Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List
UKFF > The Archive > Off-Topic Gold
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JLM
Cheers. I use lo-fi pretty often and that drops me in on page one, so spoilerising the list is good for me too.
Burchill's Buddy
I've had 2 in so far with Lemmings and COD4. I was going to go with ISS 98 (where I first fell in love with the series) but plumped for a newer version in the end.
LaGoosh
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 1 2009, 19:44) *
UKFFers say:
“Midas will tell you the reversals are broken. He's a mong and this is still the only wrestling game I've ever truly liked.”

laugh.gif Quality.

Good to see Call Of Duty in here. The single player campaign is fucking epic cinematic stuff. When that nuke goes off my mind was blown.
Onyx2
40. Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)

Metacritic score: 89

The critics say:
“Now, I hear what you're saying: "This Zombie is chewing on my foot, it deserves to be shot." But that's just the response that society has conditioned you to have. So even though this is a great game with good graphics, terrific sound, riveting action, and puzzles that will keep you entertained for hours... As a favor to our Zombie friends, do not buy this game.”
-Game Revolution
“Resident Evil 2 should be sponsored by Huggies - it's both pant-creamingly good and trouser-soilingly scary!”
-IGN

UKFFers say:
“Man, I loved this game. I played through it so many times with both characters. I got it down so I knew which bits of the story I could miss out and got my time down to under an hour. But not only was that awesome, the extra bits where you could play as an Umbrella squaddie or a lump of tofu were such amusingly pointless additions that I just loved it.”
“While some people would say that the first Resident Evil is the best and scariest in the series I would disagree. RE2 is one of the greatest sequels ever made and in my opinion is better than the first one, with a host of new characters(good and bad), new puzzles and new settings this game is much scarier and has much a better story to it.”
“Four entire games in one of awesome and difficult violence. New characters, better plot, less pony acting.”

Black2 says:
For me not a high point of the series. I fully remember the excitement of two of my friends shredding the cellophane from it’s box to play this though. I really appreciated the “play the game from the other person’s point of view” unlockable though, something they more or less carry through to today. You may or may not know that this game was due out nearly two years prior, when at 65% through Capcom said “No”, and started development from the beginning again.
Onyx2
39. Shenmue (Dreamcast)

The critics say:
“Generations X and Y are going to get a sense of what it must have been like to experience the "Ode to Joy" the first time Beethoven turned it loose on the world.”
-GamesRadar

“Gamers looking for a dramatic story line and an epic quest will be absolutely blown away by Shenmue. The amount of detail in the game is astounding as are the graphics, but if you're not the right type of gamer, you may not even notice.”
-CORE

UKFFers say:
“Before this, I’d never really connected with a video game character on any kind of level, but Shenmue was kind of …real. He did normal things, and brought me along for the ride. I got to fight with him, gamble with him and foil the bad guys with him, whilst beating off the ladies with a stick. Incredible storyline, incredible graphics and about ten years ahead of its time. What a game.”
“Not since Harvest Moon have I spend so much time just dicking around in a game. Buying collectible capsule toys, playing arcade games, occasionally continuing the quest. A staggering achievment of a game in every respect. It's a damn shame this story will seemingly never be completed. I was hoping GTA IV might resurrect some of that magic, but it didn't even come close.”
“Over stretched the technology, full of flaws, slightly stupid and it makes you drive a fucking forklift truck. Still amazing though.”

Black2 says:
A game that inspires religion-like obsession among its fans. I heard about it for years but never played it. When I did (in 2006) I was underwhelmed. It was so aimless, and I was desperate for some combat despite all the training. That said, I could see it was beautiful, layered, and the decent plot shone through the worst translation job ever. Up there ^ it was mentioned that it was ten years ahead of its time – I think that’s accurate, and re-released and updated with modern benchmarking has the potential to make it an amazing game.
Onyx2
38. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2 / PC)

The critics say:
“A low-key farewell to the PS2 rather than the explosive extravaganza we hoped for.”
-Games Master

“Its gameplay is challenging, its difficulty levels rewarding, and its action both stylish and thrilling, but the unimpressive aesthetics really can no longer be tolerated - especially in light of current next-generation capabilities that make Pro Evolution 6 look positively archaic.”
-Ferrago

