Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: News Of The World Hacked Milly Dowler's Voicemail
UKFF > Main > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
gmoney
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/04/m...d-news-of-world

Felt a little bit sick after reading this. I know tabloid journalists have very little morals, but Christ this is surely an all time low?
The Miz
Just heard this on the Channel 4 news preview. Bloody amazing.
Richie Freebird
Not surprised at all. I boycott all print media and will do for life. Especially seeing as how there is no Daily Sport any more.
JNLister
For those who've not clicked through to the piece, it actually gets worse. They didn't just hack the voicemail, but the message box was full so they deleted messages so there would be room for new messages to rifle through.

The family found out messages had been deleted, assumed it was Milly who had done it, and thus falsely believed she was still alive.
neil
Wow, that is low.
Psygnosis
I'd like to say I'm surprised but honestly, I'm not.
fye
I genuinely feel sick and cant read the full article, I am with Richie, I boycott newspapers and think most journalists and all paparzzi should suffer pain in their lives. I have always said paps should be fair game for a twatting whenever they invade people's privacy. Britney Spears might be no angel but I remember her nearly dropping her infant child due to paparazzi puishing each other around her when trying to get into her car, they are evil soulless people. Rant over
Mr. Seven
I think this is pretty significant. Usually any unethical reporting is dismissed as typical tabloid shit but this is truly vile. I don't want to sound like a knee-jerk Daily Mail headline, but surely this deserves jail time?
David
The NOTW have been up to this shit for fucking ages, and we usually see some random journalist taking the fall, with the likes of Andy Coulson claiming they didn't know anything about it.

I doubt it'll be different this time.
The Maestro
It's an absolute shame, but The News Of The World will completely get away with this due to money and power that they have.
Dazz
Sickening and disgusting.
Kiffy
Rebecca Brooks, head editor at the time, now higher up in news international, was in danger of getting sacked over it all to make it go away. For some reasson murdoch didn't go through with it, and she's decided to take some time off next year to adopt a child. With a huge pay off from news international.
Sneaky eh?
johnnyboy
People can affect change. If you feel strongly about this don't buy the News of the World (if you did), don't buy the Sun (I know Liverpool's way ahead of the curve on this one), cancel your Sky sub and don't buy from companies that advertise in the News of the World and let them know why. If you're a broadsheeter maybe go for the Guardian or Independent over The Times (I'm quite partial to i myself). Please don't just like a group on Facebook and think that's enough.
Van Dammer
That is way too far, hopefully they'll go under with the amount of claims being heard against them. However, i doubt it.
bobbins
QUOTE (Kiffy @ Jul 4 2011, 22:21) *
Rebecca Brooks, head editor at the time, now higher up in news international, was in danger of getting sacked over it all to make it go away. For some reasson murdoch didn't go through with it, and she's decided to take some time off next year to adopt a child. With a huge pay off from news international.
Sneaky eh?

That "for some reason" being at the request of her good buddy David Cameron.

Johnnyboy's right, a full-on boycott of Murdoch is in order (has been for a long time actually). Hopefully this'll kickstart a real push for that. This is going to be a lot harder to sweep under the carpet.
Kiffy
Can't see full on anything occurring, certainly won't be affecting his sky or times network. At a push might reduce circulation for the sun and the notw, which is a shame, but the way it is.
shep
News Of The World? Owned by the same News International that seems to have Jeremy Cunt in their back pocket over the rubber stamping of the BSkyB deal?

Interesting that the other tabs aren't lining up to give the NOTW a kicking, burying it "beneath the fold" instead. As Tabloid Watch has just pointed out, the Mail’s story appears below a story about Christine Bleakley’s tan. Could it be that they were all at it?

