Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Podcast Recommendations
UKFF > Main > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2
Joey Joe Joe Jr
Hey, I'm doing lots of traveling for the next few weeks and need some podcasts. I listen to the Nerdist, AOW, Stephen Toboloswky, Gamble and Peacock, LAW, Ministry of Slam, Daily Bugle, Michelle Beadle and Grizzley Egg Bear Cafe, to give you a taste of what I like. So anything similar or something you guys listen to religiously, either wrestling, tv or humour related?
Astro Hollywood
How did this get made

A tremendous podcast about terrible cinema.
CAREBEAR LUVVA
I have no idea what most of those are, but with one of them being called the Nerdist it made me think you may enjoy Starburst Radio
gmoney
Lots of great podcasts at Earwolf, including How Did This Get Made which Woyzeck mentions above. I recommend Comedy Bang Bang and Who Charted? especially.

Also:

Doug Loves Movies (Live movie discussion and games with comedians and people. John Lithgow was on it once.)
This American Life (Sort of like an American Radio 4. Always interesting and funny)
Smartest Man In The World (Greg Proops does an hour of stand up every week)
Superego (Sketch comedy)
Big_Will
WTF with Marc Maron
Anything on Kevin Smith's SModcast network is normally worth a listen
The Cum Doctor
I love listening to Football Weekly. The One Wrestling Show is a good 'un I like as well, mainly for the laughs.
NEWM
They're old now, but available everywhere online in all the usual slightly naughty places, the complete Russell Brand Shows from late 05-08. Get the pack, and you're set for fucking ages. Absolutely bursting with piss funny content too. I know he's a pretty polarising figure, but I've also known people who hate him do a complete 180 on him and realise just how bloody ace he is after listening through some of these. Highest recommendation.
Wretch
Try and get a hold of the Ricky Gervais show and the XFM radio shows before that. Piss funny. I only listen for Karl Pilkington tbf.
Mr. Seven
Sickboy stole my recommendation. Fucking love that podcast, just wish they'd do one every week rather than fortnightly.
Clumsy Dad
I love How Did This Get Made? too. It really is a great podcast and one that seems to be improving as well, Paul Scheer is always looking at new stuff to make it work better. The episodes with Lexi Alexander and Jack O'Halloran are some of the best podcasts Iíve ever heard; there are tons of great stories in those shows.

If you are into football Iíd recommend The Football Ramble, when this was first suggested to me I thought it might be full of laddish banter, but happily it isnít. Instead itís a really funny and often very spot on look at the week in football. They mostly concentrate on The Premier League, but do spend a decent amount of time looking at the big leagues in Europe and South America as well as doing a feature about a player or team from history every week too.

Bill Burrís Monday Morning Podcast is one of my favourites at the moment. It can be a bit rambling at times but when heís on form I think itís the funniest show Iíve heard. He does talk quite a bit about American sport, but with the NFL season over that should drop off significantly, otherwise it tends to be about a comics life on the road and stuff thatís in the news.
Wideload
I love Gamewank, as previously recommended on here by Evolution (?); Adam and Joe's podcasts from XFM and 6music and the Jon Richardson podcasts from 6music which are still available from archive.org
Mr. Seven
Football Ramble is superb. Football Weekly and ESPN Soccernet are good too, but can be dull and too quick to gloss over stuff.

I need new podcasts myself, preferably something like How Did This Get Made?, that kind of humour. Also film and/or game related. Any ideas?
gmoney
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Feb 19 2012, 23:53) *
Football Ramble is superb. Football Weekly and ESPN Soccernet are good too, but can be dull and too quick to gloss over stuff.

I need new podcasts myself, preferably something like How Did This Get Made?, that kind of humour. Also film and/or game related. Any ideas?

Doug Loves Movies
ultimo the great
My week goes like this. A bit heavy on film and football but the wrestling podcasts are all just the same whinging wankers so don't bother anymore

Monday
Guardian Football Weekly 40 odd mins, always fun
TheGame with Gab Marcotti Around 40mins, pisses me off weekly but i still listen..
Monday Night Club around 90mins if there hasn't been a game. Shame they stopped doing Booted.

