Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Beatles Appreciation Thread
UKFF > Main > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Frankie Crisp
No, this isnít a Ďthey were great Vs. they were overrated Vs. Iíve got mental imbalances and think they were shití. Itís just a thread for Beatles fans to discuss, well, The Beatles. Your favourite songs, albums, sequences, lyrics, solo work or just generally chit-chat about how fucking tremendous they were.

I adore them. Always have, always will. My first taste was when my Nan played the Help! album (on cassette!) for me when I round at hers one Saturday afternoon whilst my Mum popped down to the market. I was probably about 11 or 12. Iíd heard plenty of their stuff on the radio but never really digested it, then when my Nan stuck the album on and left me to listen to it in full, I was hooked. Although there are dozens of songs I prefer to it, whenever I hear the intro to Ticket to Ride, it reminds me of my Nan and how she gave me my first proper experience of these four lads who were knocking around two decades before I was born.

I honestly canít remember how long itís been since Iíve gone more than a day without hearing a one of their songs. In some instances it might just be in the motor on the way to or from work but quite often itís a good hour or so when Iím in house doing work or just pottering about. Other times, it can be an all-day session whilst I sing like a berk and gradually piss my neighbours off throughout the course of the day. Like Iím doing now. This thread will hopefully generate a bit of discussion about why people like them, so Iíll not go into that level of detail at the start as Iíd probably end up going off on a tangent and maxing out the character limitations for a post.

So instead, Iíll start with links to a few of my favourite songs. If you asked me to post my other favourites tomorrow, thereís every chance that youíd get an almost entirely different list:

A Day in the Life - I mustíve heard this thousands of times and it still gets me every time.

Long, Long, Long - this just doesnít get anywhere near enough recognition.

Yes it Is

Cry Baby Cry

Medley 1 and 2 - I never really Ďgotí Abbey Road until I was in my mid-teens, but when that album clicked, Jesus, did it click. The end of it is just astonishing.

Rain - how the hell this was only a B-side is beyond me.

I also adore these clips, because of how much fun the four of them appear to be having. They mustíve been a nightmare for George Martin at times:

Iíll Be Back
No Reply
One After 909

Iíll finish up with some tracks from Lennon and Harrison who are unashamedly my two favourites by some distance, both within the band and as solo artists:

Instant Karma! - possibly my favourite Lennon solo song.

Well, Well, Well

Hear Me Lord - ABOVE AND BELOW US~!

Run of the Mill

Mind Games

Isolation

Jealous Guy - love this video.

So, what about you lot? What got you in to The Beatles? What songs/albums stand out? Do you think youíd ever tire of them or are they stuck with you for life? Links would be good, as we might even get a few non-fans on board who have never really given them a try.

Oh and if you donít like them, then no bother. Just donít turn this in to a debate over why your favourite band is better. You can start your own thread for that. We donít want you to spoil the party, so just go.
RIDDUM_N_STYLE
the beatles music is brilliant, have near enough the entire number 1s album on my ipod. my fave tracks are get back, hey jude, day tripper, come together, ticket to ride and 8 days a week. oh and in my life ( btw boyz ii men do a great version on their 'love' album)
WWFChilli
I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

Your Mother Should Know
I Love this song. It's has a lovely simple piano riff and it's impossible not to sing along too, sounds like something a grandad would sing to his kids.

When we was Fab - George Harrison
The best beatle for solo work IMO and this is just a great song.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
A very rocky yet atmospheric tune with an interesting lyrical content, it's almost like 3 songs in 1. Nice fusion of beats and changes make this a memorable one, even if the White Album has some forgettable stuff on it.

Helter Skelter
Full on rocking out showing the Beatles could attempt what became an early version of the Led Zep sound IMO. Although it's weird not to listen to this song and imagine a murder frenzy (manson murders).

You're Gonna Lose that Girl
My fave tune from HELP! I'm amazed this songs gets barely mentioned much.

Free as a Bird
Real Love
The last two 'official' Beatles tunes from 94/96. Although Free as a Bird is a great song and the bigger hit of the two, Real Love for my money is a better song, just moe uplifting, some great drum and sitar fills throughout and Harrison just amazing with the guitar callbacks. The video is also really sweet to watch, contrasting the glory days with 3 old fella's working there magic one more time.

Probably post more later, Beatles are fucking ace.
Dr.PeterVenkman
Always loved the way Lennon sang "In summer, meanwhile back" on Penny Lane
AshC
Hey Bulldog!

Macca thumbs! thumbs-up.gif
Kenny McBride
QUOTE (Dr.PeterVenkman @ Jun 25 2011, 14:19) *

That was Paul. wink.gif

I think they're pretty damn great. If you don't like the music, fine, but you can't even argue that they're not the most important band there will ever be. When you figure they were only active for seven years and churned out almost two albums a year plus singles, their output is truly incredible. I like to remind people that the whole Please Please Me album was recorded in one day. ONE DAY!

George Martin deserves a lot of credit. He invented techniques and equipment that changed the whole way music is recorded. He really was the fifth Beatle, especially after they became purely a studio band.

