Sky+ box. Really excited to find out what Capaldi will be like. Shame this will be Jenna Coleman's last series.

I enjoyed the episode and thought Capaldi is pretty much spot on. Such potential for the show with him as the lead. I also, seemingly in the minority, avoided any spoilers beforehand so it was all a nice surprise for me. Loved the almost steampunk asthetic. Good start to the new series.

Edited by Harvey Dent

So Capaldi's gonna be a ruthless bastard then, makes sense. Not sure on the Matt Smith cameo. I dunno if when trying to establish a new Doctor who's very different from the last one and looks a bit mean, if giving us a glimpse of the last one was so wise. I suppose it served it's purpose in why he appeared though.