UKFFers say:
“The highpoint (currently) of Konami's series. Football games come and go, but Pro Evo 6 is for life. Why? Because it feels like a football game. There's a reason I'm constantly updating transfers and kits and it's because nothing on the next-gen consoles have come close to slotting one past this game.”
“the best PES game in my opinion as it was ridiculously playable and was the current game at a really good time in my life. Played this game for an unthinkable amount of time with my mates, my brother, hell, even myself in the Master League. Brilliance.”
“This really is the beautiful game!”
“The pinnacle of the PES series so far (especially after the last two disappointing versions), and in my opinion the best football game ever (in terms of action simulation games). The gameplay is great, the editing options are very good, and whilst it isn’t as good looking as the latest version, it still has some great community support (for the PC version especially).”

Black2 says:
In a swing that confounded everyone, the series has failed to ignite in the current generation of consoles and starts to lose ground to the unstoppable chart behemoth, FIFA. This edition marks the critical high point for the series to date. I’m sure the formula will come good again soon.
Onyx2
37. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)

Metacritic score: 80

The critics say:
“Involving and exciting characters, storylines, and battles keep you glued to your seat - and keep you from noticing the many hours you spend playing this amazing game.”
-GamePro

“Teens in clam diggers save the world again. Doesn't have "FFVII's" rep, though.”
-EGM

UKFFers say:
“The story's pretty good, although it starts to tail off late on but that isn't too important with a few neat subplots; It's pretty easy to get sidetracked and there's more side-stuff on offer than LEVELLING!!1111ONE. One of the better boss fights happens fairly early on under 'exam' conditions. Also the first in the series where you'd want to bone the entire female cast, if you're into.. um.. *whistles*”
“This really is the unsung hero of the Final Fantasy series, the first one i played and the first one to truely hook me to the rest of the series. I can imagine that FVII and probably FFX will rank above this on the list but this game was really great.”
“The most heavily criticised of all the FF games, this one is like marmite. It's a lot different to the others, but the Draw system, coupled with some interesting characters, made for an enjoyable game.”
“Far better than number 7 due to a better story, a better look to the game, and a better feel of comedy throughout it.”

PICTURE A CHILDISH MANBOY HERE WITH SPIKY BLONDE HAIR HOLDING A SWORD BIGGER THAN HE IS

Black2 says:
I wasn’t a fan of VII; dipped my toe back in for X; I just don’t like this series. The same anime stereotype characters + turn-based combat? No thanks. Sure has a bunch o' fans though...
Onyx2
36. Halo (Xbox)

Metacritic score: 97

The critics say:
“Stunning graphics – from the individual blades of grass underfoot to the eye-popping 3D – married to crystal sound and gameplay more addictive than a Class A drug make for one lethal time-killing package.”
-FHM

“When you finally set down the controller the first time, and eventually hunger or exhaustion do force all of us to take a break, Halo has pulled you completely into its world and started one of the best sci-fi gaming adventures of all time.”
-GameStyle

UKFFers say:
“Quite simply perfect. Even The Library is awesome - it's supposed to be a repetetive fight for survival, and the first time around it works to a tee.”
“Completely reinvented the shooter genre. Multiplayer and online set the benchmark for all other games. Sequels hugely disappointing on all fronts.”

Black2 says:
It’s difficult to remember all the things Halo did to the FPS genre 8 years ago now… swapping between only two weapons… no defined levels… infinite health… all these were the ramblings of a madman before Halo came along and showed everyone the way. Not to mention the fact that it sold a shitloada Xboxes.