I could list a bunch of favourites but I'd be here all day. Later highlights though are Lennon's Rock'n'Roll and the first Travelling Wilburys album, especially Handle With Care.
FelatioLips
My Dad always had them on when I was a kid, and I grew up thinking Yellow Submarine was a playground song that every kid knew. I remember sitting at my Gran's going through his records of them and reading all the bits inside the sleeves and the lyrics and that.
Because I live with my Mum, and my Dad ended up being an absolute turd who I just stopped seeing, I never really heard much of them between the ages of like 7/8 to 18 but then decided I really should check them out again.

Can't say I love all their stuff like some people, but I do like an awful lot of it and appreciate why they're known as the greatest band ever. I'm a much bigger fan of their wackier stuff like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, I am The Walrus, Octopus' Garden, etc. I do like the more upbeat rocky stuff like Helter Skelter and Hey Bulldog too.

George Harrison was the best one.
Teedy Kay
I'm not the biggest of fans, but I do love a fair amount of their work.

My favourite Beatles album is Magical Mystery Tour, yes I know it's not Technically an album, more of a soundttack, and even then the CD version released was actually the US version, but I fucking love it.

Song wise, I love 'Something' and 'In My Life'

Their early work still strikes me as pop pap though.
Mr. Seven
QUOTE (Chili Dog)
I'm glad you took a risk with a thread like this because it's a red flag for some of the dickheads on the board to come and cry foul about them being shit so good god thanks for this topic.

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?
WWFChilli
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Jun 25 2011, 16:12) *
QUOTE (Chili Dog)

At the risk of upsetting Waterboy's intentions; you're not suggesting if you don't like The Beatles, you are thusly a dickhead, are you?

No not really just anyone who planned on coming in and being a cunt about the Beatles in a positive thread about them. Waterboy made the intentions clear and usually most music threads do decend into that type of nonsence.

I'm guessing you don't like the Beatles then Sev tongue.gif
Mr. Seven
That would be a bit of an understatement.
WWFChilli
QUOTE (Mr. Seven @ Jun 25 2011, 17:07) *
That would be a bit of an understatement.

Fair enough.
Dr.PeterVenkman
QUOTE (Kenny McBride @ Jun 25 2011, 14:55) *
QUOTE (Dr.PeterVenkman @ Jun 25 2011, 14:19) *

That was Paul. wink.gif

The in summer bit was Lennon
martyngnr
I absolutely love The Beatles.

You Cant Do That inlove.gif

I'm Down - Live at Shea Stadium I love the almost shambolic nature of this. It's basically 4 guys (well maybe not Ringo) having the absolute time of their fucking lives.

Solo material-wise I prefer Paul's stuff but -

John Lennon - Be My Baby I usually hate moody, slowed down cover versions but this is just wonderful.

Mattyc
I really started to take it upon myself to get into the Beatles around five years ago as far as getting my own copies of their albums, but theyíve been background music to my life for as long as I can remember thanks to my Dad who constantly played their music while I was growing up (with Queen, Kraftwerk, Michael Jackson and Madonna being the other major standouts).

When I took the time years later to listen to their albums I realised that due to growing up listening to them in the background I pretty much already knew all of their songs from memory without realising it. It's the same with the solo work, I got one of George Harrisonís albums a few weeks ago and I thought it would be new to me only to discover that I remembered it pretty much song for song due to the memories of it being played when I was a kid.

Just writing this post has actually bought back a memory of me watching the Yellow Submarine movie with my Dad, I must have been pretty young at the time. So yeah, theyíve always been there.

Like Teedy Kay my favourite Beatles album is also Magical Mystery Tour, the album just flows tremendously for me with not one track that I have the faintest hint of dislike for. Blue Jay Way is the standout track for me though, itís a song that needs to be listened to in the dark at a high volume with a good pair of headphones.

Blue Jay Way

When it comes to the solo work I enjoy plenty from McCartney and Harrison but I prefer John Lennon overall, the Double Fantasy album has some of my favourite songs of his like Cleanup Time, (Just Like) Starting Over, Woman and Watching the Wheels. Itís just a shame for every high that album has it getís bought down by a Yoko track.

Mind Games, Instant Karma, I Don't Want to Be a Soldier, How do you sleep are also favorites from Lennon that stand out to me.

For anyone looking to get into/find out more about the Beatles you cannot go wrong with the Anthology DVD, itís a wonderful documentary series that I think even those with only the faintest of interest in the Beatles would find enjoyable.

Edit:
Just two more things that have sprung to mind,

Don't let me down
One of my favourite Beatles songs is also the standout part of the 1969 rooftop concert for me.

Bungalow Bill
I'm linking this just because it's a song from the Beatles that pops up in my head way too frequently.
Loki
I've never owned a Beatles record or actively spent time listening to them, but I know practically every song. I suspect The Beatles have become a sort of race memory for English people.
hitman89762000
My favorite beatles song keeps changing sometimes its hey jude other times its a day in the life but this is my current favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-BzepTXkA

This boy.

Also as much as i love a day in the life by the beatles neil young delivers it even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbet0Ck-zfE
HarmonicGenerator
I saw this thread over the weekend, but as I was away, typing my thoughts on an iPhone would have been an arse, so I've waited until today.

I LOVE The Beatles. I think Zeppelin are probably my favourite band, but if I was forced at gunpoint and told I could only ever listen to one band's output, I'd pick The Beatles.