Tuesday
FilmJunk 2-3 hours. Funniest podcast i listen to.

Wednesday
Cinecast at Row3 can be between 3-4 hours

Thursday
Guardian Football Weekly Extra!!!!!40 odd mins
The Art Of Wrestling

Friday
Guardian FilmWeekly 35minutes
The Film Programme 30mins Can be very dull but some decent interviews
Mark Kermode Film Reviews 90mins
Kick Off 90min- 2 hours

Saturday
Filmspotting Listen to it more out of routine than actual enjoyment.

Sunday
Day of rest

The odd others i listen to occasionally
Directors Club
Criterioncast
Movie Club Podcast.

It's a full life.
Clumsy Dad
Iíd agree with the recommendation of Doug Loves Movies and add F This Movie! and Comedy Film Nerds.
Rule One
I'm currently enjoying Adam Carolla's podcasts, he usually rants on about general stuff that gets on his nerves and has a decent guest on at least once a week.

Adam Carolla Podcast
Nick Soapdish
I will plug mine now Dis After Dark. A podcast for the more mature Disney fan. Were only on show 2, but had some good feedback and made the top 10 travel podcasts in Itunes!

I think you need to think of things that are of interest to you and see what comes up. You'll be surprised!
Silky Kisser
Wrong thread.
ColinBollocks
QUOTE (NEWM @ Feb 17 2012, 22:55) *
They're old now, but available everywhere online in all the usual slightly naughty places, the complete Russell Brand Shows from late 05-08. Get the pack, and you're set for fucking ages. Absolutely bursting with piss funny content too. I know he's a pretty polarising figure, but I've also known people who hate him do a complete 180 on him and realise just how bloody ace he is after listening through some of these. Highest recommendation.

Completely agree with this; I still stick this on now and again. It's got such rich content: one episode they're talking to Daniel Johnston, then next Will Self, the next they're in the USA, the next in an ice cream van etc. Really hilarious too, it may even turn you to loving Noel Gallagher, if you thought he was a cock for over 15 years.

The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo is quite good. He likes his wrestling too.

Other ones I listen too have already been mentioned.

On the subject of podcasts, Here's The Thing by Alex Baldwin is so disappointing. It's one massive arse lick, followed by Baldwin doing his deep husky 'I'm an proper intellectual, me' voice.
HarmonicGenerator
Shakespeare's Restless World started this week on Radio 4 and all the episodes are available as podcasts - if you're into literature or history at all I can't recommend them enough. Same sort of style as A History Of The World In 100 Objects but focusing on Shakespeare and ... well, the world around him. The first episode was all about Drake's navigation of the globe and the English trouble with the Spanish, and how they informed everything from throwaway Puck lines in A Midsummer Night's Dream to the naming of Shakespeare's theatre. Really interesting if you like that sort of thing.
DeanoTheGame
For film podcasts I stick with Kermode and Mayo's 5Live podcast and the Empire podcast. The bloke hosting the Empire podcast is an annoying turd though. You've probably seen him popping up on Film 2012 talking about how excited he is for the Avengers film or something.

For my comedy needs, as NEWM said the Russell Brand show was terrific. His best work ever is in those shows.The Ricky Gervais and Frank Skinner podcasts are pretty great too.

For the literature types, This American Life is great. Selected Shorts is also very, very good. It's audio recordings of actors reading out works of literature - obviously it's hit and miss depending on the work and the actor, but most of the time it's a fine listen. The New Yorker: Fiction podcast is similarly good, but seems more dry and flat.
Mr. Seven
Can't stand Kermode and Mayo anymore. I used to enjoy Kermode's style but then it all became way too self-aware and the constant references to 'wittertainment', Jason Isaacs, their disgusting 'code of conduct', the BBFC guidelines, Kermode's horrific impressions of Danny Dyer, Renee Zellweger, Gwyneth Paltrow et al, drives me fucking mental. Their live shows are a disgrace too and I would imagine the assembled audience to be the biggest collection of mouth-breathing mutants imaginable.

