Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Varg Vikernes Released
UKFF > Main > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
King Mal the Glorious
Was wondering when the British press would pick this up. I imagine if it wasn't for the media hype (and his attempted escape) he would have been out a few years ago.
Au
The last thing I remember reading about him was this so hopefully he's come along a bit in the last five years...
King Mal the Glorious
He seems like he's grown up and just wants to get on with his life now. I look forward to any music he makes in future, though I doubt he'll ever make something as good as, say, Filosofem again.
JLM
I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

It'd be nice if he could lay off the arson, murder and extreme far right writings though.

QUOTE (Varg)
Race hygiene, because it is proven scientifically that it is damaging for people. If you mix a negro and a German, you don't get the developed organisational skills from the German and the strength of a negro you get a weaker result of the two.

What a lovely term.
Chest Rockwell
QUOTE (offspringrule @ Mar 13 2009, 16:32) *
Was wondering when the British press would pick this up. I imagine if it wasn't for the media hype (and his attempted escape) he would have been out a few years ago.

laugh.gif

And if he hadn't burned down three churches and killed a guy he wouldn't be in there in the first place...
Rob Edwards
QUOTE (offspringrule @ Mar 13 2009, 16:37) *
He seems like he's grown up and just wants to get on with his life now. I look forward to any music he makes in future, though I doubt he'll ever make something as good as, say, Filosofem again.

Crushing album. I read that he doesn't want to do rock music anymore because it's too African, though.
DJ Stevie C
Utter scumbag, shit band fuck off.
Psygnosis
QUOTE (JLM @ Mar 13 2009, 16:41) *

It'd be nice if he could lay off the arson, murder and extreme far right writings though.

QUOTE (Varg)
Race hygiene, because it is proven scientifically that it is damaging for people. If you mix a negro and a German, you don't get the developed organisational skills from the German and the strength of a negro you get a weaker result of the two.

What a lovely term.

Damn that line to hell sneaky.gif

and agreed thumbs-up.gif
Keith Houchen
QUOTE (DJ Stevie C @ Mar 13 2009, 17:21) *

Yep.
martyngnr
He is a complete tool. But i must admit to laughing when i read that when asked to provide a blood sample he refused and said "if they want blood it must be taken with a knife or axe". Now THAT would have been funny to see!
Seratonin
This is really weird... I was listening to a colleagues iPod at lunch and he mentioned depressing... I asked if he had any Burzum.

I became fascinated with the band Mayhem but I'm not a fan of their music. The suicide/death thing that follows them interests me though.
Vito

Good music isn't for everyone.
DJ Stevie C
QUOTE (Vito @ Mar 13 2009, 19:03) *

Neither are vocals that sound like you're trying to get out a particually sticky shit.

The music itself had its moments but sounded like it was recorded in a basement in neck deep water.
Keith Houchen

Varg Vikernes being one of them.
Vito
QUOTE (DJ Stevie C @ Mar 13 2009, 19:07) *

Neither are vocals that sound like you're trying to get out a particually sticky shit.

The music itself had its moments but sounded like it was recorded in a basement in neck deep water.

That's kinda the point of Black Metal though.
DJ Stevie C

And that's why I wasn't really a fan.
Vito
At least you bothered to try it before forming an opinion. Most people wouldn't.
neil

QUOTE (Varg)

What a lovely term.

I think he has a valid point though.

And before the UKFF PC brigade gets going I'll point out that I have a German-African friend who is weak and couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery if he tried.
bAzTNM#1
QUOTE (Varg)

What would happen if you mixed a Chinese and an Italian?
Vito
QUOTE (bAzTNM @ Mar 13 2009, 19:18) *

The food would be exquisite, but if you ask them how they made it they'll shoot you.
DJ Stevie C
QUOTE (Vito @ Mar 13 2009, 19:12) *
At least you bothered to try it before forming an opinion. Most people wouldn't.

Oh I listened to loads, grew up with 'metal' remember so it was hard to avoid anywayI've listened to stuff like Nefilheim, Immortal, Emperorm Burzum, Mayhem, loads of others I can't remember, sometimes I could get on with it but being a fan, nah. It just speaks to me as being heavy for heavies sake without a lot of major skill invovled.

I prefer a bit more power and a bit less theatracal, things like Crowbar, Stuck Mojo, Pantera or something with a cleaner sound like Slayer, Sepultura or earlier Fear Factory.
bAzTNM#1
QUOTE (Vito @ Mar 13 2009, 19:23) *

The food would be exquisite, but if you ask them how they made it they'll shoot you.

Oh, you are good. thumbs-up.gif
DJ Stevie C

A Chaitai or an Itanese?

How about an Eskimo and a Mongoloan? Would that be an Emo?
Keith Houchen
QUOTE (DJ Stevie C @ Mar 13 2009, 19:46) *

A Chaitai or an Itanese?

How about an Eskimo and a Mongoloan? Would that be an Emo?