(PS for a big laugh visit the Metacritic review page and read the astonishingly sycophantic praise which is admittedly still good but not worthy fo the reviews of the time)
Onyx2
35. Guitar Hero III (PS2 / Xbox 360 / Wii)

Metacritic score: 84

The critics say:
“Guitar Hero may not be a universal pick-up-and-play party game in the way that, say, SingStar is, since there’s an initially steep learning curve, but for the inducted it’s a master in its class and no worse for a change of developer.”
-Jolt Online Gaming UK
“Neversoft has done an admirable job of recreating Guitar Hero's gameplay, and the new guitars, fantastic setlist and challenging note charts push the series forward, even if some players may not be quite ready to rock that hard. Features like the boss battles, online play and co-op could have made Guitar Hero III a legend itself but end up feeling unpolished.”
-GameSpy

UKFFers say:
“Being an accomplished guitar player and musician I didn't care for these games too much. Until i picked up gh3 and saw just how much fun it could be. Although rock band has gone on to push the genre more, gh3 had the song licenses, presentation and co op play.”
“Awesome soundtrack and great game play”
“The best of the bunch in my opinion before things got silly with the other instruments. Thorough set list of ‘proper’ songs and great downloadable content. With the addition of online multiplayer features which wasn’t available on earlier games. Still the best in the series.”
“Simple, but Terrific Fun!”
*makes devil horn sign, jams drumstick into jap's eye*

Black 2 says:
I’m a massive Guitar Hero fan, but it surprises me that this one is so well liked. I think this is the one where the advertising was everywhere, and is maybe most people’s first taste of it. The transition from Harmonix to Neversoft wasn’t smooth, and the sweet science of note placement is clearly not as easy as you might think as demonstrated by Neversoft’s bodged efforts. Those terrible battle and boss modes don’t help their case, utterly dreadful. Still, it goes to prove that with a good setlist the brand is strong enough to carry the game.
Onyx2
34. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Metacritic score: N/A

The critics say:
“The finest game I’ve ever played … addictive gameplay offering depth and challenge”
-Mean Machines
“It not only brought back the true, classic Super Mario Bros. gameplay experience after a brief departure in the turnip-flinging design of Super Mario Bros. 2, but also elaborated on it with brand new design elements including several new Mario modes to complement the standard Super Mario and Fiery Mario power-ups, as well as . It was also an extreme challenge, one of the toughest and most rewarding on the system.”
-IGN

UKFFers say:
“Revolutionary in the platforming genre. Inrtoducing world maps and intuitive level design this sits proudly above all 2d playformers”
“the best of the Mario games”
“Platforming at its most perfected core.”

Black 2 says:
As far as I’m aware, this is still the best-selling non-bundled game of all time (though I suspect Wii Fit is on it’s way…) and it’s not hard to see why. 2D platforming never got more perfect than this, with the blend of map hub, suits to give variety and crisp response from the pad. It’s probably Miyamoto’s finest hour.
Onyx2
33. The Secret of Monkey Island

Metacritic score: N/A

The critics say:
“The Secret of Monkey Island is an excellent game in all aspects. It has a clever storyline, great character design, funny dialogues, good graphics, and beautiful music”
-AdventureClassicGaming

“Monkey Island is a bold statement of intent from Lucasfilm, showing where they believe computer gaming should be heading. After scouring their land of pirates you may well be inclined to agree. It's funny, testing and far deeper than Loom. Monkey Island can completed, but will take far longer. if you've time for anything slower than a shoot-em-up, or you fancy trying your hand at an adventure but sicken at the thought of Orcs and Ogres, give it a bash.”
-Amiga Format

UKFFers say:
“The first game to ever make me laugh out loud.”
“the single funniest game ever. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’ve played some funny games in my time (Sam and Max, Leisure Suit Larry, Discworld) but this was the first game to reduce me to a gibbering wreck, sliding off my dining room chair (I didn’t have any decent seating for my desk at the time) and happily collapsed on the floor; the particle board making a beech coloured roof for my proverbial padded cell under the counter. It was the small things which always amused me most – the little comments by the supporting cast, and the animation when you finally achieved a goal (cannon fire, anyone?). A seriously challenging game, like a lot of games on my list, the hours I spent thinking about it was probably treble the hours I actually spent playing it. However, there was nothing like suddenly realising a connection between two objects in the middle of a Maths lesson, bearing in mind that Mr Black, as hard as he was, was also playing through at the time.”