The show is only tolerable when Boyd and Floyd fill in.
ColinBollocks
Agreed. I remember listening to Richard Bacon on the radio, and he had Mayo and Kermode on to talk about their anniversary. Both proceeded to deconstruct their whole show/schtick, proving what a pile of self-aware tits both men are.

I also hate it when Mayo reads out feedback from the listeners. Mayo's smugness is bad enough, but then you have added 'look at me, I'm well clever' from the listeners on top of that.

I think I've listened to one episode in the past 18 months.
Mr. Seven
Their forced Odd Couple bullshit is absolutely infuriating. Kermode will make some pretentious reference and the second it escapes his lips, Mayo will play dumb and pull him back, making a five-second segment last for two fucking horrendous minutes.

I need a better film review podcast and I need it now.
DeanoTheGame
I'd agree with all that. I skip most of it now. I only tend to listen to the interviews and the film reviews. The Top 10 and Listener Feedback is always skippable.
Astro Hollywood
Kermode's been nothing but a troll for at least the last fifteen years. There used to be somewhat of a semblance of being a genuine critic about him, but he always felt more like a sixth form media studies student showing off by dropping references to Kurosawa and RAGING about Hollywood blockbusters than someone with genuine passion and knowledge. It's all such a show with him. He exposed himself for what he is a few years ago with his "I don't like television. In fact, I've never watched the Simpsons. Which one's Homer?" posturing. Either 1) He's an actual critic who's got such a whopping cultural hole of the most well known and culturally significant TV show of all time that his opinions on film are worthless, or 2) He was trolling, just to perpetuate that image of Mark Kermode as Angry, Cultured Teddy Boy who Doesn't Play by The Rules; in which case, also disregard his opinions, because shouting for ten minutes about how furious the new Pirates movie makes him is just more of the same. If you had to sum Mark Kermode up, it would be that thing about how the people who say they care the least about what others think are always the ones who care the most.

Supposedly his breath stinks too.

QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Apr 22 2012, 14:51) *
their disgusting 'code of conduct'

What's this?
Devon Malcolm
I'm amazed that anyone thought Kermode was good in the first place, because he really never has been.

Filmspotting's alright, they do a good mix of new reviews and features on older films.

http://filmspotting.net/
WWEisJericho
Football Ramble- As stated earlier it is probably the best football podcast out there, broken up really nicely into sections and really funny, personal highlights for me are 'going for glold' where they guess a past footballer from clues given, and the hall of fame which is always really well thought out and tells a great story of a legendary footballers career

Football Weekly- James Richardson of Football Italia being James Richardson- that's enough for me!

SiMania
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Apr 22 2012, 15:03) *
Their forced Odd Couple bullshit is absolutely infuriating. Kermode will make some pretentious reference and the second it escapes his lips, Mayo will play dumb and pull him back, making a five-second segment last for two fucking horrendous minutes.

I need a better film review podcast and I need it now.

They really have got crap over the years. I used to listen to them without fail but can count on one finger the number of their podcasts I've made it through without switching off.

Back then I probably agreed with you as well.
Astro Hollywood
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Apr 22 2012, 17:38) *

Pair of pricks.

Here's my new favourite podcast - The Thomas and Way podcast.

You probably know Rhys Thomas as Paul from the Swiss Tony sketches, or the brilliant Bellamy's People, and Tony Way from, well, a TON of stuff, most recently in forum fave Game of Thrones.

They're basically informal, boozy chats between two old schoolfriends who are only early 30s, but have been around the British comedy scene forever. Thomas in particular isn't fussed at all about holding back, so you get some cracking stories about, for example, Mark Lammar and Sean Lock's horrible bullying behaviour, as well as a bunch of actual LOLEs, because these are right funny.
Up Chuck
QUOTE (Astro Hollywood @ Apr 24 2012, 20:08) *

Pair of pricks.

