What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Shame the Great British Bake Off was marred by controversy recently (an old woman who was accused of sabotage fainted and lost her sense of taste and smell apparently) but it's still an easy watch, I don't fancy SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
Chetna or Martha's chances of staying much longer but I can't call it between the rest.

I used to not mind How I Met Your Mother, but watching that clip, the cloying "everyone loves everyone, let's all give loving smiles, all is right with the world" stuff makes me heave. I've no patience for that Friends-esque nonsense anymore. Although I know Modern Family is bound to be guilty of the same thing, and Parks and Recreation, and I love them. And The Big Bang Theory probably doesn't have so much of that stuff, but everyone who has ever enjoyed it should be tortured and strangled. So it's probably really just that watching the clip reminded me that How I Met Your Mother is shit, and I focused on the smiles and sentimentality because it made it seem smug in its shitness. It's definitely not that I'm just bitter at having nothing better to do on a Saturday night than watch alternate endings to sitcoms I don't like.

Edited by King Pitcos

I thought the alternate ending was as shit as the proper one. Which is to say, quite shit. The show had long gone beyond a point where a relatively satisfying conclusion was possible for all of the characters, especially Ted. And all the characters were arseholes by the end, a common trait with the longstanding US shows that forcibly outstay their welcome. I stuck with it week after week like a mug because I do that with programmes I start, but it reached a point where in hindsight, the actual majority of it was fucking shite, rather than one duff season or something. 

• Paid Members

I really like HIMYM, it has the same "not great but very watchable" feel to me that most people have about Friends. I find the cast immediately more likable.
The alternate ending is too clean, I liked the original because though glum, it all made sense. 

• Moderators

HIMYM is pretty awful. I have a friend who was one of the writers on the last couple seasons of that show, in fact some of our mutual friends were extras in one episode. However, it's funny because most of us will admit to it not being that good to each other. The final episode ending was dreadful in my opinion.

I came into this thread because I just saw this, http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Its-Official-Tony-Winner-James-Corden-Named-Host-of-CBSs-LATE-LATE-SHOW-20140908

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I AM MOVING BACK TO THE UK

Can anybody recommend and good 'cat and mouse' type T.V programmes (NOT Tom and Jerry!)

I'm currently addicted to Death Note, A Japanese Anime (Also the first Anime I've ever watched) which I'm almost coming to the end of. It involves a man who can kill people just by writing their name in a notebook, trying to rid the world of evil people, and another guy trying to catch him without being found out so he can stay alive. 

If anyone has seen this and knows of similar stories where there is continuity, Like with The Mentalist and Red John, please feel free to recommend them,

• Awards Moderator

In my 'finally getting round to watching The Wire' effort I started in March, I'm now a couple of episodes away from the end of season 3, and

they just killed Stringer! I don't know why but I just assumed he'd be in it until the end. Really quite shocked at that development.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Hannibal was my first thought too, the first season isn't too great at times but it really picks up during the second. If you want to watch another anime then I'd recommend Zankyou no Terror which has a very similar vibe to Death Note, it's currently airing in Japan but it's subbed and released over here at the same time.