Black2 says:
I have fond, fond memories of this. LucasFilm (LucasWare?) made the astonishing leap for the point ‘n’ click genre, by introducing the novel concept that you cannot die. It doesn’t sound like much but it allows you to keep trying things to reach the solution without fear of penalty (apart from that one nasty moment where it plays the Leisure Suit Larry death music…). I persuaded a friend to play it after borrowing a copy, but after about half an hour we realised he didn’t have an unformatted disc to save his game on (don’t ask, kids) so we just played the whole thing from beginning to end in one day. It’s brilliant, and it’s Wii etc. remake can’t come soon enough.
Onyx2
32. World of Warcraft (PC)

Metacritic score: 93

The critics say:
“It takes the essence of the MMO experience, breaks it down into its component parts, and plays up all the fun elements while actively minimizing the boring or tedious aspects. World of Warcraft is the MMO that nearly everybody can enjoy, and is a shining example of the game developer's art.”
-GameSpy
“The MMO we've all been waiting for. It does not blow away the genre, but it does hone it to near-perfection. I think the biggest problem you'll have is managing to play it in moderation.”
-IGN

UKFFers say:
“By far, the biggest stealer of my personal man-hours. A game so epic, its enormity can only be understood by playing.. It's got it's own economy, for fucks sake. The human factor produces so many amazing one-off moments that you'd never get in any other game, and 90% of my great moments as a gamer have come from stuff that's happened in WoW.”
“It's got 11 million subscribers and 23 million chinese goldsellers. One of the biggest games ever and compared to every other MMO it's so slick and well put together that most of them are happy bunnies. Just so well done.”
“Through the 4 years of this game being released, it has changed a lot, new content is added all the while. This game is undisputed in its claim as most the sucessfull MMORPG to ever be released and for good reason. The addictive nature of it, the very stylish slightly cartoony graphics create an immersive world and the gameplay, for an MMO is very good. It has something for everyone, the casual player and the more hardcore. This game really changed the MMORPG genre. It dropped from the number 1 position i would have given it in the last year due to the most recent expansion but it is still up there as a fantastic game.”

Black 2 says:
I delved into Azeroth for about three months and experienced a fair chunk of what it has to offer. I can certainly see the appeal but the variety of quests really lets it down. “Fetch me 12 badger pelts” gets a bit tedious after a while. There is an incredible world in there, utterly free-flowing and beautifully designed, I only wish what was done with it was slightly more gripping.
Nexus
Yay, my Number 2 and quote \0/

Although, the picture at the bottom of FF8 is actually from either FF7 or Dirge of Cerberus, as it shows Vincent Valentine. Minor point, but tongue.gif

Thanks for doing this biggrin.gif
Onyx2
31. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

The critics say:
“Some really sick stuff. The imagery and grotesque design of the enemies is disturbing, and the grainy film stock adds an element of brutal realism to an already upsetting game. Needless to say, we loved it...Not only disturbing and scary, it’s actually a lot of fun.”
-Hot Games

“Amid its many puzzles, creepy scares and flurries of combat, Silent Hill 2 has moments that are so human and painful--forget about “horror” for the moment--that they elevate the experience from a mere “videogame” to a jarring, unsettling look at pain, loss, despair and dread.”
-Electric Playground

“If "Resident Evil" was likened to "Night of the Living Dead," then think of Silent Hill 2 as "Twin Peaks," minus the damn fine coffee, but plus the atmospheric gloom and cast of insane deviants, with the entire mixture then taken out back into the woods, shot, hacked into small chunks, and buried.”
-GameSpy

UKFFers say:
“Survival horror sits just behind beat'emups as my favourite gaming genre, and this is right up there with the best. It's better than Project Zero, better than Siren, better than any of the Resi games from when they were still survival horror. It's just amazing. One of the few games that truly delivers a cinematic experience and is genuinely quite disturbing and moving at times. An absolute mindfuck of a game and you have to love it for that.”
“One of the most anticipated sequels in gaming history (well for me it was) SH2 doesn't disappoint. An absolutely fantastic game that has shocks and scares galore and so much more. This is a worthy addition to the SH franchise and indeed to the entire survival horror genre and of course lets not forget that this is the game that introduced us to one of the scariest gaming characters ever created in the form of Pyramid Head”