Has anyone been to the BEATLEMANIA museum on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg? It is INCREDIBLE. A five storey tall museum near the Beatlesplatz that tells the story of the band, and it's one of the best museums I've ever been to. I wish I spoke fluent German so I could apply for jobs there. It starts at the top level with their Hamburg career, with loads of memorabilia, goes down into Abbey Road Studios (full replica) and into a room full of all the various merchandise they had in the early 60s, with a panoramic surround-screen room of the Shea Stadium concert. You go down through Strawberry Fields into the Sgt Peppers zone, where you can have your photo taken in the album cover. You progress to the Engine Room of the fucking Yellow Submarine and then down to the giant headphones where you can listen to the differences between the two versions of Let It Be at your leisure. Even the exit signs are brilliant - in German, 'Ausgang', in English 'Hello Goodbye'. YES. Here is the website. If you're a fan, GO. Two hours from Heathrow.

Mattyc on page 1 talked about how
I pretty much already knew all of their songs from memory without realising it
and that's true of me as well. I really got into them in teenage years, and found that as I discovered each album, somehow I already knew the majority of the songs, without ever having consciously listened to them. It's a weird feeling. They're kind of ingrained in the mind - you know The Beatles without even knowing you know them, and you hear a song and think, 'wait, they did this one as well?'

They've been part of my musical knowledge from a very early age, though - one of my first musical memories is in reception (age 4 or thereabouts) at school, and one of the teaching assistants keeping us busy by teaching us the words to 'Yellow Submarine'. Quite a few of the lesser-loved songs have got strong memory connections for me - for example, 'Octopus' Garden' always takes me back to painting my nana's living room walls for her.

My favourite album is Sgt Peppers. I know this is akin to a Floyd fan liking Dark Side of the Moon or a wrestling fan liking Savage-Steamboat but it's such a good album. I love every single song on it. I also like Rubber Soul if that makes me seem trendier.

One of the most amazing things about them is the fact that no matter how you're feeling, The Beatles have a song that fits perfectly with your mood. Fallen in love? Something (maybe my favourite ever love song). Chilled out and content with life? Here Comes The Sun or Dear Prudence. Angry? Helter Skelter. Lonely? She's Leaving Home. Reflective? In My Life. And so on, and so on, I could go on for ages.

Sometimes you don't even know how relevant a song is going to be. I was never a huge fan of 'Yesterday' - it was good, but never a first choice. Then one day, about a week after my ex and I broke up (she dumped me. It was brutal.) I was driving to meet some friends and it came on the radio. The impact it had... that song was written about me, it had to be. I know it wasn't, really, but every word was right - it was exactly how I felt at that time. That, to me, is the mark of truly superlative songwriting.

I tried to make a CD of my favourite Beatles songs to put in the car. It ended up being 72 songs long - and that was me being selective. You know the moment at a gig where you hear the first notes of your favourite song, the one you came to hear? I saw McCartney last year and got that feeling about twenty times... I'm going to attempt to do as others have done and add a couple of links, and I will have to try really hard not to turn it into a 60-odd long list of links.

So, with that in mind, I'll try not to replicate songs others have linked to.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - one of my favourites. I always stick it one when I'm frustrated. There's something about that riff that appeals to anger.

Oh! Darling - does anyone else rate this as among their very best? It's a perfect fifties-style rock and roll love song. So simple, but absolutely gorgeous. Love it.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun - there's so much going on in this one. The lyrics are among the best of the 'weird' ones, the time/key changes really work, and there's this version from Across The Universe which is awesome purely for having Salma Hayek in a nurse's outfit singing the 'bang bang, shoot shoot' lines.

Speaking of Across The Universe, which I also love, there's this version of 'Let It Be' that cannot help but give me goosebumps all over the place. Stunning. The original version, of course, is just as stirring and moving. I think 'Let It Be' is one of those ones that's so well-known it's almost dismissed, but IT'S SUCH A GOOD SONG.

How do people rate the Love album from a few years ago? I really like it, there are some cracking re-arrangements in there. The best track, I think, is this absolutely wonderful version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. I'd put this above the original. Seriously, I prefer it.

(This is partly because Eric Clapton almost ruined my enjoyment of the original by effectively claiming credit for its quality in his book (my personal interpretation of his words). Damn you, Clapton, you're good, but it's George's song no matter how many solos you did!)

And finally, PAPERBACK WRITER. How amazing is this song? When people talk about the best Beatles songs, quite often they'll look to the post-live era stuff of Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, etc. But the early years have so many phenomenally crafted pop songs. Who couldn't love 'Paperback Writer'? Love, love, love it (love is all you need).

I'll stop now. But I inlove.gif The Beatles, and Frankie Crisp for making this thread. inlove.gif
Chilly McFreeze
Nice to see the Beatles love on this board for once. I'm off to bed now but will post some songs tomorrow, in the meantime, here's my favourate of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPWc_LUMrs&feature=fvst

everything about this song makes me smile, but mainly it's Ringo's drumming. It's so subtle, just ticking along, never taking over the song but completely making it. The change from the first verse to last, with a slightly different timing in the drums ( I think its about half a beat on the snare drum hit) is just beautifully done. I could listen to it all day.
Xavi
I absolutely love them. This is my favourite song.