I keep banging on about it but this book is a real eye opener -

Nick Davies - Flat Earth News http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-News-Aw...n/dp/0701181451

And following a few of these blogs if you want to see exposure of the tabs' bullshit -

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/
http://www.butireaditinthepaper.co.uk/
http://www.fivechinesecrackers.com/
http://minority-thought.com/

Finally, don't give the fuckers any ad revenue, selected tabs are cached here -

http://istyosty.com/

WTF?
This site was set up after reading this. I thought it would be more fair to the statistics if only people who actually liked the daily mail appeared as a "hit" on the site. We are a proxy service enabling users to view that particular site without necessarily visiting it. Pages are cached here for a few days so many hits on a particular story will only count as one initial hit on that website (until the page is re-cached). Hits to the homepage however, are updated every few hours to keep it reasonably current. This system has the added advantage of providing anonymity from their invasive tracking and the advertisements from companies that should know better (we strip the ads, referer information and the javascript by default).

Wha?
This process is entirely legal - we are just a proxy and we do not permanently store any copyright protected content on our servers so keep your knickerbockers on (in fact we don't even let our proxied pages appear in search engine results). We urge you to share the shortened links provided by istyosty.com if you would like to link to the mail to point out how ignorant they are. As well as denying them hits, you'll be damaging their search engine ranking as you won't be linking directly to them.' wink.gif

Simply bang thesun.co.uk or dailymail.co.uk into the search bar and away you go.

ozzfan
Do you know where this story is in The Sun today? Page 2. The page nobody reads. It gets about 2 inches as well.

If this story is true, heads must roll, people need to be put in prison, the BSkyB takeover needs to be blocked and a proper press regulator needs to be put in place.
WWFChilli
QUOTE (ozzfan @ Jul 5 2011, 10:25) *
Do you know where this story is in The Sun today? Page 2. The page nobody reads. It gets about 2 inches as well.

If this story is true, heads must roll, people need to be put in prison, the BSkyB takeover needs to be blocked and a proper press regulator needs to be put in place.

What do you think this is mate. A world without Lawyers?
jobberinho
QUOTE (ozzfan @ Jul 5 2011, 10:25) *

There's no avoiding it, it's a case of when and how much rather than if. At the beginning of the year it was the likes of Andy Gray and Scarlett Johanson finding out they'd been tapped, consulting their lawyers and then settling out of court, and now this has come to light. It'd be naive to think there's no more revelations to come out of this sorry mess and I don't think we've seen the worst of this by a long shot.

On a personal note I turned down work a few years back with a Scottish based tabloid for what looked like a steadier job elsewhere. Today's the first day that I don't think I made the correct decision; I know that I did.
Dead Mike
Nothing of consequence will happen over this. The general public really don't give a fuck, anyone who does care wont be an existing tabloid reader anyway & most of the people who retweet a message of disgust, join a facebook group or audbily tut when it's being discussed will be back buying The Sun/NOTW as soon as they've got some 'proper news' ie. the 'hot pics' of Posh & Beck' new sprog.
Snake Plissken
It's not just The Sun and NOTW either, it's SKY TV. You think people will give up their subscriptions en masse? No it's for the authorities to do their job properly and take the company and the employess involved to court and hopefully large fines and jail time.
Dead Mike
Even if prosecutions are pursued it'll be the individual at the bottom of the rung that cops the heat, not the institutionalised problem of scum journalism. I'd love to be proven wrong but nobody in a position of overall responsibility will be held to task over this.
Kenny McBride
It ought to be pretty hard to avoid prosecution over interfering with an ongoing police investigation, tampering with evidence and so on. If anything that was found in the hacks can be linked to a story of an above-average sales week for the paper, the charges could get a whole lot nastier. The problem is finding people who are willing to put their heads about the parapet to report on it aggressively. The BBC might, since Andy Coulson is linked to David Cameron and it enables them to fight back against attacks on their existence by the Tories, as well as taking shots at Murdoch which is almost always good fun.

