UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

I got some questions bout the ol WWE on sky. Was Raw on Sky since it started or did it start airing later? I I remember Superstars and that being on in the early 90s, and read it started airing in 86, but the earliest I remember Raw being on was for an hour on fridays I think in 96 when Id just got sky in (What a day that was for a young Cyde!)then I think it went to two hours an began airing on the friday later in the evening when the content got bit raunchier? Is this right or is my memory tripping? Also, what was the first PPV to be on sky sport, the earlist I remember was Royal Rumble 94 but im sure it went back before that, Were the likes of Wrestlemania 5 and 6 and that on Sky live?

Sky had Superstars and Challenge from the beginning.

AFAIK the WrestleManias were:

1: Not shown?

2: Delay

3: Live

4/5: Delay

6: Live (Sky Movies)

7: Delay (Sky Movies)

8: Live (Sky Movies)

9: Live (Sky Sports)

10: Delay (Sky Sports)

11-19: Live (Sky Sports)

20 on: Live (Sky Box Office)

I believe most of the other PPVs were on delay until around late 94/5 and were then live except for a spell in 96.

I don't remember the precise dates, but it was Autumn 95 before we got Raw (until then it was just WWF Mania). It was on delay until going live some time in the 2000s. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing the go-home Raw for WrestleMania in 2004 on the Friday night, though I don't remember if it was broadcast that night or I was watching something I'd taped earlier.

Cheers..didnt know there was that much WWF on british TV that early, i think you're right too about Raw stll being on fridays in around Wrestlemania 20, I think  they went live over here not long after though probably within the year. Prob been asked lots too but was there ever WCW ppvs on Sky? I know Nitro was on when Cartoon Netwrok went to sleep and TNT came on

Raw started showing here in 1995 on Fridays at 5pm.  I'm not sure when in the year, but I have the Raw the day after 95 Survivor Series with the Shawn Michaels concussion angle recorded off Sky Sports.  It moved to 9pm early '97, February time I think, around the same time it changed to two hours.  Can't remember when it moved to Thursdays, but we started getting in live on Monday nights in January '05.

We didn't get Heat, Smackdown or Superstars (new version) for ages after they started either.  I remember when Heat started in America and they showed some of the matches from it on Superstars here, and remembering being so pleased because before then Superstars showed the same matches from Shotgun or Metal with different commentary.  That would have been fine except Shotgun or Metal aired straight before Superstars on Saturday mornings.  Why did Sky do that?

Edited by The Dart

• Moderators

There wasn't, unless you're on about the Feb 98 episode of Livewire that showed a Light Heavyweight 6 man off Shotgun just before it was on after it.

Sat: 12pm - Livewire

1pm - Shotgun Challenge

Sun: 12pm - Superstars

• Paid Members

Forgot to add a clarification/extra detail to the John Chapman story. He actually picked up a bunch of trademarks related to World of Sport and wrestling that had fallen out of use and reverted to the Crown, then sold them back to ITV. The rights to use the WOS name in marketing his TV taping was part of the deal in selling them back.

There wasn't, unless you're on about the Feb 98 episode of Livewire that showed a Light Heavyweight 6 man off Shotgun just before it was on after it.

1pm - Shotgun Challenge

There was. I'm going to disagree with you, I just don't have the proof. It didn't happen once, it was every week for quite a while. Might have been Sundays, and might not have been the first showing of one of them, but it happened. I wouldn't wrongly remember seeing matches then seeing them again an hour later with different commentary. I watched every episode of Shotgun/Metal/Jakked ever shown and every Superstars from 95 onwards.

It's possible it was a different period of time, 97 or 99 but I remember Superstars starting to show matches from Heat and being happy about it.

Edit - This is on wikipedia, which backs up my memory but without any actual facts:

From 1997 until 1999, matches from WWF Shotgun were aired on the international version of WWF Superstars with commentary by Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly.

Edited by The Dart

Cheers..didnt know there was that much WWF on british TV that early, i think you're right too about Raw stll being on fridays in around Wrestlemania 20, I think  they went live over here not long after though probably within the year. Prob been asked lots too but was there ever WCW ppvs on Sky? I know Nitro was on when Cartoon Netwrok went to sleep and TNT came on

Ok heres what I can remember going through my great big book of wrestling on sky I wrote everything down I taped.