I've Just Seen A Face

The Beatles will live forever.
Loki
QUOTE (Xavi @ Jun 29 2011, 11:37) *
The Beatles will live forever.

Well, that's definitely at least 50% not true.
Frankie Crisp
QUOTE (HarmonicGenerator @ Jun 28 2011, 22:42) *
I'll stop now. But I inlove.gif The Beatles, and Frankie Crisp for making this thread.

And I love you too for that brilliant, enthusiastic response. Just what I was hoping this thread would bring!

Reading most of these posts made me think ĎShit! Why didnít I mention that?Ē, but as HG said, itís nigh on impossible to be able to narrow Beatles songs down to one CD, let alone a handful to class as favourites.

Iím glad the Beatlemania museum was mentioned as itís given me a kick up the arse to arrange a trip over there. Me and a couple of my friends, who are also fanatical about them, have been saying for ages we should have a weekend away and thatís just made me wonder why hell we havenít sorted it out yet. To be honest, I usually go <- that way when I go on holiday as I love the US and Canada, but that museum is as good a reason for me to go -> that way.

One of the most amazing things about them is the fact that no matter how you're feeling, The Beatles have a song that fits perfectly with your mood. Fallen in love? Something (maybe my favourite ever love song). Chilled out and content with life? Here Comes The Sun or Dear Prudence. Angry? Helter Skelter. Lonely? She's Leaving Home. Reflective? In My Life. And so on, and so on, I could go on for ages.

Spot on. Not only is there a song for every mood, there are times when I love to put the entire discography on random and if I was listening to them for the first time, I could be convinced that I was listening to a compilation of different bands. I think The Beatles ([/pedant]) album is the best example of that, as they go from the sublime to the beautiful and back again, which excuses the few dodgy tracks that are on there. The old clichť is that if you took the best songs from the White Album, youíd get the best album they did but Iíve always said there are really only two or three songs I could do without on there and itíd be impossible to half it. And Christ, imagine what a decision that wouldíve been if some of Harrisonís songs hadnít been rejected and later put on All Things Must Pass.

Sometimes you don't even know how relevant a song is going to be. I was never a huge fan of 'Yesterday' - it was good, but never a first choice. Then one day, about a week after my ex and I broke up (she dumped me. It was brutal.) I was driving to meet some friends and it came on the radio. The impact it had... that song was written about me, it had to be. I know it wasn't, really, but every word was right - it was exactly how I felt at that time. That, to me, is the mark of truly superlative songwriting.

Again, bang on. I mean obviously the same can be said for any band, but in reference to the last point of yours I quoted, the Beatles back catalogue is that extensive for a band who were really only recording for 7 years, thereís no song that canít fit your current mood or situation. Right now, Iím going through a bit of a shit time as me and the missus broke up (wah wah wah) last week and in the last few days, so many Beatles songs have felt utterly perfect. Iím A Loser (not for the title, but for the content), Long, Long, Long, Things We Said Today and For No One have all been in my head over the last few days. They help, too. Itís like sodding therapy at times.

I tried to make a CD of my favourite Beatles songs to put in the car. It ended up being 72 songs long - and that was me being selective. You know the moment at a gig where you hear the first notes of your favourite song, the one you came to hear? I saw McCartney last year and got that feeling about twenty times... I'm going to attempt to do as others have done and add a couple of links, and I will have to try really hard not to turn it into a 60-odd long list of links. .

Thatís the sole reason I forked out for an iPod adapter for my car, so now itís a case of plug in, find Beatles, hit play and stick it on random. Perfect.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - one of my favourites. I always stick it one when I'm frustrated. There's something about that riff that appeals to anger.

Love it. I remember the first time I heard this and as the song went on, I was wondering how the hell they were going to end it. I knew they couldnít just fade out but wondering how theyíd turn the gradual build-up in to something climactic. With A Day in the Life, they did it to perfection so when I heard this one just fucking stop, I thought my tape player had spewed it. It was only when Hereís Comes The Sun came on, I realised that was how the song was supposed to end. I bloody love it.

this version from Across The Universe which is awesome purely for having Salma Hayek in a nurse's outfit singing the 'bang bang, shoot shoot' lines.

Speaking of Across The Universe, which I also love, there's this version of 'Let It Be' that cannot help but give me goosebumps all over the place. Stunning. The original version, of course, is just as stirring and moving. I think 'Let It Be' is one of those ones that's so well-known it's almost dismissed, but IT'S SUCH A GOOD SONG.

I really dug that film. It was out when I was travelling around the US/Canada for 3 months and although I was having a blast, I was pretty homesick and I watched this film not knowing what to expect. It was the prefect remedy and there are some really cool interpretations in that film. The Let It Be version is, as you say, nothing short of stunning. I also enjoyed the small references within the filmís dialogue, such as ďHey, where did she come from?Ē ďShe came in through the bathroom windowĒ and the like.

How do people rate the Love album from a few years ago?