So how many of you with a Sky subscription are calling to cancel it just now? Seriously. I don't buy anything Murdoch-related at the moment (not for ideological reasons - I just don't like the papers and don't care enough to spend money on the football) so it's not an issue for me, but if you do, what are YOU doing about it? Ladle it on with your friends and acquaintances too. No-one gives much of a fuck about Johnny Celeb's phone getting hacked. Poor widdle Milly though...that's a different story, especially since they deleted evidence that might have saved her life. (OK, maybe that's not strictly true, but who actually knows at this stage? It certainly misled the investigation as the police assumed she must still be alive since the account was being accessed.) Persuade people to stop buying the Sun and the NOTW for a week and cancel their Sky subscription until the football season starts again. I've said a million times that for all its faults, capitalism does at least give the people absolute power to destroy anyone and everyone that fucks with us if we choose to act together. Stop buying the paper for a week or two and you'll see them change their attitude instantly. The real militants can get on with boycotting advertisers (this is a longer, slower process but it can certainly be effective if the storm gathers momentum), but get people organised to boycott the newspaper(s) for one or two weeks and see what happens.
patiirc
Whilst the phone hacking of Milly Dowler's phone is fucking horrendous, I do wonder why the backlash spreads to all of Murdoch's Empire.

It seems that the NOTW was a completely shoddily run paper during that time with very dubious ethics and morals. It wasnt called News of the Screws as a nickname for nothing and the phone hacking and other crap is just another layer on top of the sleaze it exudes. Whilst you could apply it across the rest of the companies, and people in this case are doing so because 'its all the same innit', with no proof, I reckon it was mainly the FT staff and the Editors and decision makers at that paper that are the cause of this and not anything further.

Unless it becomes a wider investigation and other Murdoch based are drawn in the backlash about all the other publications and media outlets does seem well, a bit farcical. On one had you have the innocent until proven guilty ethos for the rest of the group and on the other you have people damning entire organisations because of a fault of one of its publications, assuming the whole thing to be guilty of some monumental cover up.

On another level, it could be said to be karma for the paper, having ritually destroyed peoples lives and a long list of 'stings' Its now having its guts ripped apart from the Police, the media and everyone else who wants to give it a good kicking. Im still unsure as to why this suddenly includes having a go at everything else Murdoch related as a by product. Im not defending Murdoch's empire, Im just failing to see the link between one shitbag of a paper and the staff who work/worked upon it and the rest of the organisation, even if it hasnt got the best reputation. FWIW I hope the police throw the book at whoever authorised and conducted the phone hacking for this and they get jail time if applicable, rather than what many of the celebs have done and accepted cash hand outs, and a half hearted apology on behalf of the paper

Kenny McBride
I think part of the problem is that it was apparently done with the knowledge of the editor who then became a player at No. 10 who now appear to be waving through what some consider a very worrying case of a major media organisation gaining overwhelming market share. While Murdoch himself may not have known the inner workings of the NOTW newsroom, there is a growing feeling that his power is too great and he needs to be cut down to size, literally and figuratively. If this is the incident that tips people over the edge, so be it. The entire Murdoch empire has done some spectacularly shitty things in its time, but Liverpudlians are the only ones who have really cared enough to do anything about it. To me, the Sun and Sky and Fox are just as scummy as the NOTW. They just haven't been caught doing anything blatantly illegal yet. And if you hurt the entire empire, Murdoch is forced to clean house just to make sure the contagion never spreads again. The Nestle account manager responsible for baby milk sales in Zimbabwe had fuck all to do with Nescafe in the UK, but a boycott of the latter changed the way the former was sold. That's how transnational corporations have to be hit, because otherwise economies of scale and "synergy" allow them to insulate themselves. Fuck that. Hit them where it hurts, i.e. everywhere.
DJ Kris
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Jul 4 2011, 19:30) *
I think this is pretty significant. Usually any unethical reporting is dismissed as typical tabloid shit but this is truly vile. I don't want to sound like a knee-jerk Daily Mail headline, but surely this deserves jail time?

