UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

With all the talk about wether the WWE would buy the TNA tape library. Had me thinking which tape libraries WWE had not got the rights too yet?

Can't be many left mind.

Did they sort out the mess that is Memphis?

With all the talk about wether the WWE would buy the TNA tape library. Had me thinking which tape libraries WWE had not got the rights too yet?

Can't be many left mind.

Did they sort out the mess that is Memphis?

Apparently Vince and Lawler are going through the legalities of it all at the moment. Would be great if they did buy it and then see if they can professionally clean it up as some of the stuff there is out there is in horrible condition. I wonder if they would be interested in buying the World of Sport library? Although I heard something that when they tried to buy one match for a boxset (might have Bret Hart) whoever owns the WOS footage quoted them some ridiculous amount! 

I remember reading last year that WWE were interested in buying the World Of Sport library, but it was on bleacher report so didn't take it for much.

Hypothetically, if they did buy it, what use would it be to them? WOS had finished before I'd even discovered wrestling. I know there are some big names that they could use it for, but surely buying the whole library would be buying more than they could use it for

• Paid Members

I think these two stories were mixed up. They did try to get the Bret Hart-Marty Jones match for the Dungeon set but it took ages to find somebody with the authority to make a decision to offer it for license and then the price was something utterly ridiculous that was a polite way of saying no, like with Metallica and Enter Sandman.

FWIW, BBC had to pay a five figure sum just to use clips of Daddy-Haystacks in the Timeshift documentary and on The One Show, neither of which were being sold on DVD.

Apparently ITV have no interest whatsoever in selling the library as a whole rather than licensing it as they did to the Wrestling Channel.

I think these two stories were mixed up. They did try to get the Bret Hart-Marty Jones match for the Dungeon set but it took ages to find somebody with the authority to make a decision to offer it for license and then the price was something utterly ridiculous that was a polite way of saying no, like with Metallica and Enter Sandman.

FWIW, BBC had to pay a five figure sum just to use clips of Daddy-Haystacks in the Timeshift documentary and on The One Show, neither of which were being sold on DVD.

Apparently ITV have no interest whatsoever in selling the library as a whole rather than licensing it as they did to the Wrestling Channel.

How much footage is out there of the ITV days? Did they keep everything they recorded for World of Sport?

I think The Wrestling Channel aired 178 episodes according to the guide but I couldnt find any info on what Movies & Men aired or even which years they aired. I presume they didnt show the same stuff TWC showed.

. I wonder if they would be interested in buying the World of Sport library? Although I heard something that when they tried to buy one match for a boxset (might have Bret Hart) whoever owns the WOS footage quoted them some ridiculous amount! 

I remember reading last year that WWE were interested in buying the World Of Sport library, but it was on bleacher report so didn't take it for much.

Hypothetically, if they did buy it, what use would it be to them? WOS had finished before I'd even discovered wrestling. I know there are some big names that they could use it for, but surely buying the whole library would be buying more than they could use it for

John, what was all the talk about John Chapman (of AWA: UK fame) owning the library? 

How much footage is out there of the ITV days? Did they keep everything they recorded for World of Sport?

I think The Wrestling Channel aired 178 episodes according to the guide but I couldnt find any info on what Movies & Men aired or even which years they aired. I presume they didnt show the same stuff TWC showed.

Here's the full and accurate story:

John Chapman had a one year lease on all WOS footage, during that time it was sold on ITunes, single matches and episodes I believe.  I am not sure if that did well or not.

The deal also allowed the WOS name to be used for a pilot that was filmed in Croydon last year, which apparently ITV really liked (but nothing's going to come of it most likely), but since then WWE have put in offers to buy the footage, but they want the whole library.  ITV have no plans at all to do anything with the footage in the future, so WWE are still looking for the footage, just trying to get a decent price.

Edited by The Dart

I got some questions bout the ol WWE on sky. Was Raw on Sky since it started or did it start airing later? I I remember Superstars and that being on in the early 90s, and read it started airing in 86, but the earliest I remember Raw being on was for an hour on fridays I think in 96 when Id just got sky in (What a day that was for a young Cyde!)then I think it went to two hours an began airing on the friday later in the evening when the content got bit raunchier? Is this right or is my memory tripping? Also, what was the first PPV to be on sky sport, the earlist I remember was Royal Rumble 94 but im sure it went back before that, Were the likes of Wrestlemania 5 and 6 and that on Sky live?

• Moderators

Wrestlemania 3 was on Sky Channel, I believe. Although Lister would have to confirm that. Raw wasn't on Sky from day one, and we had to sit through Todd Pettingill on WWF Mania to see what happened on it.

• Moderators

Yeah, Action Zone would recap. Although it's original form of showing awesome competitive matches between top talent was the best one. Ramon/Kid vs Diesel/HBK still raises erections in all that saw it.

And while I've not the foggiest what "oul" is, Todd Pettingill certainly was, and is, the worst.