I enjoyed this album when I first bought it, but I only really started to appreciate it after I saw the show in Vegas. The production on it is outstanding and I think coupled with the visuals of the show, itíll always stay with me as a fantastic, Beatles-related memory. I remember coming out of the show feeling drunk/high, because the whole experience just seem to possess me. One of my very favourite things is at the end of All You Need Is Love when thereís a rapid succession of clips, ending with the ĎThis is Jonny Rhythm, just saying good night to yis all, and God bless yisĒ.

QUOTE (Chilly McFreeze @ Jun 29 2011, 0:06) *
Nice to see the Beatles love on this board for once. I'm off to bed now but will post some songs tomorrow, in the meantime, here's my favourate of all time

everything about this song makes me smile, but mainly it's Ringo's drumming. It's so subtle, just ticking along, never taking over the song but completely making it. The change from the first verse to last, with a slightly different timing in the drums ( I think its about half a beat on the snare drum hit) is just beautifully done. I could listen to it all day.

I didnít even need to click on your link to know what song you were talking about. Itís so simplistic yet so addictive. Like you, I could listen to it all day and is one of the many examples of why the clichť of Ringo being a shit drummer is utter nonsense. I know from previous posts youíve made and your avatar that youíre a huge Beatles fan (Iím not calling you fat or anything), so I look forward to a longer post if you get chance.

QUOTE (martyngnr @ Jun 25 2011, 17:26) *
I'm Down - Live at Shea Stadium I love the almost shambolic nature of this. It's basically 4 guys (well maybe not Ringo) having the absolute time of their fucking lives.

YES! I mustíve watched the Shea Stadium gig more times than is healthy and this is one of the absolute highlights; McCartney cracking on whilst Lennon and Harrison are almost too happy to carry on, theyíre enjoying themselves that much.

Yeah, The Beatles weren't bad.
Mr.Showtime
I don't mind The Beatles. You know, they're just...there, always will be and it doesn't offend me. However, I believe Hey Jude is possibly the most overrated song of all time. It's terrible. The last five minutes are pointless, the first two minutes are lyrically uninspiring. I once read reviews from critics who labelled Hey Jude "engrossing", "hypnotic", and "astonishingly transcendental". Actually, it's just a pile of boring shite.
WWFChilli
We Can Work it Out
Love this tune, the drifting between Paul's happy vocals and John's more complexed view are fantastic mixes.

Another Girl
Lovely tune from Help, and the video is quite good too, fit 60's lasses.

You've Got to Hirde Your Love Away
Another great one from Help, John's vocal is fantastic on this.

You Never Give Me Your Money
I love the first bits of this, love the melody, it also reappears in the 'Carry That Weight' section at the end of the Album.

The Magical Mystery Tour
OK, the film isn't too amazing but I really love the intro song to the film, it's underated I believe among Beatles fans.

Fucking ace these lads
HarmonicGenerator
QUOTE (Frankie Crisp @ Jun 29 2011, 20:08) *
[
QUOTE (Chilly McFreeze @ Jun 29 2011, 0:06) *

I didn’t even need to click on your link to know what song you were talking about. It’s so simplistic yet so addictive. Like you, I could listen to it all day and is one of the many examples of why the clichť of Ringo being a shit drummer is utter nonsense. I know from previous posts you’ve made and your avatar that you’re a huge Beatles fan (I’m not calling you fat or anything), so I look forward to a longer post if you get chance.

I think Dave Grohl did the best refutation of the 'Ringo is shit' argument on that rock documentary series that was on BBC2 last year. He said words to the effect of he didn't care if people thought he was shit, 'without Ringo, there wouldn't be The Beatles, and without The Beatles, there wouldn't be The Beatles.' Personally I think Ringo's a great drummer - he's not showy, but he does exactly what he needs to for whichever song in question.

Saw a good retweet from Peter Serafinowicz on The Beatles tonight (can't recall initial tweeter):
What the Beatles did is even more astounding when you realize that they didn't have The Beatles as an influence.

I also love Beatles references in other places. Whether it's The Simpsons (and there are references everywhere there... the Be Sharps episode especially) or 'Baby You're A Rich Man' being used sublimely in The Social Network.

Frankie Crisp, I made a grievous error in my last post here. I should have ended it with "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the forum, and I hope we passed the audition". But I didn't. Maybe it's for the best. Oh, and GO TO HAMBURG. Seriously. Beatlemania is fucking MINT. I'd recommend heading there for opening time (10am I think) on whatever day you go - that's the time I went, and for the first half hour I had the place to myself. Everyone else was recovering from their Friday night, clearly. Also it was February and freezing cold which probably helped cut down the tourist numbers. But still, it meant I was free to be a total and complete fanboy without fear of embarrassing myself in front of others. GO!
WWFChilli
I REALLY want to see this Hamburg Museum as well now, it sounds the Dogs testes.

What's everyones thoughts on the Let it Be album, and the Documentary while were at it.
Frankie Crisp
QUOTE (Chilli_Dog @ Jun 29 2011, 22:50) *
We Can Work it Out
Love this tune, the drifting between Paul's happy vocals and John's more complexed view are fantastic mixes.

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Another great one from Help, John's vocal is fantastic on this.

Good shouts Chilli. Iím a huge fan of Lennon around this period. Thereís such bitterness and twisted views on love stemming from loads of the songs he wrote/co-wrote, but in many ways he delivered the lines in such a way that it diverted his unhappiness and just produced utterly fantastic songs.

