The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Harmony Korine and Larry Clarke's films were probably my first venture into indy cinema, i remember watching Gummo around the time it came out and it genuinely frightened me, i didn't know what the fuck i was watching, i think i came across it in Bizarre magazine and for some reason it appealed to me, fucked up shit. I wouldn't call mysel a fan of either but i that initial experience of seeings their films has stuck with and i remain curious of their work.

Just read about this over on wikipedia, an unfinished Harmony Korine project named Fight Harm:

Fight Harm is an abandoned project by Harmony Korine filmed in 1999. The premise was to verbally provoke passers-by into a fight. The rules were Korine couldn't throw the first punch and the person confronted had to be bigger than Korine.[1] To Korine, Fight Harm was high-comedy reminiscent of Buster Keaton. "I wanted to push humour to extreme limits to demonstrate that there's a tragic component in everything." [2] Filmed in New York, the project was abandoned following the injuries Korine received while shooting.

what the fuck.

• Paid Members

That sounds brilliant. And it also clearly shows what a retard he is.

"I'm going to make a film about getting people to beat me up....now I have to cancel the film because I keep getting beaten up."

• Moderators

That thing about art being subjective, where a stack of old urinal cakes wins the Turner Prize; Harmony Korine actually disproves that a little bit. He's the perfect example of what happens when there's zero talent or meaning behind something, and his output is clearly just bad, in the way that the people he's trying to emulate aren't. He seems to 'get' being an outsider artist, and tackles the kind of subject matter that, in the hands of someone who actually had something to say, could be any good, but it's all just empty, random weirdness. I probably find him fascinating because he (like me) clearly idolises Werner Herzog, and Herzog's friendship with him is completely baffling to me. So much of his stuff is just a terrible attempt to emulate that Herzogian style, but with a complete lack of understanding or vision, and zero deeper meaning. For a while Hollywood had a bit of an emperor's new clothes thing going on with him, but really quickly it became obvious there's just nothing there, so nobody cares anymore.

The footage from Fight Harm probably doesn't exist now, because his house burnt down a couple of years ago, and he lost everything he owned.

• Paid Members
I've been on something of a found footage kick recently and watched a whole bunch of movies. Grave Encounters, Atrocious, Exhibit A ( not really a horror but IS found footage ), Lake Mungo and other stuff.

What are the best movies in the genre?

"Cannibal Holocaust"? UK DVD is cut to shreds though, might want to grab a torrent of it. Brutal.

Watched an uncut version of it weeks back. I'm no animal hugger (except dogs, they're cool) but the animal killings are unbelievably harsh. For example, some guy just grabs some monkey looking thing by the back of its neck, and slices it open, down the middle, with a big fuck-off dagger, right in front of the camera. No need for it.

Film's animal killings add nothing to the film. Absolutely nothing.

Cannibal Holocaust isn't a bad film, but the animal cruelty really turns me off it, especially the scene where they hack up a turtle. As for Harmony Korine he's a completely talentless idiot. Trash Humpers is complete and utter bollocks of the highest order.

Archived