The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Romero is on there for Martin as well which probably makes him the winner with 4

2 for Tobe Hooper, 3 for Carpenter, 3 for James Whale not many more jumping out at me

Edit: 3 for Cronenberg as well

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know whether Romero has lost his touch, or whether he was always a bit of a shit filmmaker but just had a few genuinely brilliant ideas. I don't think I've ever seen a film in the cinema that's as bad as Diary of the Dead.

Is that the one with some English guy playing a professor (or something) who just sits there moaning like a shit Shakespearean actor, getting pissed and talking nonsense?

• Paid Members

Honestly, congrats for making it through Diary of the Dead. Romero wasn't just a filmmaker with a couple of good tricks, he was truly a wonderful director for a long time. Now, however, I don't know if he just rushes and wants money (remember, he's made nowt off of NotLD), or if he's past it, or what. Happens to the best. Except Cronenburg.

• Paid Members
Why did Romero make nothing off "Night of the Living Dead"? Thanks!

I might be wrong but I think it was financed with mob money and he retained none of the rights.

Not only that but in a monumental screw up they left off a copy write deceleration from the print which was needed to retain owner ship for anyone. Effectively NOTLD is public domain so anyone can make money from it. Companies only have owner ship of the individual prints they use for there releases. Its why there are so many version of it from so many different companies.

Honestly, congrats for making it through Diary of the Dead. Romero wasn't just a filmmaker with a couple of good tricks, he was truly a wonderful director for a long time. Now, however, I don't know if he just rushes and wants money (remember, he's made nowt off of NotLD), or if he's past it, or what. Happens to the best. Except Cronenburg.

Yeah, he just keeps getting better and better; he's possibly the best director working today, for me. Thing is, he was never just a horror director, he worked in that genre but has moved off into the less stylised thriller genre, and so has been able to keep innovating and changing. Directors like Romero or Carpenter, as good as they are, are probably only really good at that style, and once that genre moves on they're left behind.

• Paid Members

Romero is a good filmmaker. Perhaps not latterly but he's more than just the Living Dead series. The Crazies is a steaming pile of turd, but Monkey Shines, his half of Two Evil Eyes, Creepshow and especially Martin are all quite varied and good films in their own right.

• Paid Members

I might be wrong but I think it was financed with mob money and he retained none of the rights.

Not only that but in a monumental screw up they left off a copy write deceleration from the print which was needed to retain owner ship for anyone. Effectively NOTLD is public domain so anyone can make money from it. Companies only have owner ship of the individual prints they use for there releases. Its why there are so many version of it from so many different companies.

I've not heard the mob money thing - Texas Chainsaw was distributed by Bryanston, though, who were almost certainly affiliated with the mob-run Bryanston Pictures, who made Deep Throat.

And yeah, the fuck up with NotLD was the distributor, The Walter Reade Organization [Walter Reade on Hammond organ, and a young Rod Stewart on vocal duty], putting the copyright notice on the original title card for Night of the Flesh Eaters, but neglecting to copyright Night of the Living Dead.

• Paid Members

I've not heard the mob money thing - Texas Chainsaw was distributed by Bryanston, though, who were almost certainly affiliated with the mob-run Bryanston Pictures, who made Deep Throat.

And yeah, the fuck up with NotLD was the distributor, The Walter Reade Organization [Walter Reade on Hammond organ, and a young Rod Stewart on vocal duty], putting the copyright notice on the original title card for Night of the Flesh Eaters, but neglecting to copyright Night of the Living Dead.

Yeah I wasn't 100% on the mob money part so I could be confusing the two.

• Paid Members

Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula had the same distributor, as did a bunch of notable non-horror movies (Coonskin, Dark Star, Way of the Dragon). They also were one of the distributors of Late Night Trains, but they weren't as brazen as Hallmark, who did their traditional renaming of the movie as at least one of Last House - Part II / New House on the Left / Second House on the Left / The New House on the Left

Archived