QUOTE (HarmonicGenerator @ Jun 29 2011, 22:58) *
Saw a good retweet from Peter Serafinowicz on The Beatles tonight (can't recall initial tweeter):
What the Beatles did is even more astounding when you realize that they didn't have The Beatles as an influence.

That's brilliant. True, too.

Frankie Crisp, I made a grievous error in my last post here. I should have ended it with "I'd like to thank you on behalf of the forum, and I hope we passed the audition".

laugh.gif Funnily enough, as much as I love that little soundbite, the sycophantic guffaws which follow it usually make me cringe. Saying that, if I was stuck listening to The Beatles recording a song, I'd probably be halfway up their arses, too.

Oh, and GO TO HAMBURG. Seriously. Beatlemania is fucking MINT. I'd recommend heading there for opening time (10am I think) on whatever day you go - that's the time I went, and for the first half hour I had the place to myself. Everyone else was recovering from their Friday night, clearly. Also it was February and freezing cold which probably helped cut down the tourist numbers. But still, it meant I was free to be a total and complete fanboy without fear of embarrassing myself in front of others. GO!

I'm on it! I'm seeing the lads at the weekend and am going to suggest we get it booked in before the end of the year. We've already got to subject ourselves to a stag do in Benidorm (ack) at the end of August so a bit of cash is spoken for, but I still reckon we can make it over there pre-November as long as the self-employed lad gets a bit more work coming in. By the sounds of your descriptions, though, I'm tempted to pay for himself! Cheers for the recommendation thumbs-up.gif

Only just noticed the time. Now itís time to say good nightÖ
chokeout
Pauls voice about 40 seconds into Golden Slumbers is fucking awesome
bAzTNM#1
Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street" is a horrendous film, especially for Ringo's acting.

Soundtrack is bloody good though.
Kenny McBride
QUOTE (bAzTNM#1 @ Jun 30 2011, 8:25) *
Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street" is a horrendous film, especially for Ringo's acting.

Soundtrack is bloody good though.

And it features Giant Haystacks~!
chokeout
Ringo should stay away from acting forever. His scouse mexican accent in Candy being his crowning achievment
Carbomb
QUOTE (chokeout @ Jun 30 2011, 11:36) *
Ringo should stay away from acting forever. His scouse mexican accent in Candy being his crowning achievment

Unless you're counting voice acting, yes?
HarmonicGenerator
QUOTE (Frankie Crisp @ Jun 29 2011, 23:35) *
Oh, and GO TO HAMBURG. Seriously. Beatlemania is fucking MINT. I'd recommend heading there for opening time (10am I think) on whatever day you go - that's the time I went, and for the first half hour I had the place to myself. Everyone else was recovering from their Friday night, clearly. Also it was February and freezing cold which probably helped cut down the tourist numbers. But still, it meant I was free to be a total and complete fanboy without fear of embarrassing myself in front of others. GO!

I'm on it! I'm seeing the lads at the weekend and am going to suggest we get it booked in before the end of the year. We've already got to subject ourselves to a stag do in Benidorm (ack) at the end of August so a bit of cash is spoken for, but I still reckon we can make it over there pre-November as long as the self-employed lad gets a bit more work coming in. By the sounds of your descriptions, though, I'm tempted to pay for himself! Cheers for the recommendation thumbs-up.gif

If you're having trouble convincing them, I'd go for a 'lads weekend' angle because, seriously, the Reeperbahn is the ULTIMATE Lads Night Out. Huge long street, all bars and sex clubs and stuff. It's like all of Amsterdam on one road. With the Beatles.

QUOTE (Carbomb)
Unless you're counting voice acting, yes?

I know that you probably mean Thomas the Tank Engine, but he was great in The Simpsons. "P.S. Please forgive the lateness of my reply."
EdgarTheSlouch
Heres some of my faves:

McCartney Come and Get It

Ringo Snookeroo

Nobody Told Me - Lennon

George - Give Me Love
EdgarTheSlouch
QUOTE (chokeout @ Jun 30 2011, 11:36) *

Three words: The Magic Christian
EdgarTheSlouch
Just heard this for the first time other day - love it!
Frankie Crisp
Been listening to All Things Must Pass quite a bit lately and it just keeps on getting better. It's often labelled as the best of the Beatles solo work and I keep flitting between this and Plastic Ono Band as my favourite. Run of the Mill, as linked in my first post, is utterly brilliant.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well post this, which I saw the other day and couldn't help but laugh.

George John Paul Ringo Hughes charged with six burglaries on Merseyside

George John Paul Ringo Hughes has been charged with six burglaries in Prenton, Wirral.

The 18-year-old with the Beatles-inspired name was arrested on Monday morning on suspicion of burglary and was later charged with six offences.

Hughes, of no fixed abode, was set to appear at Wirral Magistrates' Court today

He should have known better (or insert equally shit gag here).