It wouldn't really matter, those slitties all look the same.
KingOfMetal
So long as he doesnt subject to another ambiance album, i'll be happy
bcwdarkside
Burzum were one of the main influences in getting me into black metal during my teenage years. Can't say much for the albums released during his prison years but I enjoyed all of the non electronic albums smile.gif
There used to be a website that hosted a sort of diary of his, he said in it that he would no longer play any form of 'metal' as the origins of metal were influenced through *black* music..pardon the pun.
SpiritOfTheForest
Excellent news! I'm a self confessed Burzum fanboy and see Varg as being a musical genius. Hvis Lyset Tar Os and Filosofem especially. Those albums are simply perfect. I also really appreciate his ambient stuff (although Hliskjlf much more so than Daui Baldrs). I hope to god there is a new Burzum album as Varg must have so many new ideas inside his head after being locked up for so long. Burzum are certainly one of, if not my ultimate, bands of all time. Everything about them (him?) is perfect. Burzum = a quintessential band and if you cannot see the value in his music, then music is simply not for you.
Ebb
madness!

the story of this gets printed in Kerrang at least once every two months.
Keith Houchen
QUOTE (kendo @ Mar 14 2009, 3:28) *
Burzum = a quintessential band and if you cannot see the value in his music, then music is simply not for you.

Go on then, elaborate on this please.
Rob Edwards
Burzum is fucking wicked, but if you're not into heavy music, I don't think it's going to be Burzum which changes someone's mind. Dunkleheit is still one of my favourite songs ever, though.
Clumsy Dad
I dont listen to much Black Metal any more but one of the bands I still occasionally put on my MP3 player is Burzum, particularly the album Filosofem. If he did some more music Id certainly be interested to hear it; although I found his ambient albums a bit of a letdown I think with more time and some better quality instruments hed be capable of creating something interesting.
DJ Stevie C

Ah

He's no Devin Townsend

Clumsy Dad
QUOTE (DJ Stevie C @ Mar 13 2009, 19:28) *
Oh I listened to loads, grew up with 'metal' remember so it was hard to avoid anywayI've listened to stuff like Nefilheim, Immortal, Emperor Burzum, Mayhem, loads of others I can't remember, sometimes I could get on with it but being a fan, nah. It just speaks to me as being heavy for heavies sake without a lot of major skill invovled.

Id agree that some Black Metal is very simple and requires little ability, but its wrong to include Emperor on that list as Ihsahn is a highly skilled musician.
SpiritOfTheForest
QUOTE (Keith Houchen @ Mar 14 2009, 9:48) *
Burzum = a quintessential band and if you cannot see the value in his music, then music is simply not for you.

In my opinion, the atmosphere Varg conjures up is unparalleled and what's more, no matter the style he writes he creates this great atmosphere. And black metal really is all about the spirit and the atmosphere. For example take 3 Burzum songs, War, Det Som En Gang Var and Tomhet. War is a straight up thrashy number with insane vocals and a really fun thrash riff and a wicked solo (written by Euronymous as an interesting trivia point). It sounds totally insane and brings an atmosphere of unstability, insanity and general craziness (and who can deny the awesomeness of "This is.......waaaaaaw!" Det Som En Gang Var is one of the most atmosphere songs I've ever heard. It builds and builds, with the keyboards providing this eerie, ethereal feeling of longing and gloom for "What Once Was." It's hard to put it into words, it's the kind of thing you will either feel or you won't. Tomhet is simply beautiful. Totally ambient, it consists of just a few notes on a loop for 15 minutes. About 7 minutes in, the pattern changes and this gorgeous little melody comes in and the listener gets the feeling that he is leaving his body, ascending over cold forests and grim mountains and eventually floating through the vast nothingness of space (hey give me credit for crying tongue.gif) No matter what kind of music you listen to, you have to appreciate Varg's ability to create such feelings and atmosphere. I stand by the fact that the man is a musical genius.

Also any Burzum fans looking for more similar stuff check out Vietah, Wolves In The Throne Room, Xasthur, I Shalt Become, Marblebog and Sombres Forets for starters
DJ Stevie C
QUOTE (smp @ Mar 14 2009, 11:37) *
QUOTE (DJ Stevie C @ Mar 13 2009, 19:28) *
Oh I listened to loads, grew up with 'metal' remember so it was hard to avoid anywayI've listened to stuff like Nefilheim, Immortal, Emperor Burzum, Mayhem, loads of others I can't remember, sometimes I could get on with it but being a fan, nah. It just speaks to me as being heavy for heavies sake without a lot of major skill invovled.

Id agree that some Black Metal is very simple and requires little ability, but its wrong to include Emperor on that list as Ihsahn is a highly skilled musician.

