UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

It didn't help that the US housing crisis, which had started in 2005, was picking up a lot of steam by the time 2007 rolled around and it was only going to get worse. With his income dependent on the value of real estate, Awesome was no doubt very worried about how he’d support himself and his family.

• Awards Moderator

They get large sums of money at once. It takes relatively little skill to buy a property, modernise it then sell it on for a profit. The only barrier to entry is the initial investment.

• Paid Members

Did Piper work house shows at any point in WCW?

I'm 99% sure the answer will be "no." WCW never ran a great deal of house shows during the Nitro/Thunder era and when they did, certain top guys rarely or never worked them, and Piper was all kinds of broken down and not worth risking getting hurt on the road when they still wanted to use him on TV. If anyone wants to correct me, I'll be very, very shocked.

• Paid Members

According to Cawthon's site he appeared on a LA house show in '97 which WCWWrestling.com tried to sell as Pay Per Listen.

Would be the same show where Jericho won the Cruiser title from Syxx despite the fact the latter had just had a full length match with Misterio? The babyface Chris Jericho winning the title with a severe unfair advantage over the heel champion.... and they wondered why he wasn't getting over!

• Moderators

That's the one, yes.

WCW @ Inglewood, CA - Great Western Forum - June 28, 1997 (11,000)
WCW Saturday Nitro - included Mike Tenay, Mark Madden, & Gene Okerlund on commentary as an internet-exclusive broadcast on WCWWrestling.com via RealAudio; included an in-ring promo by Ric Flair in which he insulted the crowd; featured an in-ring segment after intermission, with WCW World Champion Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, WCW Tag Team Champions Scott Hall & Kevin Nash, Syxx, Randy Savage, Buff Bagwell, and Masahiro Chono claiming Los Angeles was "nWo country" and Hogan challenging Sting to come out and face him for the title:
Juventud Guerrera, Damien (sub. for Hector Garza), & Super Calo (sub. for Lizmark Jr) defeated Konnan, La Parka, & Villano IV at 10:18 when Guerrera pinned Villano with a roll up; after the match, Konnan's team attacked the winners, with Konnan then insulting the local border patrol on the mic

The Ultimo Dragon defeated Psychosis (w/ Sonny Onoo) at 12:28 via submission with the Dragon Sleeper
Eddie Guerrero pinned Dean Malenko at 16:31 with his feet on the ropes; after the match, Gene Okerlund conducted an interview with Guerrero, who stated since the fans cheered people like Sting who use baseball bats, he would use whatever tactics were necessary
Rick & Scott Steiner defeated Masahiro Chono (sub. for Scott Norton) & Buff Bagwell at 16:20 when Rick pinned Bagwell after a belly to belly suplex
WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx defeated Rey Mysterio Jr at 11:33 via submission with the Buzzkiller; prior to the match, Chris Jericho entered the ring and challenged the winner to face him for the title, with both participants agreeing
Chris Jericho pinned WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx to win the title at the 37-second mark with a spinning heel kick after moving out of the way of Syxx's Bronco Buster attempt

Roddy Piper defeated Ric Flair via submission with the sleeper at 8:10
Diamond Dallas Page pinned Randy Savage at 5:16 with the Diamond Cutter after Page lifted his boot as Savage came off the top
Lex Luger & the Giant defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Kevin Nash & Scott Hall via disqualification at 12:01 when WCW World Champion Hulk Hogan interfered and hit Luger with his title belt as Luger has Hall in the Torture Rack; after the match, Sting lowered from the rafters, attacked Hogan, and put him in the Scorpion Deathlock until Syxx hit the ring with a pipe, with Sting then releasing the hold; moments later, Sting delivered the Scorpion Death Drop to Hall, Nash was put in Luger's Torture Rack, and the Giant hit the choke slam on Syxx; Hall & Nash used the Fugees' "Ready or Not" as entrance music

• Paid Members

Was Diesel’s WWF theme supposed to be a rip off of Alannah Miles’ “Black Velvet”?

I'm positive it is based on this classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyuhsyGXCY

Without clicking on it, this is the Roseanne theme isn't it? I swear, as soon as I first heard it on the Royal Rumble 1995 PPV, me and a mate said it together as soon as we heard it. Roseanne was a big show in 1995 as well. Friday nights on Channel 4.