Oh and HG - Hamburg has been given the green light by my mates. We're looking to go in November so will hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the kick up the arse thumbs-up.gif
HarmonicGenerator
QUOTE (Frankie Crisp @ Jul 9 2011, 23:03) *
Been listening to All Things Must Pass quite a bit lately and it just keeps on getting better. It's often labelled as the best of the Beatles solo work and I keep flitting between this and Plastic Ono Band as my favourite. Run of the Mill, as linked in my first post, is utterly brilliant.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well post this, which I saw the other day and couldn't help but laugh.

Oh and HG - Hamburg has been given the green light by my mates. We're looking to go in November so will hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the kick up the arse thumbs-up.gif

Nice one! thumbs-up.gif I was wondering how you'd got on with persuading them. It's nice that Paul and Ringo have still got quite a strong connection with Hamburg - McCartney will tend to play there whenever he's doing a world tour, and the All Starr Band were there the other day (I know this because I have 'liked' Beatlemania Hamburg on Facebook and they just put up photos of the band visiting the museum.)

New subject - what are people's thoughts on Beatles films - as in films about them, rather than those featuring them or their music? I'm thinking the likes of Backbeat or Nowhere Boy.

I haven't seen the latter of those two, but I have seen Backbeat. I liked it, I think - Sutcliffe's not someone you hear about all that often (I found out most of my knowledge of him at Beatlemania, in fact) but I did think Lennon came across as a bit of a twattish character. Of course for all I know, that's what he was really like at the time, but even so, it changed the perception of his character I'd had in my head.

Can't think of any other films off the top of my head, but there's bound to have been some.

Ah! Yes, just thought of one - Robert Zemeckis' first film, which I think was called I Want To Hold Your Hand or something like that. It's about a group of American teenagers desperate to get into the Ed Sullivan Show audience for The Beatles' appearance. LOVE that film. I'm well aware it's not even slightly approaching a classic, but it's really good, light-hearted fun.
Frankie Crisp
QUOTE (HarmonicGenerator @ Jul 9 2011, 23:12) *
Nice one! thumbs-up.gif I was wondering how you'd got on with persuading them.

It didn't take much persuading as luckily, the lad who is self-employed has just had a big job come up. Flights are only about £60, which was a pleasant surprise.

As for your question, I also enjoyed Backbeat. Lennon was a twattish character and from what I've heard locally from my old man and his mates (it's astonishing how many of them 'knew him' laugh.gif ), he was a bit of a shithouse in his early recording years. Starting fights, dicking around with girls and generally a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Light years away from the man he ended up. Saying that, many of his earlier Beatles songs showed that and possibly wouldn't have come to fruition has be been a bit less fucked up in the head. Anyway, back to Backbeat. I really liked it when it first came out and after a few viewings my opinion hasn't changed. Certainly beats some of the other films made about the early years (if you ever see John Lennon: In His Life advertised, avoid it like the plague).

I know both you and I have mentioned it already in this thread, but Across the Universe is another film featuring their music which I enjoyed, albeit with all songs being covers. I forgot how much I liked I Want To Hold Your Hand, which is one of the more different takes on the original. It makes much more sense as the film progresses, too.

I've never seen the Zemeckis film you mentioned, but just dug it out on YouTube (part 2 here and linked thereafter, but I can't find part 1), so I might stick it on tomorrow.

Not film-related, but also light-hearted fun, is that I love living where I do because you can usually find a good Beatles tribute band on any given night on town. You can find plenty of shit ones too, mind. I saw an Argentinean band a couple of years ago at The Cavern on the 40th anniversary of Abbey Road who were superb and had a beer with us afterwards. They were as impressed with our accents as we were with their work. There's also a great resident band in B.B. King's Club in Times Square, if you're ever in New York. We spent Christmas dinner with them, it was ace!
Nostalgia Nonce
Hi guys!

I'm typing this whilst sat in a bar in Tenerife, having a drink with the guy in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86iJb_RRxRM

thumbs-up.gif
Frankie Crisp
You're with Matthew Corbett? Get him a bevvy!
HarmonicGenerator
Arbitrary piece of info: had a conversation at work yesterday about hobnail boots*, and ended up with 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' in my head all day because there's a line in it about said boots.

*(being worn by Civil War re-enactors. Like that makes it more sensible)
Kenny McBride
QUOTE (Frankie Crisp @ Jul 9 2011, 23:03) *

Did he come in through the bathroom window?
Max Power
QUOTE (Kenny McBride @ Jul 11 2011, 9:39) *
Did he come in through the bathroom window?

They never gave him his money.
Frankie Crisp
Quick heads up for anyone who hasn't seen it advertised; Lennon: The New York Years is on BBC1 tomorrow, at 10:45pm.
hitman89762000
I ''speak''on twitter to scot williams who played pete best in backbeat quite a bit top kopite as well.

As for the beatles films mentioned i love nowhere boy its amazing that it was the directorial debut of sam taylor-wood apparently..

plus it has this cracking song in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXlnzkSX8g in spite of all the danger.
AshC
I saw this thread over the weekend, but as I was away, typing my thoughts on an iPhone would have been an arse, so I've waited until today.

I LOVE The Beatles. I think Zeppelin are probably my favourite band, but if I was forced at gunpoint and told I could only ever listen to one band's output, I'd pick The Beatles.