I would have thought hacking into anyone's phone should be a criminal offence, but certainly interferring with an investigation in this way must be and I would like to see that pushed. I've felt for a long time that the press have too much freedom. I don't mean in terms of actual news, but more in the way they are allowed to make stuff up, use misleading headline and in cases such as this, the methods they use to obtain information. I believe there should be a point at which someone is able to say a paper has pushed it's luck too many times or has gone WAY too far and shut it down.

I used to love reading the Sun before my pub shut, I'd chuckle at some of its stories, particularly the more outlandish claims. Then I'd feel sad listening to some of my friends rant and rave about how terrible it was that X had done Y as if being printed in the paper made it true.

QUOTE (Kenny McBride Posted Today @ 01:50 PM)
Poor widdle Milly though...that's a different story, especially since they deleted evidence that might have saved her life. (OK, maybe that's not strictly true, but who actually knows at this stage? It certainly misled the investigation as the police assumed she must still be alive since the account was being accessed.)

This is the thing that makes it even worse. When all this was going on the media didn't know she was dead, her parents didn't know she was dead, nor did the Police. For all the person doing this knew she could have been kidnapped and leading everyone to believe she was not only alive, but able to access her phone could have prevented them from looking for her in the correct manner and could have cost her life. This may not have been the case, but the point is, the people behind this hacking did not know that, nor did they care.

Was it revealed how long after she went missing she was killed?
jobberinho
What Mr McBride said. Perverting the course of justice which is what we're dealing with here is looked on much more dimly than celebrity tittle tattle.
InvertedSmiley
QUOTE (patdfb @ Jul 5 2011, 14:10) *
Whilst the phone hacking of Milly Dowler's phone is fucking horrendous, I do wonder why the backlash spreads to all of Murdoch's Empire....

...Im still unsure as to why this suddenly includes having a go at everything else Murdoch related as a by product. Im not defending Murdoch's empire, Im just failing to see the link between one shitbag of a paper and the staff who work/worked upon it and the rest of the organisation, even if it hasnt got the best reputation. FWIW I hope the police throw the book at whoever authorised and conducted the phone hacking for this and they get jail time if applicable, rather than what many of the celebs have done and accepted cash hand outs, and a half hearted apology on behalf of the paper

Because the editor of the News of the World at the time of these latest allegations, Rebekah Brooks, is now the chief executive of News International.

Another former editor of the News of the World during the period of phone-hacking, Andy Coulson, went on to become the communications director for the Prime Minister of a government who are giving the green light for Rupert Murdoch to increase his influence in the British media.

I would be very, very surprised if some of these practices which are coming to light from Brooks' and Coulson's time at the News of the World aren't or weren't in action in other areas of News International.

The backlash shouldn't be restricted to Rupert Murdoch's News International, either. Why on earth did the previous investigation led by Assistant Commisioner John Yates of the Metropolitian Police into the phone hacking not uncover this latest revelation?
Astro Hollywood
It gets better
Psygnosis
Add Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman's families to the list.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/0...families-police

Beyond contempt.
Chris B
Anyone willing to give me odds on them having hacked into the McCann's phones?

THAT will be when this all kicks off properly.
Halitosis Romantic
Fucking hell... that's flat out despicable. My Mrs. is doing a course on the media and society, and I've been reading all these articles about how the size and profitability of the newspapers led to them being powerful organs of democracy, able to protect themselves from government interference. Think I might have her bring this shit up, the US newspaper runs a lot less sleazily (TV news is very different), being so regional.
buba3d
ford have pulled advertizing from them (not sure if its just the papers or sky sports themself)
http://twitter.com/#!/kumquatkid/statu...279743283200001
BionicRedneck
Npower and Halifax are considering doing the same apparently.
Glen Quagmire
I know I shouldn't be surprised with the tabloid hacks that infest the UK, but anyone who had any knowledgeable role in this should be sent to prison. And if David Cameron had any knowledge of this before his appointment of Andy Coulson, he should either go, and if he doesn't then either Nick Clegg should tell them that the Lib Dems are withdrawing from government or a coup within the Conservative party should happen. Leaders in other democratic countries have gone for less. Arguably Labour are no better in the way they were brought and sold when they were in power either. I don't wish to turn into a loopy conspirator here but I do wonder just how rotten the establishment is in Britain right now.
InvertedSmiley
QUOTE (buba3d @ Jul 5 2011, 17:46) *
ford have pulled advertizing from them (not sure if its just the papers or sky sports themself)
http://twitter.com/#!/kumquatkid/statu...279743283200001