Black2 says:
I’m really pleased to see this in the chart, it’s easily the pinnacle of the series and probably the genre. You can sail through it as a creepy ride, but if you take your time and really think about what’s happening it’s an incredibly deep plot. Essentially the central character is wracked with guilt and the Silent Hill world manifests itself as sexual revenge. Massive essays have been written about it’s meaning. But if you push that aside then you’re still left with a game blessed with a tense and tight game structure. It’s method of choosing difficulty separate for puzzles and action is a brilliant one and something I wish more games would implement. If you think you’re clever, try the puzzles on Hard…

By the way, two words... PYRAMID HEAD.
Onyx2
QUOTE (Nexus @ Jul 2 2009, 20:57) *

Although, the picture at the bottom of FF8 is actually from either FF7 or Dirge of Cerberus, as it shows Vincent Valentine. Minor point, but tongue.gif

It's from dirge of cerberus. Curse my working too fast!
neil
Amazed at GH3 being picked. The worst of the series in my opinion. GH2 was far superior as a game.

As Black2 mentioned, GH3 suffered from poor note alignment, shitty shitty boss battles, and worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.
seph
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 2 2009, 22:02) *

the replacement's somewhat better biggrin.gif
Onyx2
QUOTE (sephjnr @ Jul 2 2009, 21:11) *
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 2 2009, 22:02) *

the replacement's somewhat better biggrin.gif

What do you mean?

worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.

I'd totally forgotten about the absurd difficulty spikes. Yuk. All GH-style games should have a "no fail" option like the newer ones do, it's just no fun in party mode when someone lets the team down.
Harvey Dent
I'm pleased to see a few of my quotes come up, I tried to make an effort to say something interesting althought admitedly sometimes I just couldnt think of many more describing words. Major props to Black2 for all the presentation effort, really is awesome.
Gladstones Bitch
Only played on 1 game from the last bunch ( Mario 3 ) and it sort of made my pick but I cheated and lumped them all together on Super Mario Allstars tongue.gif
Mitch
Surprised to see Guitar Hero 3 there, thought thatwas universally panned by players. So glad to see Silent Hill 2, that was my number 1 game, a masterpiece.
Mr. Seven
LOLZ at Black2's Final Fantasy VIII picture replacement faux-pas.

Just kidding man, appreciate the good work you're doing, you're entitled to a mistake. Or two. wink.gif
Nexus
The replacement is from FF7, I think >:

Lul.

Burchill's Buddy
QUOTE (neil @ Jul 2 2009, 22:09) *
Amazed at GH3 being picked. The worst of the series in my opinion. GH2 was far superior as a game.

As Black2 mentioned, GH3 suffered from poor note alignment, shitty shitty boss battles, and worst of all for me, catered strictly to the elite GH players where furious button mashing was considered fun. Trying to get through "Reign In Blood" on expert was a truly miserable experience for me.

I reckon GH1 or 2 might still be to come (I'd be pretty shocked if GH3 got more votes) I'm with you on Reign in Blood on Expert. A painful chore rather than a song. Same goes for Knights of Cydonia which would have been the best song on there had they not ballsed up the note chart.
Majik
2 games, 2 quotes smile.gif. I'm surprised at the GH3 hate - it dropped out of my list at the very last minute (alongside Lemmings, funnily enough). I think y'all are right - it was my cherry popping into GH and therefore has a place in my heart.

Majik
Tommy!
I've yet to have anything make the list, but i wouldn't say anything shouldn't have its place so far. I thought the first 2 GH games were batter than 3 but i assume one of them may place higher too.
Burchill's Buddy
QUOTE (Majik @ Jul 2 2009, 22:45) *
2 games, 2 quotes smile.gif. I'm surprised at the GH3 hate - it dropped out of my list at the very last minute (alongside Lemmings, funnily enough). I think y'all are right - it was my cherry popping into GH and therefore has a place in my heart.

Majik

Perhaps I was being unfair, I dont really HATE it, I still spent countless hours with it and some of the songs (Cliffs of Dover, Stricken and Bulls On Parade especially) were great fun to play....I think you just got a sense when Neversoft took over that it was being made for quick cash rather than Harmonix's games which you can tell are made by people who love the genre.
Onyx2
QUOTE (Nexus @ Jul 2 2009, 21:41) *
The replacement is from FF7, I think >:

Lul.