Has anyone been to the BEATLEMANIA museum on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg? It is INCREDIBLE. A five storey tall museum near the Beatlesplatz that tells the story of the band, and it's one of the best museums I've ever been to. I wish I spoke fluent German so I could apply for jobs there. It starts at the top level with their Hamburg career, with loads of memorabilia, goes down into Abbey Road Studios (full replica) and into a room full of all the various merchandise they had in the early 60s, with a panoramic surround-screen room of the Shea Stadium concert. You go down through Strawberry Fields into the Sgt Peppers zone, where you can have your photo taken in the album cover. You progress to the Engine Room of the fucking Yellow Submarine and then down to the giant headphones where you can listen to the differences between the two versions of Let It Be at your leisure. Even the exit signs are brilliant - in German, 'Ausgang', in English 'Hello Goodbye'. YES. Here is the website. If you're a fan, GO. Two hours from Heathrow.

Mattyc on page 1 talked about how and that's true of me as well. I really got into them in teenage years, and found that as I discovered each album, somehow I already knew the majority of the songs, without ever having consciously listened to them. It's a weird feeling. They're kind of ingrained in the mind - you know The Beatles without even knowing you know them, and you hear a song and think, 'wait, they did this one as well?'

They've been part of my musical knowledge from a very early age, though - one of my first musical memories is in reception (age 4 or thereabouts) at school, and one of the teaching assistants keeping us busy by teaching us the words to 'Yellow Submarine'. Quite a few of the lesser-loved songs have got strong memory connections for me - for example, 'Octopus' Garden' always takes me back to painting my nana's living room walls for her.

My favourite album is Sgt Peppers. I know this is akin to a Floyd fan liking Dark Side of the Moon or a wrestling fan liking Savage-Steamboat but it's such a good album. I love every single song on it. I also like Rubber Soul if that makes me seem trendier.

I tried to make a CD of my favourite Beatles songs to put in the car. It ended up being 72 songs long - and that was me being selective. You know the moment at a gig where you hear the first notes of your favourite song, the one you came to hear? I saw McCartney last year and got that feeling about twenty times... I'm going to attempt to do as others have done and add a couple of links, and I will have to try really hard not to turn it into a 60-odd long list of links.

So, with that in mind, I'll try not to replicate songs others have linked to.

Oh! Darling - does anyone else rate this as among their very best? It's a perfect fifties-style rock and roll love song. So simple, but absolutely gorgeous. Love it.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun - there's so much going on in this one. The lyrics are among the best of the 'weird' ones, the time/key changes really work, and there's this version from Across The Universe which is awesome purely for having Salma Hayek in a nurse's outfit singing the 'bang bang, shoot shoot' lines.

How do people rate the Love album from a few years ago? I really like it, there are some cracking re-arrangements in there. The best track, I think, is this absolutely wonderful version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. I'd put this above the original. Seriously, I prefer it.

(This is partly because Eric Clapton almost ruined my enjoyment of the original by effectively claiming credit for its quality in his book (my personal interpretation of his words). Damn you, Clapton, you're good, but it's George's song no matter how many solos you did!)

And finally, PAPERBACK WRITER. How amazing is this song? When people talk about the best Beatles songs, quite often they'll look to the post-live era stuff of Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road, etc. But the early years have so many phenomenally crafted pop songs. Who couldn't love 'Paperback Writer'? Love, love, love it (love is all you need).

I'll stop now. But I inlove.gif The Beatles, and Frankie Crisp for making this thread. inlove.gif

Late to the party, but I think this is my favourite ever post on this board! Wonderful stuff!
EdgarTheSlouch
Slightly off-topic perhaps, but I was watching one of teh food channels over the weekend and they showed this:

Yellow Submarine Food Court

Food and the Beatles all in one? Awesome!
Frankie Crisp
I was going to link this story from GeorgeHarrison.com but it's taking an age to load, so here's the BBC version.

George Harrison documentary due for release, directed by Martin Scorsese

Martin Scorsese's documentary about late Beatle George Harrison will debut on US cable channel HBO this autumn.

Co-produced with Harrison's widow, Olivia, it will feature home movies and interviews with surviving Beatles.

Scorsese, who also made Rolling Stones documentary Shine a Light, said making the film was "a joy and an experience I'll never forget".

Living in the Material World will be shown in two parts in October. It will be available on DVD on 10 October.

Other interviewees include Harrison's friend Eric Clapton, John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, and record producers Phil Spector and George Martin.

Scorsese said the documentary had allowed him to spend time with Olivia Harrison "interviewing so many of George's closest friends, reviewing all that footage, some of it never seen before, and listening to all of that magnificent music".

He said the first time he heard Harrison's 1970 solo album All Things Must Pass "was like walking into a cathedral".

"George was making spiritually awake music, we all heard and felt it, and I think that was the reason that he came to occupy a very special place in our lives."

An accompanying book, written by Olivia Harrison, will feature photographs, letters and diary extracts from the star's personal archive.

Harrison, who died of lung cancer in 2001, wrote Beatles songs including Something and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. He enjoyed further success, as a solo artist, and with the 1980s supergroup Traveling Wilburys.

Can't see it being anything but great. Looking forward to the book, too.
hitman89762000
Having missed the john lennon episode of imagine on bbc last week i havent managed to find it on iplayer.. Did anyone on here record it and could they upload it for a download?.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.