TNA

TNA World Heavyweight Title - Page 1

WBA

WBA Intercontinental Title - Page 4

WBA International Title - Page 4

WWWF/WWF/WWE

WWE/F Intercontinental Heavyweight Title - Page 3

WWF World Light Heavyweight Title - Page 3

I said I'd start it so here I am delivering upon it. I'm starting off with the NWA World Heavyweight title belt, I would have liked to go into more detail but I've knocked this up, I hope it is ok. If you have any questions, suggestions or anything else, please let me know.

Enjoy

Rule One

NWA World Heavyweight Title

First Belt

NWA%20World%20Heavyweight%20Title%2020.jpg

Dates in use: 7/1948 - 1959

First holder: Orville Brown

Last holder: Pat O'Connor

Maker: Unknown

• Used before 1948, Orville Brown was the current World champion (Won 5/1/1948) and was recognised as the first National Wrestling Alliance World Heavyweight champion.
  • The National Wrestling Association (Then ran by the National Boxing Association board.) absorbed its title into the Alliance world Heavyweight title due to Lou Thesz winning the Alliance version.
  • During Lou Thesz's first reign as Alliance World Heavyweight champion he also unified the title with the Los Angles version of the World Heavyweight title and a few other associated World Heavyweight titles.

Second Belt

NWA%20World%20Heavyweight%20Title%2010.jpg

Dates in use: 1959

Edited by Rule One

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware the first NWA title belt held by Orville Brown was the first World Heavyweight title belt in wrestling to be recognised as THEY world title, worldwide but prior to 1948 when the NWA was founded the United States was made up of various regional promotions which each had its own version of the World Title but when promoters from those regional territories teamed up to create the NWA in 1948 those titles were consolodated together to create the NWA World Heavyweight title.

However there are records which show that in 1905 Georg Hackenschmidt held a World Heavyweight title as did I believe Frank Gotch some years later but the NWA Worlds Title was the first to be recognised nationally and worldwide. The NWA gained more prestige during Lou Thesz' first reign after Orville Brown was forced to hand over the title due to automobile accident. During Thesz reign he captured the Los Angeles Olympic Auditorium World Heavyweight Title, which in theory was they other nationally recognised World Title alongside the NWA World Title. Thesz was made the first Undisputed Champion in Wrestling on May 21st 1952 I believe it was...Jericho who? lol

Edited by C-Rock

Love the post about the NWA title, some great tidbits there that I'd never heard before. A great read. I was wondering if you were planning a post on the current incarnation of the TNA heavyweight belt at some point as I've realised after starting to watch Impact again that I absolutely bloody love the thing and would love to know more about it. Keep up the great work!

Cheers to those who have read this thread and those who have commented.

Fascinating stuff there. So is the first incarnation then generally the earliest known wrestling belt, or were there others before it?

No, as C-Rock said there is lineages/traces back to George Hackenschmidt as a recognised World champion in 1905, the National Wrestling Alliance were the first force to actually get their version recognised as thee world title around the world. I've seen some 'World' belts date back to the mid-late 1800's but information about them is so sparse they'd be nothing much to say on the subject.

Love the post about the NWA title, some great tidbits there that I'd never heard before. A great read. I was wondering if you were planning a post on the current incarnation of the TNA heavyweight belt at some point as I've realised after starting to watch Impact again that I absolutely bloody love the thing and would love to know more about it. Keep up the great work!

Thank-you for the kind words, much appreciated.

I forgot to mention, there is a book about the NWA World Heavyweight title called the 10lbs Of Gold which was written by Dick Bourne and Dave Millican, I haven't read it yet as I'm waiting on the revised edition to come out, which should be soon. It probably has a lot more information on the belt and its history.

As for the TNA World Heavyweight title, I'll knock up a small piece on it either today or tomorrow. Unfortunately there won't be much said on it.

Edited by Rule One

• Paid Members

I remember thinking the original TNA World title (2007-2010 one) was a piece of miserable shit. I remember Angle went to do an interview with Scott Mills on Nuts TV and it looked grey under the lights. Like the paint was coming off it. To make matters worse the side plates used to fall off all the time, making it look like a cheap bit of tat.

There's bits of old side plates lying about everywhere I imagine. Here's one in TNA's production truck.

Atg3349CEAE8zIk.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words.

Ian, considering you are avid Hulkster fan and if I can get enough information on them, I will try and do a piece on the XWF belts. One of the Tag-Team titles recently sold for next to nothing ($800) in real belt terms, gutted I couldn't get my hands on it but I have other things that my money needs to be spent on.

Also I'd love to drop some big bombs up in here but I've got to be respectful to some of my contacts/belt owners.