"No-one wants to hear you crunch, chew, or masticate in any way."

MASTICATE! DO YOU GET IT? BECAUSE IT SOUNDS A BIT LIKE MASTURBATE, AND THAT MAKES ME SOUND EDGY AND IRREVERENT LIKE THAT SIMON AMSTELL THAT ALL THE KIDS LIKE! I'M DEFINITELY NOT AN ATTENTION-SEEKING MANCHILD!

I want to find out where he lives, follow him to the cinema, and throw popcorn at his head for the whole film. And explain to him why he's terrible at his job if he complains.
Mr. Seven
They sometimes get feedback from cinema chains that have actually printed the fucking thing out and have it hanging proudly in their lobby. Also, every single time a listener writes in and mentions they went to a film, it's always referred to as their 'local World of Cine' (CLEVER) and it's gotten to the point where I resent the hosts and the mutant fans so much that I no longer have any idea if Mayo is embellishing the phrase 'Cineworld' or if the cunts actually write that in on purpose because IT'S SO WACKY.

Ashamed I used to love that podcast. Ashamed.
gmoney
QUOTE (Astro Hollywood @ Apr 24 2012, 20:08) *

Pair of pricks.

Here's my new favourite podcast - The Thomas and Way podcast.

You probably know Rhys Thomas as Paul from the Swiss Tony sketches, or the brilliant Bellamy's People, and Tony Way from, well, a TON of stuff, most recently in forum fave Game of Thrones.

They're basically informal, boozy chats between two old schoolfriends who are only early 30s, but have been around the British comedy scene forever. Thomas in particular isn't fussed at all about holding back, so you get some cracking stories about, for example, Mark Lammar and Sean Lock's horrible bullying behaviour, as well as a bunch of actual LOLEs, because these are right funny.

Can't agree more. It's very refreshing to hear two people in the entertainment industry who aren't falling over themselves to make sure they're not saying anything out of turn about their peers (libellous stuff is bleeped though, obv) and be very funny at the same time, and to not come off the least bit bitter. They're also really open about crap stuff they've done. It's a bit like a more honest and drunk version of the Collins and Herring podcast, but without one of them being quite annoying 75% of the time.
Wretch
Evening,

Bumping this as my routine has gone a little stale, so I'm looking for some new podcast recommendations. If it helps, I'm currently suscribed to these. . .

- Answer Me This!
- Art of Wrestling
- Ari Shaffir's Sceptic Tank
- DDP Radio
- Hollywood Babble-On
- KEXP Song of the Day
- Live Audio Wrestling
- MLW Radio
- MOHR Stories
- NPR: TED Radio Hour Podcast
- Talkin' Shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft
- The Bugle
- The Nerdist
- The Steve Austin Show
- Tom Robinson Introducing...
- Wrestling Observer / Figure Four Online

Thanks!
Joey Joe Joe Jr
I've been really enjoying You Made It Weird, with Pete Holmes. Also Wrestling with Depression with Marty Derosa.
nfc90210
Over the past few weeks I've listened to a couple of episodes of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I would recommend it highly. Especially if, like me, your knowledge of history is woeful. It's well researched and very engaging. Carlin's a good story teller and history is full of fascinating stories.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive
Bicurious Dad
This is my current subscription list, mostly video game related. I'd recommend any of these if you're interested in the subject matter.