Possibly true, I'm really not say I think it's devoid of any talent but it's really not music I get on with on a personal level. I do respect it though. Apart from when it invovles racist homophobic murderers. Or midgets called Dani. Though CoF are faker than anything on the planet.
SpiritOfTheForest
Cradle of Filth haven't been black metal since 1996 though. The early stuff was pretty good (excellent musically) but Dani's schoolgirl shriek spoils things as usual, though not at all to the degree he drags down modern Cradle. However he is undisputedly a fantastic lyricist. If you collected all of Cradle of Filth's lyrics together you'd have enough to make a gothic novel
Ebb
i aint much of a fan of Black Metal, i am however fascinated with the genre. I love reading about that stuff, it's a pretty intense lifestyle.
Keith Houchen
QUOTE (kendo @ Mar 14 2009, 13:07) *
QUOTE (Keith Houchen @ Mar 14 2009, 9:48) *

In my opinion,

That's the bit I was looking for. I appreciate where you are coming from but I think Burzum are shit. That doesn't mean that music isn't for me, it means Burzum aren't for me.
SpiritOfTheForest
Fair doos. What is it you dislike out of interest? The vocals I'm guessing
Seratonin
Musically and lyrically black metal like Burzum or Mayhem doesn't appeal to me. I will admit to being interested by the scene and drama surrounding it though. I love Opeth though, but not sure if you'd consider them black metal?
Psygnosis
QUOTE (Seratonin @ Mar 14 2009, 17:11) *
Musically and lyrically black metal like Burzum or Mayhem doesn't appeal to me. I will admit to being interested by the scene and drama surrounding it though. I love Opeth though, but not sure if you'd consider them black metal?

There early stuff I would, but they seem to have gone a different direction lately (not thats a bad thing)
Keith Houchen
QUOTE (kendo @ Mar 14 2009, 16:46) *
Fair doos. What is it you dislike out of interest? The vocals I'm guessing

I know how pretentious this sounds but I try not to listen to music in parts, more the sum of its parts. The vocals were a part of the whole picture of what was being created but the whole thing/finished article just did nothing at all for me. I found it boring.

However, it has been a while since I listened to Burzum so I tried again tonight but I found what I heard crashingly boring, saying that though there was one song that had a moment but that is all. I guess I find Black Metal (not the Venom album) more pretentious than Tool and probably myself.
Rob Lowe
(and who can deny the awesomeness of "This is.......waaaaaaw!"

I can, I just listened to it and its fucking gash. I'm now listening to Filosofem and its just the same 5 seconds repeating over and over with muffled vocals over the top. I wont be buying the greatest hits anytime soon, its not for me.

I didnt know anything about this guy or his history. Its actually given me something to talk about in regards to Norway, I literally only had "Where vikings came from" ten minutes ago.

This has led me on a dreaded late night wikipedia journey. From Varg Vikernes to ystein Aarseth to Mayhem to Per Yngve Ohlin to Dawn of the black hearts cover back to Euronymous over to Theistic Satanism to Satanic ritual abuse and then to the fascinating McMartin preschool trial!

Anyway the bottom line is that this chap is a psychotic lowlife and should be sectioned, yet the guy he murdered seems just as or even more of a psychotic lowlife than Vikernes himself. Every cloud...
Psygnosis
Got myself a copy of Filosefem, Its very good!
SpiritOfTheForest
Filosofem is a masterpiece. The fact that it is repetitive is the point. The goal is to "hypnotize" the listen with the droning repetitive riffs. the ethereal keyboards and the tortured vocals. It's amazing that Varg managed to create such vocals using just a headset. Indeed, 10th March will become a historic date in black metal history. Not only was Varg granted parole, but Infernus confirmed that he had won the rights to the Gorgoroth name.

Just remembered another great Burzum song in "My Journey To The Stars". That riff is SWEET!
Psygnosis
I'm a big fan of Sunn O))), hows my reputation doing? tongue.gif - its a very good album definately I shall have to look more in to the Black Metal scene, not a fan of the corpse paint and what have you, but I definately like the music they produce.
Ebb
QUOTE (kendo @ Mar 15 2009, 4:29) *
but Infernus confirmed that he had won the rights to the Gorgoroth name.

meaning what?? that Gorgoroth won't be called Gorgoroth no more?
King Mal the Glorious
QUOTE (Ebb @ Mar 15 2009, 9:16) *
QUOTE (kendo @ Mar 15 2009, 4:29) *
but Infernus confirmed that he had won the rights to the Gorgoroth name.

meaning what?? that Gorgoroth won't be called Gorgoroth no more?

No. The gaahl and King versio won't be called Gorgoroth, but the Infernus version will. Which is good, as I imagine they'll make better music and not be ttention whores.

Also, the line I just read about Black Metal "being heavy for the sake of it and requiring little musical ability" is possibly the most wrong statement I've ever read on here.
SpiritOfTheForest
I find it hilarious that Infernus' line up reads as follows: Infernus, Pest, Tormentor and....Frank Watkins! Hopefully Gaahl and King will be pissed due to the whole trial business and will get a big kick up the arse musically and make their rawest, most hateful release yet. The last albums were a little stale. Similarly, with the line up the true Gorgoroth, it's likely that the upcoming album will slay. Gaahl and King's incarnation is rumoured to be called "The Force Gorgoroth" by the way. Poor name...

And the aforementioned statement is ludicrious. Minimalism does not = lack of musical ability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.