They've withdrawn advertising from the News of the World and will instead advertise in The Sun.

QUOTE (Chris B)
Anyone willing to give me odds on them having hacked into the McCann's phones?

I was thinking that earlier.

I would be shocked if Kate and Gerry McCann - and their holiday friends, for that matter - haven't had their phones tapped.
johnnyboy
QUOTE (patdfb @ Jul 5 2011, 14:10) *
It wasnt called News of the Screws as a nickname for nothing...

Screws of the World surely?

If anyone is interested BitterWallet have compiled a list of contacts for anyone wishing to pressure advertisers etc.
http://www.bitterwallet.com/how-to-let-new...e-hacking/46578
Psygnosis
Channel 4 now saying Sara Payne (mother of Sarah Payne who was murdered in 2000) who campaigned for Sarah's Law heavily with The Sun and the NOTW may have been hacked into and a policewoman that co-hosted Crimewatch over the Jill Dando murder.
Van Dammer
Its so easy to hack a voicemail that its probably OK to say theyve hacked anyone and everyone they want to/can write a story about.
InvertedSmiley
QUOTE (Psygnosis @ Jul 5 2011, 18:53) *
Channel 4 now saying Sara Payne (mother of Sarah Payne who was murdered in 2000) who campaigned for Sarah's Law heavily with The Sun and the NOTW may have been hacked into and a policewoman that co-hosted Crimewatch over the Jill Dando murder.

I don't think it would be a stretch to suggest that all of the families who have been involved in high-profile murders and disappearances over the last 10-15 years may have been targeted.
Astro Hollywood
BBC News just tweeted this:

McCann family spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, interviewed by police after raising fears of suspicious activity on phone, @BBCNewsnight learns
Psygnosis
QUOTE (Woyzeck @ Jul 5 2011, 20:00) *
BBC News just tweeted this:

McCann family spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, interviewed by police after raising fears of suspicious activity on phone, @BBCNewsnight learns

Hold on to your hats.
David
The News Of The World seem to be shit out of luck these days;

Police are considering the concerns of a former UK Government minister who believes imprisoned ex-MSP Tommy Sheridan may have been wrongly convicted.

Tom Watson MP has written to Strathclyde Police asking them to investigate claims that email evidence apparently lost in transit to India had never left the UK.

Mr Watson said the emails may have had an impact on the outcome of Sheridan's trial for perjury during libel proceedings relating to allegations about his sex life that appeared in the News of the World.

Mr Watson, former Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence and the MP for West Bromwich East, told BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme: "In the trial the jury were told that emails had been lost when News International archived their records in Mumbai.

"The Information Commissioner confirmed to me in writing last week that is not the case.

"He said there are questions to answer and this morning I think the decision to incarcerate Tommy Sheridan was based on information (leading to) an unfounded decision because the jury were not in full possession of the facts."

He added that he had written to Strathclyde Police and asked them to look into the matter urgently.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman confirmed that they had received the letter and will consider the matters Mr Watson raised.

Information Commissioner Christopher Graham said: "We have received assurances from News Group Newspapers that in fact no emails were transferred to India."

Mr Watson also criticised the News of the World over claims a private investigator working for the newspaper hacked into the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler after she went missing.