10 O'Clock Live (audio version of the Wednesday night Channel 4 show)
Art of Wrestling
Radio 4 Comedy of the Week
Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy
Giant Bombcast (Games)
Good Job Brain (Trivia)
How Did This Get Made? (Bad movie reviews)
IGN Games podcasts
Nerd Poker (D&D)
P2B Wrestling Podcast (Only for the Kevin Kelly half year reviews)
Radio 4 General Knowledge Quizzes
Rebel FM (Games)
Rooster Teeth (Comedy/Games)
Steve Austin Show
Comedy Button
The Geekbox
The Nerdist
Weekend Confirmed (Video Games)

Generally that lot sees me through a week, although having had a few courses/days off recently has left me with a week and a half backlog to get through.
IANdrewDiceClay
Rick Moranis is interviewed on the latest Nerdist podcast. Rick Moranis! Completely out of the blue. Great to hear he isn't dead or anything. I haven't seen him in anything in years.
METAL ON METAL
QUOTE (IANdrewDiceClay @ Jun 14 2013, 1:29) *
Rick Moranis is interviewed on the latest Nerdist podcast. Rick Moranis! Completely out of the blue. Great to hear he isn't dead or anything. I haven't seen him in anything in years.

That's cause he's retired. Quit his career to take care of his family after his wife died.

Looking forward to this episode. Hardwick said the next three weeks of the podcast is stacked, can't wait!
DEF
What's the deal with the Adam Carolla show? I thought I'd give it a shot because they had Steve Austin on but he near enough ignored him in attempts to be funny. Is it just him being a blow hard all the time or is it worth me persevering? I've recently got into the Nerdist and that's right up my street. Was hoping it would be as good.

My regular podcasts are.

Smodcast
Live Audio Wrestling
Hollywood Babble-on
FEAB
Fat Man on Batman
Art of Wrestling
Interesting People Talking Wrestling
The Steve Austin Show
The Hysteria Continues
Tell 'em Steve Dave
Nerdist

Always looking for new stuff so any suggestions are appreciated. I highly recommend Hysteria Continues if your a slasher movie fan. Its great fun and well researched.
Onyx2
I can't put across how good the Radiolab podcast is. It's science-flavoured but much more interesting than that sounds. There's a podcast where they describe how many different colours animals can see, and in an inspired touch they use a choir to add layers of sound where new colours are. It's where The Oatmeal got inspiration for his recent Mantis Shrimp strip.

There's plenty I could recommend, but Radiolab is a must-try.
Devon Malcolm
So, aside from the planned UKFF thing that we're probably all bored of already, I'm starting a podcast soon.

It's going to be called Good Films and it's going to be about good films. Not great films, not cult films, not underrated films, not under-appreciated films - just good films. They may fit into one or some those categories but the main thing is that they're good and that you might quite like them.

I'm planning on having it up and running by the start of August. It probably won't have guests on it because nobody knows who I am so it will just be me talking about films in my Jon Ronson voice while kids jump on my head.

It's more or less based on this list I did on Letterboxd once:-

http://letterboxd.com/settingsun/list/99-good-films/

Remember to quote this post at the start of August and ask me why I haven't done this yet.
Clumsy Dad
That sounds great. Are you planning to do a show about each of the films on your list or are there others you have in mind for the show?

Iíve never noticed that list before. There are some belters on there, particularly Showdown in Little Tokyo and The Living Daylights.
Devon Malcolm
I would imagine that most of those films would feature and that each show would be more or less based around that one film but with some other bits and pieces just to break up the format. There are loads more that I could talk about as well on those lines, but those were just 99 I thought of off the type of my head.
Maverick
I'd certainly be interested in listening to that if you get round to it, good luck with it.
organizedkaos
At the moment I've been rather enjoying Welcome To Night Vale : http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/blog-page.html

I've tried multiple times to explain succinctly, but it's not too easy so i'll steal their description
WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Very funny - elements of Lovecraftian horror /Blue Jam/Twin Peaks (without the nice bits). Start with episode one, part of the fun is all the recurring jokes, characters and ongoing storylines.
Devon Malcolm
QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 28 2013, 14:34) *
I'd certainly be interested in listening to that if you get round to it, good luck with it.

Bollocks, that's two people that are waiting on this now.

If the worst comes to the worst and it's rubbish I can at least take solace in the fact that it will be less time a week for me losing money on William Hill.
PowerButchi
Film #1 - Escape to Victory.
Devon Malcolm
So noted!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.