Cos I hate the series, I can't tell one from another. I have to rely on people labelling them correctly. I'll just delete the second picture and have done with the bloody thing!
Just Me
I marked out a little to see a quote from Mean Machines.

As outstanding as the original Shenmue was, I preferred Shenmue II and voted for that. I doubt it'll appear higher in the chart though, as even if people agreed with me after thinking about it, they probably just voted for the first game to represent the (tragically incomplete) series.
Fog Dude
I marked out a little to see a quote from Mean Machines.

I did the same for the Amiga World quote.

Anyway, those ten were a real mixed bag, SMB3 clearly being the highlight, it being probably my second favourite of the core Mario games. Sadly I don't think the one I went for will be more popular. Monkey Island is also more than deserving of its place. It's not the humorous point-and-click I went for, but I'm a big fan of the series, so I hope to see more of them higher up.

I expect Resi 1 and 4 are still to come, and I didn't see the original Halo coming, but I guess 2 will also appear now. Suppose I shouldn't be too shocked by WoW either, but it never crossed my mind when compiling my list. So, apart from that, another footie sim gets in, plus a few more games I'm sure are all right but I've never been too bothered about. Pretty much only the presence of a Guitar Hero game in there is even remotely objectionable. Never got the appeal of that genre at all.
Gatso
Lemmings & Call Of Duty narrowly missed out in my top 15.

Although Red Alert 2, Mario Bros 3 & Pro Evo 6 were on my list so good to see them listed.
TildeGuy~!
Mario 3, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 8 were also in my list.

Was thinking maybe Resi 2 would have been ranked higher as i'm still waiting on 4 even though I didn't vote for it.
MRMIdAS
QUOTE (Fog Dude @ Jul 3 2009, 1:39) *
I didn't see the original Halo coming, but I guess 2 will also appear now.

why?

it was the worst in the series, from both a multiplayer and single player POV.

it's the reason Halo 3 has a theatre mode, and a huge contributor to the reason you can report cheaters on live with a few button presses.
Chest Rockwell
QUOTE (Whinehouse @ Jul 2 2009, 14:22) *
Being quoted was nice, but reading it back, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense sad.gif

Tell me about it; mine was the long rambling quote for COD4 (complete with censorship and all, as it was sent from my work email address!)... Nice to see it there though.

2 of my picks have made it so far; SFIV and COD4. Also incidentally the two newest games on my list.

As far as GH goes; none of them made my final list, but GH3 is my favourite of the series. The earlier ones had those awful soulless and unlistenable cover versions of songs that each sucked a respective big fat one.
Onyx2
QUOTE (Chest Rockwell @ Jul 3 2009, 9:52) *
complete with censorship and all, as it was sent from my work email address!)

I left the censorship in, it was cute!

As far as GH goes; none of them made my final list, but GH3 is my favourite of the series. The earlier ones had those awful soulless and unlistenable cover versions of songs that each sucked a respective big fat one.

That is totally unfair of the first one certainly, most of those covers were awesome.
Chest Rockwell
Fair enough.. I haven't played the first one, just GH2. I made an assumption and then pretty much lied. My bad! I am willing to accept that the covers might have been better in GH1 than GH2 for some reason..

I've got this real urge to play "Cliffs of Dover" now that I've been thinking about Guitar Hero....
Loki
QUOTE (MRMIdAS @ Jul 3 2009, 4:47) *
QUOTE (Fog Dude @ Jul 3 2009, 1:39) *
I didn't see the original Halo coming, but I guess 2 will also appear now.

why?

it was the worst in the series, from both a multiplayer and single player POV.

it's the reason Halo 3 has a theatre mode, and a huge contributor to the reason you can report cheaters on live with a few button presses.

Yeah, I'm shocked to see Halo this low down. I assumed it'd be a lot higher. If Halo 2 comes the top of the series, some of you need your head examined! It'll be interesting to see what FPSes come in above Cod4 and Halo.

Some good titles so far - Mario 3 and Silent Hill 2 are both worthy.