We used to get All American Wrestling on a Friday night at 10pm in 1989 where as Superstars seemed to come on a Saturday dinner time possible 12pm. Around the week of Feb 90 they removed All American and replaced it with Wrestling Challenge I believe it was the Smash/Haku show that was when the change started. Something happened later on in the year because the two shows seemed to have swapped their timeslots instead.

Wrestlemania 5 I saw when they aired it in Feb 1990 because they made the fans wait to see the Hogan/Savage TME show around 5am in the morning but they aired the full Mania 5 show before it on Sky One. No idea how long it ran but I used a 4 hr tape took all the ads out and it only just fit on the tape.

Now Raw debuted on Sept 5th 1995 on Sky Sports because the first show was the big HBK/Sid title match but before then we had Todd on Mania to show us what happened before then. I know we never got Heat until Channel 4 bought the rights from 2000, Action Zone I know we got at 5pm on a Sunday mind you with different commentators. Shotgun we got alough we never got any of the Nightclub action but with that & Superstars same matches with different commentary. Live wire I remember but no phonecalls so a UK version but when that ended we got WWF Blastoff a similar thing & Dok Hendrix hosting a Shotgun Challenge show.

Raw in 95 tended to be a 5pm timeslot but it went to 10pm I think when HBK/Yokozuna was the big match after Summerslam 96 as it was cut to pieces before then no bulldog/hbk brawl after the slap or mankind hitting the casket. I know we used to get Prime Time Wrestling in 1990 from Jan onwards as dont recall it airing in 89 as checked all over the place. Later it moved to Sky Sports I think on a monday but as that was a school night it was hard to remember to tape it like Challenge did. I think it kept moving all over the place. I need to check my book for actual dates I wrote down for that.

Eurosport aired SWS a WWF/NJPW show & Screensport in 1990 aired USWA Texas 1990 stuff & Lifestyle in 1990 would air WCCW from random years. I can easily piece the matches on these shows if anyone needs more info.

WCW stuff pretty much covered on DSF we got Nitro in 2 parts, PPV, Sat Night, Worldwide.

TNT didnt give us Nitro until the beginning of april 96 which then it was a couple weeks behind. ITV in 1991 gave us WCW Pro at 1.50am in the morning before March 1992 it moved to mid day and we got worldwide instead.

I remember Raw 97 the first 2 hr show we had to wait separate weeks to see it. They wouldnt give us the 2nd hr till the next week which I recall alot of the ECW invasion was cut out of some shows and highlights put on Mania/Livewire and they skipped out the Taz/Lawler stuff the Raw that showed the highlights of the german euro title because we got the full show so wouldnt suprise me if they quietly did that to get us more up to date.

WCW was also on Sky Sports in 1991 as I have a few shows of that it was Power Hour remember Sting pinning Flair and Gonzalez counted the pin.

Edited by iamthedoctor

1pm - Shotgun Challenge

There was. I'm going to disagree with you, I just don't have the proof. It didn't happen once, it was every week for quite a while. Might have been Sundays, and might not have been the first showing of one of them, but it happened. I wouldn't wrongly remember seeing matches then seeing them again an hour later with different commentary. I watched every episode of Shotgun/Metal/Jakked ever shown and every Superstars from 95 onwards.

It's possible it was a different period of time, 97 or 99 but I remember Superstars starting to show matches from Heat and being happy about it.

Edit - This is on wikipedia, which backs up my memory but without any actual facts:

From 1997 until 1999, matches from WWF Shotgun were aired on the international version of WWF Superstars with commentary by Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly.

When I started watching in 2000 they used to show WWF Metal and WWF Superstars back to back with the same matches but in a different order and commentary team

• Moderators

1pm - Shotgun Challenge

Yeah, Superstars and Shotgun shown the same matches with different commentary teams (Terry Taylor and Dr Tom!), but they were on different days when Heat was not shown on UK TV. 

Tv listing of a sunday on Sky One from when just after Heat debuted in Aug 1998 - http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-1063.html

TV Listings of a weekend after Heat found a home on Channel 4 in Dec 2000 - http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-2190.html