He added: "Party leaders David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband, and perhaps even Alex Salmond, have got to put this matter right."

Mr Watson called on Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt to suspend a bid by the News of the World's parent company - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation - to take a majority stake in BSkyB.

Mr Watson said: "I think people up and down the land will be wondering why the Government should give 40% of Britain's media to the head of a company that is facing three police inquiries."

Mr Cameron said on Tuesday that he would not intervene in the consultation process, currently under way and due to conclude on Friday, to allow Mr Hunt to decide whether to wave through the merger or refer it to the Competition Commission.

Mr Watson added that News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks "should be, and probably will be, considering her position".

News International said on Tuesday that the allegations regarding Miss Dowler's voicemails were of "great concern" and said it would be conducting its own inquiry.

Ms Brooks also said she was "appalled and shocked" by the same allegations.

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said the relevant matters are reserved to Westminster.

Source: STV.com

Fuck knows how much Sheridan will be able to take them for if his sentence gets overturned.
Glen Quagmire
QUOTE (Van Dammer @ Jul 5 2011, 19:33) *
Its so easy to hack a voicemail that its probably OK to say theyve hacked anyone and everyone they want to/can write a story about.

That's no defence. A burglar can't claim innocence if the householder left their back door unlocked.
patiirc
QUOTE (David @ Jul 5 2011, 20:12) *
The News Of The World seem to be shit out of luck these days;

Swicthed off after that? (maybe) Have you cum over him yet.. Fucking nora. How gay? ( yes I appreciate the ramifications but your perma boner re sheridan is a bit hard to swallow (intentional pun)
Astro Hollywood
Yeah, nobody cares about Sheridan. He's guilty as balls anyway.
David
QUOTE (patdfb @ Jul 5 2011, 20:26) *
Swicthed off after that? (maybe) Have you cum over him yet.. Fucking nora. How gay? ( yes I appreciate the ramifications but your perma boner re sheridan is a bit hard to swallow (intentional pun)

You're a bit special, aren't you Pat? But you're funny, and that's why I like you wink.gif

On a serious note, it's an incredibly suspect situation for the News Of The World to find themselves in. In this sentence does get overturned (and there's a chance it will), you can bet that there'll be another court case. With Coulson and friends in the dock possibly.

As for your comments about Sheridan, I happen to know both him & his family very well. They've had to put up with a lot of shit (most of which would put you and you're stupid little situation with pub girl into context) that they don't deserve.
patiirc
QUOTE (David @ Jul 5 2011, 20:35) *
QUOTE (patdfb @ Jul 5 2011, 20:26) *

You're a bit special, aren't you Pat? But you're funny, and that's why I like you wink.gif

On a serious note, it's an incredibly suspect situation for the News Of The World to find themselves in. In this sentence does get overturned (and there's a chance it will), you can bet that there'll be another court case. With Coulson and friends in the dock possibly.

As for your comments about Sheridan, I happen to know both him & his family very well. They've had to put up with a lot of shit (most of which would put you and you're stupid little situation with pub girl into context) that they don't deserve.

It was incredibly suspect? During the trial in which he was tried and convicted in a Scottish court that you deigned to give us updates on that didnt iirc correct mention hacked mobile accounts (and so bored us to tears on?) So I was right on the fact, that you are gay for Sheridan. Fucking nora ( notice the tongue in cheek here whilst you nosh your hero)

I can bet that there will be another court case. Porquoi, the article you linked is based on what if's and maybes iirc it was video evidence and eyewitness accounts that sent him down even without the 'lost emails' Man, oh man. Anything else you'd like to add?

Before your heart bleeds for this miscarriage of justice?
King Pitcos
This is a fantastic blow in the TV/BBC vs Print war. Broadcasting Russell Brand telling Manuel he shagged his granddaughter and some phone voting scams are nothing compared to this sort of scummery. The next moral campaign in the tabloids against something relatively frivolous are going to look especially ridiculous now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.