Good shit so far, Black2 you hunk of gorgeousness.
Joe_the_Lion
I didn't vote for Halo 2 but it does get a slightly raw deal - remove the Arbiter levels from the equation and the single player campaign is awesome.
MRMIdAS
QUOTE (Joe_the_Lion @ Jul 3 2009, 11:35) *
I didn't vote for Halo 2 but it does get a slightly raw deal - remove the Arbiter levels from the equation and the single player campaign is awesome.

it's not the substance, more that I've had wanks longer that H2's campaign.
NEWM
Absolutely nothing from my list so far, which I assume means I've picked stuff nobody else likes, or hugely hugely popular titles. Looking back over my top 15, I predict over half will appear in the actual top 15.

Great, great work so far Black2. Thanks.
insert_name_here
yinyang.gif Fuck yeah i'm so glad my top pick(Silent Hill 2) made it into this list somewhere, so far including that i've had 4 out of 15 of my picks make the cut and i have a feeling that there'll be a few more to come as well.
Burchill's Buddy
QUOTE (Chest Rockwell @ Jul 3 2009, 11:23) *
I've got this real urge to play "Cliffs of Dover" now that I've been thinking about Guitar Hero....

Probably the most fun song in any of the Guitar Hero games
Onyx2
"More Than A Feeling" is the most perfect Guitar Hero song ever. See why, here.

Spoilered here for non-clickers:

Gwailofilms
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 3 2009, 16:13) *

The Rock Band version is one of my favourite tracks to play.

On the subject of Cliffs of Dover, it has to be the happiest tune in any guitar bashing game. You can't play it or even hear it without a smile on your face.

None of my picks are here yet, which means I've either picked stuff nobody else cares about or I'm Mr. Mainstream. That said, there are many awesome, awesome games here which just didn't quite scrape into my "favourites" list.
Burchill's Buddy
QUOTE (Black2 @ Jul 3 2009, 16:13) *

Yeh fair enough, I played that and 'Iron Man' to death on GH1
patiirc
20 games gone and still none.. woot yeah duh.gif

Anyhoo.> Secret of Monkey Island.. yes, yes yes, didnt put on me list cos although good ive not played it in eons, back in the amiga days tbh.. was it this one or Le Chucks that had the spitting contest? that was funny, as was the game, gotta love ole Guybrush.

Super Mario 3.... *shudders* Oldtimer alert, ive never really gotten the Mario games after the 1st Super Mario Bros on the Nes... Ive tried them all up to Super Mario Sunshine, but they dont click with me. The raccoons cocking tale and other such cack in this didnt appeal at all. Please some one explain to me why i should give the series another go?
LaGoosh
QUOTE (patdfb @ Jul 3 2009, 20:06) *

Anyhoo.> Secret of Monkey Island.. yes, yes yes, didnt put on me list cos although good ive not played it in eons, back in the amiga days tbh.. was it this one or Le Chucks that had the spitting contest? that was funny, as was the game, gotta love ole Guybrush.

Super Mario 3.... *shudders* Oldtimer alert, ive never really gotten the Mario games after the 1st Super Mario Bros on the Nes... Ive tried them all up to Super Mario Sunshine, but they dont click with me. The raccoons cocking tale and other such cack in this didnt appeal at all. Please some one explain to me why i should give the series another go?

The level design in Mario games is second to none. They are exciting, funny and challenging. The games have real charm due to it's cartoony graphics and soundtrack. Best and most important game series of all time.
Just Me

Join the club. Though I fully expect it's because the top 15 will be comprised of my list in its entirety.
KFR42
QUOTE (LaGoosh @ Jul 3 2009, 20:09) *

The level design in Mario games is second to none. They are exciting, funny and challenging. The games have real charm due to it's cartoony graphics and soundtrack. Best and most important game series of all time.

I always felt mario games severly lacked something until they went 3d. IMO the level design was dull. Good games, but not as fun to play as Sonic the hedgehog. Obviously once both games went 3d the tables turned.
FelatioLips
Sonic does 2D better
Mario does 3D, kart games, party games and RPGs better.

Sonic did an alright pinball too, and i'd say Mario did a better fighter, but Sonic is in Brawl with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.